• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Can You Live Without a Car in Singapore?

CheeByeKiaTonyChat

Alfrescian
Loyal
A car is a tool to make poor fucks envy you.

08-2014-audi-r8-v10-plus-fd.jpg

fucktard

instead of posting an obviously internet downloaded audi pic and claiming you have one, why don't you post a photo of you holding a copy of today's newspaper standing beside your real audi.

i know you cannot. you will claim that why should you but everyone here know it is because you don't have it. :biggrin:

real fucktard.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Get NEA to get you a good price for Brompton bikes lah! :biggrin:

I was looking at getting a bicycle but decided against it because parking is a problem. If you follow the law you will probably never find a legal parking spot.

There is also the problem of bicycle thieves. When was the last time you read about the police successfully catching those thieves:confused:

jw5

Loyal
Owning a car in Singapore are more of a burden, unless you really need it, as public transportation are pretty convenient.

even if I run my own business in Singapore, I will not own a car, it more of a headache like your mistress......:biggrin:

Ya man, if she can be our mistress, what makes us think that she won't also be the mistress of 10 other guys? :biggrin:

peppertail

Alfrescian
Loyal
I take BMW (bus, mrt, walk) to work. From my block to MRT is 10 min walk. From Tampines to north, I need to change from EW line to circle line, then NS line. And the bus to final destination daily. Return home is the reverse. It takes 1 hour and 15 min one way.

As I get older, I can feel the strain on my legs walking from my block to MRT, in between MRT lines. Not to mention the frustration trying to catch the trains while some people walking slowly during peak hours watching video clips or message on their phone, people who don't Q and the mrt staff yelling at us to give way.

FTs have no such problems. If they work in North, they move to North and just cycle or walk to work.

Walking is good exercise, especially for the elderly and why don't you move closer to your work???

Don't be such a sissy!

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
As I get older, I can feel the strain on my legs walking from my block to MRT, in between MRT lines. Not to mention the frustration trying to catch the trains while some people walking slowly during peak hours watching video clips or message on their phone, people who don't Q and the mrt staff yelling at us to give way.

If you older &/or recovering a heart attack it is really bad. I don't know how the old can support the PAP because many of their policies make life harder for everyone.

I can remember life when Spore had a population of 2.5+ million. Back then cost of car ownership was more affordable. Heck everything was cheaper:eek:

peppertail

Alfrescian
Loyal
I was looking at getting a bicycle but decided against it because parking is a problem. If you follow the law you will probably never find a legal parking spot.

There is also the problem of bicycle thieves. When was the last time you read about the police successfully catching those thieves:confused:

There are like 100 shops in Singapore selling foldable bikes. You can store them in your office. Your reason for not getting a bicycle is a very lame excuse. Don't cheat yourself.

Last edited:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
There are like 100 shops in Singapore selling foldable bikes. You can store them in your office. Your reason for not getting is a very lame excuse. Don't cheat yourself.

Do you see people actually using these bicycles on a daily basis? I suspect most load them into their cars & drive off to a park & use it there.

How many people actually get a bicycle to commute to work?
A bicycle is just not practical in Spore. Try squeezing a bicycle into a train during rush hour & you will know what I mean. Even during off peak hours the trains & buses are too crowded. My colleague had a bicycle parked near his cubical & was told by the boss not to do that.

peppertail

Alfrescian
Loyal
You might as well ask him to get work closer to his home.

What's the big problem? Woodlands, Sembawang, Yishun, plenty of housing choices there. Alternatively he can get a folding bike to bring onto the train.

I moved 3 times in 3 years just to get close to my workplace in Germany. Singaporeans have it good!

peppertail

Alfrescian
Loyal
Do you see people actually using these bicycles on a daily basis? I suspect most load them into their cars & drive off to a park & use it there.

How many people actually get a bicycle to commute to work?
A bicycle is just not practical in Spore. Try squeezing a bicycle into a train during rush hour & you will know what I mean. Even during off peak hours the trains & buses are too crowded. My colleague had a bicycle parked near his cubical & was told by the boss not to do that.

Why are you so concerned about what other people do? The issue here is your own commute to work. Do what works best for you, no need to copy.

A folded bike is like a small suitcase. Plenty of people take it on the train every day. Of course it is more inconvenient as compared to no 'suitcase' but there is no free lunch.

I am also very sure you can find a small corner in your office to store that 'suitcase' for the day without obstructing anybody. If you don't, you are probably not trying hard enough.

Last edited:

bryanlim1972

Alfrescian
Loyal
are you really that thick? i'm starting to smell a troll.

most singaporeans do not live the lives of swinging singles and rent as they please; few do, most don't. typically they live with their families and own their homes. (don't start a debate on ownership of a 99yr lease, that horse has been flogged to death)

location choice for homes is typically a compromise between cost and convenience for everyone. and with typically 2 breadwinners or more per household, its unfair to pass such flippant, uncaring comments like "just move closer to your workplace"

if your agenda is to rile everyone up with your bullshit, you're succeeding. if you want to learn more about singapore, then ask nicely and grow a thick skin.

What's the big problem? Woodlands, Sembawang, Yishun, plenty of housing choices there. Alternatively he can get a folding bike to bring onto the train.

I moved 3 times in 3 years just to get close to my workplace in Germany. Singaporeans have it good!

babuSingh

Alfrescian
Loyal
I would say if you don't earn at least $8k per month, don't bother buying a car.

I know a few friends who earned 3k a month before cpf deduction and their car installment costs 1.5k not including erp and petrol. And every month still has money to do those rubbish mods. Sometimes i wonder if they have money to eat?

peppertail

Alfrescian
Loyal
are you really that thick? i'm starting to smell a troll.

most singaporeans do not live the lives of swinging singles and rent as they please; few do, most don't. typically they live with their families and own their homes. (don't start a debate on ownership of a 99yr lease, that horse has been flogged to death)

location choice for homes is typically a compromise between cost and convenience for everyone. and with typically 2 breadwinners or more per household, its unfair to pass such flippant, uncaring comments like "just move closer to your workplace"

if your agenda is to rile everyone up with your bullshit, you're succeeding. if you want to learn more about singapore, then ask nicely and grow a thick skin.

If the commute to work, as described by the TS, is such a big issue for him it is not unfair at all to ask for a move. What else does he expect? A private helicopter free of charge?

And what's the point comparing with FT's???

FTs have no such problems. If they work in North, they move to North and just cycle or walk to work.

You should start calling out the real bullshit.

B Man

Alfrescian
Loyal
A little word of advice from an old man..

Face is not something u get buy buying and driving a car. Face is acquired from respect you get from people by how you act and how people perceive you.

Girls who stick to you because of the car are not really the girls you want to bring home at the end of the day. Girls and women are attracted to a man with real confidence not hollow confidence given by a car.

Just for you to think about :smile:

bryanlim1972

Alfrescian
Loyal
ok so assume he can't move coz he's got 3 other members in the household, and he has other financial constraints. what should he expect? besides snide comments like get a private helicopter?

FTs (not PRs) are typically thought to rent near their workplace. its the benefit of starting afresh when you take an overseas posting. if this is a misconception, feel free to convince everyone otherwise.

If the commute to work, as described by the TS, is such a big issue for him it is not unfair at all to ask for a move. What else does he expect? A private helicopter free of charge?

And what's the point comparing with FT's???

You should start calling out the real bullshit.

peppertail

Alfrescian
Loyal
ok so assume he can't move coz he's got 3 other members in the household, and he has other financial constraints. what should he expect? besides snide comments like get a private helicopter?

FTs (not PRs) are typically thought to rent near their workplace. its the benefit of starting afresh when you take an overseas posting. if this is a misconception, feel free to convince everyone otherwise.

Everybody, even locals, can start afresh. I can start assuming things too but what's the point? If there's a will, there's a way! Sometimes you just have to pave the way yourself...

bryanlim1972

Alfrescian
Loyal
Everybody, even locals, can start afresh.

fundamentally i agree with you, but pragmatically speaking its a stretch. for those who can, they should start afresh. but for those who can't, we can't disregard them and ensconce ourselves in our little gated communities.

on one hand you have the national agenda of creating families, yet society is priced to favour singles over families.

lianbeng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The big question you will face is: can you survive getting around Singapore without a car.

And the simple answer is: yes, you can.

In all honesty, based on the prices for cars, it isn't even an option for many people. And budget-wise, you will never spend as much money on cab fares, trains and buses as you will in buying a car.

What about you?

lianbeng replies: take taxi go everywhere still much cheaper than COE for car right?:biggrin: i never learned driving before!