• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Can we trust the pharmaceutical industry?

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Worst still recently i realized cholesterol levels is not the problem it's the inflammatory cells thingy in you that is or will be the death of you not totally cholesterol problem ! Is it true ?

Inflammation in the arteries is what causes the plaque to build up on the walls. Cholesterol levels alone are not the issue without inflammation.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Inflammation in the arteries is what causes the plaque to build up on the walls. Cholesterol levels alone are not the issue without inflammation.
Not to mention certain statins work better than others. And the reduction in CVD risk does not correlate well with the drop in LDL but rather which statin was used.

Why?

Because statins are anti-inflamatory agents.

There was a NEJM study on effect of statins on CRP(measure of inflamation) and reduction of CVD rather than the LDL lowering properties.

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/nejmoa042378

Abstract​

BACKGROUND​

Statins lower the levels of low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol and C-reactive protein (CRP). Whether this latter property affects clinical outcomes is unknown.

METHODS​

We evaluated relationships between the LDL cholesterol and CRP levels achieved after treatment with 80 mg of atorvastatin or 40 mg of pravastatin per day and the risk of recurrent myocardial infarction or death from coronary causes among 3745 patients with acute coronary syndromes.

RESULTS​

Patients in whom statin therapy resulted in LDL cholesterol levels of less than 70 mg per deciliter (1.8 mmol per liter) had lower event rates than those with higher levels (2.7 vs. 4.0 events per 100 person-years, P=0.008). However, a virtually identical difference was observed between those who had CRP levels of less than 2 mg per liter after statin therapy and those who had higher levels (2.8 vs. 3.9 events per 100 person-years, P=0.006), an effect present at all levels of LDL cholesterol achieved. For patients with post-treatment LDL cholesterol levels of more than 70 mg per deciliter, the rates of recurrent events were 4.6 per 100 person-years among those with CRP levels of more than 2 mg per liter and 3.2 events per 100 person-years among those with CRP levels of less than 2 mg per liter; the respective rates among those with LDL cholesterol levels of less than 70 mg per deciliter were 3.1 and 2.4 events per 100 person-years (P<0.001). Although atorvastatin was more likely than pravastatin to result in low levels of LDL cholesterol and CRP, meeting these targets was more important in determining the outcomes than was the specific choice of therapy. Patients who had LDL cholesterol levels of less than 70 mg per deciliter and CRP levels of less than 1 mg per liter after statin therapy had the lowest rate of recurrent events (1.9 per 100 person-years).

CONCLUSIONS​

Patients who have low CRP levels after statin therapy have better clinical outcomes than those with higher CRP levels, regardless of the resultant level of LDL cholesterol. Strategies to lower cardiovascular risk with statins should include monitoring CRP as well as cholesterol.

nightsafari

Alfrescian
Loyal
Good that you confirm that high LD is no big deal.

I am currently on high BP med, which I intend to eventually wean off. Have done that before, just that since 2020 (because of covid) I have been drinking a lot of vodka and whiskey due to boredom (@nightsafari, you probably know that!:biggrin:), eating unhealthy and not exercising enough. Fucked myself up.:roflmao:
you're not the only one who screwed his health up because of WuFlu. I'm in the same boat as you fucking myself up...

Now I just need some inspiration from Lerine!! :inlove::inlove::inlove:

tobelightlight

Alfrescian
Loyal
1632206527876.png

tobelightlight

Alfrescian
Loyal
Worst still recently i realized cholesterol levels is not the problem it's the inflammatory cells thingy in you that is or will be the death of you not totally cholesterol problem ! Is it true ?
What i read is the cholesterol in your body will patch up the inflammatory part of your artery to protect it from bursting or tear. What causes this inflammation, is sugar. and i believe other toxins too like preservative , colourings in processed food and even bad cooking oil, i guess.

so the mainstream doctors' way of dealing with it is to lower the cholesterol, that is how much faith i have with mainstream doctors. plus statin is pretty harmful to the body, i read that it also reduces your brain cells, dunno how true is that.