• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Can an Opposition Alliance kick Lee Hsien Loong out of AMK GRC?

Char_Azn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Well it is all or nothing. Why have half-past-six MPs to represent us but wont open their mouth to speak up on issues that matter?

I rather a vocal one like Dr Chee or not al all! The present Opposition MPs have spoiled the good name of JBJ and opposition politics. LKY is very happy with such mediocrity perfomers in his parleement.

Elections are just nice words for popularity contest. The Singapore population in general is still very conservative. They do not like radicals like Chee. There are good reasons why SDP have seen shrinking % of votes since Chiam left and Chee took over. The majority of Singaporeans do not like his style.

On top of that you have to remember that the government controls the media. U do something stupid and they will be on it faster then U can say stupid

What Chiam and Low are smart. They know this which is why they only come out and talk then they are sure they are right and cannot be disputed. Which is also why you see everytime they talk in parliament(which isn't often) the reasons PAP comes up with to dispute them only seem to make themselves look stupid however every freaking time Chee gets in the news, he is the one that looks stupid.

Chiam and Low are good at playing the political game, Chee is not. There are good reasons why the former are elected while the latter is not. Politics and speaking out for the public isn't just about making a lot of noise. It's about being and staying in power to be able to make any real difference

FuckSamLeong

Alfrescian
Loyal
In yesteryear, Dr Chee allowed his emotions and personal grievances to get the better of him. I'm very sure he is a more serene as well as a shrewder man now.

radon39

Alfrescian
Loyal
In yesteryear, Dr Chee allowed his emotions and personal grievances to get the better of him. I'm very sure he is a more serene as well as a shrewder man now.

yah...now he will just murder...hahahahaha

sorry...but sometimes, i feel that CSJ is on the payroll of...to make them look good

Hawkeye1819

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Agree with your analysis.

I'm sure PM Lee could easily get over 70% in an SMC. Problem is with our GRC system that allows guys like him to soak up the less PAP-popular areas and deny the opposition a chance to fight on even terms.

Not really. Some precincts have as low as 20 plus...well high twenty.

What surprises me is that in Cheng San where WP garnered 45% back in 1997, the percentage of votes garnered in 2006 is only 35%. It is actually a regression of 10%. Of course, there are a lot of factors behind it, including JBJ, Tang Lian Hong and the PAP opponents are different as well, instead of Lee Yoke Suan, we have PM Lee...etc.

But it does provide an insight to the behavior of Swing Voters who are primarily P65 voters. If we analyze further, the PM does have his impact with his ward Teck Ghee giving only 28% or so to WP's team. i.e. PAP gets the highest in Teck Ghee. Although we tend to make fun of PM Lee on the internet and even PAP may feel awkward with a PM GRC getting slightly less than average instead of top of the rest, but the truth is, with the baggage of Cheng San, Yishun South etc added on to his GRC, he did reasonably well in swinging some of the votes from these precincts. i.e. as much as 10% from Cheng San.

When we analyze such results, we must be more objective to see the clearer picture. PM Lee is not as weak as we think.

Goh Meng Seng

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal
Well it is all or nothing. Why have half-past-six MPs to represent us but wont open their mouth to speak up on issues that matter?

I rather a vocal one like Dr Chee or not al all! The present Opposition MPs have spoiled the good name of JBJ and opposition politics. LKY is very happy with such mediocrity perfomers in his parleement.

There are some people still stuck in the mindset after the argument first came up 5 years ago. A check with the hansard or visits to the public gallery would not show enough difference between the number of issues raised by all the 7 opposition MPs. Note that this is different from raising the same issue more than once, repeating in the same session or including speeches that doesn't say anything.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I do hope so. I also feel that Ms Chee is a real candidate as she is more localised in her approach and a fighter. I hope this time, they give the the voters a chance rather than shoot themselves in the foot days before the elections.

Frankiestine

Alfrescian
Loyal
The opposition should concentrate their resources and manpower not on AMK cos Singapore very kiasi and kiasu, they are afraid of losing the dragon head. Instead they should gun for a Minister that will produce a non threatening outcome ie that useless Minister of Environment what his name. In that way at least with his losses they know that some one else can be easily nominated by little pinky to take over this position.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I suspect when a major opposition party takes on a high profile figure, it is probably to raise their profile from Cat 1 hurricane to Cat 5 hurricane. Their actual target is somewhere else. Its to show that they are confident to take on the OM. In the 2006, the team was tagged suicide squad, made of young people who had depth. I think it paid of well as it became a talking point. Mind you they sure grabbed significant % of votes. I am sure WP was not serious about grabbing AMK.

The opposition should concentrate their resources and manpower not on AMK cos Singapore very kiasi and kiasu, they are afraid of losing the dragon head. Instead they should gun for a Minister that will produce a non threatening outcome ie that useless Minister of Environment what his name. In that way at least with his losses they know that some one else can be easily nominated by little pinky to take over this position.

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
There are some people still stuck in the mindset after the argument first came up 5 years ago. A check with the hansard or visits to the public gallery would not show enough difference between the number of issues raised by all the 7 opposition MPs. Note that this is different from raising the same issue more than once, repeating in the same session or including speeches that doesn't say anything.

I believe if Chee and/or sister were elected into Parliament, they will definitely do a much better vocal job...The Chees are also better at arguments, cut and thrust, getting around procedurally. If they wld research their cases, and make sure they are grounded in solid proofs and facts and stats, I'm sure they will make a big impact. I mean, Chee took on the OM in court without a lawyer, and charged. As long as he secures his every step, he will be impressive. Of course, the PAP will be out to fix him through every statute in the book,from Privileges Select C'ttee to Contempt of Parliament. So he must not fall to their traps.

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal
I believe if Chee and/or sister were elected into Parliament, they will definitely do a much better vocal job...The Chees are also better at arguments, cut and thrust, getting around procedurally. If they wld research their cases, and make sure they are grounded in solid proofs and facts and stats, I'm sure they will make a big impact. I mean, Chee took on the OM in court without a lawyer, and charged. As long as he secures his every step, he will be impressive. Of course, the PAP will be out to fix him through every statute in the book,from Privileges Select C'ttee to Contempt of Parliament. So he must not fall to their traps.

The problem is that Parliament is where there are a lot of protocols, rules and time limits. Even the court is a bit better - you can ask all kinds of questions until the avenue is exhausted. In Parliament you either follow it and restrain yourself and find that the end product is typical of any opposition MP, or get evicted by the Adjutant every sitting. Either way, you won't get your point across and the picture of being constantly shelved out will merely enhance the "troublemaker" image.

The Chee's strength is not Parliament or it will not highlight their strengths. That is probably why they know and, to their own advantage, that they would prefer to keep out of it and use the courts instead.

You probably did not notice that the vocal opinion you have of them is due to them fighting the traps instead of avoiding them, so it can be quite a misnomer to say that they should not fall into PAP's traps.

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
The problem is that Parliament is where there are a lot of protocols, rules and time limits. Even the court is a bit better - you can ask all kinds of questions until the avenue is exhausted. In Parliament you either follow it and restrain yourself and find that the end product is typical of any opposition MP, or get evicted by the Adjutant every sitting. Either way, you won't get your point across and the picture of being constantly shelved out will merely enhance the "troublemaker" image.

The Chee's strength is not Parliament or it will not highlight their strengths. That is probably why they know and, to their own advantage, that they would prefer to keep out of it and use the courts instead.

You probably did not notice that the vocal opinion you have of them is due to them fighting the traps instead of avoiding them, so it can be quite a misnomer to say that they should not fall into PAP's traps.

You are assuming Chee cannot adapt himself ina Parl setting. He is not stupid. He tends to be reckless at the same time confrontational. That is a volatile mix. If he tempers his approach, with his intelligence and his craftiness, he will be better able to probe, to follow up incisively. To me Chiam tho a lawyer looked slow , and LTK has handicap in the language to parry and thrust fast enough. We need guys like Chee to needle, to heckle, to harangue, and to withstand abuse by the PAP attack dogs. I think he's mentally tough enough, after all the years of PAP persecution.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Actually the courts have more restraints and one cannot go on a fishing trip. In parliament, you actually can go on a "fishing trip" and you are also protected by parliamentary privileges. The trick is relevance and jumping on hot topics. Chiam did very well in his early years. JBJ surprisingly performed very badly. He appeared to be on the rally circuit and was never prepared for parliament question time. Sylvia and Steve Chia did well. Their biggest challenge is getting decent attention from the Toa Payoh Brothel.

[/QUOTE]

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
The Chees biggest challenge is not parliament nor the govt. Its getting past the voters. Martyrdom, hanging of drug traffickers, civil rights, just do not go well in a laissez faire enviornment. Affordable housing, CPF, jobs, citizenship rights, even cheaper cars are the issues. He must connect with the people.

His Political acumen also stinks to high heaven. Most Singaporeans know that foreigners cannot dabble in local politics ( the same the world over). Yet these chaps invited 2 US embassy staff to attend a private screening of a political film in a hotel. Obviously they were proxies for our local intelligence. The fact that the govt did not deport them or make noise is a clear indication. How silly can you get.

The OZ high commission staff did something similar to the Marxist Conspiracy chaps and only realised that later.

I believe if Chee and/or sister were elected into Parliament, they will definitely do a much better vocal job...s.

methink

Alfrescian
Loyal
The Chees biggest challenge is not parliament nor the govt. Its getting past the voters. Martyrdom, hanging of drug traffickers, civil rights, just do not go well in a laissez faire enviornment. Affordable housing, CPF, jobs, citizenship rights, even cheaper cars are the issues. He must connect with the people.

His Political acumen also stinks to high heaven. Most Singaporeans know that foreigners cannot dabble in local politics ( the same the world over). Yet these chaps invited 2 US embassy staff to attend a private screening of a political film in a hotel. Obviously they were proxies for our local intelligence. The fact that the govt did not deport them or make noise is a clear indication. How silly can you get.

The OZ high commission staff did something similar to the Marxist Conspiracy chaps and only realised that later.

Did you read the word carefully? It's a PRIVATE affair! So they can invite who ever they want!

Now how silly can you get?

FuckSamLeong

Alfrescian
Loyal

The "Hendrickson Doctrine" is still applicable in this day and age?:eek:

i_am_belle

Alfrescian
Loyal
Below is just my observation BTW

Where in the world did U managed to get that information from. As far as I know. virtually all the PRs from my office are either living in NE or in Woodlands. I'd expect more new citizen to be from those area.

On top of that FTs are more used to an environment with lots of opposition in parliament, I'd expect new citizens to be more open to the opposition here then locals. Those from 1 party dictator countries like China, Myanmar or Vietnam would probably not want to see 1 party holding onto power, those from countries like TW/HK/Western Nations would probably love to see more opposition in parliament. Its hard to see why they will be diehard to PAP. Probably the Malaysian would be since the political system here is very similar to theirs except that we have no pro-bumi policy

i see a lot of foreigners here in bukit batok & jurong area until i seow leow ... my frens almost all live in east, north, central ... most locals if given a choice (money not a concern) will choose to live in eastern/cental singapore ...

new citizens will likely vote for PAP out of gratitude the first few times ... maybe after a few rounds of GE then they will realise what PAP is really like, and then boldly vote opposition without hesitation ...

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
You missed the point completely and guess what, the operating word is indeed "private".

It was the talk of the the town, not the incident with plainclothes officer/ministry officials with Ms Chee and TiLik. The fact that 2 americans diplomats were attending a singapore political party's private session.

Though the episode chee/tilik vs civil servants was interesting courtesy of Uncle Yap's video, it was not lost on others where the real issue was.

You must not be aware of the Hendrickson affair or about how diplomats have to handle themselves.

Did you read the word carefully? It's a PRIVATE affair! So they can invite who ever they want!

Now how silly can you get?

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Good point. In fact Hendrickson affair was uncovered when one of the marxist conspiracy detainees spilled the beans and implicated Francis Seow.

In fact, it is practised worldwide and usually attracts deportation. Clearly they were proxies and got sanctioned by local boys. I was very disappointed with the Americans treating us Singaporeans like some ignoramus. They should not have done that knowing the opposition position.

After this incident, it also dawned on me that SDP does not have an intellectual base for support. I know that all the other parties have some intellectuals behind the scenes providing guidance. The chaps behind "marxists conspiracy", some of whom were well heeled providing intellectual input to the "hammer" and the party. There was alkso chap from Harvard and a string of lawyers.

A good example is Lock and WP. I am sure Lock would immediately smell a rat in regard to the americans. Its politicis 101.

The "Hendrickson Doctrine" is still applicable in this day and age?:eek:

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal
After this incident, it also dawned on me that SDP does not have an intellectual base for support.

This is not meant to be negative but I get the impression that SDP does have a 'intellectual base' but one that is not local. Opp political leaders in Myanmar use plenty of such support.

My impression comes from people around who are close but not members, who had written off quickly the option of not engaging foreigners. When they are so robust to defend the using of foreign support even when SDP themselves had not said it, it tells something.