• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Buddhism has a lifespan of 5000 years

Unrepented

Alfrescian
Loyal
Buddhism encourages awareness and one to be mindful of the "here and now", which is one of the principles. I do have doubts about reincarnation and stuff. But it is the basic principles I find appealing. Some Buddhist that I know, do not worry whether reincarnation exists or not, whats important is that they lived a meaningful and decent present life.

Buddhism is about seeking the truth? More like affirming the truth. Wishful thinking comes naturally to all religions. What empirical evidence is there to validate the existence of reincarnation? No evidence and yet Buddhists are shameless enough to claim they espouse only the truth. Classic example of the fallacy of circular reasoning: Buddhism is about seeking the truth. Buddhists believe in reincarnation. Therefore, reincarnation is true. :rolleyes:

hairylee

Alfrescian
Loyal
I believe Buddhism is about seeking the truth and enlightenment.
It took me a while to understand its meaning.
Those who believe in other aspect of Buddhism I believe are journeyman like I once was.

Last edited:

Unrepented

Alfrescian
Loyal
In this respect, I guess its up to individual interpretations, given the varied context. But what I gather from that story is the end product, which is harmony. In that, some part of every religion endeavours to teach people to lead decent and happy lives, and we can find similiarities in the various religions texts. Therefore, imo the learning point is not to fight or argue which religion is better.

If this is the case, then the Gospel of Matthew of Jesus teaching on the 'mount' and of Gospel of Luke Jesus teaching on the 'plain' were base on the Buddhist dharmapada scriptures.

Once a disciple asked a living Buddha, what will happen to his teachings and the religion if he were to pass away because they will be without a leader. The disciple was worried that the religion will die a natural death without a chrismatic leader.

The Buddha gave him such an answer;

Take a drop of water and throw it into the ocean
It becomes the ocean
As long as the ocean exists, the drop of water exists
Therefore, as long as you find any part of the teachings under any religious label
Regardless of the name of the religion
The teachings still exists and survives

Unrepented

Alfrescian
Loyal
Unless you have gained enlightenment, you are still very much a journeyman like everyone else, imo.

Those who believe in other aspect of Buddhism I believe are journeyman like I once was.

Last edited:

Hahahaman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Buddhism encourages awareness and one to be mindful of the "here and now", which is one of the principles. I do have doubts about reincarnation and stuff. But it is the basic principles I find appealing. Some Buddhist that I know, do not worry whether reincarnation exists or not, whats important is that they lived a meaningful and decent present life.

The mind is somehow like a computer, somehow you can be able to retrieve this info perhaps if you browse thru the "recycle bin". But how does one have access to the computer instead of the computer accessing us? :biggrin:

Maximilian Chua-Heng

Alfrescian
Loyal
Siao liao! Drifter & Co. have found this thread! :eek:

Let me say something if I may. I am speaking specifically about Buddhism.

I am too skeptical about the idea of reincarnation/rebirth. And I find the concept of karma grossly misunderstood by most. So I am not going into these two.

I am as pragmatic as I can be so I make use what Buddhism can best offer to me and they are the mindfulness practices and a couple of sutras which I find very relevant and practical.

If one reads the Heart Sutra in detail, one can almost find no loophole in the manner it explains how the mind works and how it should work. Of coz, It's up to the indv to accept what's prescribed. We always have a choice.

In sum, I am not really into the metaphysics of Buddhism but the psychological aspects of what Buddhism can offer are what I value most.

Cruxx

Alfrescian
Loyal

While atheists, Muslims, Christians seek falsehoods and ignorance, right? "Buddhism is about seeking the truth and enlightenment" is as vacuous and meaningless a statement as "PAP is best qualified to run Singapore" or "My son would never commit murder". :rolleyes:

hairylee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Unless you have gained enlightenment, you are still very much a journeyman like everyone else, imo.

I did not claim that I am enlightened. I am no longer a "journeyman" I mean I am not a blind novice like some of them here; challenging every aspect of peoples believes, faith and thinking.
After enlightenment it is Nirvana and that's when your journey ends, and I think out of Buddhism.
Discovery channel explained the the working of the Borobudur in Java. Seeking truth and enlightenment on every steps till one reach the summit and Nirvana.

hairylee

Alfrescian
Loyal
While atheists, Muslims, Christians seek falsehoods and ignorance, right? "Buddhism is about seeking the truth and enlightenment" is as vacuous and meaningless a statement as "PAP is best qualified to run Singapore" or "My son would never commit murder". :rolleyes:

Now do you know why my nick is Hairylee?

Unrepented

Alfrescian
Loyal
Honestly, I did not expect anybody to believe or bow down to the authority of Buddha. I am just sharing my understanding and for the sake of discussion. How many of us can claim complete understanding of any religion, not even scholars who specialize in a chosen religion for their studies. In this respect, it always amazes me that individuals of different religions and faith, as well as aethist, critising one another without a reasonable indepth understanding.

I also never claim I believe in reincarnation in my post subsequent to the quote.

On the word "blind"; there is truth in it. Take for example, try educating a teenager on certain issues. In the end, they have to do and go through the school of hard knocks to learn certain things in life.

On Islam, one of the small things that a senior muslim shared with me and I find quite good is; Charity in its simplest form, if one picks up a piece of litter from the ground, it is also considered charity. In this, what I gather is everyones responsibility in caring for the environment in which we live in, and for one another. It has its loving aspects.

Yeah. But you have no qualms offering a Buddhist parable and expect me to bow down to the authority of Buddha and just accept that reincarnation is true because Buddhism says so and that no objective explanation nor scientific proof is needed on your part because I'm "blind", unlike the bearers of truths that are Buddhists. No different from the idiots who claim that Islam is a religion of peace, I think. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Cruxx

Alfrescian
Loyal

I am too skeptical about the idea of reincarnation/rebirth. And I find the concept of karma grossly misunderstood by most. So I am not going into these two.

I am as pragmatic as I can be so I make use what Buddhism can best offer to me and they are the mindfulness practices and a couple of sutras which I find very relevant and practical.

If one reads the Heart Sutra in detail, one can almost find no loophole in the manner it explains how the mind works and how it should work. Of coz, It's up to the indv to accept what's prescribed. We always have a choice.

In sum, I am not really into the metaphysics of Buddhism but the psychological aspects of what Buddhism can offer are what I value most.

You wanna know about psychology, I suggest you study cognitive psychology. Even an idiot can say something profound and wise in one of his random ramblings. And only an idiot will latch on to every subsequent word of said idiot as words of wisdom. A lot of Sinkie sheep fall into this category. Science isn't perfect. Because it requires the interpretation of imperfect humans. But it's fundamental to our conception of truth. What is truth? That which could be proven. What could be proven? That which could be observed. Religious believers do not take too kindly to observation. It spoils their wishful, idealised picture of reality, of the future.

hairylee

Alfrescian
Loyal

Somehow or rather these bunch have the misconceptions that the ability to challenge everything is a sign of intelligence.
If a person wants to challenge something then he must be able to come out with proof to the contrary. I never like to challenge others because I am lazy or unable to come up with proofs.
Some people already got the karma they deserves without even realising it.

Unrepented

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro, no worries, I am not confrontational on this, nor do I purport that what I post is beyond challenge. It is for discussion and sharing.

And I get what you mean :smile:

Imo, certain things are symbolic like the every step in Borobudur. Take for example, some Buddhist dont eat beef. I always believed that it was symbolic to teach illiterate villages in ancient times, the need to show gratitude to those who helped them. In the case of the cow, who till the land for them and provided milk for the family, so dont kill the cow :p

For me, I eat beef too, but along as I know what is gratitude and practises it.:smile:

I did not claim that I am enlightened. I am no longer a "journeyman" I mean I am not a blind novice like some of them here; challenging every aspect of peoples believes, faith and thinking.
After enlightenment it is Nirvana and that's when your journey ends, and I think out of Buddhism.
Discovery channel explained the the working of the Borobudur in Java. Seeking truth and enlightenment on every steps till one reach the summit and Nirvana.

Last edited:

Cruxx

Alfrescian
Loyal
yah lor......................just like all those countless people that recalled their prior lives..................all liars lor...........

Or the countless cult members who sacrificed their lives for their gods. I mean, they willingly gave up their lives. Surely there must be convincing proof of the existence of their gods for them to make such great sacrifices? But they all believed in different gods. So which one is real? Or perhaps a person's conviction, no matter how strong, isn't proof of the existence of god? :rolleyes:

Cruxx

Alfrescian
Loyal
Somehow or rather these bunch have the misconceptions that the ability to challenge everything is a sign of intelligence.
If a person wants to challenge something then he must be able to come out with proof to the contrary. I never like to challenge others because I am lazy or unable to come up with proofs.
Some people already got the karma they deserves without even realising it.

Nvm objective proof of karma. Harry Lee is still alive and kicking. As is his good friend, Kim Jong Il.

Maximilian Chua-Heng

Alfrescian
Loyal
You are right. Through repeated observations, then one can find proof.

That's what mindfulness is all about. You observe the mind repeatedly to see how your mind truly works.

We all have a choice like I've said. To each his own.

You wanna know about psychology, I suggest you study cognitive psychology. Even an idiot can say something profound and wise in one of his random ramblings. And only an idiot will latch on to every subsequent word of said idiot as words of wisdom. A lot of Sinkie sheep fall into this category. Science isn't perfect. Because it requires the interpretation of imperfect humans. But it's fundamental to our conception of truth. What is truth? That which could be proven. What could be proven? That which could be observed. Religious believers do not take too kindly to observation. It spoils their wishful, idealised picture of reality, of the future.

Last edited:

hairylee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Buddhism is about seeking the truth and then enlightenment.
Pure Buddhist still believes in reincarnation because they have not found the truth about reincarnation yet - this is called seeking the truth.
Maybe the day they got the truth about reincarnation is the day Buddhism comes to an end - Enlightenment and Nirvana.
A journey that took 5000 years.

Any Buddhist Scholar here?

Cruxx

Alfrescian
Loyal
On Islam, one of the small things that a senior muslim shared with me and I find quite good is; Charity in its simplest form, if one picks up a piece of litter from the ground, it is also considered charity. In this, what I gather is everyones responsibility in caring for the environment in which we live in, and for one another. It has its loving aspects.

Is his love of the environment contingent on Islam? Do you need to be a muslim to love the environment? Religious charlatans like to pick and choose from the religious tenets that appeal to secular morality and claim the moral high ground. They perpetuate this implicit assumption that religion = morality. As in: "Oh, he would never hurt anyone. He's a Christian, you see." :rolleyes: