• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Buddhism has a lifespan of 5000 years

drifter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
it's the cause and effect.................like gravity, it simply works...............

or like when you plant an apple seed.................you won't get an orange tree.............

### simply believing in God or whoever will allow you to escape from cause and effect and go heaven is simply WISHFUL THINKING...............

cause and effect theory do not work on everything ...best example is karma ...

drifter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
It's the weakling's philosophy. Buddhists are terrified of pain and suffering. True, all desires will incur pain and suffering of varying degrees. But while the buddhist suppresses his desires, secular individuals like me prefer living in the real world of compromise and trade-offs. I think if Buddhists were consistent, they would have committed suicide en masse. Why torture themselves with the desire of breathing? :rolleyes:

if they really conduct mass suicide ..they will be put on the cult list ..i dont think that religion is so stupid to fold up their business ..:wink:

GOD IS MY DOG

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
yah yah.................go on denying the countless number of people remembering their past lives............

there was a boy in the news last year i think................he recalled he was a pilot that was shot down in world war 2 in Philippines.............

he met some surviving world war 2 pilots from the airbase in Philippines and he was able to call them by their nicknames and remember what they did at the airbase............

he then met the sister (of the dead pilot) and was able to know her nickname and also about a painting painted by the woman's mother that only the painter, her son and daughter know about..............

Unrepented

Alfrescian
Loyal
I dont believe the Dalia Lama is authoritative to make such a claim that it will last another 5000 years.

Here is why, I think not:

Once a disciple asked a living Buddha, what will happen to his teachings and the religion if he were to pass away because they will be without a leader. The disciple was worried that the religion will die a natural death without a chrismatic leader.

The Buddha gave him such an answer;

Take a drop of water and throw it into the ocean
It becomes the ocean
As long as the ocean exists, the drop of water exists
Therefore, as long as you find any part of the teachings under any religious label
Regardless of the name of the religion
The teachings still exists and survives

Then the disciple asked Buddha another question;

After you pass away, how will generations remember you? Should we make an idol of you? What material should we use? Should we use gold, silver or bronze?

To this the Buddha answered;

There is no need for an idol to be made
If you wish to, it can also be made of m&d even
As long as my teachings are practised with heart
Then the Buddha exists in everyone and everywhere

Therefore, transcends religion. In this, the message is; dont have to be particular about the name of the religion or which is more superior, avoid vanity.

I believe Tibetan Buddhism is the purest form of Buddhism.

Last edited:

Unrepented

Alfrescian
Loyal
Really? There's scientific proof of reincarnation?

The story goes;

Once Buddha and his group of disciples stopped by a village and preached. Having gain a following and known as the enlightened one, many scholars wanted to challenge Buddha and test his knowledge.

So while the Buddha was preaching to the villagers, a scholar went up to Buddha, and interrupted him. The scholar said: "You are called the enlightened one, all knowing, all see. Now let me ask you this; How large is the universe? Is the universe finite or infinite? Is it round? Is it square? What shape is it?"

The Buddha kept quite.

The scholar waited and waited, then became impatient, and accused the Buddha of being a charlatan because he could not provide an answer and left.

The Buddha's disciples became anxious and they urged Buddha to give an answer, otherwise the villagers and others will no longer believe him.

To this the Buddha asked: "How do you explain the color of blue to a blind man? When oneself gains enlightenment, one will find the answers."

Cruxx

Alfrescian
Loyal
yah yah.................go on denying the countless number of people remembering their past lives............

there was a boy in the news last year i think................he recalled he was a pilot that was shot down in world war 2 in Philippines.............

he met some surviving world war 2 pilots from the airbase in Philippines and he was able to call them by their nicknames and remember what they did at the airbase............

he then met the sister (of the dead pilot) and was able to know her nickname and also about a painting painted by the woman's mother that only the painter, her son and daughter know about..............

You mean this nonsense?

Cruxx

Alfrescian
Loyal
The story goes;

Once Buddha and his group of disciples stopped by a village and preached. Having gain a following and known as the enlightened one, many scholars wanted to challenge Buddha and test his knowledge.

So while the Buddha was preaching to the villagers, a scholar went up to Buddha, and interrupted him. The scholar said: "You are called the enlightened one, all knowing, all see. Now let me ask you this; How large is the universe? Is the universe finite or infinite? Is it round? Is it square? What shape is it?"

The Buddha kept quite.

The scholar waited and waited, then became impatient, and accused the Buddha of being a charlatan because he could not provide an answer and left.

The Buddha's disciples became anxious and they urged Buddha to give an answer, otherwise the villagers and others will no longer believe him.

To this the Buddha asked: "How do you explain the color of blue to a blind man? When oneself gains enlightenment, one will find the answers."

Indeed. How do you explain science to the religious?

tanwahtiu

Alfrescian
Loyal
If this is the case, then the Gospel of Matthew of Jesus teaching on the 'mount' and of Gospel of Luke Jesus teaching on the 'plain' were base on the Buddhist dharmapada scriptures.

Once a disciple asked a living Buddha, what will happen to his teachings and the religion if he were to pass away because they will be without a leader. The disciple was worried that the religion will die a natural death without a chrismatic leader.

It becomes the ocean
Therefore, as long as you find any part of the teachings under any religious label

Last edited:

hairylee

Alfrescian
Loyal
I dont believe the Dalia Lama is authoritative to make such a claim that it will last another 5000 years.

Here is why, I think not:

It becomes the ocean

Then the disciple asked Buddha another question;

After you pass away, how will generations remember you? Should we make an idol of you? What material should we use? Should we use gold, silver or bronze?

There is no need for an idol to be made
If you wish to, it can also be made of m&d even
As long as my teachings are practised with heart
Then the Buddha exists in everyone and everywhere

Therefore, transcends religion. In this, the message is; dont have to be particular about the name of the religion or which is more superior, avoid vanity.

You did not watch the video. The Dalai Lama did not make the claim that Buddhism last another 5000 years.
What he stated was that the lifespan of Buddhism is 5000 years as written in Buddhist text and 3000 years could have passed since Buddha.

drifter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Dalia Lama is a politician hidden under the robe of a monk ..thats pure evil .

Cruxx

Alfrescian
Loyal
Like I said Buddhism is about seeking the truth not blind faith. Watch this video.
Scroll to 5:24

Buddhism is about seeking the truth? More like affirming the truth. Wishful thinking comes naturally to all religions. What empirical evidence is there to validate the existence of reincarnation? No evidence and yet Buddhists are shameless enough to claim they espouse only the truth. Classic example of the fallacy of circular reasoning: Buddhism is about seeking the truth. Buddhists believe in reincarnation. Therefore, reincarnation is true. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Unrepented

Alfrescian
Loyal
It's the weakling's philosophy. Buddhists are terrified of pain and suffering. True, all desires will incur pain and suffering of varying degrees. But while the buddhist suppresses his desires, secular individuals like me prefer living in the real world of compromise and trade-offs. I think if Buddhists were consistent, they would have committed suicide en masse. Why torture themselves with the desire of breathing? :rolleyes:

You are not the first to make such a claim nor will be the last.

In history, some claimed Buddhism is a form of avoidance, appealing to weaklings, and preaches pessimism.

1. How is it that we preach avoidance, when the teachings encourage one to be aware of one own weaknesses and confront such weakness?

2. How is it that the teachings are pessimistic, when the teachings offer a way out of the sufferings?

On the issue to end one life prematurely inorder to free oneself from the torture of breathing: If I remember correctly; It will not help in ending suffering as one will be reborn in another plane or form. And one should appreciate ones physical shell, existence, and the opportunity to gain enlightenment, so as to be free from the cycle of rebirth. That one will be fortunate to be reborn in the human form so as to be given the opportunity to further ones jounery towards enlightenment.

Therefore, suicide is not the solution to ending suffering.

Lastly, Buddhism do not suppress desires, it is a suffering to suppress desires. Rather, it encourages awareness and one to gain an understanding of ones desires and the effects of such desires. So that upon realisation, or in the journey of enlightenment, one can let go of such desires.

Just my 2c.

Cruxx

Alfrescian
Loyal
PAP seeks only the most capable people to lead the country. Tin Peiling is a PAP MP. Therefore, Tin Peiling is the most capable person to lead the country.

Unrepented

Alfrescian
Loyal
You did not watch the video. The Dalai Lama did not make the claim that Buddhism last another 5000 years.
What he stated was that the lifespan of Buddhism is 5000 years as written in Buddhist text and 3000 years could have passed since Buddha.

Then imo, I still disagree with the one who wrote it or made such a claim.

"It was written that Buddhism will last for 5000 years.
This is confirmed by the Dalai Lama.
Scroll to 1:16"

In the timeline, there were many Buddhas. Actually, who was the first Buddha? Do we know? I am not a scholar on Buddhist studies and am interested to know too, if there is such a record or claim.

Conqueror

Alfrescian
Loyal
Totally Agree !

italy_1796.png

Dalia Lama is a politician hidden under the robe of a monk ..thats pure evil .

He wanna be the emperor of Tibet lah. Now, we know of his evil plan ... in fact, the people living under such regime before the commies arrival were suffering and often abused by their elites. He just wanna create his own Papal States of the East once again lah. Damn elites !

[video=youtube;5KzmMY7-GXE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KzmMY7-GXE&feature=related[/video]

[video=youtube;Oq7YRg55h8A]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oq7YRg55h8A&NR=1[/video]

hairylee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Then imo, I still disagree with the one who wrote it or made such a claim.

"It was written that Buddhism will last for 5000 years.
This is confirmed by the Dalai Lama.
Scroll to 1:16"

In the timeline, there were many Buddhas. Actually, who was the first Buddha? Do we know? I am not a scholar on Buddhist studies and am interested to know too, if there is such a record or claim.

Sorry, I only took real interest only recently. Buddhist scholar can tell you that. I am also on a journey on this one.
From what I gather from youtube subsequent Buddhas are those who attained enlightment and they help spread the region. One of them make his way to Tibet or a Tibetan made his way to India to attain enlightenment.
Chinese, Korean and Japanese are only recently trying to translate the actual text.
Please don't quote me on this.
Reading some of the replies here I do not even bother to reply. They are simply confused with superstitions, enlightenment and faiths.

Last edited:

Cruxx

Alfrescian
Loyal
Buddhism do not preach nor supports blind faith.

Yeah. But you have no qualms offering a Buddhist parable and expect me to bow down to the authority of Buddha and just accept that reincarnation is true because Buddhism says so and that no objective explanation nor scientific proof is needed on your part because I'm "blind", unlike the bearers of truths that are Buddhists. No different from the idiots who claim that Islam is a religion of peace, I think. :rolleyes: