• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Buddhism has a lifespan of 5000 years

drifter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
like it how the tibetian buddhist leaders get these massive gold temples and wear expensive silk clothes while their people suffer.i recall the Dalai Lama had absolute control over his people, and ate fine foods, while the common tibetians starved.

If you stop wanting things, then you'll no longer suffer?

thats is the most retarded thing i have ever heard in my life.

my legs are always itchy. What should i do about them?

"Cut them off, youll never experience the pain of the itch anymore." :wink:

buddhism is an insufficent model of government, and comparing it to Communism is rather ironic when we consider our southeast Asian history. remember that when Buddhism was made the national religion in Cambodia, much of the nation fell into poverty because it nourished a culture where people cared less for wealth or power. :wink:

Last edited:

drifter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
buddhisum is a negative religion ...birth is painful, sickness is painful, aging is painful, death is painful. it is painful to experience unhappiness and displeasure, it is painful to want something and not be able to have it , it is painful to have something and lose it; it is painful when a pleasurable experience ends ...life is full of suffering in buddhisum ... buddha refused to answer questions about the self, and that to deny the existence of the self is just as much of an obstacle as is the self. period :wink:

Maximilian Chua-Heng

Alfrescian
Loyal
buddhisum is a negative religion ...birth is painful, sickness is painful, aging is painful, death is painful. it is painful to experience unhappiness and displeasure, it is painful to want something and not be able to have it , it is painful to have something and lose it; it is painful when a pleasurable experience ends ...life is full of suffering in buddhisum ... buddha refused to answer questions about the self, and that to deny the existence of the self is just as much of an obstacle as is the self. period :wink:

Bro, all that you listed are not painful. Attachment to them is.

I've seen rich people not attached to their wealth doing good, and I have seen poor people attached to their poverty like it's their destiny to be poor.

You go figure.

Unrepented

Alfrescian
Loyal
... buddha refused to answer questions about the self, and that to deny the existence of the self is just as much of an obstacle as is the self. period :wink:

Bro drifter, not persuading you to subscribe to the idea, but just know that the subject of self is addressed, contrary to your belief that it was avoided, or that the approach is one of avoidance. Approach it with intellectual curoisity.

http://buddhism.about.com/od/whatistheself/a/skandhasnoself.htm

What Is the Self?

The Buddhist Teachings of Self and No-Self

Among all the Buddha's teachings, those on the nature of the self are the hardest to understand, yet they are central to the religion. In fact, "fully perceiving the nature of the self" is one way to define enlightenment.

The Five Skandhas

The Buddha taught that an individual is a combination of five aggregates of existence, also called the Five Skandhas or the five heaps.

These are:

1.Form
2.Sensation
3.Perception
4.Mental formations
5.Consciousness

Various schools of Buddhism interpret the skandhas in somewhat different ways.

Generally, the first skandha is our physical form.

The second is made up of our feelings, emotional and physical, and our senses -- seeing, hearing, tasting, touching, smelling.

The third skandha, perception, takes in most of what we call thinking -- conceptualization, cognition, reasoning. This also includes the recognition that occurs when an organ comes into contact with an object. Perception can be thought of as "that which identifies." The object perceived may be a physical object or a mental one, such as an idea.

The fourth skandha, mental formations, includes habits, prejudices and predispositions. Our volition, or willfulness, also is part of the fourth skandha, as are attention, faith, conscientiousness, pride, desire, vindictiveness, and many other mental states both virtuous and not virtuous. The causes and effects of karma are especially important to the fourth skandha.

The fifth skandha, consciousness, is awareness of or sensitivity to an object, but without conceptualization. Once there is awareness, the third skandha might recognize the object and assign a concept-value to it, and the fourth skandha might react with desire or revulsion or some other mental formation. The fifth skandha is explained in some schools as base that ties the experience of life together.

The Self Is No-Self

What's most important to understand about the skandhas is that they are empty. They are not qualities that an individual possesses, because there is no-self possessing them. This doctrine of no-self is called anatman or anatta.

Very basically, the Buddha taught that "you" are not an integral, autonomous entity. The individual self, or what we might call the ego, is more correctly thought of as a by-product of the skandhas.
On the surface, this appears to be a nihilistic teaching. But the Buddha taught that if we can see through the delusion of the small, individual self, we experience that which is not subject to birth and death.

Last edited:

drifter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Bro, all that you listed are not painful. Attachment to them is.

I've seen rich people not attached to their wealth doing good, and I have seen poor people attached to their poverty like it's their destiny to be poor.

You go figure.

Bro ...what about a married man attached to his family ? Is it painful ? What about a buddist attached to his belief ? Is it painful ?

HedgeTrader

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro ...what about a married man attached to his family ? Is it painful ? What about a buddist attached to his belief ? Is it painful ?

I thot you go cheong dead drunk and stoned fucked with Ram, now suddenly come in talk Buddha?

Or ni toh hoot, zia chai pai poot LOL

drifter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I thot you go cheong dead drunk and stoned fucked with Ram, now suddenly come in talk Buddha?

Or ni toh hoot, zia chai pai poot LOL

bro ...today no cheong ..just finish my supper with my friends ...or ni toh fuck ...:smile:

drifter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Bro drifter, not persuading you to subscribe to the idea, but just know that the subject of self is addressed, contrary to your belief that it was avoided, or that the approach is one of avoidance. Approach it with intellectual curoisity.

http://buddhism.about.com/od/whatistheself/a/skandhasnoself.htm

What Is the Self?

The Buddhist Teachings of Self and No-Self

Among all the Buddha's teachings, those on the nature of the self are the hardest to understand, yet they are central to the religion. In fact, "fully perceiving the nature of the self" is one way to define enlightenment.

The Five Skandhas

The Buddha taught that an individual is a combination of five aggregates of existence, also called the Five Skandhas or the five heaps.

These are:

1.Form
2.Sensation
3.Perception
4.Mental formations
5.Consciousness

Various schools of Buddhism interpret the skandhas in somewhat different ways.

Generally, the first skandha is our physical form.

The second is made up of our feelings, emotional and physical, and our senses -- seeing, hearing, tasting, touching, smelling.

The third skandha, perception, takes in most of what we call thinking -- conceptualization, cognition, reasoning. This also includes the recognition that occurs when an organ comes into contact with an object. Perception can be thought of as "that which identifies." The object perceived may be a physical object or a mental one, such as an idea.

The fourth skandha, mental formations, includes habits, prejudices and predispositions. Our volition, or willfulness, also is part of the fourth skandha, as are attention, faith, conscientiousness, pride, desire, vindictiveness, and many other mental states both virtuous and not virtuous. The causes and effects of karma are especially important to the fourth skandha.

The fifth skandha, consciousness, is awareness of or sensitivity to an object, but without conceptualization. Once there is awareness, the third skandha might recognize the object and assign a concept-value to it, and the fourth skandha might react with desire or revulsion or some other mental formation. The fifth skandha is explained in some schools as base that ties the experience of life together.

The Self Is No-Self

What's most important to understand about the skandhas is that they are empty. They are not qualities that an individual possesses, because there is no-self possessing them. This doctrine of no-self is called anatman or anatta.

Very basically, the Buddha taught that "you" are not an integral, autonomous entity. The individual self, or what we might call the ego, is more correctly thought of as a by-product of the skandhas.
On the surface, this appears to be a nihilistic teaching. But the Buddha taught that if we can see through the delusion of the small, individual self, we experience that which is not subject to birth and death.

bro...there no way ppl going to follow the teaching of buddha unless hes staying in the mountain by himself ...thats what buddha do ...he gave up his title as a prince ...

lets be realistic ...we are all after money , fame , comfort for our family and love ones ...ect .its impossible to give up everything ...just to follow its teaching .."if you stop wanting things, then you'll no longer suffer?"
the teachings of buddhism simply state the nothing last forever. when you get attached to something, and you lose it (or it dies ) you feel pain. Therefore to get rid of your attachement, is to get rid of your pain. would you gave up everything including your job , family , money ...ect ? to me thats crazy .

drifter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
religion definition: http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=religion

re·li·gion ( P ) Pronunciation Key (r-ljn)
n.

1. Belief in and reverence for a supernatural power or powers regarded as creator and governor of the universe.
2. A personal or institutionalized system grounded in such belief and worship.
The life or condition of a person in a religious order.
3. A SET OF BELIEFS , VALUES , AND PRACTICES BASED ON THE TEACHING OF A SPIRITUAL LEADER .
4. A cause, principle, or activity pursued with zeal or conscientious devotion.

buddhism is practicing the beliefs and values based around the teachings of the buddha. it is intirely a religion.. it just might not fit your own definition. :wink:

Last edited:

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i believe in all religion. there must be some belief or actual encounter that have been passed down for generations.
but i dun quite believe in reincarnation.

Unrepented

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro drifter,

1. Think of this...... what is reality? Logically, the "reality" that we are able to define are based on and limited by, our form, sensation, perception, mental formations and consiousness (not exhuastive). Therefore, "reality" defined by each individual and/or collective group is limited by the Five Skandhas, as classified in Buddhism for the "self".

For example; how many a time do people misjudged each other, or situations, until the truth was revealed? But the "reality" that we believed, lived-in, reacted to and allowed to influence our decision making, was as real and as good, while it lasted...... until more facts were discovered and lead us to think and concluded to the contrary of our initial judgment.

Also, things/entities that we cannot see, hear, feel, smell, sense, perceive, reason...... in reality may exists, but they pass under the radar because of the limitations of the "self".

Thats why, I always make it a point to give a spectrum of things the benefit of doubt, though I avoid getting overly obsessed with it.

2. I agree, thats why majority are just lay followers/men. But people some do make the extreme choice, I guess it's due to their personal experiences and events in their life, and decide to give the path a try.

bro...there no way ppl going to follow the teaching of buddha unless hes staying in the mountain by himself ...thats what buddha do ...he gave up his title as a prince ...

lets be realistic ...we are all after money , fame , comfort for our family and love ones ...ect .its impossible to give up everything ...just to follow its teaching .."if you stop wanting things, then you'll no longer suffer?"
the teachings of buddhism simply state the nothing last forever. when you get attached to something, and you lose it (or it dies ) you feel pain. Therefore to get rid of your attachement, is to get rid of your pain. would you gave up everything including your job , family , money ...ect ? to me thats crazy .

Last edited:

Hahahaman

Alfrescian
Loyal
What's your views?

No difference in our views.:smile:

"Everything exists': That is one extreme. 'Everything doesn't exist': That is a second extreme. Avoiding these two extremes, the Tathagata teaches the Dhamma via the middle:" SN 12.15 / SA 301.

hairylee

Alfrescian
Loyal
No difference in our views.:smile:

"Everything exists': That is one extreme. 'Everything doesn't exist': That is a second extreme. Avoiding these two extremes, the Tathagata teaches the Dhamma via the middle:" SN 12.15 / SA 301.

Yourself, bro Unrepented and bro max all study Buddhism?