• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Breaking: Iswaran appears at State Courts a week after CPIB completed probe. *Update: Iswaran resigns as PAP minister/MP and PAP member.

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
iswaran looks more hamsum...proves that 8.5K is sufficient to survive.
can hire A-class lawyer in Darwin sing means high confidence of getting aquittal or very low sentence...perhaps fine.
however political career gone.

oliverlee

Alfrescian
Loyal
iswaran looks more hamsum...proves that 8.5K is sufficient to survive.
can hire A-class lawyer in Darwin sing means high confidence of getting aquittal or very low sentence...perhaps fine.
however political career gone.
he learnt from the guy who only paid $100 for an open heart surgeon

Byebye Penis

Alfrescian
Loyal

CoffeeAhSoh

Alfrescian
Loyal
CPT Goh very sharp deh Woh...

Screenshot_2024-01-19-07-27-30-109_com.facebook.katana-edit.jpg

Loofydralb

Alfrescian
Loyal
If only Iswaran was smarter, by buying condo development from HPL at substantially reduced and discounted prices before it was released to the public, it would not count as corruption.

*wink wink*

He should learn from lky and ahloong

Hightech88

Alfrescian
Loyal
About those items obs paid for, iswaran can always say he paid him back by cash de woh.
That will be obstruction of justice. He is not supposed to receive any gifts above $50 anyways for public or civil servants.

The proper process for receiving gifts above $50 is to either reject or declare to his superior and the Gov and then if approved, pay the same amount to the Gov and not to OBS, LOL.

I remembered when I was a public servant many years back I was offered a gift by a vendor which I suspect worth several hundreds dollars. When I found out that I have to declare and the cumbersome process (you clink a link to a form and have to declare this and prove that etc.) to seek approval, I jitao sianz already and eventually have to reject the gift.

Of course there are creative work-arounds (which should not be discussed here :wink: ) as long as you don't get caught (SAF rule) but any deviation from this official process is considered corruption or under Section 165 offences can be accused of "accepting" or "obtaining" gratification or valuable items.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/sin...tion-bribes-public-servant-penal-code-4056821

Is there a difference between obtaining and accepting bribes?

According to the PCA and Penal Code, those charged with corruption or Section 165 offences can be accused of "accepting" or "obtaining" gratification or valuable items. All of Iswaran's charge sheets state that he obtained these.

Mr Wee said the implication of someone "obtaining" such things is that they asked for it, rather than being offered it.

But lawyers told CNA that from their own experience, there was no fundamental difference between obtaining and accepting bribes.

Mr Josephus Tan, director of Invictus Law Corporation, said it would not make much of a difference - in terms of the Section 165 charges - if Iswaran does go on trial. But it would matter for mitigation and sentencing if he ends up pleading guilty.

Can public servants receive gifts?

Under Singapore’s public service rules on gifts, civil servants cannot retain gifts worth more than S$50 unless they pay the market value of the gift to the government, and if it does not affect the integrity of the civil service.

Political office-holders adopt a “similar spirit and principles” in their official activities and there are specific rules spelt out in the Code of Conduct for Ministers, said Minister-in-charge of the Public Chan Chun Sing in parliament last year.

Mr Tan said a rule of thumb for all public servants is that they should not accept gifts in the form of cash, perishable goods or favours.

“We have heard real-life examples whereby they have to make formal declarations and go through an audit process - some of this can be very complicated,” he added.

Mr Chooi also pointed to Section 8 of the PCA, which imposes a presumption of corruption in certain cases. This means that Iswaran will have to prove that he received the gratification in a non-corrupt manner.

Mr Chooi said this presumption makes it “very treacherous” for public servants to receive gifts. “The only safe way to avoid liability is to either return them straight away or declare them,” he added.
-------------

Last edited:

sbfuncle

Alfrescian
Loyal
That will be obstruction of justice. He is not supposed to receive any gifts above $50 anyways for public or civil servants.

The proper process for receiving gifts above $50 is to either reject or declare to his superior and the Gov and then if approved, pay the same amount to the Gov and not to OBS, LOL.

I remembered when I was a public servant many years back I was offered a gift by a vendor which I suspect worth several hundreds dollars. When I found out that I have to declare and the cumbersome process to seek approval, I jitao reject the vendor already.

Any deviation from this process is considered corruption or under Section 165 offences can be accused of "accepting" or "obtaining" gratification or valuable items.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/sin...tion-bribes-public-servant-penal-code-4056821

Is there a difference between obtaining and accepting bribes?

According to the PCA and Penal Code, those charged with corruption or Section 165 offences can be accused of "accepting" or "obtaining" gratification or valuable items. All of Iswaran's charge sheets state that he obtained these.

Mr Wee said the implication of someone "obtaining" such things is that they asked for it, rather than being offered it.

But lawyers told CNA that from their own experience, there was no fundamental difference between obtaining and accepting bribes.

Mr Josephus Tan, director of Invictus Law Corporation, said it would not make much of a difference - in terms of the Section 165 charges - if Iswaran does go on trial. But it would matter for mitigation and sentencing if he ends up pleading guilty.

Can public servants receive gifts?

Under Singapore’s public service rules on gifts, civil servants cannot retain gifts worth more than S$50 unless they pay the market value of the gift to the government, and if it does not affect the integrity of the civil service.

Political office-holders adopt a “similar spirit and principles” in their official activities and there are specific rules spelt out in the Code of Conduct for Ministers, said Minister-in-charge of the Public Chan Chun Sing in parliament last year.

Mr Tan said a rule of thumb for all public servants is that they should not accept gifts in the form of cash, perishable goods or favours.

“We have heard real-life examples whereby they have to make formal declarations and go through an audit process - some of this can be very complicated,” he added.

Mr Chooi also pointed to Section 8 of the PCA, which imposes a presumption of corruption in certain cases. This means that Iswaran will have to prove that he received the gratification in a non-corrupt manner.

Mr Chooi said this presumption makes it “very treacherous” for public servants to receive gifts. “The only safe way to avoid liability is to either return them straight away or declare them,” he added.
-------------
The thing is usually even like friends or colleague we tend to buy air ticket, pay for something for them 1st then they pay us back lor.

Hightech88

Alfrescian
Loyal
The thing is usually even like friends or colleague we tend to buy air ticket, pay for something for them 1st then they pay us back lor.
Friends or colleagues favour is different as long as there is no conflict of interest in an official capacity, whether perceived or otherwise.

This case you are talking about a senior Gov servant receiving gifts directly from a vendor or special interests who is also bidding for Gov contracts directly under your influence and control some more, of course is not allowed.