• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Bea Johnson Chao Ang Mo Makes fun of Singlish

formerlyknownas_ew

Alfrescian
Loyal
You are not kidding are you? Britain is the most socially stratified society and the class system is obvious even today.

Notice the clothes and keeping up with Jonese etc. Half their comedies allude to class and barriers between them

Scroobal, this papsemarer is just clueless. He says he's been to Britian, but doesn't notice all this? He probably went on a package holiday. And besides, methinks that he is very uncomfortable with class/social background discussions.

I've always notice how some people (sinkees, and also Brits) seem to be uncomfortable with it, even though AT PRESENT, they don't seem to be in material want - they are either fairly well-off, or quite comfortably so. But everytime social background is mentioned they seem to get their knickers in a twist. You know why? Well, such people are reminded that while they may have all the material wealth right now (and its visible), their parents may be like peasants and ah bengs. And they're ashamed of this background. Notice how the Americans and Australians don't seem to care. Well, my point is that people like Bea the cunt-with-a-chip-on-her-shoulder displays that. Somehow her article seem to be very angry at something.

I'll hazard a guess at what it is - and it is also a thing that alot of ang mo expat (not all though) seem to harbour - those with chips on their shoulders. I think deep down they can't tahan seeing an ASIAN country prosper. ANY Asian country, need not be Sg. So they have to find faults with it, try to be sarcastic with it.

Unfortunately for Sg, we get it worse. Just do tell me why do you think more people come here (quite aside from Sg gahmen incentives) -- isn't it because we function more readily and much more so in the English language? Admit it, even those who keep saying the language is falling.... the marjority in this country actually speak enough English to be very well understood. Even the Sg/Malaysian accent is quite discernable, isn't it? Of course, if we go into our own lingo and put in too much Hokkien/Malay/singlish type words, then newcomers would find it difficult. But come on, how many times does that happen at the workplace.

You guys should realise that there are alot of jealous people around. And alot of sick people who cannot face THEIR OWN inadequacies, so must latch onto something else that comforts them. And for these angmos, it is denigrating the country they are in, and especially if they fear a rising Asia. What more apt a place is Sg to denigrate....

Don't let these people get away with it because, unlike Alan Shadrake who is trying to point out certain real things that's happening here, this Bea cunty Johnson has her own huge baggage and is trying to be funny. Don't let her get away with it, that's all I'm saying. SEE HER FOR WHAT SHE IS.

You people here should criticise Sg where we deserve it, but at the same time, DISCERN FOR YOURSELVES where the criticism is UNWARRANTED, and where it is deserved.

btw, I think my points about social background really does hurt some people, right? papsmearer? Don't know why you are so sensitive about social backgrounds when others in Sg are not - just look at the upgraders - strutting around like some tua ki, not realising they are being laughed at. Be like them, papsmearer. Don't fluster at people like me who point it out. Be brave. Own your own heritage. :smile:

championplug

Alfrescian
Loyal
I agree. Ability to dress correctly and speak in the correct accent gets you somewhere, even girls all the way to bed. Fortunately, I'm quite endowed with that proficiency and adaptibility. It's not a matter of colour or race.

Freud could use you as an excellent specimen since almost everything to you lead to sex (or lack of it).

championplug

Alfrescian
Loyal
As usual.. the good old paper and gunpowder retort. :rolleyes:

Yes the oldies but goodies.... the truth hurts doesn't it?

However, please tell me how China has contributed to the advancement of mankind (apart from exporting whores across all continents) since the middle ages.

From your head to your toe my ignoramus one. The things you wear - eg. silk, the beverage you drink- tea, philosophies eg Confucianism , Taoism, how you fight - Sun Tzu art of war, money that you use -paper currency was invented by chinese, deep drilling for gas technique developed in 100 BC still being used now by the Americans and much more. Of course not forgetting Chinese food.

formerlyknownas_ew

Alfrescian
Loyal
You are not kidding are you? Britain is the most socially stratified society and the class system is obvious even today.

Notice the clothes and keeping up with Jonese etc. Half their comedies allude to class and barriers between them

Scroobal, this papsemarer is just clueless. He says he's been to Britian, but doesn't notice all this? He probably went on a package holiday. And besides, methinks that he is very uncomfortable with class/social background discussions.

I've always notice how some people (sinkees, and also Brits) seem to be uncomfortable with it, even though AT PRESENT, they don't seem to be in material want - they are either fairly well-off, or quite comfortably so. But everytime social background is mentioned they seem to get their knickers in a twist. You know why? Well, such people are reminded that while they may have all the material wealth right now (and its visible), their parents may be like peasants and ah bengs. And they're ashamed of this background. Notice how the Americans and Australians don't seem to care. Well, my point is that people like Bea the cunt-with-a-chip-on-her-shoulder displays that. Somehow her article seem to be very angry at something.

I'll hazard a guess at what it is - and it is also a thing that alot of ang mo expat (not all though) seem to harbour - those with chips on their shoulders. I think deep down they can't tahan seeing an ASIAN country prosper. ANY Asian country, need not be Sg. So they have to find faults with it, try to be sarcastic with it.

Unfortunately for Sg, we get it worse. Just do tell me why do you think more people come here (quite aside from Sg gahmen incentives) -- isn't it because we function more readily and much more so in the English language? Admit it, even those who keep saying the language is falling.... the marjority in this country actually speak enough English to be very well understood. Even the Sg/Malaysian accent is quite discernable, isn't it? Of course, if we go into our own lingo and put in too much Hokkien/Malay/singlish type words, then newcomers would find it difficult. But come on, how many times does that happen at the workplace.

You guys should realise that there are alot of jealous people around. And alot of sick people who cannot face THEIR OWN inadequacies, so must latch onto something else that comforts them. And for these angmos, it is denigrating the country they are in, and especially if they fear a rising Asia. What more apt a place is Sg to denigrate....

Don't let these people get away with it because, unlike Alan Shadrake who is trying to point out certain real things that's happening here, this Bea cunty Johnson has her own huge baggage and is trying to be funny. Don't let her get away with it, that's all I'm saying. SEE HER FOR WHAT SHE IS.

You people here should criticise Sg where we deserve it, but at the same time, DISCERN FOR YOURSELVES where the criticism is UNWARRANTED, and where it is deserved.

btw, I think my points about social background really does hurt some people, right? papsmearer? Don't know why you are so sensitive about social backgrounds when others in Sg are not - just look at the upgraders - strutting around like some tua ki, not realising they are being laughed at. Be like them, papsmearer. Don't fluster at people like me who point it out. Be brave. Own your own heritage. :smile:

Royalblood

Alfrescian
Loyal
Even the Chinese themselves question the significance of the "Four Great Inventions":

http://news.163.com/06/1214/10/32A2PSPS00011243.html

And you should probably know that it was the westerners who came up with this "Four Great Inventions" list:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_Great_Inventions_of_Ancient_China#Origins

<i>The modern list of the Four Great Inventions originated in the 19th century with the missionary and Sinologist Joseph Edkins (1823–1905). Edkins, when comparing Japan with China, noted that scholars should bear in mind that the Japanese did not have inventions as significant as papermaking, printing, the compass and gunpowder. This list was later popularized and augmented by the noted British biochemist, historian, and Sinologist Joseph Needham, who devoted the later part of his life to studying the science and civilization of ancient China.</i>

It does not matter who compiled the list of the four great Chinese invention.
By thinking a little, it would have been clear to you that a lot of modern day conveniences and inventions are build on these 4 great inventions.

Since they provide the foundation to modern advances, should they not be considered great inventions....

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Excellent point. When it does come to all things important for these foreigners all things are in good English. From the the landing card, the rental agreement, the government departments and even they go to court for vandalism etc, it all in good proper English.

Just do tell me why do you think more people come here (quite aside from Sg gahmen incentives) -- isn't it because we function more readily and much more so in the English language? Admit it, even those who keep saying the language is falling.... the marjority in this country actually speak enough English to be very well understood. Even the Sg/Malaysian accent is quite discernable, isn't it? Of course, if we go into our own lingo and put in too much Hokkien/Malay/singlish type words, then newcomers would find it difficult. But come on, how many times does that happen at the workplace.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
You got to be new. Sam does this to everyone - yanking the proverbial chain that is.

Tomorrow there will be a topic about Indians, and he will start taking the mickey of the next lot of suckers.

Most will learn, but some still can't get it even if it bit them on the arse.

Yes the oldies but goodies.... the truth hurts doesn't it?

From your head to your toe my ignoramus one. The things you wear - eg. silk, the beverage you drink- tea, philosophies eg Confucianism , Taoism, how you fight - Sun Tzu art of war, money that you use -paper currency was invented by chinese, deep drilling for gas technique developed in 100 BC still being used now by the Americans and much more. Of course not forgetting Chinese food.

Royalblood

Alfrescian
Loyal
As usual.. the good old paper and gunpowder retort. :rolleyes:

The Chinese used to be great inventors as were the Arabs, the Indians, the Mayans and the Neanderthals.

However, please tell me how China has contributed to the advancement of mankind (apart from exporting whores across all continents) since the middle ages.

There are now 1.3 billion Chinese on the face of this earth. They should be leading the world. Instead, all they do is cheat, lie and copy.

Oh look who's talking..... and as usual from you.... the good old nobel prize thingy :rolleyes:

Your comparison of the contribution of west and the far east is extremely flawed. By doing so, u r holding constant the instability factor that struck the far east ever since ur barbaric white trash ancestors decide to reverse their massive trade deficit with China by using weapons and violence. A more accurate analysis would require u to add in assumptions such as, would China be the superpower if it were left alone by the imperialist west, etc... Afterall a stable environment is one of the pre-requisites for innovation.

So, most of the advance economies are in the west. These chao angmos should be leading the world today. Instead, all they do is go around cheating the world by selling inferior financial products, spending beyond their means and bankrupting the entire nation, and invading other countries but only to get their asses kicked by some half-fuck standard militias armed with home made weapons, etc.... :oIo:

championplug

Alfrescian
Loyal
You got to be new. Sam does this to everyone - yanking the proverbial chain that is.

Tomorrow there will be a topic about Indians, and he will start taking the mickey of the next lot of suckers.

Please get off your high horse. I know what he is doing for crying out loud! Once a while you gotta throw some scraps for the wild dogs.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

yeah just like i took the mickey out of you when i was writing about the malays. Oh look at how emotional you were. :biggrin:

Z

Zombie

Singlish is hardly a cultural icon. It's nothing more than fucked up English.

english is like micro$oft... many people use it and many people fuck it..

you find singlish, but where is singdian, singinese, singalay in singapore?? :biggrin:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Your chain is still being pulled. Most people can see it. My sense is that you "feeding the wild dogs thingy" is your crutch until you find a way to extricate yourself without looking silly having stepped on the poo.

We are all watching - here is a tip - look for a smooth, suave one liner that might be half classy but at least it prevents a crash landing. Limping away is not as bad as being burnt beyond recognition.

Good luck.
Please get off your high horse. I know what he is doing for crying out loud! Once a while you gotta throw some scraps for the wild dogs.

Last edited:

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Scroobal, this papsemarer is just clueless. ...........

So what social class does david beckham belong to?

Then again nowadays the UK has so many foreigners in it. How are they judged?

I have not been watching any UK comidies of late and the only one i can recall is mr bean.

Perhaps you could give a few examples of social class of some prominent brit ppl.

Like the queen and king and the royal family should be at the top. What about david beckham and his wife?

What about mel gibson i heard he was born in england?

championplug

Alfrescian
Loyal

Your chain is still being pulled. Most people can see it. My sense is that you "feeding the wild dogs thingy" is your crutch until you find a way to extricate yourself without looking silly having stepped on the poo.

We are all watching - here is a tip - look for a smooth, suave one liner that might be half classy but at least it prevents a crash landing. Limping away is not as bad as being burnt beyond recognition.

Good luck.

One liner? Is there something wrong with your eyes or your counting? Maybe you are much thicker than I thought. You can't tell a one liner to save your life.

And what's all this 'most people here' and 'we'? Are you now representing the entire forum when you speak? Like I said get off your high horse Pleeeaase!

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset

I'm a lot more grateful to the Mesopotamian who invented the wheel. I use plenty of those round things. :p

Never worn silk in my life, prefer coffee to tea and think Solomon had a better brain than those Chinese philosophers who only said things to please their emperors. [another unsavory Chinese trait] :rolleyes: