• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Aussie cities becoming world's priciest

Don Muthuswamy

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://au.finance.yahoo.com/news/Aussie-cities-becoming-world-yahoo7finance-421644262.html?x=0

On Thursday 7 July 2011, 15:20 EST
By AAP

The strong Aussie dollar is giving Sydney, Melbourne, Perth and Brisbane the unenviable reputation of being among the world's most expensive cities, a global survey shows.

It's now cheaper to live in London, Vienna, Rome, Berlin, Hong Kong and Beijing than most Australian capitals, the Economist Intelligence Unit's Worldwide Cost of Living survey found.

Sydney is now the sixth priciest city in the world, up from 32nd place two years ago, while Melbourne has jumped from 38th to seventh.

Perth and Brisbane, meanwhile, are ranked 13th and 14th - almost 25 per cent dearer than New York City.

Survey author Jon Copestake said the strength of Australia's dollar was partly to blame for skyrocketing living costs Down Under.

The local currency reached parity with the US dollar in November 2010 and hit a peak of 110.11 US cents on May 3, its highest since being floated on the foreign exchange market in 1983. It is currently trading around 107 US cents.

"Rising domestic prices, partly due to rising oil and commodity prices, have been compounded by the strength of the Australian dollar, which achieved parity with the US dollar earlier this year, compared to being worth around half that much 10 years ago," Mr Copestake said in a statement on Thursday.

The survey also found Australian cities were among the most expensive for business trips.

In Melbourne, accommodation, meals, taxis, drinks and a newspaper now cost the average business traveller $US760 ($A712.75) a day, with Sydney close behind at $US627 ($A588).

Mr Copestake warned visitor numbers could be hit if Australia's cost of living continued to escalate.

"Australia has long been an attractive destination, with Melbourne and Sydney becoming international cities in their own right," he said.

"Whether the spiralling relative cost of living will dampen this appeal remains to be seen."

The survey ranked Tokyo, Osaka, and Oslo as the three most expensive cities in the world.

Mumbai, Tunis and Karachi were the cheapest among the 140 cities used in the survey.

The UK-based Economist Intelligence Unit provides economic and business research, forecasting and analysis.

Its bi-annual Worldwide Cost of Living survey uses more than 400 individual prices to compare cost of living expenses.
:*::*::*::*::*::*:

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
Indeed, things are so expensive here that I have to drive a mini cooper S to work and fill up my tank at $1.40 of V-power.

redbull313

Alfrescian
Loyal
And that is why I am soooooooooo glad I left. Australia can never ever give me what I have here, with 2 homes, a boat, and now my 5th car - a Ford F150 4x4 I bought just to go to the home depot for. Why not? it only costs me $150 a year to insure it and gas is of course 3.5 a gallon here - about 90 cents a litre for the poor suckers in Singapore or Australia to cry about.

I can never ever have this incredible life in Singapore or Australia, so you people can keep your expensive food, houses, etc.

I'll keep enjoying life in paradise, and coming here to remember how bad it is over there.

Hee Hee

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
an never ever have this incredible life in Singapore or Australia, so you people can keep your expensive food, houses, etc.

I'll keep enjoying life in paradise, and coming here to remember how bad it is over there.

Hee Hee

tick tick tick :biggrin:

wrcboi

Alfrescian
Loyal
yeah indeed....i m planning to sleep in da streets soon...cant afford da rising rent....no joke

but compare to sg its still much affordable in certain ways

Last edited:

Satan

Alfrescian
Loyal

Hee Hee

Oh hello $9 sandwich loser. Long time no see. Of course lah. People who cant even afford $9 sandwiches are duds who cant fit into Oz. Still sitting in your 3 room flat and masterbating over a US visa? Too baaaaad for you. US unemployment now is 9%. You are fucked. Stay on in Singapore and continue working for your PAP masters ok? :biggrin:

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I can never ever have this incredible life in Singapore or Australia, so you people can keep your expensive food, houses, etc.

Hee Hee

tick tick tick.

Obama's weekly address: Tax the rich as part of debt relief.
http://content.usatoday.com/communi...ddress-tax-the-rich-as-part-of-debt-relief-/1

Better get rid of Obama quick! Or the bureaucrats will take over the running of your houses, boat and 5 cars.

WTF is he talking ...
For a decade, America has been spending more money than we've taken in. For several decades, our debt has been rising. And let's be honest -- neither party in this town is blameless. Both have talked this problem to death without doing enough about it. That's what drives people nuts about Washington. Too often, it's a place more concerned with playing politics and serving special interests than resolving real problems or focusing on what you're facing in your own lives.

tick tick tick

Aussie Prick

Alfrescian
Loyal
tick tick tick.

Obama's weekly address: Tax the rich as part of debt relief.
http://content.usatoday.com/communi...ddress-tax-the-rich-as-part-of-debt-relief-/1

Better get rid of Obama quick! Or the bureaucrats will take over the running of your houses, boat and 5 cars.

WTF is he talking ...
For a decade, America has been spending more money than we've taken in. For several decades, our debt has been rising. And let's be honest -- neither party in this town is blameless. Both have talked this problem to death without doing enough about it. That's what drives people nuts about Washington. Too often, it's a place more concerned with playing politics and serving special interests than resolving real problems or focusing on what you're facing in your own lives.

tick tick tick

Tax the rich? - isnt that what Australia does? Isnt that what Clinton did? Is that what created budget surpluses there ten years ago? Didnt Clinton manage to reduce the debt from 80% of GDP to 50%?

Seems like history is repeating itself in the US - Rich Republicans want to keep enjoying the lowest tax rates in the Western World while the democrats are trying to socialize the country while paying for it with tax increases.

Is everyone copying Singapore now?

Singapore's debt is 100% of gdp but were rich because we have budget surpluses!!!

Just wait for the fireworks in Singapore when MAS cant allow currency appreciation anymore due MORE stimulus as QE3 will happen!

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
What the ..... !! Where are your pessimistic statements of crashing Australia ? Oh no, Australia is coming to an end.. They gonna be buried with tonnes of iron ore, gold and gas.. Doomsday for Australia.. At the mean time AUD/USD is set at 1.07 ! Hehe.

Tax the rich? - isnt that what Australia does? Isnt that what Clinton did? Is that what created budget surpluses there ten years ago? Didnt Clinton manage to reduce the debt from 80% of GDP to 50%?

Seems like history is repeating itself in the US - Rich Republicans want to keep enjoying the lowest tax rates in the Western World while the democrats are trying to socialize the country while paying for it with tax increases.

Is everyone copying Singapore now?

Singapore's debt is 100% of gdp but were rich because we have budget surpluses!!!

Just wait for the fireworks in Singapore when MAS cant allow currency appreciation anymore due MORE stimulus as QE3 will happen!

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Homes failing to sell as prices 'too high'
KIM MACDONALD, The West Australian
November 16, 2011, 5:57 am

About one-third of homes being listed on the market are failing to sell, according to a leading real estate agency.

RE/MAX WA revealed that an informal survey of properties listed in 37 metropolitan suburbs and Bunbury showed about 35 per cent of homes failed to sell during their first listing in the past year.

Some of these properties sold during their second listing or did not sell at all.

RE/MAX managing director Geoff Baldwin estimated for all of WA that nearly 30,000 homes failed to sell during their first listing from a total of about 77,000 properties that were put on the market in the past year.

Mr Baldwin said the figure was high because some homeowners were still caught up in boom-time dream prices, putting unrealistic price tags on their homes.

He warned that the delay in selling a home could undermine the eventual sales price because it gave buyers extra negotiating power.

Deputy president of the Real Estate Institute of WA, Ian Cornell, also warned against allowing property to languish on the market.

"REIWA data shows that the level of discounting that occurs after a property has been on the market for 90 days is more savage than any earlier discounting, so in the current market the old adage that the first offer is the best offer is about 80 per cent true," Mr Cornell said.

But REIWA estimated the proportion of unsold homes appeared to be slightly lower at around 25 to 30 per cent.

"In a buoyant market the rate of no sales would be around 10 to 15 per cent, but over the last year buyers have been watching prices slide and some have been unable to achieve the premium they were hoping for," REIWA councillor Rob Druitt said.

There are strong indications that the WA real estate market is the quietest it has been in more than a decade.

Landgate figures show the number of documents lodged with the agency, which includes paperwork for sales and transfers, is at its lowest level since 2000.

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
And that is why I am soooooooooo glad I left. Australia can never ever give me what I have here, with 2 homes, a boat, and now my 5th car - a Ford F150 4x4 I bought just to go to the home depot for. Why not? it only costs me $150 a year to insure it and gas is of course 3.5 a gallon here - about 90 cents a litre for the poor suckers in Singapore or Australia to cry about.

Hee Hee

err.. where you stay???

Last edited:

QXD

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
The price we pay for peace and quiet after a hard day at work...

Priceless compared to a SG pigeonhole :biggrin: