• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

ATM mistake costs him $750

Ah Guan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Actually before we send the transaction, there is a menu which tells us to double confirm the number. I think we should all partake the responsibility to double check and not take things for granted

If you wrote down the wrong account number in the first place, you are screwed from the start

Put a sender-receiver authentication check in place ... but the transaction will not be instant or free anymore

borom

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Agree-if you write down /copy wrong number-hard luck.

To prevent such mistakes, one way is to transfer in 2 transactions.

The first time,transfer only nominal sum-say $10 to $20.

Once first transaction receipt shows everything correct-than transfer rest of money in 2nd transaction.

Such transfers are free and normally each transfer take less than 5 minutes-so its worth spending a few minutes to make sure .

silverfox@

Alfrescian
Loyal
If you wrote down the wrong account number in the first place, you are screwed from the start

Put a sender-receiver authentication check in place ... but the transaction will not be instant or free anymore

Then like that, its the miscommunication between both sender and receiver. Actually when things involves money, its best to double check. or even more checks on it.

popdod

Alfrescian
Loyal
i dun see any wrong in bank???

Firstly...this person is blind as bat...whenever i transfer funds over..i checked and double checked and tripled check. regardless how long the queue behind me.

If you fails to check....that is ur mistake.
Remember our MM Lee warn us before??

You walk in with eyes open...and so..
You key in with eyes open too.

:p :o :p

Ah Guan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Then like that, its the miscommunication between both sender and receiver. Actually when things involves money, its best to double check. or even more checks on it.

Yup. It's not unlike someone mailing cash to a wrong address. Is the post office responsible?

R4g3

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bank normally try not to do anything. Especially in this case it is the man who key in the wrong account.

It reminds me of an incident about 7 years ago. Mr. A wrote a cheque of $1,275 to pay Mr. B for the payment of some goods. 1 week later Mr.A realise bank deducted $12,750 instead, which is 10x more. He called up and yet the bank says nothing can be done. He called up Mr.B and ask him, Mr. B deny that he has recieve the extra. Mr.A lost extra 9x of the amount.

Both of them are my friends so i know the actual story. Mr.B admit that the cheque written was only $1,275 and his account increase by $12,750 instead. But he did not return the amount because 1) He is greedy 2) Mr.A was a jerk 3) He wants to see what will the bank do, but the bank did not even call him at all.

From that time onwards, i normally use an account with limited amount for issuing cheques. Just imagine a $60,000 becomes $600,000, that will be a disaster.

Ah Guan

Alfrescian
Loyal
i
If you fails to check....that is ur mistake.
Remember our MM Lee warn us before??

You walk in with eyes open...and so..
You key in with eyes open too.

:p :o :p

Actually Mr Gerald should be thankful to DBS since they have always remitted the money correctly in the past :biggrin:

Zeitgeist

Alfrescian
Loyal
It reminds me of an incident about 7 years ago. Mr. A wrote a cheque of $1,275 to pay Mr. B for the payment of some goods. 1 week later Mr.A realise bank deducted $12,750 instead, which is 10x more. He called up and yet the bank says nothing can be done. He called up Mr.B and ask him, Mr. B deny that he has recieve the extra. Mr.A lost extra 9x of the amount.

I don't get it!:confused:

How can writing down, " $ one thousand two hundred and seventy five only "
be open to a forgery of " $ twelve thousand, seven hundred and fifty only "!!!!!:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

R4g3

Alfrescian
Loyal

be open to a forgery of " $ twelve thousand, seven hundred and fifty only "!!!!!:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

1275.00 they key in as 12750.00

don't ask me how come they can see wrong because other then numbers, there are also words "One Thousand Two Hundred and Seventy-Five Only".

Anyway Mr.A's bank is a "National Saving Bank" while Mr.B is Oh! See Bee See.

JinGanKor

Alfrescian
Loyal

maybe the person who key in look at the numbers only, and mix up with an extra 0 behind. If both of them in the same bank would be eaiser to solve. But now since different bank, I guess they want to cut down on the hassle and also deny the mistake of their part.

Zeitgeist

Alfrescian
Loyal
maybe the person who key in look at the numbers only, and mix up with an extra 0 behind. If both of them in the same bank would be eaiser to solve. But now since different bank, I guess they want to cut down on the hassle and also deny the mistake of their part.

I were him, I'll go to court! And I'll win. Cost and all!:mad:

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Bank security officer make so little money :confused: :confused:

TV2008112422090200.jpg

Without my FTs creating jobs, he could be jobless! Be THANKFUL! *zzzz*

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Were there not cases in which the banks credited $$$ wrongly into accounts and took it back w/o permission?

masgnoeL

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bank normally try not to do anything. Especially in this case it is the man who key in the wrong account.

Both of them are my friends so i know the actual story. Mr.B admit that the cheque written was only $1,275 and his account increase by $12,750 instead. But he did not return the amount because 1) He is greedy 2) Mr.A was a jerk 3) He wants to see what will the bank do, but the bank did not even call him at all.

From that time onwards, i normally use an account with limited amount for issuing cheques. Just imagine a $60,000 becomes $600,000, that will be a disaster.

Good suggestion. :biggrin:

bebo

Alfrescian
Loyal
I guess the bank is right in having to ask the person first before taking back the money. If bank simply take money from the account without asking, then it is very dangerous for everybody as anyone can pretend he put in money to this account by mistake and asked the bank to take the money back.

I rather the bank to ask first, so I know if someone pretend to deposit money in my account, the bank will have to ask first before taking it back.

If the person say yes, then he will allow the bank to return the money, all problems solved. Generally, people would admit the money was deposited by mistake.

If the person say no hoping to keep the money, I guess a court case will settle the issue.

2lanu

Alfrescian
Loyal
Must be DBS/POSB lah. First, the minibond they cannot do anything. Then now the ATM also cannot do anything.

Go fly kite lah....

silverfox@

Alfrescian
Loyal

If what your friends said is true,

how can Mr B deny he receive the extra? If not it would be the Banks which receive the extra.

And I really wonder if the banks refuse to return the money n if its the banks mistake, why didn't your friend Mr A proceed to sue the banks. If its what you said, he definitely got a case.

All cheques issued will be court evidence. Why afraid?