• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Are Japanese type refrigerators worth the price?

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Frankly the refrigerators are one of those appliances that goes the distance and only replaced when they are too old and broken. The number of stuff that is in the fridge has started to diminish as more people are hooked on fresh food and fruits. It just means that you make more visits to the supermarkets. Instead of weekly, maybe twice weekly.

The fridge has also become an unintended storage space for stuff that we are either reluctant to throw or waiting for some occasion to use.

On the energy front, I am not sure if it is good enough reason to replace a perfectly good fridge because the savings is not worth it.

kongsimi

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yesterday i bought a branded Made in PRC freezer.

I am so happy about it! Because it's cheap and good.

If it breaks down in a few years time, I buy another new one again. :biggrin:

Why buy Jap and get radiation from Fukushima?

Last edited:

soIsee

Alfrescian
Loyal
My old Maytag refrigerator is getting old & I'm looking to replace it. Some may know that Maytag refrigerators are no longer being sold in Spore.

I'm planning to replace it with another American styled refrigerator. American styled fridges are deeper & wider than the typical refigerators. I need all the space I can get because my fridge is frequently packed with produce.

I'm looking at the more efficient refrigerators those with 4 check marks. I have seen those iconic Japanese styled refrigerators e.g. by Mitsubishi which is made in Japan. These are Double doored with many compartments usually selling for $3,000 to 4,000+. I recently saw Samsung branded models of this type. So these type of refrigerators must be popular,

As this is a big investment I'm looking for opinions especially from those who own such models. Is it worth it:confused:

Old timer.

I know you got a mindset of buying something that can last long long.

You need to change your mindset.

Now even your Japon all made elsewhere with a exception of only a few left that are truly made in japon. Like Mit they give you 5 years warranty that should cover the expected life span and for the price you pay, it is already worth it's value.

Look at it this way, from the way Sinkie are heading they would be extinct sooner than you think, so why want your things to last long long.

You cannot even OUTLAST them!:biggrin:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Old timer.

I know you got a mindset of buying something that can last long long.

You need to change your mindset.

Now even your Japon all made elsewhere with a exception of only a few left that are truly made in japon. Like Mit they give you 5 years warranty that should cover the expected life span and for the price you pay, it is already worth it's value.

Look at it this way, from the way Sinkie are heading they would be extinct sooner than you think, so why want your things to last long long.

You cannot even OUTLAST them!:biggrin:

It might be an old fashion but it is more responsible to hang on to things that are still usable.
I think there is a renaissance of this attitude & it's called going green:biggrin:

My old Maytag's compressor is rated for 10 years use. It's only been service once , a small part needed to be replaced which prevents it from freezing the contents of the cool area.

vamjok

Alfrescian
Loyal
not kidding, my mitsubishi fridge lasted 25 years. only light spoil and the plastic sealing harden, but still can close and have tight sealing. give it up finally when fren gave up his new and larger fridge and pass it to me FOC whahaha.

Last edited:

OldFart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
My old Maytag refrigerator is getting old & I'm looking to replace it. Some may know that Maytag refrigerators are no longer being sold in Spore.

I'm planning to replace it with another American styled refrigerator. American styled fridges are deeper & wider than the typical refigerators. I need all the space I can get because my fridge is frequently packed with produce.

I'm looking at the more efficient refrigerators those with 4 check marks. I have seen those iconic Japanese styled refrigerators e.g. by Mitsubishi which is made in Japan. These are Double doored with many compartments usually selling for $3,000 to 4,000+. I recently saw Samsung branded models of this type. So these type of refrigerators must be popular,

As this is a big investment I'm looking for opinions especially from those who own such models. Is it worth it:confused:

Bro Johnny333, I'm like you, love my Maytag, had been using mine for past 11 years. So far nothing wrong no need to fill up gas too. Still going strong, the ice maker etc all no problem. Pnly need to change the bloody expensive filter occasionally. When I moved house thought I'd buy a new fridge so bought a similar size LG with ice maker/dispenser but finally ended up with two fridges as reluctant to do away with the Maytag.

Oh home is only wife and I and maid but we love to have that extra storage as we cook a lot and have home party often. So if your Maytag is still ok continue with it it a damn good fridge.

A7F58176-BA0D-44D2-ACB0-59E020B75365-115-0000000179506BD9_zps1c35cbd4.jpg

1sickpuppy II

Alfrescian
Loyal
Don't know about other brands bought my LG fridge at 1996 still using it :p So far only spoil once when my wife forgot and left the door open for the whole night after she took out something during the night. Changed the thermostat.

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I like the Fisher & Paykel model. Was looking at their bigger stainless steel model http://www.fisherpaykel.com.sg/prod...roductuid=91B5312A-ABAB-DE13-D3D2FA7EA8425855
However it is is not cheap
F&P used to be reknown for their fridges. Stores here don't exactly have wide range, and neither do they come cheap. OC's hung up on this make (all I need is just my beer from any cooler:p). Compressors (heart of fridges) went bust 6 years, no chance of fix nor advisable to go for re-conditioned types. Saw through 2 F&Ps last 12 years

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Bro Johnny333, I'm like you, love my Maytag, had been using mine for past 11 years. So far nothing wrong no need to fill up gas too. Still going strong, the ice maker etc all no problem. Pnly need to change the bloody expensive filter occasionally. When I moved house thought I'd buy a new fridge so bought a similar size LG with ice maker/dispenser but finally ended up with two fridges as reluctant to do away with the Maytag.

Oh home is only wife and I and maid but we love to have that extra storage as we cook a lot and have home party often. So if your Maytag is still ok continue with it it a damn good fridge.

While looking at water filter systems I came across filtration systems for refrigerators. Maybe it's cheaper to get a generic model? Unfortunately I don't have a fridge with a water dispenser so don't know how they are connected. My Maytag has a port that leads to the freezer but I never got the extra option.
http://www.thewaterexchange.net/refrigerator-filter.htm
http://www.crystalquest.com/refrigerator-water-filters.htm

I plan to use my Maytag until it breaks down, but must have a plan of action for a replacement :smile:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
F&P used to be reknown for their fridges. Stores here don't exactly have wide range, and neither do they come cheap. OC's hung up on this make (all I need is just my beer from any cooler:p). Compressors (heart of fridges) went bust 6 years, no chance of fix nor advisable to go for re-conditioned types. Saw through 2 F&Ps last 12 years

I'm used to having refrigrators that last at least 10 years. Past models I've had was a Whirlpool, Pan Pacific? ( a local brand I think),.. So long ago that I've even forgotten the name:o
A good fridges should last a long time that's why I am willing to invest $$$ in them. It's just that nowadays many companies are cutting costs at the expense of quality:(

While total cost of ownership amortized over the long run is important. You don't want to get something cheap that is going to give you headaches. Life is hard enough without having to worry about the fridge:biggrin:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
u wan old style fridges made to last long long, can check around the american brands like GE.

I've checked around and I did not find any GE refrigerators. The only American made refrigerator I saw was the Sub Zero brand , for a 2 door side by side design. Unfortunately it costs $30,000 which is above my budget:biggrin:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Found out that Fischer & Paykel Refrigerators are now made in Thailand

AhGuan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Nowadays, product designers and manufacturers are not too keen to make home appliances that last too long. How else are they going to increase the volume ? We ought to change our expectations.

For refrigerators, get japanese brands. Mitsubishi is tops. The high-end ones are made in Japan. Medium to low-end ones made in China.

watchman8

Alfrescian
Loyal
It might be an old fashion but it is more responsible to hang on to things that are still usable.
I think there is a renaissance of this attitude & it's called going green:biggrin:

My old Maytag's compressor is rated for 10 years use. It's only been service once , a small part needed to be replaced which prevents it from freezing the contents of the cool area.
I'm with you. Sick of the poor quality china stuff. People only consider the replacement cost, but forget to factor in time wasted to buy replacement, wait for delivery etc.

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
The only german fridge I've seen are the small Bosch models.

I like the Fisher & Paykel model. Was looking at their bigger stainless steel model http://www.fisherpaykel.com.sg/prod...roductuid=91B5312A-ABAB-DE13-D3D2FA7EA8425855
However it is is not cheap & the price is very close to the cost of one of those Jap styled fridges.

I am current using a F&P washing machine & it's still going strong. Their washing machines are reasonable priced at $800 to $1,200 range. Not like the new $2,000+ Korean/Jap models

F&P washing machine is good, mine lasted 8 years too..

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
F&P washing machine is good, mine lasted 8 years too..

Mine is over 10+ years and still going strong. The only limitation is that the old models don't have a heater to do washing with hot water. Don't know if new model include a heater?

However I've taken the precaution of looking for a replacement, just in case:smile:. I notice that now F&P offers both top & front loaded models & are reasonably priced. May get another F&P or a Maytag when my current model finally dies