• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Are Japanese type refrigerators worth the price?

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Nowadays, product designers and manufacturers are not too keen to make home appliances that last too long. We ought to change our expectations.
For refrigerators, get japanese brands. Mitsubishi is tops. The high-end ones are made in Japan..
Built-in obsolescence. Eons ago, my japanese neighbors threw out stuff (in working order) for newer models.

Even F&P are made elsewhere with lower production costs, such is harsh realities of doing business

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
Mine is over 10+ years and still going strong. The only limitation is that the old models don't have a heater to do washing with hot water. Don't know if new model include a heater?

However I've taken the precaution of looking for a replacement, just in case:smile:. I notice that now F&P offers both top & front loaded models & are reasonably priced. May get another F&P or a Maytag when my current model finally dies

Didn't check out the new F&P model, mine is the old type with a stand at the middle of the tub and without heater too. After it conked out in the 9th year, bought Panasonic for replacement as it is half the F&P price and not bad too. For long lasting washing machine, also can consider the Thomson brand, know of one that lasted 14 years.

ykhuser

Alfrescian
Loyal
My old Maytag refrigerator is getting old & I'm looking to replace it. Some may know that Maytag refrigerators are no longer being sold in Spore.

I'm planning to replace it with another American styled refrigerator. American styled fridges are deeper & wider than the typical refigerators. I need all the space I can get because my fridge is frequently packed with produce.

I'm looking at the more efficient refrigerators those with 4 check marks. I have seen those iconic Japanese styled refrigerators e.g. by Mitsubishi which is made in Japan. These are Double doored with many compartments usually selling for $3,000 to 4,000+. I recently saw Samsung branded models of this type. So these type of refrigerators must be popular,

As this is a big investment I'm looking for opinions especially from those who own such models. Is it worth it:confused:

any frifge that cost more than $500 is called stupipak.
stupid+ pak
the hollow fridge contain only 1 aircon compressor.
a compressor cost less than a hundred
you are paying for the style

nato33

Alfrescian
Loyal
Anyone remember this brand - Acma? I think my old Acma lasted my family more than 15 years.

OldFart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Just replaced my old GE in my flat with a huge Hitachi 565L RSF57BMS. Love the depth and many compartments. First time after a long long time using a Japanese fridge. This made in Japan sucker don't come cheap $3.3 ordered from Goh Ah Bee. Here're some pics

F99037EB-3DF5-4A6C-8CD6-076C853D389A-1329-00000123F9CEBF1A_zpsdd7d1729.jpg

ACBA46AC-A4AB-450C-8971-C13038462759-1329-00000123F6A03AD3_zps08eb74f8.jpg

80991E58-206E-45BC-A09D-D82E4F7E1864-1329-00000123EDB89E8F_zps8d131cd2.jpg

Ice maker and taw compartment

F3CDD851-A984-4610-BAE1-2DEBD868C2E1-1329-00000123F0F1A3C1_zpsf14b51df.jpg

Freezer

F51BA727-6485-4B57-AE0D-F0AF4BBCD762-1329-00000123F3C37D61_zps7888e00b.jpg

Vege compartment

5C18EF06-9A0D-4373-A1EB-94F71AF558E0-1329-00000123EA3A3874_zps46609d5e.jpg

Front control

I hope not regret making this expensive choice for a Jap unit

Dark Knight

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
With Joanne Peh endorsing Panasonic fridge, i'm sure it no longer worth the price anymore after she broke up with Bobby.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Anyone remember this brand - Acma? I think my old Acma lasted my family more than 15 years.

Oh yes, that was the name of the local brand that I had a problem remembering. Had one of their fridges decades ago. Haven't seen the brand around for some time. Maybe they have closed shop?

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Koreans are the way to go now.
My nephew's friend a young chap just out of NS makes 5 figures monthly as a LG fridge salesman.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
13k what? it only cost a few thousands euro in europe, how much can it cost in singapore?

Doing business in Spore must be difficult. It must be expensive importing goods from Germany & just imagine the costs of storing the inventory in Spore.
I buy things directly from Amazon & even with the extra costs of using the more expensive courier services it's still cheaper than buying from a store in Spore

I had an AEG induction/ceramic hob which I wanted to replace but had to look at the Bosch brand because AEG is no longer available in Spore. Also seeing many long time food stalls close.:smile:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Just replaced my old GE in my flat with a huge Hitachi 565L RSF57BMS. Love the depth and many compartments. First time after a long long time using a Japanese fridge. This made in Japan sucker don't come cheap $3.3 ordered from Goh Ah Bee......

I was looking at these refrigerators because I was attracted by the organizational features e.g. many shelves. However I don't need features like the ice maker which takes up alot of valuable space.

OldFart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I was looking at these refrigerators because I was attracted by the organizational features e.g. many shelves. However I don't need features like the ice maker which takes up alot of valuable space.

Oh I see. Let me know if you have any question on this model since its in my flat now. But I still prefer my Maytag and LG in the other home more as I'm too used to the way its organised however this Hitachi did surprised me with its deep compartments which I never thought can be found in Jap units.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Oh I see. Let me know if you have any question on this model since its in my flat now. But I still prefer my Maytag and LG in the other home more as I'm too used to the way its organised however this Hitachi did surprised me with its deep compartments which I never thought can be found in Jap units.

One of the things I like about the american styled fridges is because of it's deeper dimensions. Any replacement will have to be just as big.:smile:

I've been taking a closer look at the LG brand because of their "inverter linear drive". The LG models I've seen all have the 4 tick marks for power consumption. The inverter linear compressors also come with a 10 year.
Never had any experience with LG. Do you have any feedback on the responsiveness of the company?

OldFart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
One of the things I like about the american styled fridges is because of it's deeper dimensions. Any replacement will have to be just as big.:smile:

I've been taking a closer look at the LG brand because of their "inverter linear drive". The LG models I've seen all have the 4 tick marks for power consumption. The inverter linear compressors also come with a 10 year.
Never had any experience with LG. Do you have any feedback on the responsiveness of the company?

johnny333 I think you are a pretty technical and I am not which is why I got no idea what inverter linear drive is. My LG is 4 years old now and it has not given me any problem except occasionally having to change the filter for ice maker. So for the responsiveness of the company I still not tried them yet.

This Hitachi does have a 4 tick sticker as follows

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
johnny333 I think you are a pretty technical and I am not which is why I got no idea what inverter linear drive is. My LG is 4 years old now and it has not given me any problem except occasionally having to change the filter for ice maker. So for the responsiveness of the company I still not tried them yet.

This Hitachi does have a 4 tick sticker as follows.....[/URL]

Not really a techie but have been visiting Courts, Best Denki & Harvy Norman to look at appliances. Have been reading the free marketing brochures & LG is highlighting their inverter technology as a reason for the efficiency & durability of their products.

Comparing the brochures of the various companies I have to say that LG does a better job of explaining the strength of their products:smile:

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Not really a techie but have been visiting Courts, Best Denki & Harvy Norman to look at appliances. Have been reading the free marketing brochures & LG is highlighting their inverter technology as a reason for the efficiency & durability of their products.

Comparing the brochures of the various companies I have to say that LG does a better job of explaining the strength of their products:smile:

It never fail to amaze me how year after year LG is the number one washing machine brand in USA.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It never fail to amaze me how year after year LG is the number one washing machine brand in USA.

Didn't know that.

However I've noticed that their TV's are cheaper than Samsung. They also don't go around making fun of iPhone customers or blatantly copying the designs of their partners.
FYI, LG has in the past been a supplier to Apple for it's monitor products.

LG's was not in my shortlist of refrigerators but I've added them to that list.