• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

apple new visitor center

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
this one can.
Minnesota_National_Guardsmen_at_Camp_V%C3%A6rnes%2C_Norway.jpg

That's no SUV. Lol!

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
I love it when it is snowing heavily and you see those BMWs and Mercedes stuck in intersections. They try to move forward spin around go backward. LOL!

Bozos.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
I love it when it is snowing heavily and you see those BMWs and Mercedes stuck in intersections. They try to move forward spin around go backward. LOL!

Bozos.

Do you offer to help or is there still too much sinkie blood in you that stops you from being kind and helpful to others less fortunate? :p

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Do you offer to help or is there still too much sinkie blood in you that stops you from being kind and helpful to others less fortunate? :p

Depends on the intersection and where the vehicle is. If it is in the middle and obstructing traffic we will usually come out and give the car a push. Also depends on the intersection how busy it is whether it is safe to come out of the car even. With those busy ones with left turning lanes all 4 ways it is hard. Usually safe to just let the car be and drive around it. Mind you when it is snowing heavy trying to push the Mercedes up the slope through the big intersection is no joke. Those roads where we are going up a ramp is straight forward we all stop to push the cars in front so we all get moving along. Intersections though are crazy.

Snow heavy don't drive rear wheel drive for heavens sake!

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
early generations of suv suck at driving dynamics, looks, and luxurious comfort. the lexus rx changed all that. after a decade of brisk sales and poaching of would be buyers of german luxury sedans, german auto makers started to act and churn out ugly, clunky, boxy sun's with high unbalanced profiles. but decades later, the range rover evoque and discovery sport influenced both japs and germans to go sporty and low profile with luxury compact suv's. days of the crossovers and vans are over, and the luxury compact suv's now reign supreme among city dwellers and suburban soccer moms. younger men and women with good jobs also gravitate towards the same genre of autos. it's mostly a u.s. market trend.

I've with Sam on this. I've driven the Forester, RAV 4, Range Rover Evoque, Cayenne, Lexus RX ... they've never impressed me ... clunky, unresponsive, vague steering, lack of nimbleness – you know and you feel like you're driving a van all the time. And it gets worse on tight bends where the humble Honda kapkia with its souped-up engine embarrasses you by zooming past with ease.

I buy a car for its drive, so I tend to favour certain makes, and it's always a sedan or coupé with rear-wheel drive. The BMW 5 series is probably the most balanced sedan I've driven. Also enjoyed the Toyota MR2 (mid-engine) and the Miata. Even the humble Mazda 3 beats any SUV I've driven, and my Saabs were way more fun.

The SUV trend started in the States, where they worship everything big, and being (at the time) the world's largest automobile market they drove the auto manufacturers to make cars that are a travesty to their DNA. I still remember driving a Seattle friend along Bukit Timah Road in my Saab circa 1999 – a Lexus RX overtook us and she went, 'Ooh ... my dream car!' I was bemused and could only manage a weak 'oh really, good on you!' in response 'cause I couldn't understand how the RX could be anyone's dream car, here or in the US. And her husband was a consultant with the world's 2nd largest law firm.

Well, if you drive an SUV because it's spacious, has flexible storage, travels well in bad weather, and offers that high vantage point that some people (especially women) like, be my guest. (I drove an SUV in the northern US and Canada in the dead of winter one year, by the way. Still had to shovel my way out of a blizzard in Sarnia, Ontario.)

But don't ever say that the SUV drives like a sedan; it doesn't, never will.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I've with Sam on this. I've driven the Forester, RAV 4, Range Rover Evoque, Cayenne, Lexus RX ... they've never impressed me ... clunky, unresponsive, vague steering, lack of nimbleness – you know and you feel like you're driving a van all the time. And it gets worse on tight bends where the humble Honda kapkia with its souped-up engine embarrasses you by zooming past with ease.

I buy a car for its drive, so I tend to favour certain makes, and it's always a sedan or coupé with rear-wheel drive. The BMW 5 series is probably the most balanced sedan I've driven. Also enjoyed the Toyota MR2 (mid-engine) and the Miata. Even the humble Mazda 3 beats any SUV I've driven, and my Saabs were way more fun.

The SUV trend started in the States, where they worship everything big, and being (at the time) the world's largest automobile market they drove the auto manufacturers to make cars that are a travesty to their DNA. I still remember driving a Seattle friend along Bukit Timah Road in my Saab circa 1999 – a Lexus RX overtook us and she went, 'Ooh ... my dream car!' I was bemused and could only manage a weak 'oh really, good on you!' in response 'cause I couldn't understand how the RX could be anyone's dream car, here or in the US. And her husband was a consultant with the world's 2nd largest law firm.

Well, if you drive an SUV because it's spacious, has flexible storage, travels well in bad weather, and offers that high vantage point that some people (especially women) like, be my guest. (I drove an SUV in the northern US and Canada in the dead of winter one year, by the way. Still had to shovel my way out of a blizzard in Sarnia, Ontario.)

But don't ever say that the SUV drives like a sedan; it doesn't, never will.
i’m not into sedans these days as i just sold my last one after using it for 14 years. it’s boring and old school. i still have a 2-door sports car which i use for fun. the suv is used to pick up friends and family from the airport and the usual shopping errands. for speed, sports car. for utility, suv. sedans here are for fob chinks and nehs who are too risk averse to try anything else. very large suv’s such as the ford expedition and gmc monster are used by hispanics and illegal immigrants to drive 6.9 kids around from apartment to school and from school to the nearest burrito, burger or pizza joint.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Many families would have sedan and SUV if they can afford both. If they can afford only 1 vehicle it is usually a sedan by a mile. Its horses for causes. They serve different needs.

One must surely look and listen with amusement if anyone describes normal and highway driving attributes of a particular SUV unless it is done in comparison with another SUV.

SUVs is a class of its own and meets certain needs.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
i’m not into sedans these days as i just sold my last one after using it for 14 years. it’s boring and old school. i still have a 2-door sports car which i use for fun. the suv is used to pick up friends and family from the airport and the usual shopping errands. for speed, sports car. for utility, suv. sedans here are for fob chinks and nehs who are too risk averse to try anything else. very large suv’s such as the ford expedition and gmc monster are used by hispanics and illegal immigrants to drive 6.9 kids around from apartment to school and from school to the nearest burrito, burger or pizza joint.

I have sedan (2011 Corolla) , SUV (2017 and 2016 RAV4) and 2016 Ford Expedition Max. Actually after the RAV4 that got damaged in collision is repaired I will have 2 RAV4s.

I drive the sedan to work because the fuel economy is the best. I bought the Corolla back in 2011 when I realized having just ONE car in Edmonton was kinda risky if that ONE car broke down (which it did ....2007 Suzuki XL7 SUV). Actually it was just the battery but thats something I have learned to maintain here in the winter.

Anyway no money. So my 2011 Corolla was base model. No power window. I only added aircon. I still keep it and drive it as my primary car to and from work. Value now is $6k. So jsut gonna drive it for another couple years.

RAV4s are for my kids to drive. Seriously when it is snowing heavy and the roads have thick thick snow......sedans cannot make it. Must know how to drive the sedan in snow to even be able to get around.

Ford Expedition is the family car. Yup 2 teenagers, 1 tween, 1 infant. 2 Parents. Also excellent for camping, and long road trips, ski trips etc.

I thought of getting a Corvette Stingray, but....figured it would be left in the garage most of the time....waste money lah.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Many families would have sedan and SUV if they can afford both. If they can afford only 1 vehicle it is usually a sedan by a mile. Its horses for causes. They serve different needs.

One must surely look and listen with amusement if anyone describes normal and highway driving attributes of a particular SUV unless it is done in comparison with another SUV.

SUVs is a class of its own and meets certain needs.

In Singapore I see no reason why anyone would NEED an SUV. Either minivan or sedan.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Agree. The ladies in Singapore love it due to higher vantage point and stop bullying on the roads, same reasons why it is popular with ladies elsewhere. The last thing a lady driver associates a SUV is with the great outdoors.

In Singapore I see no reason why anyone would NEED an SUV. Either minivan or sedan.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Agree. The ladies in Singapore love it due to higher vantage point and stop bullying on the roads, same reasons why it is popular with ladies elsewhere. The last thing a lady driver associates a SUV is with the great outdoors.

In Singapore lah. Singapore got what OUTDOORS crap

My wife loves the Ford Expedition. It is actually based on the F-150 truck. So more a truck than SUV. Wife loves to go mountains hiking skiing.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I have sedan (2011 Corolla) , SUV (2017 and 2016 RAV4) and 2016 Ford Expedition Max. Actually after the RAV4 that got damaged in collision is repaired I will have 2 RAV4s.

I drive the sedan to work because the fuel economy is the best. I bought the Corolla back in 2011 when I realized having just ONE car in Edmonton was kinda risky if that ONE car broke down (which it did ....2007 Suzuki XL7 SUV). Actually it was just the battery but thats something I have learned to maintain here in the winter.

Anyway no money. So my 2011 Corolla was base model. No power window. I only added aircon. I still keep it and drive it as my primary car to and from work. Value now is $6k. So jsut gonna drive it for another couple years.

RAV4s are for my kids to drive. Seriously when it is snowing heavy and the roads have thick thick snow......sedans cannot make it. Must know how to drive the sedan in snow to even be able to get around.

Ford Expedition is the family car. Yup 2 teenagers, 1 tween, 1 infant. 2 Parents. Also excellent for camping, and long road trips, ski trips etc.

I thought of getting a Corvette Stingray, but....figured it would be left in the garage most of the time....waste money lah.
that’s a typical profile of an asian immigrant family. same here among taiwanese, hongkongers, japs, koreans, mainlanders, indians, etc. for fuel economy, change to a hybrid or electric. for me no more long commutes, thus no more consideration for these daily workhorses. forget the stingray, get a 911 turbo.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
that’s a typical profile of an asian immigrant family. same here among taiwanese, hongkongers, japs, koreans, mainlanders, indians, etc. for fuel economy, change to a hybrid or electric. for me no more long commutes, thus no more consideration for these daily workhorses. forget the stingray, get a 911 turbo.

Actually to be honest, can get rid of Corolla lah. Just that I giam sup. $6k....still can drive car doing well. Keep lah. Let son drive it also good. I will drive one of the RAV4s. Fuel economy.....sup sup suei

sportcar no point also lah. Our highway lots of rock chips. The bonnet got the Alberta rash. Windshield always got chips and cracks. I see many neighbor keep their sport car (Corvette) under wraps in garage. Seldom drive. Waste space in garage.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
In Singapore lah. Singapore got what OUTDOORS crap

My wife loves the Ford Expedition. It is actually based on the F-150 truck. So more a truck than SUV. Wife loves to go mountains hiking skiing.
sinkies who seldom or never ski or hike in the mountains have no clue about trucks and suv, and how useful, easy, and roadworthy they are for getting off paved roads and going up snowy and or icy roads. the hybrid versions are now around 35 mpg, great for fuel economy.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Actually to be honest, can get rid of Corolla lah. Just that I giam sup. $6k....still can drive car doing well. Keep lah. Let son drive it also good. I will drive one of the RAV4s. Fuel economy.....sup sup suei

sportcar no point also lah. Our highway lots of rock chips. The bonnet got the Alberta rash. Windshield always got chips and cracks. I see many neighbor keep their sport car (Corvette) under wraps in garage. Seldom drive. Waste space in garage.
yup. alberta is not great for sportscar or luxury sedans. for sure not convertibles. too many trucks kicking up stones and pebbles. at least in cal we can put the top down and drive down to monterrey or morro bay on a weekend.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Read it again.

We started with the Suzuki XL-7 SUV. Which was also based off a truck come to think of it. But it was certainly an SUV.

The last thing a lady driver associates a SUV is with the great outdoors. - Scroobal. I disagree. Actually SUV is associated with outdoors.

Anyway SUVs are so common in Alberta. It is not like in sinkieland where an SUV is like a wah COE ++++ big car kind of thing. In Singapore there is no outdoors. So naturally nothing to associate with.