• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

apple new visitor center

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/sage-hill-rock-hit-parking-lot-1.4431931

sage-hill-rock-collage.jpg

Proof that Calgary drivers are damn cock! LOL!

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
No need for SUVs in Singapore. Period.

The SUV & MPV craze started here in earnest in the noughties when local car buyers slavishly imitated the North American trend without understanding the impetus behind it. The ladies loved the high vantage point, and the guys dug the ego boost that came with driving the biggest car in the neighbourhood. Then you started hearing about how the old folk in the family loved being ferried in these spacious vans because the high seating is a boon to their osteoarthritic knees ... extra space for a 3rd golf bag ... blah blah ... And a hundred justifications followed for buying these monstrosities.

In my recent trips to the UK, Germany, France and Italy, I still didn't see many SUVs and crossovers there. Talk to the Europeans and they'll tell you that they're primarily made for the North American market. You'll never see an SUV on an autobahn – you'd be derided for even attempting the stunt on these exquisitely engineered blacktop roads.

Practicality and exigencies of terrain and lifestyle aside, there's a fundamental difference between the way Europeans and Americans approach driving. For Europeans the drive itself is the raison d'être of the automobile, while for the Americans utilitarian aspects come first – storage, flexibility, reliability, performance in respect of time-saving (hence the ubiquitous straight 6's, V8's on American roads).

The Europeans view driving as a philosophy, a way of life. That's why the Gran Turismo concept originated there – comfort, style, handling, roadholding, speed, enjoyment and fun on long open-road journeys, whether on the autobahn or autostrade on the continent, or on quaint English country roads. Little wonder why the most sensuous and driveable (but somewhat less reliable) cars have always come out of the continent, while Lexus and other reliable but boring makes continue to hog the J.D. Power rankings every year in the US.

Interestingly, many Americans in the South and midwest actually rent a car when they drive interstate. For various reasons they don't like driving their own cars on long journeys. Reliable cars like the Honda Accord, Ford Mondeo, Chrysler Town and Country, Dodge Caravan rank high for rentals. It's about exploring the sites along the way, getting to the various destinations, retracing a historic route, but never about the drive itself.

In a nutshell:

Europeans – drive
N. Americans – utility
Asians – status

Last edited:

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Yeah and I often see those BMWs and Mercedes having to be towed away.

The whole driving masturbation. All in the pleasure of the act. But detracts from what the purpose of having a car. Arty farty self indulgence.

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The whole driving masturbation. All in the pleasure of the act. But detracts from what the purpose of having a car. Arty farty self indulgence.

Same reason that Americans read Grisham and watch Hollywood, while the Europeans read Proust and watch Tarkovsky, I guess.

Of course, I generalize and exaggerate, but you get my drift. :smile:

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
I know what you mean.

Last time when I went for reservist there was this banker showing off his Tiguan.

Wah such a big car everyone said.

Going to Canada hardly see Tiguans on the road. And they aren't big compared to what's on the road.

It's all relative. In Singapore does road handling and feel and pleasure and ecstasy exist? Does one really get an orgasmic driving experience if they drive one of those posh high end hooker type European cars on Singapore roads ?

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It's all relative. In Singapore does road handling and feel and pleasure and ecstasy exist? Does one really get an orgasmic driving experience if they drive one of those posh high end hooker type European cars on Singapore roads ?

I remember Mahathir once saying – like me, he exaggerates – that before Singaporeans can shift into 3rd in their Ferraris, they'll hit the sea.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
drive a peugeot 3008 and date a french-asian fusion lady. every freaking euro auto company is making suv's for the american market. and their eyes are also set on china. china will overtake america as the biggest suv market in less than 6.9 years.

IMG_7769.jpg

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
drive a peugeot 3008 and date a french-asian fusion lady. every freaking euro auto company is making suv's for the american market. and their eyes are also set on china. china will overtake america as the biggest suv market in less than 6.9 years.

IMG_7769.jpg

instead of 1 now you get 2.

SUV-Peugeot-3008-80.jpg

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
china will overtake america as the biggest suv market in less than 6.9 years.

You're a teeny bit late. China's just surpassed the US as the world's largest SUV market. No thanks to their thousands of miles of unmetalled dirt roads, pot-holed city roads and harsh climate in frontier regions.

Driving is a dying art.

-------------------------------------

SUV popularity becomes entrenched in Chinese auto market

By PAUL WELITZKIN in New York | chinadaily.com.cn | Updated: 2017-05-31 04:50
f_art.gif
w_art.gif
in_art.gif
more_art.gif

China is encouraging consumers to buy electric vehicles (EVs) to help curb air pollution, but buyers in the world's largest auto market prefer SUVs and the global and domestic auto industries are capitalizing on that segment's growth.

In 2016, automakers in China sold nearly 9.2 million sport utility vehicles or SUVs, up 45.7 percent from 2015, according to the China Passenger Car Association. The Chinese market accounted for sales of about 28 million units last year the China Association of Automobile Manufacturers reported. And in the first four months of this year, SUVs captured 40 percent of the market and sedans shrank to 48 percent, according to the association.

Market research company Euromonitor International said that globally sales of SUVs increased from 5 million units in 2000 to more than 20 million in 2015 and are forecast to hit 42 million by 2031.

Robin Zhu, an auto analyst at Sanford C. Bernstein & Co, expects SUVs to start outselling sedans in China next year and noted that China now has the highest sales penetration of SUVs globally, recently surpassing the US.

"The growth to date has mostly been in the smaller SUV segments, although that's begun to change in the last 12-18 months," he said in an email. "The fastest growing SUV segment is now at the top of the market. On our count, SUVs over $37,000 (250,000 yuan) have increased more than 70 percent so far in 2017."

A spokesman for Ford Asia Pacific, a unit of the Ford Motor Co, said annual sales of Ford's SUV models EcoSport, Kuga, Edge, Everest and Explorer in the mainland surpassed 300,000 vehicles, up 9 percent compared to 2015.

"Ford's SUV sales performance mirrors the growth and popularity of SUVs in the China market, particularly with our performance in the small and large SUV segments, which are some of the most popular segments industry-wide," spokeswoman Mary Katherine Lim wrote in an email.

Chinese automakers also are joining the SUV push, realizing that many young Chinese families want bigger vehicles because they are likely to have a second child. At the North American International Auto Show in Detroit last January, Chinese carmaker Guangzhou Automobile Group (GAC) unveiled the Trumpchi GS7, a midsized SUV to capitalize on rising sales in China.

"China is moving in that direction as over 90 percent of our sales in China in 2016 were SUVs," said Zhang Fan, vice-president and head of the team that developed the GS7.

Even foreign automakers who want to enter the Chinese market are aware of the popularity of SUVs. Czech carmaker Skoda Auto launched the Kodiaq in April. "An automaker will not make it in China without a proper SUV plan," said Skoda CEO Bernhard Maier.

The Wall Street Journal recently reported that official targets call for 40 percent of the vehicles sold in China by 2030 to be electric vehicles.

Zhu believes that the change to electric or even hybrid offerings will be slow. "Hybrid/electric SUVs – slowly yes. (But) EVs are still far too expensive outside cities with license plate restrictions (where these restrictions swing the argument) so there's not much demand from consumers," he said.

Ford has outlined a production strategy to match the EV goal. "In April we announced within five years an all-new fully electric small SUV will be available in China. By 2025, Ford will provide a comprehensive range of electrified vehicles in China – hybrids, plug-in hybrids and fully battery-powered electric vehicles. By then, 70 percent of all Ford nameplates will have electrified powertrain options," the company said.

[email protected]

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
At the North American International Auto Show in Detroit last January, Chinese carmaker Guangzhou Automobile Group (GAC) unveiled the Trumpchi GS7, a midsized SUV to capitalize on rising sales in China.

i wonder if trump is going to sue them. anything named "trump" in china these days sell like hot cakes, oops, i mean buns.

the trumpchibye gs8
gac-trumpchi-gs8-suv-takes-the-number-too-seriously-106891_1.jpg

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Try as I might, SUVs just don't float my boat, or tickle my pickle. And I'm a pretty open-minded chap.

To each his own.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Thing is I don't expect to have an orgasm when I drive.

I drive to get myself somewhere so that I can have an orgasm doing something else.

If I don't get there on time or in one piece no ejaculating for me.

Lol.

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Thing is I don't expect to have an orgasm when I drive.

You're a Point-A-to-Point-B guy. The Toyota Corolla is the perfect fit if space is not an issue.

On the other hand, driving is a Zen-like experience for me, especially on long, cross-country open roads. The journeying matters as much as, if not more than, the destination. Guess it's my mindfulness training.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
You're a Point-A-to-Point-B guy. The Toyota Corolla is the perfect fit if space is not an issue.

On the other hand, driving is a Zen-like experience for me, especially on long, cross-country open roads. The journeying matters as much as, if not more than, the destination. Guess it's my mindfulness training.

In Singapore what car do you drive?

Does it make a difference to you what you drive in Singapore?

Thing is I grew up in Singapore. So there is no long cross country what driving experience.

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
In Singapore what car do you drive?

Does it make a difference to you what you drive in Singapore?

Thing is I grew up in Singapore. So there is no long cross country what driving experience.

I do most of my driving outside Singapore, and try to drive whenever I go on a holiday. Driven on 4 continents. Also used to drive upcountry into Malaysia very frequently, never took a flight or bus or train.

Singaporean roads are horribly congested these days, except on certain expressways at certain times of the day when it's still driveable. That said, even on local roads driving say up to 45 minutes or an hour (I use the expressways a lot), the driving experience is still very important to me. Cocooned interior, responsive handling, firm ride, great music on the hi-fi ... does take away the stress of city driving.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Interestingly, many Americans in the South and midwest actually rent a car when they drive interstate. For various reasons they don't like driving their own cars on long journeys. Reliable cars like the Honda Accord, Ford Mondeo, Chrysler Town and Country, Dodge Caravan rank high for rentals. It's about exploring the sites along the way, getting to the various destinations, retracing a historic route, but never about the drive itself.

In a nutshell:

Europeans – drive
N. Americans – utility
Asians – status

I was driving a 10 year old Toyota Tercel while I was staying in Canada & used it to tour the western part of Canada & US. Got to see places like Calgary, Jasper, Banff, Vancouver, Seattle, Oregon, San Francisco, LA, Vegas, Spokane, ... etc. There are many, many,... parks in Canada & US.

The car performed very well & never had any mechanical problems despite driving long distances. When I was driving to Vegas in the hot desert I saw many American cars stopping to cool down. My Tercel never overheated. The advantage of owning Japanese car is that they are reliable & you can easily find used original parts for them.

I've rented American cars & my impression is that they are terrible to drive. The foot pedals feel beefy. I was told that owners of American cars usually only keep their cars for about 5 years. Knew someone who used an old corolla as a winter car. It had a milage of 400,000km. In Alberta you need a winter car because the roads get slippery in winter & fender benders are common.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
People like us who don't drive for the pleasure and ecstasy and orgasm will not appreciate why people drive BMWs. Highly unreliable car. Often breaks down. Expensive.

Maybe one analogy is some of us happily married. Faithful to wives. Good loving fathers responsible to familly.

While some others believe that pleasure is the way to go. High end hookers. Clandestine orgasms with sweet young things from all over the world.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I was driving a 10 year old Toyota Tercel while I was staying in Canada & used it to tour the western part of Canada & US. Got to see places like Calgary, Jasper, Banff, Vancouver, Seattle, Oregon, San Francisco, LA, Vegas, Spokane, ... etc. There are many, many,... parks in Canada & US.

The car performed very well & never had any mechanical problems despite driving long distances. When I was driving to Vegas in the hot desert I saw many American cars stopping to cool down. My Tercel never overheated. The advantage of owning Japanese car is that they are reliable & you can easily find used original parts for them.

I've rented American cars & my impression is that they are terrible to drive. The foot pedals feel beefy. I was told that owners of American cars usually only keep their cars for about 5 years. Knew someone who used an old corolla as a winter car. It had a milage of 400,000km. In Alberta you need a winter car because the roads get slippery in winter & fender benders are common.
so you were the crazy tercel driver who almost caused accidents left right and center.