• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Apple iPhone

mario69

Alfrescian
Loyal
today the Mypaper say Singtel wants to tie pple to "Long Term" contract for the iphones. 24 mth still not long term meh ?

anyway, i just bought a hiphone from china ($300). looks and feel like iphone, but not 100%. any bro wants to trade phone? i looking for SE phones like k850i.

Bigone65

Alfrescian
Loyal
If I am not mistaken, all handphone service providers have a 24 months contract tieup to get handphone subsidy right? Correct me if I am wrong.

amour

Alfrescian
Loyal
If I am not mistaken, all handphone service providers have a 24 months contract tieup to get handphone subsidy right? Correct me if I am wrong.

well thats usually the case. But nowadays telco's like starhub allows you to do annual handset upgrade on your principle line if you are holding all 3 services with them.

UZUMAKI_N

The phone is cool but i still not prepared to buy right now.the price too damn steep le.Buy now is idiot leh.OVer 1 k for buying now and after 3-4 mth drop 50%.i sure will cry later if buy now.learn my lesson regarding phone

coolcum

Alfrescian
Loyal
The phone is cool but i still not prepared to buy right now.the price too damn steep le.Buy now is idiot leh.OVer 1 k for buying now and after 3-4 mth drop 50%.i sure will cry later if buy now.learn my lesson regarding phone

its always more cool to buy a phone when its "in fashion". When the price drops , thats when another new model enters the market.

UZUMAKI_N

BTw currently Iphone got 2 version
The one u all mention i believe is normal Iphone

Cos my friend did the booking its over 1k without contract
so even with contract will easily go to 800+

My friend poor thing bought the normal one at 750 then after 1 mth sell at 550 cos 3g de coming out.if dun sell now lose even more.

storm

Alfrescian
Loyal
This is what I heard from my HK friends.

8GB (3G) iphone cost - HKD 4860
to be tied to 2 years contract of HKD 188 per month.

So go calculate yourself :smile:

raintree

Alfrescian
Loyal
Melissa J. Perenson, PC World Sun Jul 13, 2:45 PM ET

I was lucky: My iPhone 3G activation went about as smoothly as could be. I was up and running within 30 minutes. I've been stopped countless times by breathless passersby ("Is that the new iPhone?").
ADVERTISEMENT

I've spent the past 48 hours reacquainting myself with the YouTube on demand. Graphical Web browsing--though content using Adobe's Flash is still problematic to view, though.

I've also become accustomed to being frustrated--an experience I'm not used to associating with Apple. Of course, much of my frustration emanates as much from the inadequacy of the AT&T network as it does from the iPhone's issues.
Whither 3G?

I've yet to experience AT&T's 3G network the way it's meant to be. I've driven a nearly 2-hour stretch on Long Island, New York--a stretch that is clearly marked on AT&T's coverage map as being 3G capable. Along one stretch of the major highway I achieved wildly varying data rates, spanning from 96 to 350 kilobits per second. Not once did I get above 400 kbps on the iphonenetwork.com bandwidth test. Assuming that test is accurate--and from the looks of how slowly Web pages loaded, it was--those results are highly disappointing.

That first day I found it humorous that when I asked AT&T Store employees whether they were achieving 3G speeds, they really didn't have an answer. Instead, they kept pointing to the fact that "everything" was down because "everyone" was activating their phones at the same time. Forty-eight hours later, though, the AT&T 3G service continues to be slow.

Now, this is only one metro area, but my experience makes me wonder about the strength of AT&T's 3G service and whether its network will be able to handle the iPhone traffic load.

It also makes me wonder about the iPhone itself. Sure, I saw it auto-sensing and switching between 3G and the slower EDGE service, but plenty of times the phone would register as being on 3G when it was connecting at pokey speeds of 192 kbps or less. I'm guessing that the phone is sensing that I'm on a 3G network, just a slow one. But if that's what I'm going to get, then why buy an iPhone 3G in the first place?
GPS-- Little Function, Yet

Let's face it: GPS is cool. But the iPhone 3G's native implementation of Assisted GPS is limited, and it remains unclear whether third-party apps will do anything to change how the iPhone can be used as a GPS. (Apple's implementation uses a built-in GPS antenna, along with cell towers and Wi-Fi, to determine your position.)

I tried out the iPhone 3G's built-in Google Maps and was disappointed to discover that the app lacks audible turn-by-turn instructions. It doesn't even have automatic direction prompting, which could anticipate where you are and switch from page 2 in directions to page 3, so you can see your next step at a glance.

On a recent excursion in which I compared the iPhone's GPS capabilities with a Delphi GPS system, I found the iPhone's limitations to be quite clear. In addition to the lack of audible prompts alerting you where to turn, the iPhone lacks auto-recalculation when you change your route or inadvertently go off track.

Even the one nice feature I found was tempered by its limitations: The map and route showed where traffic jams were, but didn't provide any way to get details on what a jam-up involved or how to avoid it.

Sometimes the map would move along with the car; other times, I'd watch my car's current location move right off the map...not to be seen again unless I manually moved the map.

As it stands, I can see how the iPhone's GPS would come in handy in a few scenarios: if you're in a unfamiliar city trying to find a hotel, restaurant, or shop; if you're the passenger in a car playing navigator for the driver; if you're using location-based services; or if you're in a pinch and need some help finding your way.

The iPhone is not a replacement for a dedicated GPS unit. Whether third-party applications will step in to address its inadequacies--or whether some of the limitations are caused by the iPhone's hardware itself--remains to be seen.
App Store Grumbles

I still maintain that the iPhone's user interface is light years ahead of competing mobile phones. But even this interface isn't conducive to searching and finding apps. So far, I've not had much luck with downloads from the App Store.

One free app I wanted to try, Instapaper, indicated that it would be waiting for me to download via iTunes the next time I logged in. Another free app, AOL Instant Messenger, appears to be having issues, too: I tried downloading the file three times--and still, no AIM icon on my iPhone. Hrm. The next step would be syncing with my PC, I guess--but that takes away from the allure of downloading direct to the phone.

On Saturday, the Apple Store where I bought my phone, in Roosevelt Field Mall on Long Island, claimed it was unaware of any App Store issues. Then again, the store was still fielding a line out the mall's doors for would-be iPhone 3G buyers. It was also still dealing with on-again, off-again activation problems, along with AT&T Wireless activation eligibility issues.

At least everyone who stood on line at that mall location got an iPhone on the first day--even if it took until well after 1 a.m. to finish getting through the line of buyers, according to one employee.

I hope that some of those folks are having better luck with their new iPhones than I am.

For another opinion on the iPhone, read my colleague Tim Moynihan's take on what the iPhone 3G is missing, and browse our complete iPhone coverage.

Spud_Boy

Alfrescian
Loyal
THE BUINESS TIMES WEEKEND
Published July 12, 2008

iPhone may be free but buyer tied to deal
3G model debuts elsewhere, hinting at pricing model to be used in Singapore

By WINSTON CHAI

(SINGAPORE) A quirk of timing made thousands of Apple fans across Australia and Asia the world's first proud owners of the new iPhone yesterday. While Singaporeans were denied the joy of immediate gadget gratification, they could take comfort in the fact that the much-awaited handset could cost next to nothing upfront when it debuts within the next two months.

This is because Singapore Telecommunications (SingTel), the operator which has been given first dibs at selling the device here, will tie the iPhone 3G to a long-term contract. This will push down its retail price and in some cases, consumers can even get the handset for free if they commit to selected subscription plans.

'We will announce pricing and availability information at a later date but purchase of the iPhone 3G will come with a subscription plan,' a SingTel spokesman confirmed.

Industry observers say Singapore's largest telco will probably take a cue from its regional counterparts in coming up with a tiered pricing structure. Operators across Asian launch markets have already taken the wraps off new mobile deals which allow consumers to get their hands on the touch-screen phone at varying prices, depending on the plan they pick to accompany the device.

In Australia for example, the second market in the world to welcome the iPhone yesterday after New Zealand, SingTel associate Optus is offering the baseline 8GB (gigabyte) model for free when customers sign up for a two-year subscription contract costing A$79 (S$103) a month. A 16GB version is also available at no cost if users commit to an A$89 (S$116) monthly fee for 24 months.

Rival Telstra is extending a similar zero-dollar deal for monthly plans above A$100 (S$131). Hutchinson Telecom, the only Hong Kong operator given the go-ahead to carry the iPhone 3G so far, will require customers to part with HK$498 (S$86.80) a month in order to get the unit for free.

'Right now we are seeing operators take advantage of the fervent demand for iPhones in different ways. In markets like Hong Kong, operators are using the iPhone to coax consumers into reasonably-priced data plans, hoping to condition them into using the mobile Internet regularly,' said Aloysius Choong, a research manager with analyst firm IDC Asia-Pacific.

'If SingTel is smart about this, they will stack the tiers so that customers gravitate towards the more comprehensive data plans, such as by offering the iPhone at $0,' he told BT.

'Having the right pricing is important since I think the iPhone is really for the mass consumer market. Pricing it right will also help SingTel boost data revenue,' added Soh Siow Meng, a senior analyst with Current Analysis.

Besides Australia, Hong Kong and New Zealand, Japan was the only other country in the Asia-Pacific region to be chosen as the 22 launch destinations for Apple's new handset. The souped-up iPhone 3G, which boasts of faster Web access in addition to supporting satellite navigation and corporate e-mails, will hit a second tranche of 48 markets later this year. In the region, these will include Singapore, the Philippines, India and Macau.

Apple is casting a wider net this time to hit its sales target of 10 million handsets this year. This approach also serves to limit the appeal of the gray market for unlocked iPhones, an issue which ate into its revenue-sharing arrangements with operators for its flagship phone. The company has ditched this policy with the arrival of the iPhone 3G in favour of an operator subsidy model to drive down the retail price and widen the phone's consumer appeal.

According to media reports, websites of launch telcos such as Optus were swarmed with pre-orders for the handset and legions of gadget-hungry shoppers even braved freezing temperatures for days just to stake their claim as the world's first batch of iPhone 3G owners.

In Singapore, SingTel started taking reservations for the device last month but it declined to reveal how many orders it has received. 'Interest (in iPhone 3G) remains high,' a company spokesman claimed. Rivals StarHub and M1 are also expected to sell the iPhone later this year after Singtel's brief head start.

yansen84

Alfrescian
Loyal
This is what I heard from my HK friends.

8GB (3G) iphone cost - HKD 4860
to be tied to 2 years contract of HKD 188 per month.

So go calculate yourself :smile:

i think i'm gonna get the iphone in hk man. they have 4 plans to choose from and the cheapest works out to be HK938 for the phone with a monthly fee of HK328 (total HK4874). quite ok la right?

manu74

Alfrescian
Loyal
IPhone vs HTC Diamond vs Samsung Omnia??

Wat will be the selling points of IPhone over these 2 models?

Wobble

Alfrescian
Loyal
have been told...non-contract version of the 3g IPhone costs USD$500/600 depending on ther memory

Boss_555

Alfrescian
Loyal
Iphone will hit M1 or starhub only in end nov or dec period (maybe sitex show).... Singtel will launch 3 months before this 2 telco time of launch is in end Aug during the comex show as i heard from inside info!!!!:smile: