• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Anything About Taiwan

jw5

Loyal
Allow me to share my thoughts on Taiwan...

Yes, it is a modern and advanced society today but to me it really has under achieved in many aspects. Lest we forget, Taiwan benefitted immersely from the influx of substantial talent from the mainland at the end of the Chinese civil war. In 1949, 2 million followers joined Chiang and the KMT army to Taiwan and among them are China's best and brightest - scholars, scientists, industrialists, bankers, writers, poets, artists, composers, film makers ...etc. In one of Lee Ao's programmes on Phoenix TV, he mentioned that many staff members from Peking University actually fled to Taiwan during that period.

So one would expect Taiwan to excel in many areas, right? Taipei is not a financial centre like S'pore and HK. Only their music industry is a force to be reckon with. The only other thing that Taiwan now can rival China are the artefacts lying at the Palace Museum and that is another legacy of Chiang Kai Shek....
There's too much infighting.

jw5

Loyal
Bro 65er

Guo Zi Xian is a great impersonator. One of the best talents around. He really does his homework on eevry person he impersonates.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
In the classical age, music composition seemed to be monopolised by the Germans and Austrians. After WW2, US and UK dominate world pop song culture. Chinese or Taiwanese, borrowed from Japanese, doesn't matter, it's only in sinosphere, i.e. among Chinese speaking people. If many non-Chinese globally knows the song, then that's something. Japan achieved this at least once, with Sukiyaki by Sakamoto Kyu in the 60s riding top of the charts across the world including US and Europe. Many Japanese pop songs have been borrowed and adapted in sinosphere, especially Taiwan, due to proximity, colonial hangover and semi-common script. Not to say Taiwan hasn't achieved the reverse. Teresa Teng managed to popularise the classic Chinese song He Ri Jun Zai Lai (originally by Zhou Xuan) in Japan.

littlefish

Alfrescian
Loyal
In actual fact, Taiwan is only a fledgling democracy with a history of less than 30 years. Many people forget that Taiwan was under military curfew until the mid 80s. Before that, there was no DPP to contest elections. The curfew was imposed due to threat of communist China and many civil liberties were suspended (sounds a lot like SG where the same threat was used to the same effect). A lot of people deride their parliamentary proceedings but I see it as a maturing process. Remember that most Taiwanese at that time are the same as Singaporeans and have never lived under real democracy.

jw5

Loyal
Taiwan is a really lovely place.
Nice weather, friendly people (but as always you have to find these people), great food, interest nightlife, shopping and tourist attractions, vibrant social and political atmosphere.
Unfortunately, they are really unlucky in terms of natural disasters, the most recent being a 6.4 magnitude earthquake in Kaoshuing. The country is susceptible to things like typhoons and earthquakes.
But the entertainment of their variety shows and music is really fantastic as well as the quality and value of the food.

Queen Seok Duk

Alfrescian
Loyal
Taiwan is a really lovely place.
Nice weather, friendly people (but as always you have to find these people), great food, interest nightlife, shopping and tourist attractions, vibrant social and political atmosphere.
Unfortunately, they are really unlucky in terms of natural disasters, the most recent being a 6.4 magnitude earthquake in Kaoshuing. The country is susceptible to things like typhoons and earthquakes.
But the entertainment of their variety shows and music is really fantastic as well as the quality and value of the food.

In terms of scenery, I must agree that Taiwan is lovely. Just imagine if you've a g/f in Taiwan, every week you can bring her to different spots in Taiwan. Sun Moon Lake, Taroko Gorge and many unknown hotspring resorts which are just a few hours drive. But if you're in Singapore, you've no choice but Marina and Sentosa.

The variety shows are not as good as before. Look at the way 小 S compere. It's completely 胡鬧。The serial dramas are even worse. The storyline is weak, and the actors all look like butter cakes. Actors and actresses these days are not as charismatic as before. Imagine 小豬, undoubtedly handsome, but Ah Beng-looking too, reciting some love dialogue ? He doesn't have the 'depth' to express deep feelings.

Handsome is not the sole criterion. Must have that 'tak chek' (念書)look also. Which is why Andy Lau could never act in 瓊瑤's movie because he doesn't have that 'cultured' look, even though undoubtedly handsome. And if you're into historical films like 三國,that tak chek look is even more important. Look at 張丰毅, that fellow is not handsome at all, but the Mandarin oozes class. This is what I mean by 'tak chek'. So he is qualified to portray the role of 曹操 who is a 'deep-thinking' person, and undoubtedly very cultured personality (even though brutal at times). So it's very difficult to get a bo tak chek guy to portray the role of a tak chek guy. In that respect, Chow Yun Fatt failed big time as 孔子。

Last edited:

jw5

Loyal
In actual fact, Taiwan is only a fledgling democracy with a history of less than 30 years. Many people forget that Taiwan was under military curfew until the mid 80s. Before that, there was no DPP to contest elections. The curfew was imposed due to threat of communist China and many civil liberties were suspended (sounds a lot like SG where the same threat was used to the same effect). A lot of people deride their parliamentary proceedings but I see it as a maturing process. Remember that most Taiwanese at that time are the same as Singaporeans and have never lived under real democracy.
I don't see their parliamentary process as a maturing process. I see it as individuals trying to cement or increase their power due to the peoples' desire for more freedom and rights and at the same time wealth, interspersed with the continuing unresolved tension with China.
They should continue to protest and state their rights, but there is absolutely no cause for fighting and violence, in a place where they are supposed to be promoting civil rights and liberties. By fighting, they are taking many steps back to when people tried to impose their will on others through physical power.

jw5

Loyal
I'm trying my best to keep this thread alive.
Hence I shall ask a few questions or opinions, for those who are interested in Taiwan.

1. Do you rememebr that sometime ago, a Taiwan official called Singapore "pee-sai"? Can anyone clarify who it was? I had the impression that it was "Chen Tang San", a former secretary general in President Bian's office and a former mayor of Tainan. Is this correct? Did the SG government react?

2. We have spoken about Taiwan songwriters and singers, but who are your favourites? Among the current young up and coming stars, 2 of my favourites are Jams Hsiao (great voice) and Rachel Liang.

3. Can you help me to recall who have been Jacky Wu's co-hosts on "Guess Guess Guess"?
Ah Ya has always been the second host but the third host has changed frequently over the years.
I can remember the following:
Yao Yao (currently), Butterfly (Hu Die), Ya Zi, Zhong Xin Yi, Ah Qiao (one half of the duo Sweety), Makiyo, Rainie Yang (who was superb in helping Ah Ya to rebuke Jacky for his ridiculous remarks and behaviour).
Any others?

PS: Please keep this thread alive! :smile:

jw5

Loyal
Guo Ziqian. 郭子乾
Bro Queen,

Oh yes, Qian and not Xian. Thanks for the correction.
He's absolutely superb, in my opinion. I saw a very interesting interview with him and Chen Han Dian on TVBS last week. Guo said that to be a better impersonator, he has to "get out" of his character, be himself and then "get into" anotehr character, so that the characters will not be superimposed.

I realize now why he is so great, because of this tactic which prevents him from superimposing one character on another and because of his fantastic dedication.

Some people say that Tai Zhi Yuan is better than Guo but I disagree. Tai sometimes superimposes one character on another, for example, he impersonates both Premier Wu and Mayor Hu of Taichung, and there were a few times he started to use Premier Wu's habit of saying "hor" when impersonating Mayor Hu! :smile:

Queen Seok Duk

Alfrescian
Loyal
Rainie Yang (who was superb in helping Ah Ya to rebuke Jacky for his ridiculous remarks and behaviour).

Only 柳翰雅 is worth her salt as a compere, especially as a sidekick to Jacky Wu. Another lady who could play 2nd fiddle to Jacky and played her role well was 陶子。

楊丞琳 is pretty bad in this respect. You described her as 'superb' ? Lets not forget the role is one of 2nd fiddle, and you must be able to 'play along' with Jacky. If you want to rebuke Jacky, you must not come across as 沒大沒小. Rainie came across as rude. Her singing is poor, but knowing Taiwanese teenagers, they go for the face only.

Last edited:

Watchman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Chu Mei-feng

Then
chubw2.jpg

http://www.answers.com/topic/chu-mei-feng

Now
450px-Chu_Mei-feng.jpg

Last edited:

Queen Seok Duk

Alfrescian
Loyal
Guo said that to be a better impersonator, he has to "get out" of his character, be himself and then "get into" anotehr character, so that the characters will not be superimposed.

Say is easy lah. I believe Handian would have known even before Guo spoke about it.

Queen Seok Duk

Alfrescian
Loyal
We have spoken about Taiwan songwriters and singers, but who are your favourites? Among the current young up and coming stars, 2 of my favourites are Jams Hsiao (great voice) and Rachel Liang.

Taiwan trails behind her Japan and Korea in terms of the standard of music. Japan used to be the leading light since the Kitaro era. But watch Korea carefully; I believe it's not just up and coming, but may have over taken Japan. Listen to the OSTs of the period dramas, The Legend of Jumong and Queen Seok Duk (eh''''hm !). The musical arrangement is top draw !

If Taiwanese think that Jay Chou is a musical talent, then I'm worried for Taiwan's music industry. And Hom Lee is devoid of ideas that he had to borrow from the the Blacks.

Watchman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Taiwan trails behind her Japan and Korea in terms of the standard of music. Japan used to be the leading light since the Kitaro era. But watch Korea carefully; I believe it's not just up and coming, but may have over taken Japan. Listen to the OSTs of the period dramas, The Legend of Jumong and Queen Seok Duk (eh''''hm !). The musical arrangement is top draw !

If Taiwanese think that Jay Chou is a musical talent, then I'm worried for Taiwan's music industry. And Hom Lee is devoid of ideas that he had to borrow from the the Blacks.

Chinese should just be Chinese .

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Taiwan was a Japanese colony but there's no hatred. The Japanese colonists were quite benevolent in Taiwan. Call it a colonial hangover perhaps. If one delve into Taiwanese pop culture in depth, one'd notice that half of Taiwanese pop songs are Japanese loan melodies with Chinese lyrics.

South Korea try vehemently to emulate and exceed every area of success Japan had. The urge to prove Koreans better than Japanese, with lingering hatred for the oppression during the colonial era. However, as far as performing arts (music, TV and movies) are concerned, they're really still fair behind the natural flair and cultural trails of the Japanese. The Japanese simply had a superior cultural tradition in terms of sophistication and discipline.

North Korea is not into all these, though same as their South Korean cousins, they want to show Koreans being better than Japanese, not only vehemently but also vengefully. Given a chance, they'd not hesitate to nuke Japan to make the point. Meanwhile, they enjoy scaring Japan with their nukes.

Queen Seok Duk

Alfrescian
Loyal
However, as far as performing arts (music, TV and movies) are concerned, they're really still fair behind the natural flair and cultural trails of the Japanese. The Japanese simply had a superior cultural tradition in terms of sophistication and discipline.

Japan continue to produce better musical instruments than Korea; in fact, not just Korea, but US and Europe as well. But in terms of music, TV and movies, Korea have caught up fast and furious.

Robert Half

Alfrescian
Loyal
Undoutedly Taiwan politics is messy becasue the society is going through transformation (like any societies new to democracy -- Korea, Philippines, Thailand). However, Taiwan never resort to coup (people's power, military coup or church intervention) to topple any legally elected politicians. This is one major step ahead of the those that required revolutions but claimed to be democratic.

Shen Fu Xiong was nominated by Ma for the position of 监查院长 (equivalent to head of internal affairs to discipline senior government officers; a minister level position). He was not voted in by the KMT legislators because these people were "disciples" of other KMT seniors (e.g. Lian Zhan 连战) and were not happy with Ma idealogy and "disrespect" for old power. That is one of the reasons why Ma needs to become the KMT Chairman so that he would be able to manage his party's cadres and the KMT dominated legislative yuan (立法院)。

For those Sporeans who slammed Taiwan for sucking up to US and China, they should look at Singapore. Not only did Spore suck up to both in big ways (and I agree that Spore should) the country get screwed from time to time (e.g. Suzhou, Tianjin Eco City, Iraq war).

Taiwan is definitely not a renegade province of People's Repulic of China (PROC or Mainland China). The island was given to Japanese during Qing Dynasty (清朝),and the USA took it over from Japan and passed it on to Jiang Jie Shi (蒋介石), the President of Republic of China during the 2nd world war (about 1944 or 1945). PROC only came into being on 1949 Oct 1. Have you ever seen a younger fellow being the father of an older person?

Taiwan is a sovereign state.. ROC have its own millitary, President, currency (NTD), flag and
more importantly a democratic system :biggrin:

PRC alway claim that Taiwan belong to them.

Chen Shui Bian really did well in seeking a formal independence for Taiwan.

In short .. Taiwan is never been a part of China at all :biggrin: