• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Anyone With BAD Experience With Non-Flip Mattresses (Pocket Spring Type) ??

GOD IS MY DOG

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i read a lot of very bad reviews on non-flip mattresses..........and i mean a lot of bad reviews on US websites so just wondering if people here feel the same ?

they're of the pocketed spring type.............

LindaNg

Alfrescian
Loyal
i read a lot of very bad reviews on non-flip mattresses..........and i mean a lot of bad reviews on US websites so just wondering if people here feel the same ?

they're of the pocketed spring type.............

best mattress is still king koil...

GOD IS MY DOG

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
King Koil jialat liao.........now they just sell license to their brand name so any tom, dick and harry can use King Koil to make their own mattress..........that's why you see King Koil sofa selling in S'pore............just a local company buying the license to use the brand name

GOD IS MY DOG

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Tips for Mattress Shopping

Tip #1: Before you start you need to have a clear plan, and a reasonable set of expectations. How long do you want your mattress to last? What type of support system are you considering? What is the budget you are trying to stay within?

Result: More money does not mean more durable. Thicker is not necessarily better, and depth does not ensure longevity. The following tips will aid in your planning process, but only you can decide what feels best to your body.

Tip #2: Wear comfortable clothes, and budget enough time to make an educated decision.

Result: Rushing the process, or feeling uncomfortable in a store can lead to hurried, or rash decisions.

Tip #3: Poly Foams, whether “soy based” or otherwise, including memory foam, will compress and fail to bounce back at a rate of up to 25% every five years.

Result: This means, that if the bed has only one sleep surface (one sided), you will develop a hammocking or sagging effect that is 25% of the depth of poly foam built into the mattress (4” leads to a 1” sag). The thicker the bed, the more likely you are to have problems down the road.

Tip #4: If you are selecting a coil mattress, coil count can be a general guide to whether the bed is built for an adults body weight. Anything over 500 coils in the full size, or 600 in a queen size can lead to a 10 year or more comfort life. Additionally, the gauge of the coil plays an important role in the support. If it is too light of a gauge (16 or higher) the count will not matter. Also, a heavy gauge wire (12.75) can support a lower coil count (roughly 400 in full) and still be very durable.

Result: You should make the salesperson clarify what size mattress coil count they are providing, and select a support system appropriate for your body size; thicker gauge coils, or a higher coil count if you are a larger person.

Tip #5: The most likely portion of a mattress to fail is not the support system (coil, latex, air or water), but the foam(s) on top. Identifying the depth of these foams, and whether you can vary where you sleep by flipping the mattress can help you determine how long each bed will last.

Result: A high quality 10-12” thick no-flip mattress with poly foam will have sag of 1 to 2 inches within 5 years, but its two-sided mattress counterpart will be comparatively flat if you flip it a few times a year.

Tip #6: Two-sided mattresses simply last longer. The comfort life of a mattress that is finished on only one side is roughly one third that of a two-sided bed, and warranty is not indicative of comfort life. A 10, 15 or 20 year warranty, does not necessarily mean the bed won’t sag in that time.

Result: If you only need the bed for 1-3 years a one sided product might be satisfactory. An exception is a one-sided mattress that has zipper access to the inside of the mattress to allow fluffing or refreshing.

Tip #7: As we age chemical sensitivities can build up, and odor from some new mattresses can be overwhelming. Additionally, some research has indicated that the off-gassing from some foams can be harmful. If you have concerns about these things, avoid any mattress with vinyl, air or water bladders, poly foams, soy foams, and visco or memory foams.

Result: All Natural latex foam rubber, wool, cotton, or coil systems, or any combination of these, are all viable, non-off-gassing options.

Tip #8: For maximum durability natural latex foam is a great option. Used in combination with coils, wool, or all by itself, you will find that the average consumer will keep it over 20 years. A good quality natural latex foam will resist sags, and will not change feel significantly through the years. It will also reduce off-gassing and has little odor.

Result: Latex is not an inexpensive product, and if you are trying to stay within a smaller budget, a two sided bed with poly foam will be a durable alternative.

Tip #9: When testing the beds, narrow it down to a few favorites, then give each one a 10-15 minute test. Lay on each bed as though you were going to sleep, e.g. If you are a side sleeper, test it on your side.

Result: This is no substitute for a month of sleeping on the mattress, but it will help indicate whether you will develop pressure points, or are not supported well enough.

Tip #10: Regardless of how nice a bed feels in the showroom, it may not be the right choice. However, don’t give up on it until you give your body a chance to adjust. It takes roughly 28 consecutive nights to get used to a new sleep surface.

Result: Be sure that the bed you choose comes with a minimum 60 day comfort exchange. Anything less and you are not giving your body a chance to make the proper adjustment to what may be best for you.

Tip #11: Is delivery included in the price? Some stores will build this into the price as a courtesy to their customers. Others will add it on at the time the sale is being written. Either way is common, but in order to compare prices from store to store, find out what service you will be receiving at the provided price (will they take away your old mattress at no charge?).

Result: There may be a discount for picking the mattress up yourself. It cost them money to deliver the mattress, so it should be discounted if they would have included delivery.

Tip #12: Mattress warranties vary as much as the beds that they cover. Some are full warranties that cover workmanship (sewing, etc.), and material defect (sagging, or foam failure/defect) for 10, 15 or even 20 years. Others are prorated, and will fully cover the mattress for 1, 2, 5 or 10 years, and then the coverage will diminish as you approach the 5, 10 or 20 year warranty period.

LindaNg

Alfrescian
Loyal
King Koil jialat liao.........now they just sell license to their brand name so any tom, dick and harry can use King Koil to make their own mattress..........that's why you see King Koil sofa selling in S'pore............just a local company buying the license to use the brand name

sorry...maybe mine is an old King Koil...

jubilee1919

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Since we spend almost half our lives on the bed, it is best to get the best. I paid $8000 for my Simmonds and it has lasted me 7 years. I may need to change it a year or 2 later.

GOD IS MY DOG

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It's a good investment believe me. You paid so much for your sound system but kiam on the bed?

8k on a mattress and a bed....................i can't and i won't afford it............

the thing is..........after you fall asleep.............it doesn't really matter if bed is hi-end or not...........

if i have 3 million dollars then maybe i might spend so much..........

wah.....you really rich ah.....8k for a mattress.............if me, i buy 2 affordable mattresses and stack on top of each other...........:biggrin:

jubilee1919

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
8k on a mattress and a bed....................i can't and i won't afford it............

the thing is..........after you fall asleep.............it doesn't really matter if bed is hi-end or not...........

if i have 3 million dollars then maybe i might spend so much..........

wah.....you really rich ah.....8k for a mattress.............if me, i buy 2 affordable mattresses and stack on top of each other...........:biggrin:

I have friends whose sound systems are worth $400,000 but their beds and mattresses less than 3K. Something wrong there right? The bed is very important to allow us to have a good night's rest. When one's partner tossed restlessly one can sleep without being disturbed by the movements.

Last edited:

chuckyworld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Since we spend almost half our lives on the bed, it is best to get the best. I paid $8000 for my Simmonds and it has lasted me 7 years. I may need to change it a year or 2 later.

Do you flip your mattress once every 3 months, it will last longer, me i prefer hard solid floor, somehow middle of the night i find myself sleeping on the hardwood floor without fail daily.......:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

GOD IS MY DOG

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Do you flip your mattress once every 3 months, it will last longer, me i prefer hard solid floor, somehow middle of the night i find myself sleeping on the hardwood floor without fail daily.......:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

eh..........8,000 dollar mattress ok..............these kind of mattress will flip by itself every 2 weeks...........and rotate some more..........