• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat Anyone using eNETS & how do I get an account

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I am currently using a NETS card everytime I take public transport. Recently I have heard that there is something called eNETS which you can use to pay for online transactions.

Currently I use a VISA credit card for such things but when I pay for airline tickets they make me pay a fee for using a credit card. Heard that if you use eNETS it is considered as an actual payment because the eNETS is tied directly to your bank account & so you are not using credit.

How does one apply for a eNETS card:confused: I believe that all banks in Spore support eNETS, right?

Bonut

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am currently using a NETS card everytime I take public transport. Recently I have heard that there is something called eNETS which you can use to pay for online transactions.

Currently I use a VISA credit card for such things but when I pay for airline tickets they make me pay a fee for using a credit card. Heard that if you use eNETS it is considered as an actual payment because the eNETS is tied directly to your bank account & so you are not using credit.

How does one apply for a eNETS card:confused: I believe that all banks in Spore support eNETS, right?

It's your ATM card, just like you go Giant or NTUC.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Are you saying that I can use my current ATM as an eNETs card? Do I approach someone at NETS or my bank to do the necessary hook up?

Bonut

Alfrescian
Loyal
Are you saying that I can use my current ATM as an eNETs card? Do I approach someone at NETS or my bank to do the necessary hook up?

eNETS is NETs. When done online, it's called eNETs. If you are able to pay via NETS in the ordinary way, you should have NO problem with eNETS.

Next time when you buy air tickets, click eNETS as option. You will be brought to your eBanking login page. Key in your usual password, and while processing, they will ask you for another password (you know the dongle stuff that looks like a mini calculator).

When you apply for ATM card, the staff must have asked you if you would like to activate NETS. So you don't need separate activation for eNETS. They are the same.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
as long as u have dbs or posb or local bank account u should have enets.unfortunately they do so little to promote their online payment its so rarely accepted by merchants its practically useless.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Next time when you buy air tickets, click eNETS as option. You will be brought to your eBanking login page. Key in your usual password, and while processing, they will ask you for another password (you know the dongle stuff that looks like a mini calculator).

When you apply for ATM card, the staff must have asked you if you would like to activate NETS. So you don't need separate activation for eNETS. They are the same.

Actually I'm not using online banking. Citibank used to have a prettty good phone banking which met all my requirements. They have recently discontinued many of the services that you could do through the phone bank services :(

It's now actually quite useless. I called them to find out how to register for eNETS & the girl who answered my call said that Citibank doesn't support eNETS:eek:
I double checked online & Citi DOES offer eNETS. Guess I will have to go down & speak someone for the details.

Now whenever I have to make payment for my credit card bills, I go to one of those AXS machines. I do that for all my bills e.g. electricity, handphone, property tax,.... I think it is a better way to make payments because I do get a receipt.

Today I finally activated my online banking. Had to wait for the dongle before doing so. Now I have to make sure I carry the dongle whenever I travel overseas. Also have to make sure that I bring the SIM card that is registered with all my banks. I really hate the SMS verification thingee they send out, giving you only seconds to respond. All these security features make it so inconvenient. What if you lose your phone? Then how do you book an air tix online?

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
as long as u have dbs or posb or local bank account u should have enets.unfortunately they do so little to promote their online payment its so rarely accepted by merchants its practically useless.

Fortunately I'm using CitiBank. However I've noticed that standards at Citi have fallen compared to the past e.g. ATM network was down, they have reduced the number of branches, longer queues, removal of many things you could do via phone banking, ....

The main reason I'm looking at eNETS is that it will save me $20+ on processing fees charged by the airlines ,each time I use it intead of VISA, to book an air tix.

Bonut

Alfrescian
Loyal
Actually I'm not using online banking. Citibank used to have a prettty good phone banking which met all my requirements. They have recently discontinued many of the services that you could do through the phone bank services :(

It's now actually quite useless. I called them to find out how to register for eNETS & the girl who answered my call said that Citibank doesn't support eNETS:eek:
I double checked online & Citi DOES offer eNETS. Guess I will have to go down & speak someone for the details.

Now whenever I have to make payment for my credit card bills, I go to one of those AXS machines. I do that for all my bills e.g. electricity, handphone, property tax,.... I think it is a better way to make payments because I do get a receipt.

Today I finally activated my online banking. Had to wait for the dongle before doing so. Now I have to make sure I carry the dongle whenever I travel overseas. Also have to make sure that I bring the SIM card that is registered with all my banks. I really hate the SMS verification thingee they send out, giving you only seconds to respond. All these security features make it so inconvenient. What if you lose your phone? Then how do you book an air tix online?

Online banking is better than AXS because if you happen to be overseas when your credit card bill is due, you are going to panic. Not sure about other banks, but with OCBC you can choose to have the second password verification through the dongle, not your mobile phone.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
No, you don't have to. You can still make payments in Singapore via AXS machine like you have been doing for years.

I actually prefer to do things the old ways :o I don't want to adopt something new, just because it is new.

I was going to eventually look into internet banking because I plan to spend more time out of Spore & don't want to bother my family to look after payment of bills while I'm away.

edragon

Alfrescian
Loyal
Also have to make sure that I bring the SIM card that is registered with all my banks. I really hate the SMS verification thingee they send out, giving you only seconds to respond. All these security features make it so inconvenient. What if you lose your phone? Then how do you book an air tix online?

When I am Oversea, I use DBS online Bill Payment for all my credit cards (other banks CC too) and DBS do not need SMS verification, just the dongle.

Bonut

Alfrescian
Loyal
I actually prefer to do things the old ways :o I don't want to adopt something new, just because it is new.

I was going to eventually look into internet banking because I plan to spend more time out of Spore & don't want to bother my family to look after payment of bills while I'm away.

Since you travel often, online banking is an additional armor. Online banking and AXS machine are not mutually exclusive. You don't lose the option of payment via AXS just because you have signed up for online banking or happen to be carrying a new device called dongle.

You can treat the dongle as a key chain and it's definitely a better option than having to ensure that your SIM is on auto roaming if you are receiving notification of password via Singapore registered phone.

If you have a bank account in Thailand you will be screaming for a dongle as they have no option for a dongle.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Since you travel often, online banking is an additional armor. Online banking and AXS machine are not mutually exclusive. You don't lose the option of payment via AXS just because you have signed up for online banking or happen to be carrying a new device called dongle.

You can treat the dongle as a key chain and it's definitely a better option than having to ensure that your SIM is on auto roaming if you are receiving notification of password via Singapore registered phone.

If you have a bank account in Thailand you will be screaming for a dongle as they have no option for a dongle.

Whenever I am in LOS I use only cash & never my credit cards because Malaysia & Thailand has many CC skimmer gangs. I have my CC & ATM as backups in case I lose my cash. It gets kind of complicated carrying all that cash, my 3 handphones, the SIM cards, the chargers & my iPad. Even keeping them in the room safe is no guarantee because of unscrupulous hotel cleaning staff who know how to open the safe.

The more items of value you have, the more stressful traveling has become :smile:

If I do open a local Thai bank account, I will only put in at most a thousand. Will only put serious money if I open a Citibank account. They have a presence in BKK.

Bonut

Alfrescian
Loyal
Whenever I am in LOS I use only cash & never my credit cards because Malaysia & Thailand has many CC skimmer gangs. I have my CC & ATM as backups in case I lose my cash. It gets kind of complicated carrying all that cash, my 3 handphones, the SIM cards, the chargers & my iPad. Even keeping them in the room safe is no guarantee because of unscrupulous hotel cleaning staff who know how to open the safe.

The more items of value you have, the more stressful traveling has become :smile:

If I do open a local Thai bank account, I will only put in at most a thousand. Will only put serious money if I open a Citibank account. They have a presence in BKK.

I am not talking about using your credit cards in Thailand or overseas. I am referring specifically to using online banking to make payments for your monthly credit card bills in Singapore vis-a-vis AXS machines.

How are you ever going to own a property in Thailand if you trust the Thai bank for only up to a thousand dollars ? And how are you going to obtain a retirement VISA in Thailand if your bank account in Thailand has less than a thousand dollars?

Do you know the Central Bank of Thailand is very strict with non-resident accounts ? It's very unlike our MAS.

Last edited:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I am not talking about using your credit cards in Thailand or overseas. I am referring specifically to using online banking to make payments for your monthly credit card bills in Singapore vis-a-vis AXS machines.

How are you ever going to own a property in Thailand if you trust the Thai bank for only up to a thousand dollars ? And how are you going to obtain a retirement VISA in Thailand if your bank account in Thailand has less than a thousand dollars?

Do you know the Central Bank of Thailand is very strict with non-resident accounts ? It's very unlike our MAS.

I'll open an account with Citibank that is in Bangkok. I've visited the office & they have english speaking staff. I expect that they also have dongles.

Thai banks are different because they are more like neighbourhood banks. If you want free local ATM services it has to be in the same area as where the branch is located. Otherwise you'll have to pay a small fee. Even if you go to the same bank but in another provice you will end up paying a fee.

As a tourist $1,000 in a local bank should be more than enough. However if I decide to move there I will have to make adjustments for daily expenditures. I expect to have at least 2 bank accounts in Thailand. One with Citi Thailand & another with a local bank.

I'll probably keep my accounts with Citibank in Spore because I have that account registered with all my brokers. Nowadays brokers require that you indicate the bank you are using. I think it is for for security & anti-money laundering:confused: