• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Any Results from Paying High Salaries ?

jw5

Loyal
You have made a significant point - we paid for exceptional results and lets see it.
In my honest opinion, there have been results through the years.
But I don't think they are proportional to the pay.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
In my honest opinion, there have been results through the years.
But I don't think they are proportional to the pay.

I have tried to use markers or some sort of a benchmark to try get some objectivity going. Things that I see on a day to day basis. I have also placed myself in the shoes of a middle class chap (if there is such a thing)

Traffic - worse

Housing Estates - worse
(ps even private high end estate is going down the tube with construction workers making it their dorms and vehicles parked. Some have converted into Expats singles dorm with cars/ bikes etc

CPF - less hope/worse

Structural Quality Assets Such as Zoo / Birdpark being Built - No

In my travels, I look at other countries to get some sort of relative comparison and there has been a little. Only Philippines and Malaysia is making Singapore look good. You can see progress in Indonesia even.

In Western countries, you can still see quality improving.

What I did notice is the number of children of acquaintences / colleagues / friends / neighbours that are studying abroad or have left seemed to have increased in a marked way.

Maybe I am biased, thats why the thread to indicate anything tangible or intangible.

I do recall distinctly the great strides that singapore made in the 70s and 80s. We used to be proud and. The high water mark was 1985 and interestingly enough it was when CPF contibutions on both sides were 25%.

Hans168

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes, that will be the likely approach by them but it will not going to fly too far.

At the next GE, the opposition should begin to call for a report card on his this. I think old rhetoric on avoiding corruption and paying for talent can't go on without clear results.

Majority failed in meeting their expected performance goal but are still protected & enjoys immense perks n power! :mad:

Zeitgeist

Alfrescian
Loyal
I do recall distinctly the great strides that singapore made in the 70s and 80s. We used to be proud and. The high water mark was 1985 and interestingly enough it was when CPF contibutions on both sides were 25%.

Wasn't 1985 the year that we had a mini recession? Talking about Singapore going through a high, I remembered the picture and report in the Shit Times around that period, which feature a Japanese expat family flying the Sink flag outside their cond and declaring their pride and luck to be in Stinkapore.

Last edited:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Wasn't 1985 the year that we had a mini recession? Talking about Singapore going through a high, I remembered the picture and report in the Shit Times around that period, which feature a Japanese expat family flying the Sink flag outside their condo
anddeclaring their pride and luck to be in Stinkapore.

Yes, 1985, was our first major crisis. That why I called it highwater mark.LHL was appointed to handle the crisis and it lasted 2 years. He did a good job. It was also when the Govt allowed Malaysians whose education was heavily subsidised by Singapore to be released from their 2 year bond as Singaporeans were struggling to find jobs. New Engineering graduates had to take $550 jobs in the private sector etc.

Zeitgeist

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes, 1985, was our first major crisis. That why I called it highwater mark.LHL was appointed to handle the crisis and it lasted 2 years. He did a good job. It was also when the Govt allowed Malaysians whose education was heavily subsidised by Singapore to be released from their 2 year bond as Singaporeans were struggling to find jobs. New Engineering graduates had to take $550 jobs in the private sector etc.

This has no bearing on your rumoured association with Sin Pros House..:p:p:biggrin::biggrin::o:o but were you aware that at the peak of that recession, there was this one particular day when all job vacancies were advertised on just 3/4 of a page? I had not seen the same level of a slump since. Or am I speaking too early?:(

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
This has no bearing on your rumoured association with Sin Pros House..:p:p:biggrin::biggrin::o:o but were you aware that at the peak of that recession, there was this one particular day when all job vacancies were advertised on just 3/4 of a page? I had not seen the same level of a slump since. Or am I speaking too early?:(
Yes, I do recall that. Thats reason why they released the Malaysians. Only jobs were in the Civil Service and Stat Board. I no one Malaysians who paid the full fee and was so upset.

ps. there is no insult worse than being associated with the prostitutes in SPH. Even the word mother fuc........ is mild compared to that insinuation.

mscitw

Alfrescian
Loyal
High wages for lackeys created some idiots.

One of them is known as Perm Sec Tan who paid the french 45k to work as kitchen help.

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR>Sexually active teens getting infections
</TR><!-- headline one : end --><!-- show image if available --></TBODY></TABLE>

<!-- START OF : div id="storytext"--><!-- more than 4 paragraphs -->SEXUALLY transmitted infections (STIs) among teenagers have become a reality, with more of them engaging in sex.
In the five years between 2004 and last year, 518 girls aged between 12 and 16 were diagnosed with STIs at the clinic in Kelantan Lane run by the Department of STI Control.
Among boys, the figure was 119, over the same period of time.
Dr Tan Hiok Hee, who heads the clinic, said the youngest female patient was 14, and the youngest male, 15.
Chlamydia is the most common infection in young girls, he said of the bacterial infection that often does not produce symptoms but can lead to pelvic inflammatory disease and raise the risk of ectopic pregnancy and future infertility.
But even if sexually active teenagers do not pick up diseases, they may have to deal with unwanted pregnancies and abortions.
The number of babies born to mothers aged below 15 has been fairly stable, at about 15 a year in the last five years.
Going by provisional figures for last year, 10 babies were born to mothers under 15 and 798 to mothers aged 15 to 19.
The number of teenagers seeking abortions was about 1,400 in 2006, with a similar number for 2007.
Interest groups have targeted programmes at youth, advocating abstinence or safe sex.
For example, Focus on the Family runs two main sexuality-education programmes, including one which gives parents and educators the teaching tools to broach the topic.
The Association of Women for Action and Research also runs sexuality-education sessions to educate girls on sex and its implications, in the hope that they will make safe decisions when it comes to sex.
Sanctuary House, besides caring for unwanted babies, plans to convey the stark responsibilities of parenthood to pairs of youth - by making them play parents to a computerised infant who constantly needs to be fed, burped, changed and cared for - on pain of being labelled as 'abusive' parents.
Mr Tan said of this program offering a virtual peek into parenthood: 'We want to tell the teens that this is what happens when you get pregnant and give birth.
'This is pre-emptive because they get to experience what it's like taking care of a baby the whole night with the sleep deprivation...
'The question is: Do you want to go there?'
CAROLYN QUEK & KIMBERLY SPYKERMAN

TeeKee

Alfrescian
Loyal
[Any Results from Paying High Salaries ?]

each of us have a share to blame too!

it takes 2 hands to clap.

because we are too quiet, it cost us $400 billion.

US lollars of Sing?

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Thats a very NICE way of showing positives. I suppose the PAP will take it.

Surely, SPGs forced to sell kar chngs to Bangras is lagi worse?

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR>Pregnant when she was barely 15
</TR><!-- headline one : end --><!-- show image if available --></TBODY></TABLE>

<!-- START OF : div id="storytext"--><!-- more than 4 paragraphs -->BARELY 15, 'Nora' found herself grappling with an issue that was no child's play - an unwanted baby on the way.
The pregnancy was the result of a one-night dalliance with a man she barely knew.
<TABLE width=200 align=left valign="top"><TBODY><TR><TD class=padr8><!-- Vodcast --><!-- Background Story --><STYLE type=text/css> #related .quote {background-color:#E7F7FF; padding:8px;margin:0px 0px 5px 0px;} #related .quote .headline {font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size:10px;font-weight:bold; border-bottom:3px double #007BFF; color:#036; text-transform:uppercase; padding-bottom:5px;} #related .quote .text {font-size:11px;color:#036;padding:5px 0px;} </STYLE>In the past, drugs and cigarettes were the stuff of youthful experimentation, but today, it is sex... And while girls are typically cast as 'victims' under the law, not all of them are as innocent as they seem.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>It was not her first time.
The school dropout had been hanging out with a seedy, mostly older, crowd from her neighbourhood. Her friends were into drinking, drugs and sex, and she envied the freedom they had. Resentful of the way her parents monitored her, she ran away from home seven times.
As she needed money for her days on the streets, she turned to prostitution, charging between $60 and $80 a tryst.
'I knew a little bit about sex but learnt more from the prostitutes in Geylang,' she said.
She said she was 'scared' during her first encounter with a foreign worker, but 'just thought about the money'.
She became blase, and did not always insist her clients use protection; it was 'inconvenient' to force them to use condoms.
Nora claims that in one year, she had sex with 'more than five, but fewer than 10' men. The eighth time she ran away from home was to be the last. It was during the five months she stayed away from home that she found herself pregnant.
By then, her parents had filed a Beyond Parental Control order. Her pregnancy came to light in a check-up she was put through when she was sent to a girls' home.
She had an abortion.
Now turning 16, the soft-spoken girl who appears older than her age, is working on getting along better with her parents and hopes to become a model for bridal wear. She is seeing someone in his 20s, but says she has not had sex with him.
'Don't do it because of a guy or money. Maybe it's better to wait until you're married. Think of your future,' she said.
CAROLYN QUEK & KIMBERLY SPYKERMAN

funglung

Alfrescian
Loyal
SG is being held hostage by the ruling party..
simple as that..

taxpayers are paying more than millions...

where has our 400 billions gone?

No way any government or regime make that kind of money.

THAT 400 BILLIONS WERE MADE BY SINKIES, AND TAKEN FROM SINKIES BY STINKING LKY AND USED BY LKY TO PRETEND HE IS AN ECONOMIC GIANT WHEN HE IS IN FACT A FUCKING ECONOMIC DWARF.

THEN SINKIES ARE TOLD NOTHING FOR FREE WHEN LKY AND HIS PAP BASTARDS TOOK IN 400 BILLIONS TO PLAY WITH AND FRENCH COOKING COURSES ARE NOTHING AT ALL TO THEM

SINGKIES !

FIND YOUR BALLS AND KICK OUT LKY AND PAP BASTARDS.

THAT 400 BILLIONS ARE YOURS AND YOURS ALONE

NOT TEMASICK OR GEE I SEE TO FUCK ABOUT WITH

newyorker88

Alfrescian
Loyal
FDR is one of those, who came from a rich family but ran for a job that paid very little. And he took control in the era of the Great Depression, and an impending war on the horizon.

Ya, he has other interest as well. They dont need the money, but wanted the power to control.

TeeKee

Alfrescian
Loyal
No way any government or regime make that kind of money.

THAT 400 BILLIONS WERE MADE BY SINKIES, AND TAKEN FROM SINKIES BY STINKING LKY AND USED BY LKY TO PRETEND HE IS AN ECONOMIC GIANT WHEN HE IS IN FACT A FUCKING ECONOMIC DWARF.

actually i was thinking sinkies should speak up via mails or demonstrations so that they don't bleed so much...lol...

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
Dear Scoobal,

How about losing $100B within a year?

Goh Meng Seng

Anyone can too show any tangible or even intangible achievements as a result of paying Politician and sr civil servants such high salaries. I think we all can agree that paying SPH journalists such high salaries has worked and the results speak for themselves each day clearly with no doubts.

A correlation of between salaries paid between 1959 to 2008 and the results achieved during the same period would be a good start.

However what I did notice over the years are the following
1) Traffic is no longer flowing smoothly which made Singapore a legend
2) Housing Estates are slowing becoming filthy ghettos, piled rubbish, blocked pavements, coffeeshops piling dirty dishes and garbage along common pathways.
3) Our Children fighting for places with foreigners at NUS/NTU etc
4) Race relations has worsened with invitation to each other's home for their respective fesrivals are no longer the norm
5) Contagious diseases are more common
6) The number of people who have never voted in their life is increasing
7) Same chap residing in the Istana for last 50 years and I understand the Rental Control Act has been demolished for some years now.
8) CPF unable to sustain retirement
9) Attack on MP has increased after a lengthy absence
10) No mention of Temasek making a killing in any of its investment since its changed name from Sheng-Li Holdings.

Could someone throw out some positives.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear Scoobal,

How about losing $100B within a year?

Goh Meng Seng

Clearly we paid premium salaries and we ended up with this. What the hell Tony Tan was talking about paying regulators well and we end up with this. After his statement last week to the world, I thought we made $100B.