• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Another cyclist got killed by 30 yr old PRC lorry driver

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Let me guess .................... Tembusu wood?

Cheers!

sg_arts_crafts.2967.1.jpg

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Leongsam said:
When Nicoll Highway was first built, the designers incorporated a cycle lane and a pedestrian footpath. All of us who cycled in those days (mid 60s) were only too happy to use the bike path as we were safe from the cars and sinkie pedestrians kept to the footpath.

Here's the photographic evidence. I must have cycled along this route more than 3000 times on the way to school and back.

Yes. Merdeka Bridge. Those were the good old days just after independence. Somehow some of those caring thoughts have gone out of our present day's development.

LeMans2011

Alfrescian
Loyal
The root cause of road accidents... any form of road accidents... are the minority retarded road users. Next is the overcrowding of the island.
Dedicated motorcycle lanes would have to come first, before dedicated bicycle lanes. However, unlike Malaysia or Thailand, i am not sure how many motorcycles are there on the island? It doesn't take a genius to figure out how massive a job it will be to cut 1m on each side of the road for cyclists.

Take Upper East Coast Road for example, this morning i had to crawl behind a fxxking retarded cyclist for 100m before i found a chance to overtake him without knocking him down, there was a convoy of cars held up cursing behind me. There is no space for an extra lane for cyclists on this road. These people who call for extra lanes to be built haven't got a fucking clue how they affect other road users. How disillusioned can these people be to make such a request.

If we live on a fairytale island with 2m population, half the car population, no ah tiongs... i am all for constructing these "nice to have" bicycle lanes. I would like to enjoy these lanes myself.

As for now, i would like to urge all cyclists to wake up your fucking idea and be more considerate. For goodness sake, even strolling along walking paths are so irritating having to avoid a cyclists every 1 minute... but i bear with this for the sake of human decency.

For now, my suggestion to the government will be:
1) Allow cyclists to cycle on only designated "cyclist" zones... ban cyclists from public roads if not designated
2) Construct more cycling trails since Sinkies love to squish their small asses on these painful bicycle seats
3) All cyclists should be made to take a cycling test and licence, just like motocycle... some cyclists really cannot make it
4) Irritating colorful spandex worn by cyclists should be banned

Last edited:

cableguy55

The root cause of road accidents... any form of road accidents... are the minority retarded road users. Next is the overcrowding of the island.
Dedicated motorcycle lanes would have to come first, before dedicated bicycle lanes. However, unlike Malaysia or Thailand, i am not sure how many motorcycles are there on the island? It doesn't take a genius to figure out how massive a job it will be to cut 1m on each side of the road for cyclists.

Take Upper East Coast Road for example, this morning i had to crawl behind a fxxking retarded cyclist for 100m before i found a chance to overtake him without knocking him down, there was a convoy of cars held up cursing behind me. There is no space for an extra lane for cyclists on this road. These people who call for extra lanes to be built haven't got a fucking clue how they affect other road users. How disillusioned can these people be to make such a request.

If we live on a fairytale island with 2m population, half the car population, no ah tiongs... i am all for constructing these "nice to have" bicycle lanes. I would like to enjoy these lanes myself.

As for now, i would like to urge all cyclists to wake up your fucking idea and be more considerate. For goodness sake, even strolling along walking paths are so irritating having to avoid a cyclists every 1 minute... but i bear with this for the sake of human decency.

For now, my suggestion to the government will be:
1) Allow cyclists to cycle on only designated "cyclist" zones... ban cyclists from public roads if not designated
2) Construct more cycling trails since Sinkies love to squish their small asses on these painful bicycle seats
3) All cyclists should be made to take a cycling test and licence, just like motocycle... some cyclists really cannot make it
4) Irritating colorful spandex worn by cyclists should be banned

Hi Lemans2011
I am a cyclist, driver of class 3,4,5 and a rider with Class 2
You must be retarded or an ass hole to suggest cyclist take a test
Obviously your driving skills sucks that why u say u need 100m to overtake the cyclist
My two cents worth before you complain about cyclist because you got "" fuxxnx " driving skill and you should go back to driving school yourself

jw5

Loyal

They will get Irene Ng to lead a committee to legalize and popularize cycling on the pavement in all of SG and not just Tampines.
Pedastrians will have to beware even more inconsiderate speeding cyclists or the incessant "ring ring ring" of the oncoming cyclists, not that we are already not facing this problem.

LeMans2011

Alfrescian
Loyal
They will get Irene Ng to lead a committee to legalize and popularize cycling on the pavement in all of SG and not just Tampines.
Pedastrians will have to beware even more inconsiderate speeding cyclists or the incessant "ring ring ring" of the oncoming cyclists, not that we are already not facing this problem.

For me, personally, being an extremely compromising person... i am willing to give up walking if cyclists will cycle only on pavements and not on roads..
Or i may take up cycling and train my dog to sit behind my bicycle :biggrin:

Last edited:

jw5

Loyal
For me, personally, being an extremely compromising person... i am willing to give up walking if cyclists will cycle only on pavements and not on roads :biggrin:

Every time I walk on the pavement and hear the incessant "ring ring ring" of a cyclist coming up behind me, I think to myself:
"ring ring Irene Ng ring ring".

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
sg's current demographics, motorways and geography are not optimized for cyclists bent on riding on roads for sport or commute. however, there are plenty of bike ways in hdb estates and parks for leisure cycling. one has to consider the two major different aspects of bicycle use. in terms of leisure cycling in housing and park areas away from roads and expressways, sg should rank among the top cities in the world, far ahead of sf. and in the 70s and 80s, plans were already laid out for such activities. i happen to meet the american landscape architect who provided prolonged advice to the then minister of national development in that era. she lives in san jose. the intent of having both pedestrian and bike friendly space and lanes in housing and park areas in sg some 30 years ago had slower paced leisure biking in mind, not today's tour de france style of racing. :rolleyes:

the newfound religion of weekend bike racing mimicking tour de france, tour de spain, tour de italy, and now tour de california, tour de colorado, tour de oregon causes countries, states and counties to rethink the entire roadway ecosystem. and these weekend warriors have morphed into daily gladiators. and cities are not coping well. especially very dense ones. such as hong kong, tokyo, seoul, sf, paris, and singapore. it's near impossible to re-engineer these cities. cities such as los angeles and san jose fare much better, with broader streets, flatter terrain, sprawling cityscape, and straight east-west and north-south roadways.

verdict. you just can't fecking cramp dedicated and expanded bike lanes on already congested city roads in very dense cities. it's called physics!

the bike racing craze is a new phenomenon, and it's taking the wealthy cities with both yuppie and geezer populations and health conscious ones by storm. singapore, usually not a lagger in the spermatozoa swimming senselessly for superiority syndrome, is not far behind as an angmo chaser and wannabe, and may in fact be spearheading the relentless ride to more taxpayer money pouring into the streets for "gold-plated" lanes..... while they leave behind their diamond plated wheels, which come into play when they need to take their wives, girlfriends or family out.

meanwhile, the less than fortunate commoners and commuters get to walk, take the bus, or jump onto the train. it's good to be rich when you have both a $100k car and a $10k bike. the gov will relent and try to kiss your arse. :biggrin:

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
meanwhile, the less than fortunate commoners and commuters get to walk, take the bus, or jump onto the train. it's good to be rich when you have both a $100k car and a $10k bike. the gov will relent and try to kiss your arse. :biggrin:

I know you may not believe this but my best bike cost more than my car.

My lightest bike cost me approx USD12,000. My SUV cost me about USD10,000 with 30,000 km on the clock when I bought it.

In my view, many mishaps stem from the fact that motorists don't realise how fast a bike can cruise at nowadays. Pretty much every motorist has been a cyclist at some time in their lives. They remember riding along at 10 to 15kph and their judgement when interacting with bikes on the road is based on this memory.

What they don't realise is that the lycra brigade nowadays are often cruising close to the speed limit in city roads. On smooth surfaces with a tail wind, we're often doing 45kph effortlessly. I can even tell you exactly how many watts this requires... it's about 210 watts for the guy working at the front. My power meter is accurate to within 0.5% according to the specs so that figure can't be too far off reality.

So a motorist at an uncontrolled intersection sees a bunch of cyclists approaching and thinks he has plenty of time to pull out based on his assumption that we're doing 15 kph not 45 kph. His distance over time judgement has not been recalibrated since he was peddling around as a kid.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
with a bike like that, you need insurance with a usd500 deductible.:eek:

I pay NZD300 per year for insurance but that only covers theft and accidents with another motorised vehicle. It does not cover racing (no insurance company will touch that) and it does not cover my crashes because I took my hands of the bars or skidded in the wet.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I know you may not believe this but my best bike cost more than my car.

My lightest bike cost me approx USD12,000. My SUV cost me about USD10,000 with 30,000 km on the clock when I bought it.

In my view, many mishaps stem from the fact that motorists don't realise how fast a bike can cruise at nowadays. Pretty much every motorist has been a cyclist at some time in their lives. They remember riding along at 10 to 15kph and their judgement when interacting with bikes on the road is based on this memory.

What they don't realise is that the lycra brigade nowadays are often cruising close to the speed limit in city roads. On smooth roads with a tail wind, we're often doing 45kph effortlessly. I can even tell you exactly how many watts this requires... it's about 210 watts. My power meter is accurate to within 0.5% according to the specs so that figure can't be too far off reality.

So a motorist at an uncontrolled intersection sees a bunch of cyclists approaching and thinks he has plenty of time to pull out based on his assumption that we're doing 15 kph not 45 kph. His distance over time judgement has not been recalibrated since he was peddling around as a kid.

Buy a horse & cart ( wooden) everything is recyclable.. only trouble is the methane emission may cost you!

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
What they don't realise is that the lycra brigade nowadays are often cruising close to the speed limit in city roads. On smooth surfaces with a tail wind, we're often doing 45kph effortlessly.

yup, as part of the brigade, we're clocking 30mph cruising speed on flat straight roads. as part of a larger group, there's safety in numbers, although there's no guarantee. a motorist tends to pay attention more and waits for the last in the group to pass before turning or cutting across. on a winding road, the motorist tends to avoid over-taking as there are too many cyclists to overtake. for the lone cyclist or a small group of cyclists, danger increases. most fatal accidents here happen to the latter categories.

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
eatshitndie said:

Who will kiss your arse with an entry level car?

Debonerman

Alfrescian
Loyal
The next dead cyclist I come across in lycra, I will spit on him to celebrate his passing. Motherfuckers among them proposed lanes to made narrower to slow cars down. Nin Nah Bu Cheebye, cars are increasing in size unless Cherry is the top selling car model!

Last edited:

hawker

Alfrescian
Loyal
I use a particular bus stop regularly.

This bus stop happens to be right outside a condo. There is a cycling track adjacent to the road. People coming out from the condo needs to walk across this cycling track in order to get to the bus stop. Hence there is a sign about 10m before the bus stop and 10m after the bus stop reminding cyclist to 'dismount from bicycle' and push their bikes when approaching the bus stop. This is to prevent the cyclist from knocking the people coming out from the condo as there are blind spots.

In my years of using the bus stop, NEVER did I see 1 time any cyclist dismount and push their bikes. I witness many near-misses and quite a few collision. Cyclist are no angels. :mad:

On this same bus stop, I see many cyclist ringing their bells incessantly as if they are 'shouting' at people to get out of their way. Dumb cyclist just plain rude and act as if they own the damn place.

Last edited:

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
NEVER did I see 1 time any cyclist dismount and push their bikes. I witness many near-misses and quite a few collision. Cyclist are no angels. :mad:

And wear out my expensive cleats???? :rolleyes: You have to be kidding.

Whoever came up with that stupid rule should be tarred and feathered and run over. If there's a blind spot, simple engineering can fix that.

hawker

Alfrescian
Loyal
And wear out my expensive cleats???? :rolleyes: You have to be kidding.

Whoever came up with that stupid rule should be tarred and feathered and run over. If there's a blind spot, simple engineering can fix that.

See what I mean. Maybe that is why the motorist that kill your best friend did not brake hard enough. NO point wearing off their expensive brake pad for your friend.