• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

And the price of bak kwa this year is...

Tristan

Alfrescian
Loyal
SINGAPORE : Chinatown is bustling with shoppers on the first weekend of the annual Lunar New Year street market.

Sales activity is high with just two weeks to the Year of the Rabbit.

This year's street market has almost 600 stalls.

Competition is stiff with many selling the same items, but stall-holders are not worried.

Some say business is up by as much as 30 per cent compared to last year.

"Because the economy is good, people want to buy more goodies for the New Year," said one shopper.

"Bak kwa" or dried barbecued pork is among the bestsellers and may soon hit a record S$50 a kilogramme.
Some retailers say they have to raise prices to offset the higher cost of pork and sugar.

"It's for a gift, so what can I say? People like to eat bak kwa, it's a gift that must be bought," says a shopper.

Kuailan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Should BOYCOTT the damn Bak Kwa!
1. its bloody oily
2. its really bad for Health
3. after CNY to medical check up every thing goes uP!!
4. The company bosses laughing to the bank u fools are giving so much $$$
for the stupid bak kwa! And Q'ing Q'ing
5. Eating those those black burn (carbon) will cause CANCER
6. Eating Bak KWa cause more harm than Good!
7. some reasons to add.......continue here

:eek:

Watchman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes . And therefore government should cape it like cigs .

Hazardous to heath . Surgeon's Warning .

J

Jabba the Hutt

Hohohoho...

Donch worry! After fake eggs i am sure the chinese can do it to bak kwa and sell cheap.

I am too fat. Who wants to eat my bak? :p

Watchman

Alfrescian
Loyal
For fried rice, shredded char siew is much more cheaper and more suitable. Bak kwa should be munched as a snack on its own at beer time. :biggrin:

I think salted cuttlefish goes well with beer .

Not sweet bak kua with beer.

Leaves a bad aftertaste . The contrast .

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I think salted cuttlefish goes well with beer .

Not sweet bak kua with beer.

Leaves a bad aftertaste . The contrast .

I'm alright with both, bak kwa and preserved cuttlefish. Anyway, on a per g. basis, beer snacks like preserved cuttlefish, cashew and almond nuts etc. are not much cheaper than bak kwa.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Should BOYCOTT the damn Bak Kwa!
1. its bloody oily
2. its really bad for Health
3. after CNY to medical check up every thing goes uP!!
4. The company bosses laughing to the bank u fools are giving so much $$$
for the stupid bak kwa! And Q'ing Q'ing
5. Eating those those black burn (carbon) will cause CANCER
6. Eating Bak KWa cause more harm than Good!
7. some reasons to add.......continue here

:eek:

It is heart attack food...but can we resist?:biggrin:

Tristan

Alfrescian
Loyal
It always amazes me the kind of senseless queues that form outside Lim Chee Guan everytime CNY is here. I mean, who can be bothered and is the bak kwa really that good? Fark some even line up for hours on end.

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
its ironic....we can eat bak kwas at 50% off for 300+ days a year but hell,...people always choose these 10+ days to queue and pay exorbitant prices...

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It always amazes me the kind of senseless queues that form outside Lim Chee Guan everytime CNY is here. I mean, who can be bothered and is the bak kwa really that good? Fark some even line up for hours on end.

It is said that sales during CNY covers their yearly overheads. Not many biz can have this profile.

Kuailan

Alfrescian
Loyal
It is heart attack food...but can we resist?:biggrin:

After eating the Bak Kwa during CNY your CHOLESTEROL will be Guaranteed
to INCREASE beyond 250 points, so You will be a WALKING TIME BOMB as what Doctor descript. You drop Dead any time ! So beware don't buy or eat Bak Kwa during CNY!!!

Boycott Bak Kwa!!!

aurvandil

Alfrescian
Loyal
"Bak kwa" or dried barbecued pork is among the bestsellers and may soon hit a record S$50 a kilogramme.

Over in JB, it is RM72 for 1 kilo. The ridiculous profiteering seems to occur only in Sg. While there are some increases, prices over in Malaysia are quite stable.

You really have to wonder about the ST. Instead of helping Singaporeans combat rampant profiteering by these CNY vendors,they seem to be spinning positive articles to help justify the price hikes.

Last edited:

zuoom

Alfrescian
Loyal
Over in JB, it is RM72 for 1 kilo. The ridiculous profiteering seems to occur only in Sg. While there are some increases, prices over in Malaysia are quite stable.

You really have to wonder about the ST. Instead of helping Singaporeans combat rampant profiteering by these CNY vendors,they seem to be spinning positive articles to help justify the price hikes.
i remember that we can't bring bak kwa over from Malaysia? custom guys will stop.
something about disposing of it or fine etc.