• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Aljunied GRC votes breakdown by Ward

Forvendet

Alfrescian
Loyal
I estimate Marine Parade at GCT at about 65%...the other three between 55 to 60%...and TPL at 30 to 35%.

chewed

Alfrescian
Loyal
I state again, the workers dorm is not a factor for swinging votes. Serangoon gardens voters already gave the incumbent party a negative margin during 2006.

We might not be the critical mass but we are a good indicator for similar demographics in other wards. The Serangoon Garden phenomenon is consistent for other middle class income areas like Bukit timah and Joo chiat. Upgrading has never been an issue for these areas. Most are educated professionals and are concerned with bigger issues of ministerial salaries and lack of accountability. My suggestion to WP is to focus on the big issues like FT policy, bill reforms, accountability etc when reaching out to the Serangoon garden residents. The WP A team has more than enough depth to debate about these issues in parliament.

and you know because your'e a resident there? well, I am and LHH's attitude towards the reisdents is that "welll, we heard your complaints & we know you're not happy but this will go ahead irregardless."

to strictly attribute it to the workers dorm for the serangoon garden vote is being simplistic. It's a combination of the dorm , local issues plus national issues that led to a low % for LHH.

Lastly, most private estate voters are not held hostage to the upgrading carrot, and whatever growth dividends that the MIW give out doesn't really impress that much either

Last edited:

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
OK let me clarify. The workers dorm has been managed well. They built an extra slip road for lorries and workers haven't spilled over to the neighbourhood to fuck the indon maids. The sore issue is how autocratic the decision making process was.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Traditionally private estates have been hostile to the PAP. They have never allowed them to form RCs until the first breakthru when 99 leasehold privates home were built at Pasir Ris and GCT managed to get one Happy Tay to join PAP. Serangoon Gardens never had to beg for scraps unlike HDB land. That is the reason why public housing is still 85% of residents because PAP controls it.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
OK let me clarify. The workers dorm has been managed well. They built an extra slip road for lorries and workers haven't spilled over to the neighbourhood to fuck the indon maids. The sore issue is how autocratic the decision making process was.

The argument is not wether the dorm is ran well and so forth, it is why it is there in the first place, surely they can find better use for the old school? The other, it was done in a 'sneaky' manner, until the 'cat' was let out of the bag. The third would be, the talk you down attitude that was adopted, the same as the mantra now of "we listen to you", but it is like the wind blowing. Lastly, who wants a workers dormitory down your road, if you live in a private landed property.

Last edited:

chewed

Alfrescian
Loyal

Yes, that was the sore issue.

steffychun

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sources told The Straits Times that the lowest scoring division was Mrs Lim Hwee Hua’s Serangoon, which garnered about 40 per cent of the votes.

Next up was Madam Cynthia Phua’s Paya Lebar division. This was followed by Mr George Yeo’s Bedok Reservoir-Punggol division and Mr Ong Ye Kung’s Kaki Bukit division. And then came Mr Zainul Abidin Rasheed’s Eunos division.

All scored below 50 per cent, with Mr Zainul doing better by scrapping under with between 1,000 and 2,000 votes.

http://www.asiaone.com/News/AsiaOne+News/Singapore/Story/A1Story20110509-277921.html

Interesting.
Did they also lose the Malay vote? Would be interesting to see the breakdown of the other closely contested GRC's like East Coast and Marine Parade. Anyone has any info on those?

GRC got Ward?!!!