• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Aljunied GRC votes breakdown by Ward

imperialarms

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sources told The Straits Times that the lowest scoring division was Mrs Lim Hwee Hua’s Serangoon, which garnered about 40 per cent of the votes.

Next up was Madam Cynthia Phua’s Paya Lebar division. This was followed by Mr George Yeo’s Bedok Reservoir-Punggol division and Mr Ong Ye Kung’s Kaki Bukit division. And then came Mr Zainul Abidin Rasheed’s Eunos division.

All scored below 50 per cent, with Mr Zainul doing better by scrapping under with between 1,000 and 2,000 votes.

http://www.asiaone.com/News/AsiaOne+News/Singapore/Story/A1Story20110509-277921.html

Interesting.
Did they also lose the Malay vote? Would be interesting to see the breakdown of the other closely contested GRC's like East Coast and Marine Parade. Anyone has any info on those?

ahleebabasingaporethief

Alfrescian
Loyal
Do not think they lost the Malay votes.

If you look at the highest scoring SMCs wins; those that scored the highest have large Malay population staying there.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
PAP still win Malay vote with less total count.
Previous election 2001 & 2006 Malay vote for PAP are about 80% now maybe 60% a drop of 20% support from malay.

chewed

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sources told The Straits Times that the lowest scoring division was Mrs Lim Hwee Hua’s Serangoon, which garnered about 40 per cent of the votes.

Next up was Madam Cynthia Phua’s Paya Lebar division. This was followed by Mr George Yeo’s Bedok Reservoir-Punggol division and Mr Ong Ye Kung’s Kaki Bukit division. And then came Mr Zainul Abidin Rasheed’s Eunos division.

All scored below 50 per cent, with Mr Zainul doing better by scrapping under with between 1,000 and 2,000 votes.

http://www.asiaone.com/News/AsiaOne+News/Singapore/Story/A1Story20110509-277921.html

Interesting.
Did they also lose the Malay vote? Would be interesting to see the breakdown of the other closely contested GRC's like East Coast and Marine Parade. Anyone has any info on those?

the very fact that LHH got the lowest votes in Aljunied GRC should dispel the myth that Serangoon gardens voters support PAP, or private estate voters support PAP.

as a former resident of serangoon gardens, i'm quite confident to say that the residents there are upset over the dormitory issue, the so-called estate upgrading which only upgraded the older looking street lamps to a newer more fancy looking one, the 12 pubs/KTV in serangoon gardens etc, not to mention the more natioal issues of cost of living, FT.

in previous years, in 06 & 07, the Aljunied TC would decorate the circle during Christmas & CNY, to celebrate the festive season. But from 08 onwards, nothing was being done. I attribute this to ground sentiments not in favor of PAP.

True enough, this time round, we can say goodbye to LHH.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
does that means GRC is history? this election was supposed to give pap a bloody nose, but it seem it did not work. pap is intact and very much in control.

wikiphile

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
does that means GRC is history? this election was supposed to give pap a bloody nose, but it seem it did not work. pap is intact and very much in control.

I won't be suprised if it is, Aljunied has been carved here and there for the past 20 years since 1991. The question is unless they can somehow merge Aljunied GRC with Sembawang GRC (which might happen!). The Northeast has fallen, the East is shaky. To the PAP, for now the West is the best

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
the very fact that LHH got the lowest votes in Aljunied GRC should dispel the myth that Serangoon gardens voters support PAP, or private estate voters support PAP.

as a former resident of serangoon gardens, i'm quite confident to say that the residents there are upset over the dormitory issue, the so-called estate upgrading which only upgraded the older looking street lamps to a newer more fancy looking one, the 12 pubs/KTV in serangoon gardens etc, not to mention the more natioal issues of cost of living, FT.

in previous years, in 06 & 07, the Aljunied TC would decorate the circle during Christmas & CNY, to celebrate the festive season. But from 08 onwards, nothing was being done. I attribute this to ground sentiments not in favor of PAP.

True enough, this time round, we can say goodbye to LHH.

Fair, they have gone a lot to improve the look of Serangoon Gardens, but it had lost the old world charm . This is a wakeup call for the 'whities', upgrading does not buy the hearts of the people; for the people doing the upgrading have no heart for them. Their sholve down your throat & YOU LISTEN TO ME!, policies are turning people, slowly but surely against them. The dormitory, was a big mistake!! despite all the concession. Not LISTENING TO ME! was another mistake. But will they learn from these mistakes or would it be like the 'leopard that never changes its spots'??

annexa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Actually they are wrong to do racial vote counting now. It is not Malay vote PAP or not. Now the votes should be counting the age group. Gen X and Gen Y are almost evenly split in voting PAP and oppo. The even younger Gen Z etc are the most against PAP no matter what race. Malays as a group or any other race has no significance any more. Race is a blurring line in the younger generation. Even LKY has to stand corrected on his observation on race issue.

patrickv

Alfrescian
Loyal
best thing is the that pap loser team cannot even blame each other. cos all 5 of them poll below 50%.

ThePlen

Alfrescian
Loyal
Lim Hwee Hua got played out by foreign workers' dormitories and the police case on the 17 year old boy. it really does look like GY was left to fend for himself wasnt it?

streetsmart73

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
PAP still win Malay vote with less total count.
Previous election 2001 & 2006 Malay vote for PAP are about 80% now maybe 60% a drop of 20% support from malay.

hi there

1. well, sheep keep on insulting the m&d.
2. paying for its own words leh!

eQuipment

Alfrescian
Loyal
serangoon votes plummet for the following reasons:
1. FT dormitory in the neighborhood
2. upgrading, got upgrade like didnt upgrade
3. lift upgrading is more like lift down grading, the size of the lift carriages shrank by 20-30%
4. holding new yr eve countdown party resulting in massive traffic mayhem & sleepless night for residents
5. MP wont come to see u, unless u go to the MPS

eQuipment

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sources told The Straits Times that the lowest scoring division was Mrs Lim Hwee Hua’s Serangoon, which garnered about 40 per cent of the votes. Next up was Madam Cynthia Phua’s Paya Lebar division. This was followed by Mr George Yeo’s Bedok Reservoir-Punggol division and Mr Ong Ye Kung’s Kaki Bukit division. And then came Mr Zainul Abidin Rasheed’s Eunos division.

All scored below 50 per cent.........
based on the figures, either the pap team in aljunied really screwed themselves up over the past 5yrs, or, the voters of aljunied know the importance of having alternative voices in parliament, while the remaining 60% of singapore r still in their dreams.

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I state again, the workers dorm is not a factor for swinging votes. Serangoon gardens voters already gave the incumbent party a negative margin during 2006.

We might not be the critical mass but we are a good indicator for similar demographics in other wards. The Serangoon Garden phenomenon is consistent for other middle class income areas like Bukit timah and Joo chiat. Upgrading has never been an issue for these areas. Most are educated professionals and are concerned with bigger issues of ministerial salaries and lack of accountability. My suggestion to WP is to focus on the big issues like FT policy, bill reforms, accountability etc when reaching out to the Serangoon garden residents. The WP A team has more than enough depth to debate about these issues in parliament.

Forvendet

Alfrescian
Loyal
Every ward has their own problems, not only Aljunied. George Yeo and team didn't lose Aljunied through these problems. LTK, Sylvia Lim, CSM won Aljunied. Put a less powerful opposition team there and Aljunied wouldn't have fallen.

Last edited:

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I state again, the workers dorm is not a factor for swinging votes. Serangoon gardens voters already gave the incumbent party a negative margin during 2006.

We might not be the critical mass but we are a good indicator for similar demographics in other wards. The Serangoon Garden phenomenon is consistent for other middle class income areas like Bukit timah and Joo chiat. Upgrading has never been an issue for these areas. Most are educated professionals and are concerned with bigger issues of ministerial salaries and lack of accountability. My suggestion to WP is to focus on the big issues like FT policy, bill reforms, accountability etc when reaching out to the Serangoon garden residents. The WP A team has more than enough depth to debate about these issues in parliament.

What are you saying, I won't want a workers dormitory in my midst if I am staying in a terrace or semi-detached or 3 storey California style house. Especially when the initial leaked plan was to house, contsruction or marine workers, not the later amended ones of service orientated workers. In the first place, they screwed the people living there. The residents there after 40 years saw the light & the GRC too!

Now they champion 'listening to you", soon they will say, they are listening to too many voices, best that those representing you speak & they listen. It will be the same lyrics set to new genre of music. Of course they listen...but whom are they listening to.

jw5

Loyal
Ouch! The ST really knows where to hit where it hurts!
Once no power already, it's anything goes! :biggrin:

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i got an inkling that PAP expect themselves to lose Aljunied...WP has put up an A-team, PAP recognise they could not / should not counter with equally strong team - for risk of putting all their resources in one basket and result in losing more seats.

U can see the close shave in East Coast - why on earth they put a higher mortal there is baffling when the incumbent Seng guy was doing ok...they got a fright but squeezed through.

I believe they won Marine Parade bcos of SM Goh, otherwise TPL would have cost them dearly.

U can see, even LKY dun go and lend his weight to GY when he is free & he has a walkover, compared to what he have done in Hougang / PP the previous election. Says as much right? If they really want to back GY up, they would have swung all resources.

They let Aljunied go to appease the Singaporeans & GY becomes the sacrifical goat.