• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

advice needed : child's education

catch71

Alfrescian
Loyal
was thinking of moving the children overseas for their education and at the same time migrate if they are offered citizenship.. I need to stay back in sing to work, and was hoping the wife will go with them. the children are 7 and 3 this year. some things i cannot get my head around and was hoping experienced bros can offer some advice:

Money: If we are lucky, we should be able to pay up the housing loan over the next 3 / 5 years. then the rental incomes will be useful for day to day living.

Education : somewhere the children can explore and really learn instead of mugging all the time. maybe it open their horizon and they can return as FT?? Personally, i dont think the current singapore way of education can prepare children for the future.. too much route learning.

Job : I will prob stay back to work while the wife and children can go over. The rental incomes should be enough for them to survive..

Question 1 : where is a good place for such purpose? May not qualify for immigration to Oz and NZ based on my points, moreover, was thinking more for the children... Anyone with experience in US, Canada, England or Scotland?

Question 2: what is the legality concerning NS for my boy?

catch71

Alfrescian
Loyal
I meant to ask if there is anything else i should be looking out for? any opinions esp on the country of choice would be much appreciated. Cheers

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Job : I will prob stay back to work while the wife and children can go over. The rental incomes should be enough for them to survive..

I am no expert on this subject matter. But I doubt your HDB rental can cover the living expenses of your spouse and 2 kids when they are overseas. Rental, makan, school fees etc.

catch71

Alfrescian
Loyal
we should be ok on that front if we lead a simple life. I reckon we have minimal 7.5k pm in rental. furthermore, I should still be working.

thanks to boss sam for the info ns. considering my boy will be seven this year... I have 4 yrs before he turn 11.

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
was thinking of moving the children overseas for their education and at the same time migrate if they are offered citizenship.. I need to stay back in sing to work, and was hoping the wife will go with them. the children are 7 and 3 this year. some things i cannot get my head around and was hoping experienced bros can offer some advice:

Money: If we are lucky, we should be able to pay up the housing loan over the next 3 / 5 years. then the rental incomes will be useful for day to day living.

Education : somewhere the children can explore and really learn instead of mugging all the time. maybe it open their horizon and they can return as FT?? Personally, i dont think the current singapore way of education can prepare children for the future.. too much route learning.

Question 1 : where is a good place for such purpose? May not qualify for immigration to Oz and NZ based on my points, moreover, was thinking more for the children... Anyone with experience in US, Canada, England or Scotland?

If your boy change citizen then no NS!
Your wife and children stay oversea and u work in Sg. In long run will have problem. Eg.Children or you will wearing green hat.
If need to go go together or stay sg together.

Tuayapeh

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Bro all i can say is tha its gonna be tough when your children are grwoing up without your presence.

If i were you i would not waste anymore time here in this fuckhole but acquire the skills which would be needed in the new country and then get a job here instead. It doesnt matter if you have to start off half fucked like some part timer or at poor pay, everything will even out with hard work and sheer industry. Especially if you get a job tha has a lot of poetntial. Please dont go and do a job that has little or no scalabilty......

nirvarq

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Family is "being together", that's what i focus most, i'm there to provide, educate and share, to love. One wedding dinner i talked to a niece, told her "Aiya anyways next time all the wealth from your parents will be yours" She teared and said "All i want is their time......."

bryanlim1972

Alfrescian
Loyal

the stress that kids feel about education ALL come from the parents. if you don't screw them for failing exams, do you think they will feel stressed? if you don't force them to mug, don't you think they will have time for other pursuits?

the education system here could be better, but is far from broken. what's broken are the attitudes of parents.

i have many friends from PHDs to O level dropouts. but when we sit around for poker and drinks, it doesn't matter how well we did in the O levels. we all managed to achieve success in our own ways. what we all share in common, is the desire to succeed driven by our personal motivations.

mighty scholars can fall, humble dropouts can succeed. life is more than PSLE, Os and As.

ashjaw

Alfrescian
Loyal
Unless you have skills that are in demand, I don't think you have the privilege to choose where to go unless of course you are $$ rich. I suggest you shortlist where you are most likely be able to get in then start your research. Many countries are tightening their borders and controlling their numbers of visa they are issuing so you need to do your homework. There are of course many other ways to get into the country and not by the usual means. And finally, there are lots of stress living in a new country in the beginning, it is gonna be very tough for your wife and kids.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If you are getting rentals from Spore that should provide you with enough $ to live outside Spore.

Don't expect to land a well paying job in the west. As a newbie you need to get "local" experience before making big bucks. Many of my friends who have left Spore end up with jobs that are unrelated to their degrees.
Just remember that the long term goal is to give you & your children a better life.

Equalisation

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Agree.

I have a relative who bought a unit of Lucky Plaza decades ago at $90,000. Now renting out at $12,000 a month. Everyday shake legs only.

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Agree.

I have a relative who bought a unit of Lucky Plaza decades ago at $90,000. Now renting out at $12,000 a month. Everyday shake legs only.
hoi! ...

ppl ask u 2 advise n 4 advice on childz education la ... not how much a unit of lucky plaza cost decades ago, woh! ...

ealry morning oredi drunk! ...

catch71

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks for all the pointers.

But based on current situatlon, the best i can do is 7.5k pm passive income within 4 years. otherwise, it will have to wait another 5-8 years for us to come up with something else. if we are really thrifty, that should be enough for a family of 4? I do not wish to go and expose the family to uncertainities, i have enough of that growing up, and certainly do not wish to put my children thru that.

yes, i seemed to have lost sight of the value of a family being together. thanks for the reminder.

I tried to be open minded about the kiddo's education, but it is difficult for the child and ourselves if he is unable to catch up. the education system do not take kindly to children who do not do well in their exams, no? as it is, we try to open his horizon by sending him for enrichment classes that are not academic in nature.. taekwando, art and music...and he is complaining that he doesnt have time to play... also, i am not convinced that Singapore would be a good place live by the time they grow up.

At this point, i was hoping he can go and study in some other country, not to migrate there, they can decide what they want to do when they are older, I believe i should help them keep their options open, and they can make such major decisions for themselves when they are ready. Similar to the malaysian children coming to study in singapore, and they can decide what to do after they are done..

Not sure if i am being too idealistic?

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Thanks for all the pointers.

But based on current situatlon, the best i can do is 7.5k pm passive income within 4 years. otherwise, it will have to wait another 5-8 years for us to come up with something else. if we are really thrifty, that should be enough for a family of 4? I do not wish to go and expose the family to uncertainities, i have enough of that growing up, and certainly do not wish to put my children thru that.

yes, i seemed to have lost sight of the value of a family being together. thanks for the reminder.

I tried to be open minded about the kiddo's education, but it is difficult for the child and ourselves if he is unable to catch up. the education system do not take kindly to children who do not do well in their exams, no? as it is, we try to open his horizon by sending him for enrichment classes that are not academic in nature.. taekwando, art and music...and he is complaining that he doesnt have time to play... also, i am not convinced that Singapore would be a good place live by the time they grow up.

At this point, i was hoping he can go and study in some other country, not to migrate there, they can decide what they want to do when they are older, I believe i should help them keep their options open, and they can make such major decisions for themselves when they are ready. Similar to the malaysian children coming to study in singapore, and they can decide what to do after they are done..

Not sure if i am being too idealistic?

Sinkapore's education system is not meant for the non-conformist. And it looks like your kids doesn't fit in. Kids need to play to juice their creativity and your kids seem to be deprive of that.

Sending your kids overseas to study is an expensive venture - unless he is going to Malaysia. The fees could easily hit $10k a year. Why don't you start him off in school overseas while you apply for immigration? When your paper comes through, your wife plus kids head out while you remain to provide the bacon.

Getting them the PR is merely giving them an option. They don't have to keep it later on if they don't want.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
the stress that kids feel about education ALL come from the parents. if you don't screw them for failing exams, do you think they will feel stressed? if you don't force them to mug, don't you think they will have time for other pursuits?

the education system here could be better, but is far from broken. what's broken are the attitudes of parents.

i have many friends from PHDs to O level dropouts. but when we sit around for poker and drinks, it doesn't matter how well we did in the O levels. we all managed to achieve success in our own ways. what we all share in common, is the desire to succeed driven by our personal motivations.

mighty scholars can fall, humble dropouts can succeed. life is more than PSLE, Os and As.

It is true. However, without the paper, the kid can't go anywhere. And it will be a matter of time, he will end up as a hoodlum. Being ostracised by society for not being able to conform to the education system is not easy for any child to handle. Without supportive parents, the child could easily succumb to despondency and retaliate.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Family is "being together", that's what i focus most, i'm there to provide, educate and share, to love. One wedding dinner i talked to a niece, told her "Aiya anyways next time all the wealth from your parents will be yours" She teared and said "All i want is their time......."

With technology, it is easier to stay connected. Absence makes the heart grown fonder.

garlic

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I reply here with strict reference to solely what your thread subject is: Child's education.

If a good, all-round education is what you are searching for your kid, then i would say going overseas is NOT your only choice. The best form of education is home school your kid (for the age your kids are in). Even for kids in the west, not all are able to be home-schooled, but many would prefer home schooling their kids if economic conditions permit. You and your kids are able to do lots more things together and the bond created during this period is something not able to be found elsewhere. Most importantly, you are involved first-hand in the character development of your kid. If you think that enrolling overseas school is naturally supposedly to be much better than in SG, i would say that is a very myopic view. Google more about home schooling and it's benefits and weigh it up vs simply moving overseas and placing your kids in the teachers' hands and you will realise that at this age, there is simply more to what you want for your kid than "not mugging" type of education.

Note: I am only referring to the formative years of a child for home schooling and not post-secondary education.

Regarding emigration, you can try to do that with the correct set of needed skills and apply anytime and to wherever you want. No need to emigrate simply for your kid to get a differnt kind of education, you will end up unhappy somewhere along the line and this will upset your whole family. Choose to emigrate to a country where you truly appreciate the merits of being there, the people, govt policies, culture and even to the weather and terrain of the city.

Regarding question 2: Like you said, you still have 4 years minimum to make the country of choice, plenty you can do to facilitate that move and NS will not be a concern.

Last edited:

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I reply here with strict reference to solely what your thread subject is: Child's education.

If a good, all-round education is what you are searching for your kid, then i would say going overseas is NOT your only choice. The best form of education is home school your kid (for the age your kids are in). Even for kids in the west, not all are able to be home-schooled, but many would prefer home schooling their kids if economic conditions permit. You and your kids are able to do lots more things together and the bond created during this period is something not able to be found elsewhere. Most importantly, you are involved first-hand in the character development of your kid. If you think that enrolling overseas school is naturally supposedly to be much better than in SG, i would say that is a very myopic view. Google more about home schooling and it's benefits and weigh it up vs simply moving overseas and placing your kids in the teachers' hands and you will realise that at this age, there is simply more to what you want for your kid than "not mugging" type of education.

Note: I am only referring to the formative years of a child for home schooling and not post-secondary education.

Regarding emigration, you can try to do that with the correct set of needed skills and apply anytime and to wherever you want. No need to emigrate simply for your kid to get a differnt kind of education, you will end up unhappy somewhere along the line and this will upset your whole family. Choose to emigrate to a country where you truly appreciate the merits of being there, the people, govt policies, culture and even to the weather and terrain of the city.

Regarding question 2: Like you said, you still have 4 years minimum to make the country of choice, plenty you can do to facilitate that move and NS will not be a concern.

I don't think home-schooling is a viable option in sinkapore. In the west, home-schooling is doable and there are lots of facilities to support that.

I believe the quality of education in the West is higher than that in sinkapore. Your kid grows up well rounded. Of course, if you are not engage with your kid, he could end up being a druggie.