• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

advice needed : child's education

bryanlim1972

Alfrescian
Loyal
It is true. However, without the paper, the kid can't go anywhere. And it will be a matter of time, he will end up as a hoodlum. Being ostracised by society for not being able to conform to the education system is not easy for any child to handle. Without supportive parents, the child could easily succumb to despondency and retaliate.

that's a sweeping stereotype answer. there are many ex-pai kias who made it good and are running successful businesses and raising their families.

the common theme for the pai kias who turned good is support from family or friends. to have a mother clean your wounds after a fight, or a da ge to get you out of the gang, that is more important than any handouts from the government

it is society's fault for being so myopic to highlight only the success stories of the academically bright ones. put it this way, i doubt that many SMEs are run by 9 or 10 A1 types.

garlic

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I have a secondary school friend who has two kids, a boy and a girl and she has been home schooling them from day 1 of primary 1. The syllabus can be obtained from MOE and you have to apply to MOE to home school your kids and have MOE approve it. She has been involved (has to) in the educating of her kids. Things like bringing them out to view caterpillars, flowers etc etc... It takes loads of dedication, no doubt. No, she is not rich, lives in a 4-room HDB with only husband working, but they chose to lead a much simpler life with focus on their kids. No annual holidays, no ipads, no maid and the luxury electronics most Sinkies are obsessed with. What they have are two kids who are well-disciplined, polite, does not throw tantrums anyhow, volunteers at their church and even took educational trip to cambodia to appreciate the quality of life they have in SG. These days, well-disciplined and polite kids are a rarity and parents will know what i mean.

I don't think home-schooling is a viable option in sinkapore. In the west, home-schooling is doable and there are lots of facilities to support that.

I believe the quality of education in the West is higher than that in sinkapore. Your kid grows up well rounded. Of course, if you are not engage with your kid, he could end up being a druggie.

Poomer

Alfrescian
Loyal
7.5k per month in rental, your house gotta be worth at least 2-3m.

That said 7.5k should be able to allow two kids to go to sch + living expenses in comfort in all except maybe the top 10 most expensive cities. My advice is let em finish primary sch here, or at 11, to evade NS. Coz i personally feel primary sch education here is still decent, and it gives them a good foundation in math.

catch71

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks for all the input. Still no idea where to go. Will research further... 4 yrs pass quickly.. and considering the time, sure to procastinate :( but i understand there is no perfect place as different folks, different strokes..

home school is not a option...not sure will turn out caustic like the wife or lazy like me?? Or worse, caustic and lazy at the same time?

we were lucky we managed to hitch on the property boom a little... but it was a crazy struggle at that time ..

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I still remember when the term "latch keys" kids emerged in the 70's. Prior to that the norm was that the mother stayed home while the father was the bread winner.
Nowadays the norm is to have both parents work long hours & they can only spend time on weekends. In some homes it's the grand parents who are really bringing up the kids.

Some parents feel guilty about not spending time with their kids and try to compensate by buying them expensive material goods. So it's not surprising we are having "problems"

I have a secondary school friend who has two kids, a boy and a girl and she has been home schooling them from day 1 of primary 1. The syllabus can be obtained from MOE and you have to apply to MOE to home school your kids and have MOE approve it. She has been involved (has to) in the educating of her kids. Things like bringing them out to view caterpillars, flowers etc etc... It takes loads of dedication, no doubt. No, she is not rich, lives in a 4-room HDB with only husband working, but they chose to lead a much simpler life with focus on their kids. No annual holidays, no ipads, no maid and the luxury electronics most Sinkies are obsessed with. What they have are two kids who are well-disciplined, polite, does not throw tantrums anyhow, volunteers at their church and even took educational trip to cambodia to appreciate the quality of life they have in SG. These days, well-disciplined and polite kids are a rarity and parents will know what i mean.