• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

A Singaporean's guide to living in Thailand

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
b1ea811d8420c4fbd44dcdec710c5b86.jpg

Bonut

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro, where is the best place in Pattaya to buy a second hand scooter ? And what docs do I need for the transfer to be in my name ? Me no yellow book.

Pillow

Alfrescian
Loyal
Pillow, Bonut -horrors, I just realised inserting the wrong restaurant link (apologies for boo hoo) last. Goodview is THE place to be (next door to Riverside), alongside the Ping river. Good makan, even with khantoke menu with zoukish crowds on weekends.

http://www.goodview.co.th/2010/about.php

View attachment 39587

Riverside, I've been too but seems to cater more more to farang clientele. Put my money on the iconic Goodview. Been around since 1996
Bro Yinyang

So this goodview restaurant is next to riverside? Any suggestion how to get there? Can get taxi?

We are also thinking of going to Mountain Float(http://www.mountainfloat.net) but is quite expensive. Anyone been there? worth going?

Thank you.

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
View attachment 39606
...this goodview restaurant is next to riverside? Any suggestion how to get there? Can get taxi?
We are also thinking of going to Mountain Float(http://www.mountainfloat.net) but is quite expensive. Anyone been there? worth going?
The Goodview restaurant is very accessible, within city limits and just across the Ping river. As advised earlier:
1) Do Grab or Uber (no hassles with haggling or communication with taxi tuks2)
2) Do book in advance, especially fri-weekends. Crowded then, as popular with locals with Q for walk-ins (got turned away before).

You may wish to get a table next to river (away from the crowded indoor with live music). And do try the platter with northern sausages with variety of dips

images.jpg
image.jpg

Not been to Mountain Float, it's some river/country style resort some 50kms away and doesn't sound cheap either.

Would advise you to catch up on below informative links for Chiang Mai attractions. And skip Doi Ithanon, just the highest peak -nothing special.

Tripadvisor's shortlist, with 3 days trip:

https://www.tripadvisor.com.sg/Attractions-g293917-Activities-Chiang_Mai.html

https://www.tripadvisor.com.sg/Guide-g293917-k1059-Chiang_Mai.html

Miss Tam Chiak's bucket list, more towards sinkie flavour:

https://www.misstamchiak.com/10-things-to-do-in-chiang-mai/

Another independent blog's bucket list:

https://www.mvmtblog.com/2017/05/08/the-perfect-3-day-itinerary-for-chiang-mai/

And if you got time, try the cooking classes:cool:

Walk around the old city (Tapae Gate), and do the Warorot Market (weekends) which opens from 4pm. The Warorot market beats the over-rated night bazaar anytime, with plenty of interesting stuff (it's 2km long)

Last edited:

Bonut

Alfrescian
Loyal
Oh, Chiangmai can Uber ? Bro YY, if you are in CNX now, try Uber to find out the fare from Night Bazaar to tip of Doi Suthep?

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Bro, where is the best place in Pattaya to buy a second hand scooter ? And what docs do I need for the transfer to be in my name ? Me no yellow book.
Buying second hand bikes in Pattaya is like playing Russian roulette. Really heng suay. The biggest one is Mityon ( have many branches in Pattaya). They mainly sell new bikes but some outlets do have second handbikes from trade in by customers.

There are two shops in soi Gor Pai selling second hand bikes. You can try taking a look.

My advice is dont get second hand bike unless you have mechanic background or have a mechanic friend. Price of first hand scooter slightly over 40K baht only. For bike ownership transfer, i think only need copies of passport and certificate of residence( obtained from immigration dept. 300 baht per copy)

My advice is temporary rent a bike first (2k per month) and have a “feel” of riding a motorsai in Pattaya. Some gave up after riding one or two days. No joke. Pattaya is really cowboy town when it comes driving and riding a vehicle.

Edit:
Add gmap second hand motorsai shop in Soi Gor Pai
Dropped Pin
near Soi Thep Prasit 6, Muang Pattaya, Amphoe Bang Lamung, Chang Wat Chon Buri 20150
https://goo.gl/maps/mgQnTbMgZKG2

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Breakfast lunch is Brunch

What is lunch dinner?

One of the best fishmaw in town

CD01FC1B-BDB6-436D-AEEE-3B50967018A2.jpeg

Chicken wings great too

FC5EF10B-E565-4675-B21A-8DDA11080B93.jpeg

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Oh, Chiangmai can Uber ? ... if you are in CNX now, try Uber to find out the fare from Night Bazaar to tip of Doi Suthep?
Yes, I did Uber in CNX last year 100%. Just got to bear with a bit longer waiting times at some places (unlike Sg). Good experience, friendly service and even get milf :wink: drivers too.

No, I'm not in CNX now so can't give you a live quote. But if you are thinking of going to Doi Suthep, there's a more affordable option. Get a red bus (songtaew) and negotiate return trip (if yours is just looksee). Driver will wait for you (pay him 50% only) for return. Did this with a turbo charged one (good for climbing the hilly slopes), for thb400. This was a couple of years back, do perhaps now thb500-600 return? There are also quite a no. songtaews hanging about at Doi Suthep, business what

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Street Language lesson (words you will never get to learn in formal classroom. Not even your tirak, gik, faen or therapist will teach you)

Anyword with Prefix of “Ai” for male and “E” for female means the chinese “Ah” is quite offending. For example, Ai Wan means Ah Pui for male and E Wan for female. Its the chinesr equivalent for “Ah”. For example, we say Ah Siao to means crazy person. Siam kias have male and female version. Male we will used “Ai Baa” and female we will used E “Baa”

Ai and E are normally used among close friends or when looking for fight.

Some vulgar words you get to her every day is
Ai Hia ( means Sia Lan kia or 4 leg snake)
Ai Sat ( means beast)
E Dork/E dork tong (means whore)

Ai and E can also be used with closed friends.

Take note that in Issan language, Ai also means Pi (means elder/older brother). In Thai, Pi is generic which can means either elder brother or elder sister. In Issan, there is a difference, Ai means elder brother or husband. Will talk about Issan elder sister next round.

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Just did an experiment. Frozen prawns right from the fridge, steamed, taste better than those defrozed much earlier. (Only apply to steaming, will try boiling and frying when have time and money. Kns. U all think prawns cheap meh?

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Last evening dinner, 2 big bowls of kuay tiow ruea (10 baht each) plus a packet of deep fried pork skin. Total =30 baht. See how "big" the bowl is compared to my gay phone 7 +.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Last evening dinner, 2 big bowls of kuay tiow ruea (10 baht each) plus a packet of deep fried pork skin. Total =30 baht. See how "big" the bowl is compared to my gay phone 7 +.

You are very lucky this is the sort of shit I have to eat on a daily basis.

IMG_1691.jpg

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Froggy's lost for words on his lunch/dinner. We got distracted by his yum dessert (or was it his main course?) :wink::cool:.
All in the name of therapy, with more than just food for the body :p

Bonut

Alfrescian
Loyal
Buying second hand bikes in Pattaya is like playing Russian roulette. Really heng suay. The biggest one is Mityon ( have many branches in Pattaya). They mainly sell new bikes but some outlets do have second handbikes from trade in by customers.

There are two shops in soi Gor Pai selling second hand bikes. You can try taking a look.

My advice is dont get second hand bike unless you have mechanic background or have a mechanic friend. Price of first hand scooter slightly over 40K baht only. For bike ownership transfer, i think only need copies of passport and certificate of residence( obtained from immigration dept. 300 baht per copy)

My advice is temporary rent a bike first (2k per month) and have a “feel” of riding a motorsai in Pattaya. Some gave up after riding one or two days. No joke. Pattaya is really cowboy town when it comes driving and riding a vehicle.

Edit:
Add gmap second hand motorsai shop in Soi Gor Pai
Dropped Pin
near Soi Thep Prasit 6, Muang Pattaya, Amphoe Bang Lamung, Chang Wat Chon Buri 20150
https://goo.gl/maps/mgQnTbMgZKG2
Your Soi Gor Pai sibei deep in, no motorbike cannot go in. If I can go in, no need to buy motorbike liao o_Oo_O:rolleyes:

I have ridden motorsai in Pattaya, but never along the main road except up and down Thappraya. One main reasons to ride is to avoid the Soi dogs as I have been bitten before. :eek::mad: The hotel staff was nice and came out to nurse my injury, and even got the driver to fetch me to a nearby clinic for jabs. Ever since then, they offered me free motorsai rental whenever I stayed in the hotel.

Last edited:

Bonut

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes, I did Uber in CNX last year 100%. Just got to bear with a bit longer waiting times at some places (unlike Sg). Good experience, friendly service and even get milf :wink: drivers too.

No, I'm not in CNX now so can't give you a live quote. But if you are thinking of going to Doi Suthep, there's a more affordable option. Get a red bus (songtaew) and negotiate return trip (if yours is just looksee). Driver will wait for you (pay him 50% only) for return. Did this with a turbo charged one (good for climbing the hilly slopes), for thb400. This was a couple of years back, do perhaps now thb500-600 return? There are also quite a no. songtaews hanging about at Doi Suthep, business what

I did a Uber search using my phone in SGP, from Doi Suthep to Imperial Mae Ping. UberX costs 490 baht.

I did another one, from hotel in Makkasan, Petchaburi MRT station to Thappraya in Pattaya, nabeh more expensive than ordinary taxi - 2,486 baht.

Bonut

Alfrescian
Loyal
Froggy's lost for words on his lunch/dinner. We got distracted by his yum dessert (or was it his main course?) :wink::cool:.
All in the name of therapy, with more than just food for the body :p
I wonder why his private therapist who follows him to makan big feasts round the globe never put on weight.:confused::cool:

Last edited:

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
...did another one, from hotel in Makkasan, Petchaburi MRT station to Thappraya in Pattaya, nabeh more expensive than ordinary taxi - 2,486 baht.
Uber is not geared for inter-city commute (unless you got a separate arrangement). Just like one Uber guy in Sg cutting deals to drive tourists to Malacca for circa S$300-400 (1 way).

Regular taxi Krungthep to Patts is circa thb1500 (+tolls). As posted previously, private limo is thb1k (ex Swampy) or thb1200-1300 from downtown Bkk -including tolls. Return is cheaper for both taxi and limo (thb900 to Swampy). PT Taxi based in Patts (2nd road?), can call, Line, Whatsapp, email. Used it for some years now.

http://www.pttaxiservice.com/