• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

A Singaporean's guide to living in Thailand

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
More conflicting updates on the floods from different agencies at different levels. Advice is stay away from affected areas especially the provinces north of BKK. Took these photos myself.

This is a canal and at water gate is in the middle of the pic. This pic was taken a day ago.

same place but earlier. see the difference in water level.

rectmobile

Alfrescian
Loyal
If anyone really want to eat good chicken rice, look for those shop displaying "Gai Torn". Those that display "Khao Man Gai" can forget about it. I look also don't look.

This my number 1. (In Ayuthaya)

This my number 2. (In Pattaya North)

Both shops are Hainanese style (Sator Hai Lam)

Personally, i still prefer sg's chicken rice. Thailand's chicken rice taste is no where near sg's standard. I had a western friend who travel between sg and bangkok. He told me that after he had tried sg's Tian Tian chicken rice, he don't fancy Thailand ones anymore like he used to.

cb52acbc38982_566x424_fillbg_93d501e53d.jpg

rectmobile

Alfrescian
Loyal
Which accounts for froggy's nihon escape? o_O:wink:

Bride-to-be in Prachin Buri considers civil lawsuit against runaway groom

Breaking News October 23, 2017 14:37
By The Nation
View attachment 32543

The family of a would-be bride is considering a civil lawsuit against the runaway groom for the cost of preparations for the wedding reception.

The bride, 24, whose name was withheld, waited in vain for her affianced, Boonyoung, 26, whose surname was withheld, at the wedding ceremony on Sunday.

The groom later called to say he had not been able to raise Bt200,000 in cash and five baht in gold for the dowry in time.

The wedding ceremony was planned at the bride’s house in Tambon Yanree in Kabin Buri district, Prachin Buri province.

The bridge’s aunt, who was referred to only as “Bee”, said the bride had filed a complaint with police, who suggested the family file a civil lawsuit for the cost of the wedding preparations instead.

Bee said the family might appoint a lawyer to demand compensation of Bt100,000. She said the bride’s family had hired a caterer to serve a Chinese-style lunch for 40 tables, which cost Bt2,200 per table, printed invitations for 200 guests, and incurred various other expenses.

Bee said her niece had been in a relationship with Boonyong for six years before she agreed to marry him. She also had quit her job a Samut Prakan factory and planned to work abroad with him, the aunt added.

The bride returned to her rented room in Samut Prakan on Monday to pack her belongings to return to Prachin Buri. She also planned to return her rented wedding dress.

Bee said the family of the groom had sent her an SMS telling her not to file a complaint with police or file a lawsuit, while threatening that the groom would accuse her niece of having a relationship with another man.

“This further hurt our feelings, so my niece will never go back to him,” Bee said.

The "demand to have face" problem in Thai marriage. This unnecessary problem can be easily avoided if not for the Face Value.

Last edited:

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
73d8dfe02c3d90f09dbd8f02f32e04a0.jpg

Floods still a problem in 17 provinces

national October 29, 2017 01:00

By The Nation

MORE THAN 112,800 families in 17 provinces are still affected by floods, the director-general of the Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Department, Chayapol Thitisak, said yesterday.

Faster draining of floodwaters will require government agencies to cooperate, Chayapol told a press conference. The death toll stands at 10 so far, he said, and 20 families had to be evacuated from their flooded homes. He said 23 provinces were flooded under the influence of a low-pressure system and monsoon conditions, with the Chao Phraya River overflowing from October 10 to 28.

The department’s latest survey found 125,347 families in 2,785 villages and 42 communities from 473 tambons in 78 districts of the 17 provinces were still affected by flooding. The director general said the affected provinces were grouped by river basins as follows: Yom River basin -– Sukhothai; Nan River basin – Phichit; Chao Phraya River basin – Nakhon Sawan, Uthai Thani, Sing Buri, Lop Buri, Ayutthaya, Ang Thong and Pathum Thani; Tha Chin River basin – Chainat and Suphan Buri; Chi River basin – Nong Bua Lamphu, Khon Kaen, Mahasarakham, Kalasin and Roi Et; Mool River basin – Ubon Ratchathani. The Royal Irrigation Department, meanwhile, reiterated that it would not increases the release of excessive water from the Chao Phraya Dam in Chai Nat, the key run-off dam regulating water flows in the Chao Phraya Basin.

Thongplew Kongchan, the RID’s deputy chief, said as of yesterday, the river flow upstream of the dam in Nakhon Sawan was 2,910 cubic metres per second, resulting in the water discharge from the dam remaining stable at around 2,600 cubic metres per second.

Water discharges to designated water-retention areas on the western and eastern side of the river were decreased as well.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Back to home from Hokkaido at 5pm and 7pm off to Japanese restaurant :smile:

Thonglor Japanese Village, Nagiya restaurant

Street
pcLxHzb.jpg

The restaurant
CDLMOyo.jpg

Level 1
j5QWuuE.jpg

Bar
tCmOC65.jpg

ZouUfYh.jpg

iyQJhGs.jpg

From level 2
QkiTAo8.jpg

W33BmTY.jpg

START
EwMW33L.jpg

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Tyrf1bW.jpg

laGPijf.jpg

Lightly pickled cucumber
Otf0QXu.jpg

Chicken wings and minced chicken
kRiFNEV.jpg

Shiok
TI3cQJF.jpg

Uni
wrOtC6I.jpg

Sashimi shrimps
8Y6lQv2.jpg

ritQ50X.jpg

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This was a charming and rustic kopitiam, Ru Rueng at Petchaburi city (100km south west Bkk). All traditional wood, lovingly re-constructed from the original somewhere else. Note the old coke fridge, tiffin carriers

IMG_1233.JPG

IMG_1235.JPG

Last edited:

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Vermicelli salad (dynamite spicy!)

IMG_1226.JPG

Companion's fave fish floss dish (tongue twisted to pronounce thai name)
IMG_1219.JPG

The more conventional version

IMG_1228 2.JPG

Can't stay away from my bak mee hang (closest to tah mee)

IMG_1240.JPG

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
555 that "fish floss dish" is call "Yam Pla Dook Fuu" which direct translate means "Crispy Catfish Salad". Yup, this is the only catfish dish I eat.

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
43bf5ad3bb0545b3af2995acf695a59a.jpg
1441270002-1199431895-o.jpg

Here have 2 main type of Khao Gaeng (Curry rice or Zhap Chai Png).

1. Khao Gaeng - The regular Zhap Cai Png Curry stalls. Need to introduction.
2. Khao Gaeng Pak Tai - Southern Thailand Zhap Cai Png stalls. (Usually, the store will have a Indonesia style Puppet logo at the signboard to indicate this is Southern version)
Although there are many common dishes, I still prefer the Southern Thai version as I prefer more spicy taste. Another signature dish that all Southern Thai Rice stall have is Pad Sa Tor (Pronunce as "Park Store") which we call Chao Tao (Stinky beans). Last few years very popular here in Pattaya.

Forgot to mention, Gaeng Pak Tai is not halal hor.

Attachments

• 43bf5ad3bb0545b3af2995acf695a59a.jpg
    43bf5ad3bb0545b3af2995acf695a59a.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 104

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Talking about chicken rice had Boon Tong Kee at Central Festival Eastville Mall yesterday

Chicken I have to say is the best in Thailand so, chunky and juicy
IMG_20171029_111518.jpg

Rice and the sauces also pretty good
IMG_20171029_111537.jpg

Kangkong, not bad but could improve on more balacan nd spicier
IMG_20171029_112058.jpg

Taugay with deep fried fish skin was a waste could have added salted fish instead but the taugay was perfectly done just nice.
IMG_20171029_111654.jpg

The minced meat with salted fish need more salted fish would hardly taste the salted fish
IMG_20171029_113000.jpg

This one is a big - stir fry pork liver. Strange that the liver was coated with flour so it really did not look like liver nor taste like it
IMG_20171029_112326.jpg

Anyway can come here to get your chicken rice fix but nothing. Have tried their bitter gourd soup this one can order it's very good.

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Wah. This one look good. Will try when I go BKK on next visit.

Talking about chicken rice had Boon Tong Kee at Central Festival Eastville Mall yesterday

Chicken I have to say is the best in Thailand so, chunky and juicy
View attachment 32717

Rice and the sauces also pretty good
View attachment 32718

Kangkong, not bad but could improve on more balacan nd spicier
View attachment 32721

Taugay with deep fried fish skin was a waste could have added salted fish instead but the taugay was perfectly done just nice.
View attachment 32719

The minced meat with salted fish need more salted fish would hardly taste the salted fish
View attachment 32720

This one is a big - stir fry pork liver. Strange that the liver was coated with flour so it really did not look like liver nor taste like it
View attachment 32722

Anyway can come here to get your chicken rice fix but nothing. Have tried their bitter gourd soup this one can order it's very good.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
One thing I like about Foodland Supermarket's restaurant Took Lae Dee is you can actually tell them what you like and they will cook for you out of their regular menu.

This morning feeling rather sick need a hot beehoon soup so I told them what I want and I got it nice and delicious, beehoon soup with prawns and minced pork but then it doesn't come cheap, at 104 baht or $4.

hWnISvm.jpg

the kitchen

bfmK5Mr.jpg

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yup, foodland staff will cook ala carte outside the standard menu but quite expensive. Three dishes I order outside the standard foodland menu are Khom Tom Pla/Goong (Fish/Prawn porridge), Macaroni Gai Nam Sai (Macaroni chicken soup) and Khanom Pang Na Moo (Fried bread top with minced pork) . As long as the ingredients are available and not too difficult to prepare, they will cook.

One thing I like about Foodland Supermarket's restaurant Took Lae Dee is you can actually tell them what you like and they will cook for you out of their regular menu.

This morning feeling rather sick need a hot beehoon soup so I told them what I want and I got it nice and delicious, beehoon soup with prawns and minced pork but then it doesn't come cheap, at 104 baht or $4.

hWnISvm.jpg

the kitchen

bfmK5Mr.jpg