• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

A Singaporean's guide to living in Thailand

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Oh no the Starbucks is me and a colleague
no more starfucks for me. besides ocassional trips to philz coffee i brew my own the turkish way. either ethiopian or kenyan medium roast whole beans are great. have a good fine grinder and grind beans to fine powder (grinding well is 69% of the flavor). brew with cloth or paper filter and almost purified water with a funnel and let it drip. if i have time will use the expresso machine. instead of adding milk or half and half, add full cream. 69 cents per cup. plus colleague will be impressed with your technique and part of kitchen dedicated for good wholesome coffee. can look into the backyard and enjoy the beauty of autumn. shiok.

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Starbucks here is really expensive...Will never go again, Cafe Amazon is better yet cheaper.
Diff tier. Imho, Amazon kopi sucks as watered down. I avoid them at PTT gas stations, Inthanin is better. Best is still Doi Chiang and Wawee (northern chains). The strongest is BangRie (very few places), cannot even tahan the klang (medium) version

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Breakfast now at Silom Soi 11

IMG_20171015_094046.jpg

IMG_20171015_094102.jpg

1508036350963788753307.jpg

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Diff tier. Imho, Amazon kopi sucks as watered down. I avoid them at PTT gas stations, Inthanin is better. Best is still Doi Chiang and Wawee (northern chains). The strongest is BangRie (very few places), cannot even tahan the klang (medium) version

Best is still our sinkie kopitiam coffee and in Thailand not easy to find as most use Nescafe even if found can be $1 or 25 baht which one could almost get a meal.

Got meself once of this yet to open up and use but I tried at the shop its not bad at all

rectmobile

Alfrescian
Loyal

The article put the blame of their sugar problems only on soft drinks , coffee and green tea drinks. It is not the whole picture. They just do not put their (Thai) cultural cooking habits into the whole picture.

All their stir fries( street food, mall and even home cook) are added sugar as one of their standard flavour enhancers. If there is not enough, it will be added to their dish as one of the condiments.

Their culture of adding sugars is the real problem, not only sugared drinks.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
The article put the blame of their sugar problems only on soft drinks , coffee and green tea drinks. It is not the whole picture. They just do not put their (Thai) cultural cooking habits into the whole picture.

All their stir fries( street food, mall and even home cook) are added sugar as one of their standard flavour enhancers. If there is not enough, it will be added to their dish as one of the condiments.

Their culture of adding sugars is the real problem, not only sugared drinks.

The article simply blame it on their love for sweetness that’s it

rectmobile

Alfrescian
Loyal
The article simply blame it on their love for sweetness that’s it

According to the survey, most Thais get their sugar from beverages such as soft drinks (9 teaspoons per serving), green tea (13 teaspoons), coffee (10 teaspoons), said Dr. Sutha Jiaramaneechotechai, deputy director of the Health Department.

The deputy director-general of the Department of Health Dr Sutha Jienmaneechotchai stated that the Department was considering a proposal to control green tea and carbonated drinks which have high sugar content because it is detrimental to health.

Nope. That is not what i read.

This is their convenient way of saying where they get their most of their sugar-intake from.

Nothing wrong with the Thai cooking culture of adding sugar in 90% of their dishes, 3 or 4 meals a day? I have to order the chef not to put any sugar on my food orders everytime.

If there is any Thai habits / culture/ style which cause their prevailing problems, it will be pushed aside or laugh it off. I tend to notice this Thai attitude a lot. The Thais cannot stomach this type of Hard Truth.

I wonder how they are going to solve their sugar-related health problem with such an attitude.

Last edited:

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset

This is their convenient way of saying where they get their most of their sugar-intake from.

Nothing wrong with the Thai cooking culture of adding sugar in 90% of their dishes, 3 or 4 meals a day? I have to order the chef not to put any sugar on my food orders everytime.

If there is any Thai habits / culture/ style which cause their prevailing problems, it will be pushed aside or laugh it off. I tend to notice this Thai attitude a lot. The Thais cannot stomach this type of Hard Truth.

I wonder how they are going to solve their sugar-related health problem with such an attitude.

Seems they cannot live without sugar. Like you whenever I order any food especially from their tzechar stalls or any restaurants I'll specifically tell them no sugar. You see even their curries are sweet and thats the flavour they like. I've cooked for my Thai friends our style of curry they will ask me for sugar, I at first felt not happy but then its just them their preference of their habit.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Very light traffic is that normal for a Sunday morning?

Yes even in Rama 4 and Silom, Sundays and long holidays are always like this in Bangkok which is why days like Songkrang and New Year are the best time in Bangkok. But around Siam Paragon area is a different story forever heavy traffic.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Yes even in Rama 4 and Silom, Sundays and long holidays are always like this in Bangkok which is why days like Songkrang and New Year are the best time in Bangkok.

I wish I could visit again but at the moment by dog is having chronic back problems and we don't have the heart to leave him at the kennels because the carers there won't notice his distress when he's having a bad day.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
I wish I could visit again but at the moment by dog is having chronic back problems and we don't have the heart to leave him at the kennels because the carers there won't notice his distress when he's having a bad day.

Poor dog. You're very kind.

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Thai kopi is mainly nescafe as froggy mentioned.

Where I stay, most coffee beverages are sold on motorcycles stalls. There are 2 options:
1. Ka Fae Thammada (means normal coffee and is 99% nescafe instant coffee)
2. Ka fae Boran (means traditional coffee using coffee bags and stainless steel container) not all shops have this option.

For most small eating outlets , most shops will sell "O liang" which means ice black coffee.
Nothing impressive about Thai kopi. SG hainanese kopi o still da best.

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yup. Even myself, also converted. Stayed long enough to pick up this bad habit.
So bad that during my last trip to SG, felt so tasteless without the "krueang proong" when having food at HC. Feel like meal is incomplete.

Krueang Proong is the set of condiments commonly see at Thai food stalls. Consist of Sugar, dried chilli powder, pickled chilli in white vinegar and another very important one, NAM PLA aka fish sauce. Nam Pla is another one that Thais cannot live without.