• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

A Singaporean's guide to living in Thailand

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
The inventor of red bull is from thailand isn't he?

Is he a multi billionaire or millionaire? Did you guys read about the news where his son i think killed a policeman by ramming into him with his car? Think he got arrested and jailed and didn't accept any bribes.

Yes founder is Thai in Thailand. Company name in Thai is Krating Daeng, same meaning. It was the grand son not the son. Founder very old and passed away I think early last year.

rotikosong

Alfrescian
Loyal
hey when will you be passing by Bangkok? I'll be leaving for Jakarta tomorrow morning, spend weekend in sinkieland then back to Jakarta. Ill be back to Bangkok only overnight next Thursday and Friday will be off to Shanghai for a week. Hope to catch you when you here, lets go to the new place I just found.

Pai seh, looks like I will just miss you. Heading back. Will catch you time next bro.

rotikosong

Alfrescian
Loyal
Heading back to Chiang Rai airport. Police checkpoints on the way
C1EA4106-0978-4063-9359-F256DBAD0FA6-4062-000005893C615389.jpg

Don't need to go all the way to Chiang Rai bus station of you're going to the airport and don't have lots of luggage. This saves you time and cost. Tell driver to stop under the overhead crossing before/near airport (there's only one overhead-they'll know) as there are motosais waiting there to take you to airport. Motosai is 50B-60B and airport is max. 10 minutes away. Motosai can transport luggage as well (within reason e.g. carryon rollaboard)
DA9BFAFD-17E5-4598-A13B-9B60025E2FA3-4062-0000058943E72C29.jpg

On the way back, saw a SQ A-380 (not in CEI lah). First time for me.
18D4E91C-CE8C-4936-8917-FBE907CEF941-4062-0000058CFC7CA126.jpg

rotikosong

Alfrescian
Loyal
For us that don't drive in BKK, knowing all the transportation options sometimes helps you get around faster.

There's the Airport Link, MRT, BTS, Taximeter and Tuk Tuk. Some also take the motosais at the pak sois.

Other not so common modes would be the khlong water taxi (San Saep) which has East and West routes with the interchange at Pratunam.
Another would be the Chao Phraya water boats.

Yet another option are buses. There are songthaews even in BKK. The ones that are somewhat obtuse are the rot tus (vans) that go from point to point e.g. you can take a rot tu that goes from Silom to the Mall Ngamwongwan.

Some of these options have been integrated into Google Maps for at least the last 2 years now.

Here's a pic of a transit option less commonly known to visitors - the State Railway of Thailand (SRT) trains. Pic shows office commuters in the morning taking the train to work.
DD8A8390-AC12-4071-8207-0DCAB6F0C6A9-4062-000005898043B713.jpg

There sometimes are stations and sometimes it's just a simple stop at the side of the tracks.
41432140-30B6-49F7-B4FE-9ACADB5D1C5A-4062-000005898BF56A21.jpg

You can take the SRT from Don Muang airport, for example, south all the way to Hua Lamphong station.

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
ice come liaoz.

20130116_172932.jpg

most important stuff also arrived.

20130116_172849.jpg

the putting of beer in the fridge is exclusively my job. whoever fight with me for this job will be sack! :p

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
first staff turn up for work today but nothing much to do beside area cleaning
contractors finishing up. need the custom made bar counter to be in first before i can set up the bar.

Jlokta

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
morning guys, yesterday really pong chek. one of the rare nights i didnt touch a single drop of alchohol. :p

hehehe. tiger beer not popular here. will stock up a little but not much.

wah wah, that means only one thing..

today will drink more lah. :biggrin:

but hey, sometimes a good rest is very important.

Take care bro, and yes don't have to stock too much Tiger beer. Machiam atas farang joint, stock some and markup high high. :biggrin:

sinkiesnotdumb

Alfrescian
Loyal
morning guys, yesterday really pong chek. one of the rare nights i didnt touch a single drop of alchohol. :p

Bro Chonburifc congratulations to you on your new venture. Even I don't know you I am very excited for you now that you have everything in place except for that baker. Also thank you for your kind and encouraging words to me so far.

Can I say something from my observation about you, I know that you enjoy life and take things easy with all those posts of the bars, makan and drinking like the other guy here joeyt but lately you have been so busy to do useful work for yourself and your new business, like yesterday you no time and too tired to drink. I like to suggest for your health maybe you need to find more work and new ventures to keep you busy and away from frequent alcohol. Sorry I so busy body and I hope I did not just jeopardized my chance to seek employment with you in future.

Lastly bro chonburifc is it possible for you to PM to me your opening date and location, I would like to send a gift to congratulate you for your official opening.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Sawasdee krup everyone. Reporting from Jakarta. It's raining season now (Dec-Apr). Its raining almost everyday and the rain could be very heavy and long.

Flooding has been reported almost everywhere in Jakarta with some poorer places 4m under water. I was told that Jakarta could actually cope with rains in the capital city however it is outside the city that is draining their excess rain water through Jakarta as Jakarta is by the sea, this water from outside the city is causing all the floods with a few rivers bursting their banks last week.

Here's a dull video of how it looks outside my apartment taken 10 mins ago.

[video=youtube;NAveSNppPJI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAveSNppPJI[/video]

panzer

Alfrescian
Loyal
hehehe. tiger beer not popular here. will stock up a little but not much.

Interestingly, beer Chang going for $10.90 for 6-pack in NTUC compared to $13+ for 6-pack Tiger... It takes me 1 week + to get through 6 cans as I am not really a drinker though have attended beer/wine/cocktail appreciation classes when I had more hair on my head...kekek...

After trying both, still find Tiger nicer partly because brewed in Tuas so fresher. But Beer Chang is cheaper so just drink for fun.

Last edited:

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Sawasdee krup, I'm back to my apartment. Went to the basement to drive to work, at the gate security refused to allow any cars to leave explaining that just 1km away was hit by flood between knee and waist level. Told us to go home wait and see till afternoon. I didn't believe him but better to be safe than sorry.

Now I believe him, just look out my window saw downstairs condo BBQ area all flooded.

null-533.jpg

Office staff reported back now said they are not far from office but just cannot get through the normal way as its all flooded. We told them all to go home and wait, they told us now they could not even return so will try to wiggle their way to office by other ways.