• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

A gracious Singapore? Not in my lifetime: MM

Watchman

Alfrescian
Loyal
A gracious Singapore? Not in my lifetime: MM

Li Xueying
Wed, Jan 09, 2008
The Straits Times
20080910.151501_lkyasiaone2.jpg

20080109.180715_20080109-myp-gracioussg.jpg

By Li Xueying

<---http://news.asiaone.com/News/AsiaOne%2BNews/Singapore/Story/A1Story20080910-86947.html
<---http://www.asiaone.com/News/AsiaOne+News/Singapore/Story/A1Story20080108-44157.html

Environmental consciousness among Singaporeans will come about very quickly when they realise how they will be in trouble when changes in the climate take place.

But attaining a gracious society will take more time, said Minister Mentor Lee Kuan Yew on Monday at a dialogue marking the 40th anniversary of the Institute of Southeast Asian Studies
(Iseas).

In fact, he believes it will not happen in his lifetime.

"I will not see it, maybe you will live long enough to see it; I wish you well," he told 48-year-old economics academic Euston Quah to laughter from the audience of diplomats, academics and government leaders.

Dr Quah had asked a question about Singapore's progress in terms of social graces and environmental consciousness just as the country succeeds economically.

The issue he raised was among a host of subjects brought up by the audience, from the situation in Myanmar to the rise of China and India.

In his reply, Mr Lee said a gracious society will not happen so fast. "I think it will take more time to develop and mature culturally as a people."

Even the British, he said, were "sitting at a very high level over an empire for nearly 150 years before they developed their culture and then being invaded by football hooligans and foreigners who are now joining them and coarsening their society".

"So it's very difficult to get a rough society onto a cultivated plane and it's very easy to bring it down," he concluded.

Environmental consciousness, on the other hand, will come very quickly "when something happens and they say, you do that, your whole environment changes and you are in trouble".

On the other hand, the idea of a gracious society - "where people are considerate to one another, where you don't make more noise to upset your neighbour than you need to, where you tell the other motorist, please have the right of way" - was "harder to come by", said Mr Lee.

"It will take time, but I hope it will come with cultivated living over a long period of time."

Mr Lee recalled how, 45 years ago, Singaporeans wanted to take their chickens with them when they were resettled from kampungs into high-rise flats.

"So it took some time to get them adjusted. A more cultivated way of life takes a very long time," he said.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Haha MM is great joker. Since his life is only a few more years, for sure a gracious singapore will not be in his lifetime. They have had 50 years to create a gracious singapore and have not succeeded. Why? When the leadership and the PAP are themselves not gracious, they cannot lead by example and hence there is little to no graciousness in S'pore. No need to talk cock about kampung chicken and what not. Its as simple as that.

Royalblood

Alfrescian
Loyal
wahhh lau this one is like old news sia....

Anyways, such a sweeping statement (yet again) coming from this multi-million dollars decorative item. He talks as if he interacts with the general Singaporeans everyday. I wonder how many eons has it been since he last left the comfort of his ivory tower!?

Watchman

Alfrescian
Loyal
When the leadership and the PAP are
themselves not gracious, they cannot lead by
example and hence there is little to no graciousness in S'pore.

Yes :smile: The sad truth is that when in the name
of profit you displace people's lifestyle with cheaper labour from overseas .
People will surely feel the pressure mounting on them and
they will react either with violence or indifference .

Watchman

Alfrescian
Loyal
wahhh lau this one is like old news sia....

Anyways, such a sweeping statement (yet again) coming from this multi-million dollars decorative item. He talks as if he interacts with the general Singaporeans everyday. I wonder how many eons has it been since he last left the comfort of his ivory tower!?

Yes :smile: I know it's old news.
But I will like to take this chance to document his mighty high handed words .
And perhaps answer them as close as possible like a layman .

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Yes :smile: The sad truth is that when in the name
of profit you displace people's lifestyle with cheaper labour from overseas .
People will surely feel the pressure mounting on them and
they will react either with violence or indifference .

I am more talking about the lawsuits over everything supposedly defamatory. The PAP are very petty and hence the people have also become like that. When people see the poor and old not treated with respect or care by the govt. they can see there is no graciousness. U even have confirmed case of Gay Loong slapping another minister during a cabinet meeting, and than being made to apologise instead of volunteering to do so. That is graciousness? The fact is Old Goat cannot even inculcate graciousness in his own son, how to do it for a country?

Watchman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Lawsuits like defamatory are the simplest way out of not addressing issues .

Lawsuits should be outlaw in the lands of Singapore and kangaroo courts of Singapore .

Government are expected to facilitate the maximum potential of it's people ,

or rather one day I like you to be administrators and nothing else .

Not created to establish their strangle-hold to feed
their friends and associates and ultimately killing the
will of it's people with your authoritarian policies

Angelo

Alfrescian
Loyal
old despot talking crap again.

people like him born in this world, know only how to take, what doesn't belong to him. Don't know the meaning of give and return, don't have a sense of shame and decency

animal in human clothing.

at least after this creature died, we got at least 1 free public holiday in the calendar.

:biggrin:

pc2009

Alfrescian
Loyal
He told the truth. Only after he dies will things start to change. Right now, even his son dares not change his daddy's failed policies and ideas.

hitower

Alfrescian
Loyal
Old Fark himself is not gracious, expect the country men to be gracious. :oIo::oIo::oIo:

Don't expect a gracious country as long as he is still in power....
:oIo::oIo::oIo:

Watchman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Brothers SGPlians really not gracious you have to lived overseas
in some angmo countries to really experience the difference!

Trust me their ang mo countries are no better than ours .

They got the exactly the same problem which the
elites brought unto everyone .

Except it occur at a wider and more severe spectrum .

We are considered tolerable level .

wizard

Alfrescian
Loyal
There was a canival in jurong ( army something or what ever ). There was a big jammed as the RCs or grassroots reserve some lots for the PAP MPs. The pavement was also crowded with people.

I was walking pass it when there was some commotion in front and it happen to come towards my direction. Next thing I knew, a few RCs or grassroots was pushing and shoving the people to make way for the MPs to walk. I was push to the side. Suddenly the Mps stretch our his hand to indicate that he wish to shake hand with the people. One of the grassroots hold my arm and and shoved me toward the MPs to shake his hand. I push him away and walk the other direction as I really dun want to join the circus.

LKY, start with yourself and PAP before you want sinkies to be gracious..

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
Everyone can agree that the people of Japan today are very gracious, no?

It's been only 65 years since WW2 ended. Before that, they were rough, fierce (fiercely loyal to their Emperor too), murderous, capable of unimaginable atrocities.

But today, they have come a long way, altho the men are known to be fetishist in BSDM and become pedophiles towards little girls and adults if dressed in school uniforms. But at least they're making love, not war, and becoming more gracious outside the bedrooms.

Aren't they also of Asian stock? Buddhist Shinto in religion, Confucianist philosophy?

They even have 5 PMs in 5 years whereas S'pore had a same PM for 40 years!

Maybe that's the trouble!?

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
The whole world has been treating and exploiting women as sex objects and sex slaves. So we are equal there or at least we start from the sme start line. It's not unique to the Jap gene but common in the human gene.

Recall yr days when you read Playboy in yr toilet?

Women are either treated and exploited as sex objects or slaves and maid for the salaryman where is the grace in that?

They have no respect for women!

Watchman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why don't women start to do something different and make men their sex toys !

Women will be manipulated forever due to their grey matter .

Somehow there is a ceiling for them.

Just like they like to complain that sometimes their salary hits ceiling .

Of course there are exceptions . The exceptions are few and far apart.

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yr logic :

Lust = sin;
sin = death;
So lust = death.

But if there is no lust, there will be no propagation. Propagation is life. So Lust is life!

Lust= propagation;
propagation=life
So Lust=life.

Lust is a sin! The wages of sin is death!

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Women are either treated and exploited as sex objects or slaves and maid for the salaryman where is the grace in that?

They have no respect for women!

Not like in Spore where women can hide behind the Womens Charter. They have every right to choose to SPGs & complain about Spore men :rolleyes: