• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

50+ and jobless

fishbuff

Alfrescian
Loyal
one of my friends in SG was fired from his job as a process auditor from the SME. The boss was trying to get rid of him by making his life miserable but he endured all these for the sake of his family. The final straw came when the the company retrenched its staffs quoting "economic downturn".

anyway, he has been sitting at home for the past few months, wallowing in self-pity and depressed. i believe he is just one of the typical 50+ years old chap that is facing the challenges of keen employment competition and rising living costs in SG. another chap, 50+, was a mainframe developer, retrenched from one of the big shopping outlet, couldnt find another job and resort to delivery services, then finally found a small technician job at some schools.

The plight of these friends of mine that are still in SG is a wake up call for all. plan for your future and dont let the govt media blind u. my friends previously exclaimed how PAP is a critical factor in bringing prosperity to SG but i dont think i will hear similar remarks from them anymore.

cass888

Alfrescian
Loyal
another chap, 50+, was a mainframe developer, retrenched from one of the big shopping outlet, couldnt find another job and resort to delivery services, then finally found a small technician job at some schools.

My gawd ... a MAINFRAME DEVELOPER, what do you expect? You think anyone can make a living assembling Apple IIe?

no_faith

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
im very worried in 50+ i might in the same situation like ur frenz.
very scary shit. no joke.

if still young in age still can find other jobs but kana retrench at tat age, damn jia lat sia.:(

really have to plan ur own future, not even govt can plan for u.

AdChiosk

Alfrescian
Loyal
My gawd ... a MAINFRAME DEVELOPER, what do you expect? You think anyone can make a living assembling Apple IIe?

Nothing wrong with being a mainframe developer, in fact it's a plus. I too, was a mainframe developer and had hit 50. Problem is, you must always had a foot running with the new.

Now I am on my own and making software for the new media.:wink:

lancerglxi

Alfrescian
Loyal
one of my friends in SG was fired from his job as a process auditor from the SME. The boss was trying to get rid of him by making his life miserable but he endured all these for the sake of his family. The final straw came when the the company retrenched its staffs quoting "economic downturn".

anyway, he has been sitting at home for the past few months, wallowing in self-pity and depressed. i believe he is just one of the typical 50+ years old chap that is facing the challenges of keen employment competition and rising living costs in SG. another chap, 50+, was a mainframe developer, retrenched from one of the big shopping outlet, couldnt find another job and resort to delivery services, then finally found a small technician job at some schools.

The plight of these friends of mine that are still in SG is a wake up call for all. plan for your future and dont let the govt media blind u. my friends previously exclaimed how PAP is a critical factor in bringing prosperity to SG but i dont think i will hear similar remarks from them anymore.

This is what happens when they keep voting for PAP and for their policy of practically no protection for labour.

popdod

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thatz why many join the taxi industry....
and
some of them cannot think straight ...choose a shorter route to heaven.

:( :eek: :(

Randee_Candee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yeah....SG is trying to tell u 2 get rdy enuff cash and get the hell out of here!!:p

I wud too, sell the hse, blow the credit cards, take a super loan n jus disappear fm SG

eeoror88

Alfrescian
Loyal
This is what happens when they keep voting for PAP and for their policy of practically no protection for labour.

If this is the case, why don't you work as a construction worker, or worse still a shipyard worker ??

Whine and pine like a street whore !!

snrcitizen

Alfrescian
Loyal
my friends previously exclaimed how PAP is a critical factor in bringing prosperity to SG but i dont think i will hear similar remarks from them anymore.

Perhaps you should sit down with them and talk to them about what really is the PAP doing to people like them and the rest of Singaporeans. In other owrds, prepare them for the next elections. An opportunity should not be lost.

popdod

Alfrescian
Loyal
Perhaps you should sit down with them and talk to them about what really is the PAP doing to people like them and the rest of Singaporeans.
In other owrds, prepare them for the next elections. An opportunity should not be lost.

Will that help their scenerio?

I think those jobless are more worried whether got bread to eat, got roof to shelter for their kids....rather than who wins the election.

If wanna convey the change....start with the youngsters.

:p :( :p

myfoot123

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Perhaps you should sit down with them and talk to them about what really is the PAP doing to people like them and the rest of Singaporeans. In other owrds, prepare them for the next elections. An opportunity should not be lost.

I agree, if opposition win the next election, those unemployed will be given a job to work in the opposition camp. These are professionals and might come in handy when opposition needs strong administrative and backroom staff to lay strong foundations. Opposition will be their saviour, and such gratitude will not be forgotten.

Kid278

Alfrescian
Loyal

Yo....couldnt have said it any better.:p No one will be left behind, they say and people believe it.:o

Cheers.:biggrin:

snrcitizen

Alfrescian
Loyal
Will that help their scenerio?

I think those jobless are more worried whether got bread to eat, got roof to shelter for their kids....rather than who wins the election.

If wanna convey the change....start with the youngsters.

:p :( :p

Well, I always believe in bringing out the rational side of the person when the person is at his moment of need.

TS has already mentioned when they had a job and everything was nice and cushy, they sang praises of the PAP. Now that they have lost their jobs, is it not the best time to wake them up?

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Nothing wrong with being a mainframe developer, in fact it's a plus. I too, was a mainframe developer and had hit 50. Problem is, you must always had a foot running with the new.

Now I am on my own and making software for the new media.:wink:

Good for you. This is one way of being unsinkified.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Thatz why many join the taxi industry....
and
some of them cannot think straight ...choose a shorter route to heaven.

:( :eek: :(

They cannot go to heaven, for they had already taken the shortest route to hell, by votong for DIVISION ONE ministers.:rolleyes: