• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

2018 World Cup Thread.

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
"Football is a simple game. Twenty two men chase a ball for 90 minutes and in the end, the Germans always wins..." Gary Lineker
honestly I have a personal reason why I would hate to see Germany win again. anybody except Germany

Wunderfool

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Germany is known for their clinical passes and finishes. Brazil is famous for their samba style of football. France is full of romantic frolicking old men. Argentina is famous for their hand ball and diving skills. Spain is like a hot blooded bull always charging aimlessly.
England is a circus on parade.

Who will win the World Cup? Can never tell. Ball is round. And money makes the world go round.

dredd

Alfrescian
Loyal
Last World Cup, the Germans were by far the better team, heads and shoulders above anyone else. Any team that can beat Brazil at home 7-1 deserves to win the World Cup.

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Last World Cup, the Germans were by far the better team, heads and shoulders above anyone else. Any team that can beat Brazil at home 7-1 deserves to win the World Cup.
instead of supporting just one team I will reverse the practice and support any team my hated team plays against.

Robert Half

Alfrescian
Loyal
Unless sampaoli can bring the best out of messi
He is very different in club and country.
He way too accustomed in barca style and he cant adapt in argentina squad.
Just like barca when messi not performing the whole squad go down with him.

Argentina can still win without Messi as long as Higuain don't kelong :p Sampaoli can used Messi as a substitute in the group stage matches coming on in the 2nd half playing about 45 mins per match.

Like that Messi can conserve enough energy for the knockout stages.

no_faith

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Argentina can still win without Messi as long as Higuain don't kelong :p Sampaoli can used Messi as a substitute in the group stage matches coming on in the 2nd half playing about 45 mins per match.

Like that Messi can conserve enough energy for the knockout stages.
You have faith in that fat arse higuain?:biggrin:

tanwahtiu

Alfrescian
Loyal
With millenium kids playing world cup soccer tgey need a maid to carry their sport bags fir them...

Better watch them eat at Macdonalds and slide at the playground...

Sideswipe

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
England sure flop one as usual. the squad list is depressing. they used to have world class players like Terry, Beckham, Owen, now what ? their media also don't expect too much from their team, hopefully L8 and it's considered a success.

no_faith

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Any outsider or dark horse?:biggrin:
Sure got 1 team will create upset
I go for morocco

Last edited:

jw5

Loyal
From espn.com

Julen Lopetegui sacked by Spain before World Cup after taking Real Madrid job

Julen Lopetegui has been sacked as Spain's national team coach on the eve of the World Cup, one day after agreeing to take over at Real Madrid.

In a news conference at Spain's training base in Krasnodar, Russia, Spanish federation president Luis Rubiales said Lopetegui's fate was sealed just two days ahead of the team's World Cup opening game, as Rubiales could not accept an Royal Spanish Football Federation (RFEF) employee having negotiated a move to Real Madrid after the tournament without informing his employers.

The RFEF announced afterward that Fernando Hierro will assume the role of coach for the tournament. Hierro, the national team's sporting director, is due to address the media later on Wednesday.

Rubiales, who was elected as RFEF chief last month, was in Moscow for the vote on the World Cup 2026 host country, but he flew back to Krasnodar on Tuesday for an emergency meeting with Lopetegui. The coach's decision was announced at a news conference thereafter.

"We have been obliged to fire the national coach," Rubiales said Wednesday. "We wish him the best, he has done an excellent job in getting us to the tournament. But the federation cannot be left outside the negotiation of one of its employees, and find out just five minutes before a public announcement. If anybody wants to talk to one of our employees, they have to speak to us, too. That is basic, as this is the team of all Spaniards. The national team is the most important we have; the World Cup is the biggest of all."

Hierro was a defender for Spain's national team and Real Madrid and will coach the team starting with Friday night's game against Portugal.

"What we will do is touch as little as possible the national camp," Rubiales said. "We are working on it. When we know, we will tell you. We are all affected by this, but we must think about the best for the federation and the team. All this is a big blow, but we are training again this afternoon, will stick together and move forward. The players are very focused, and they have told me they are fully committed, and will give 100 percent."

Rubiales suggested he had taken the decision personally, as the behaviour of both Lopetegui and Real Madrid had not met the level expected of those involved in Spanish football.

"I took a plane, came back from Moscow, missed the vote on the next World Cup to be here," he said. "We had to react, I know that whatever I do, I will be criticised. I accept that. But the values of the federation come first. I am sure Julen would have preferred it another way, and we wish him the best. He is a top coach for me, which made the decision very difficult. To win is very important, to have the best coach very important, but above everything is acting in the right way. Maybe this is tough now, but in the end it will make us stronger."

Spain's players, led by national team and Madrid captain Sergio Ramos, were reportedly in favour of Lopetegui staying on for the tournament. Rubiales repeatedly dodged questions over whether he had taken their advice before making the decision to fire the coach.

"I've a very close relationship with the players, also with Julen," he said. "It has been a very difficult decision, the most difficult for me. I have spoken with the players, and I can guarantee they will do everything, along with the new coach, to take the team as far as possible [at this World Cup]."

Ramos later said on Twitter: "We are the national team, we represent the shield, the colors, the fans and a country.

"The responsibility and the obligation is with us. Yesterday, today and tomorrow: #Let'sGoSpain"

Reports say that the former Madrid and Barcelona goalkeeper, whose representative Carlos Bucero works closely with Portuguese super-agent Jorge Mendes, will triple his salary with the move.