• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

17yo PMD rider kena serious accident in Yishun...SIBEH SONG!!

AhMeng

Alfrescian (Inf- Comp)
Asset
Fires involving e-scooters, e-bikes spike by 50% in 2018
www.channelnewsasia.com
SINGAPORE: The number of fires involving electric bicycles, electric scooters and other personal mobility devices (PMDs) spiked by more than 50 per cent in 2018, the Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) said.
There were 74 such fires last year – a 51 per cent increase from the 49 cases in 2017, SCDF said in announcing its annual Fire, Emergency Medical Services and Enforcement statistics on Friday (Feb 22).
Advertisement
The 74 fires involved 50 electric scooters, 22 e-bikes and two of other PMDs, and caused 12 injuries.
“Most of the PAB (power-assisted bicycles) and PMD fires involved lithium-ion batteries, and occurred during battery charging or shortly after,” SCDF said. It urged the public to be more vigilant as “these fires can result in casualties and serious damage to property”.
Users should not leave these devices unattended while charging, and should not charge them near combustible materials, said Assistant Commissioner Daniel Seet, the director of SCDF’s operations department.
READ: 3 people injured in e-scooter fire at Cashew Road flat
AdvertisementAdvertisementREAD: Toa Payoh man taken to hospital after battery pack in personal mobility device catches fire

The overall number of fires remained stable in 2018, with rubbish fires remaining as the cause of most fires at residential areas and one-third of all fires in Singapore, SCDF said.
Still, these fires tend to be small and pose little risk of spreading or causing injuries, SCDF said.
“Such fires can be easily put out by members of the public ... To ensure optimisation of resources to focus on major fire and life-threatening emergencies, SCDF has empowered members of the public to respond to rubbish fires,” it said.

For instance, SCDF launched the Community First Responder (Fire) scheme last year as part of the SCDF myResponder app. The initiative alerts members of the public to minor rubbish chute and bin fires in their immediate vicinity.

To date, 15,000 people have registered to be notified of such fires via the app and SCDF has sent out alerts for more than 1,000 rubbish fires. A total of 370 individuals responded to help extinguish them.
SCDF also said it conducted 14,537 fire safety enforcement checks in 2018 and issued 2,453 notices of Fire Safety Offences and 2,462 Fire Hazard Abatement Notices.
INCREASING NUMBER OF NON-EMERGENCY CALLS AND FALSE ALARMS
A total of 187,607 Emergency Medical Services (EMS) calls were made last year – about 500 a day – a 2.8 per cent increase from the previous year and continuing an upward trend since 1998.
However, 9.6 per cent of the calls were non-emergencies and false alarms, SCDF said.
“This means that on average, SCDF responded to around 50 non-emergency and false alarm calls each day,” it said, reiterating that members of the public should call 995 only in an emergency.
READ: All motorised PMDs must meet fire safety standards by 2021

READ: 'Effectively a ban' – users, retailers blast new PMD fire safety rule
People who do not require EMS assistance and to be taken to a hospital should seek treatment from their family doctor or at nearby clinics, it added.
If unsure whether a situation is an emergency, people can call 995 and describe the situation as best as they can, said Assistant Commissioner Abdul Razak, the director of SCDF’s Public Affairs Department.
“But some members of the public call us for toothaches and for persistent coughs. That doesn’t warrant our attention to begin with ... I think you can see the rationale for this approach we are taking,” he said.
FIRE ENGINES, RED RHINOS TO BE EXEMPTED FROM ROAD TRAFFIC ACT
SCDF also gave an update on the exemption of emergency vehicles from the Road Traffic Act.
On Dec 1, 2017, SCDF ambulances were formally exempted from Section 120(3) of the Road Traffic Act, allowing them to run red lights and make illegal U-turns when responding to life-threatening medical emergencies.
READ: Ambulances can legally run red lights and make unauthorised U-turns

SCDF said it is working towards extending the exemption to other emergency vehicles from Apr 1 this year. These include fire engines, red rhinos and fire medical vehicles, a hybrid of a fire engine and an ambulance.
Since the exemption was introduced, there have been no accidents involving ambulances and motorists have cooperated by giving way, SCDF said.
“In a medical emergency, every second saved has the potential to improve the patient's survival chances and health outcome,” it added.

AhMeng

Alfrescian (Inf- Comp)
Asset
Every year increase by 50%. 74 cases in 2018. So 2019 figures should exceed 100. It's almost a PMD fire every 3 days. Fucking time bomb

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Yah eco friendly. Lol :biggrin: How many homes have explosion from these PMD charging?

Very few. I have been using an e-scooter for the past year and I have a whole group of friends and we go out on our e scooters for rides every weekend and none have ever had any issues with explosions.

Stick to the quality brands like Dualtron and all will be well. Keep away from cheap Chink stuff.

glockman

Old Fart
Asset
The car is guzzling fuel and polluting the environment. The PMD user is eco friendly and takes up very little space on the road. Everyone should be using e scooters as they will save the world.
I agree, but let's train users and when they are competent, issue them licenses. And get them to buy insurance.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
I agree, but let's train users and when they are competent, issue them licenses. And get them to buy insurance.

When you start licensing and insuring everything you're just playing into the hands of the government.

glockman

Old Fart
Asset
Very few. I have been using an e-scooter for the past year and I have a whole group of friends and we go out on our e scooters for rides every weekend and none have ever had any issues with explosions.

Stick to the quality brands like Dualtron and all will be well. Keep away from cheap Chink stuff.

Wouldn't it be healthier to ride your bicycles instead?

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
We all started off as incompetent. When I was a kid who had just learned how to ride a bike the first thing I did was ride on the main road and crash head on into a car causing a huge dent.

The motorist was very kind. He took me to the nearest clinic for stitches. None of this nastiness that is present in today's world. All we need to do is be a bit more tolerant towards each other.

AhMeng

Alfrescian (Inf- Comp)
Asset
Given all these fire risks, those who charge their PMDs at home should be made to buy mandatory 3P fire isurance as well. The last thing I want to see is the fire from explosion of PMD in my neighbour's damaging my home, and I have no recourse against these bustards who have legs but don't want to use.

glockman

Old Fart
Asset
When you start licensing and insuring everything you're just playing into the hands of the government.
This can't be helped. As much as I detest over-regulation, this is needed. If only the average e-scooterist is a thinking, mature and responsible adult. But the bulk are young punks, immature and irresponsible, dressed in black to boot!

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Given all these fire risks, those who charge their PMDs at home should be made to buy mandatory 3P fire isurance as well. The last thing I want to see is the fire from explosion of PMD in my neighbour's damaging my home, and I have no recourse against these bustards who have legs but don't want to use.

Phones can cause fires as well. Should the same rule apply to all smart phone owners? NTUC will be very happy.

glockman

Old Fart
Asset
We all started off as incompetent. When I was a kid who had just learned how to ride a bike the first thing I did was ride on the main road and crash head on into a car causing a huge dent.

The motorist was very kind. He took me to the nearest clinic for stitches. None of this nastiness that is present in today's world. All we need to do is be a bit more tolerant towards each other.
You rode under your own steam. You will slow down when you tire and your max speed is how fast you can pedal. But pop in a motor, and it's a whole different game.

AhMeng

Alfrescian (Inf- Comp)
Asset
Phones can cause fires as well. Should the same rule apply to all smart phone owners? NTUC will be very happy.
Do you have statistics in terms of % of phones causing fire and PMD causing even bigger risky fires? Obviously the risk is much smaller or negligible for phones.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
www.channelnewsasia.com
SINGAPORE: The number of fires involving electric bicycles, electric scooters and other personal mobility devices (PMDs) spiked by more than 50 per cent in 2018, the Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) said.
There were 74 such fires last year – a 51 per cent increase from the 49 cases in 2017, SCDF said in announcing its annual Fire, Emergency Medical Services and Enforcement statistics on Friday (Feb 22).
Advertisement
The 74 fires involved 50 electric scooters, 22 e-bikes and two of other PMDs, and caused 12 injuries.
“Most of the PAB (power-assisted bicycles) and PMD fires involved lithium-ion batteries, and occurred during battery charging or shortly after,” SCDF said. It urged the public to be more vigilant as “these fires can result in casualties and serious damage to property”.
Users should not leave these devices unattended while charging, and should not charge them near combustible materials, said Assistant Commissioner Daniel Seet, the director of SCDF’s operations department.
AdvertisementAdvertisementREAD: Toa Payoh man taken to hospital after battery pack in personal mobility device catches fire

The overall number of fires remained stable in 2018, with rubbish fires remaining as the cause of most fires at residential areas and one-third of all fires in Singapore, SCDF said.
Still, these fires tend to be small and pose little risk of spreading or causing injuries, SCDF said.
“Such fires can be easily put out by members of the public ... To ensure optimisation of resources to focus on major fire and life-threatening emergencies, SCDF has empowered members of the public to respond to rubbish fires,” it said.

For instance, SCDF launched the Community First Responder (Fire) scheme last year as part of the SCDF myResponder app. The initiative alerts members of the public to minor rubbish chute and bin fires in their immediate vicinity.

To date, 15,000 people have registered to be notified of such fires via the app and SCDF has sent out alerts for more than 1,000 rubbish fires. A total of 370 individuals responded to help extinguish them.
SCDF also said it conducted 14,537 fire safety enforcement checks in 2018 and issued 2,453 notices of Fire Safety Offences and 2,462 Fire Hazard Abatement Notices.
A total of 187,607 Emergency Medical Services (EMS) calls were made last year – about 500 a day – a 2.8 per cent increase from the previous year and continuing an upward trend since 1998.
However, 9.6 per cent of the calls were non-emergencies and false alarms, SCDF said.
“This means that on average, SCDF responded to around 50 non-emergency and false alarm calls each day,” it said, reiterating that members of the public should call 995 only in an emergency.

People who do not require EMS assistance and to be taken to a hospital should seek treatment from their family doctor or at nearby clinics, it added.
If unsure whether a situation is an emergency, people can call 995 and describe the situation as best as they can, said Assistant Commissioner Abdul Razak, the director of SCDF’s Public Affairs Department.
“But some members of the public call us for toothaches and for persistent coughs. That doesn’t warrant our attention to begin with ... I think you can see the rationale for this approach we are taking,” he said.
SCDF also gave an update on the exemption of emergency vehicles from the Road Traffic Act.
On Dec 1, 2017, SCDF ambulances were formally exempted from Section 120(3) of the Road Traffic Act, allowing them to run red lights and make illegal U-turns when responding to life-threatening medical emergencies.

SCDF said it is working towards extending the exemption to other emergency vehicles from Apr 1 this year. These include fire engines, red rhinos and fire medical vehicles, a hybrid of a fire engine and an ambulance.
Since the exemption was introduced, there have been no accidents involving ambulances and motorists have cooperated by giving way, SCDF said.
“In a medical emergency, every second saved has the potential to improve the patient's survival chances and health outcome,” it added.

A minute number compared to the total number of PMDs in use.

Far more worrying is the fact that more than a hundred people DIE every year as a result of road accidents. If everyone used an e scooter they'd still be alive.

glockman

Old Fart
Asset
Biking is on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays. On Sunday it's e scooter day.
But wouldn't it be better to simply cycle on Sundays too? Your body will thank you for it. I have not bought an e-scooter, and will never do so. I would rather cycle, walk or take the bus.

Huatable

Alfrescian
Loyal
www.channelnewsasia.com
Advertisement

In AMDK countries, selling battery chargers for such devices without the local "safety marks" is a legal offence.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
But wouldn't it be better to simply cycle on Sundays too? Your body will thank you for it. I have not bought an e-scooter, and will never do so. I would rather cycle, walk or take the bus.

I like variety. LIfe is short. We should broaden our experiences as much as possible. I've tried jet skis, jet boats, mountain biking, kite surfing etc. All are great fun once you've learned the basic skills.