• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

☆☆☆ FIFA World Cup 2014 ☆☆☆

GuillermoOchoa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

World Cup 2014: England players still in a state of shock as they return home from Brazil

As hotel wastes little time in erasing all memories of World Cup failures, Roy Hodgson insists there is still an international future for Steven Gerard and Frank Lampard

hodgson_2955013b.jpg

Muted welcome: Roy Hodgson's England arrive at Luton on Wednesday Photo: PA

By Henry Winter, Football Correspondent, Rio de Janeiro
10:30PM BST 25 Jun 2014

England staff were still dismantling the team games room and meeting room at their Royal Tulip base here on Wednesday but the hotel clearly anticipated their early departure from the World Cup. The place was heaving with new guests, many of them French. Only a few rooms were available, the cheapest at 2,030 reals (around £600) plus 15 per cent tax.

Occasional reminders could be found that the 72-strong England party had been in residence: the Cross of St George next to a Brazil flag in the lobby bar, a receptionist with a Three Lions lapel badge and the squad’s dining area with newly painted wooden boards to keep out prying eyes and one table with a place card saying “Players Only”. Otherwise, England have been airbrushed out of this World Cup. In the hotel grounds, the only hint of football was a children’s set of goals near the pool.

The sign for guests to “bring your friends and let’s cheer together” when matches are televised in the bar cannot have been aimed at England. Nor would they have appreciated the promise of “live music – after the games”.

England were in what Roy Hodgson called their “realm of despair”. This is the World Cup of “all in one rhythm”, except England. Barring a drive to training that bored certain players, Sao Conrado actually proved a good base for England, a mixture of sufficient privacy but also allowing contact with the public.

The players had walked from their roped-off areas through the main reception, stopping for photographs and autographs. No key-cards were required to access the lifts. There was the huge beach 50 yards away and the mall 100 yards away with its popular Starbucks. England players could wake up and smell the coffee, off the field at least.

It was a world away from the five-star, heavily guarded prison in Rustenburg at the last World Cup. England have tried isolation at tournaments, and now tried involvement, but still to no avail. They flew out in the night, scarcely remembered, not mourned. Before he left, Hodgson admitted that when he arrived back at his Chelsea abode that “I have to continue the grieving for a period”.

He will not resign. It was pointed out to Hodgson that Cesare Prandelli, Italy’s coach, had stood down.

“He’s been there a long time [since 2010],’’ Hodgson replied. “The FA have asked me to continue. They want me to continue. I’m very happy that they want me to continue.

“There’s an interesting group of players here to work with. I get no feeling whatsoever that any of them will want me to resign. I have no reason to do so. I have no intention to do so. I think I’ve stood up to the criticism, to the comments and that’s as much as I can do. I’m not a quitter.

"I believe in this team and that the FA seriously want me to keep doing this job, as do the players, so therefore I will continue to do it and I’ll try and lead the team to Euro 2016 and try to get some good results.”

That journey starts in 70 days when Hodgson will convene at St George’s Park with Ray Lewington, Gary Neville and Dave Watson before the Wembley friendly with Norway on Sept 3 and then the Euro 2016 qualifier against Switzerland in Basle on Sept 8.

England’s video man is working on “cutting up” clips of performances in Brazil which will be presented to Hodgson and his staff.

“We will all sit down together before we start our next campaign to see what did we learn from the World Cup, what did we learn about our players, what did we learn about the way we want to play, what do we think we can push forward and if we made any glaring mistakes then what can we do to make sure we don’t make them again,” Hodgson said.

Hodgson will receive a report on trends and tactics at the World Cup from Dan Ashworth and Gareth Southgate, who continue scouting in Brazil, and will continue talking to Club England about the future development of the team.

There was an element of clutching at straws as Hodgson searched for positives but he took heart from the attitude in the dead-rubber draw with Costa Rica in Belo Horizonte.

Since being knocked out, England’s players had suffered “four days of absolute misery” but the likes of Ross Barkley and Jack Wilshere performed well enough against Costa Rica.

“I would defy anyone to question the determination, spirit and desire of the team,” said Hodgson.

As England staff broke camp at Sao Conrado, Hodgson was still wrestling with many issues. He wants Steven Gerrard, 34, and Frank Lampard, 36, to stay on when many observers understandably want a clean break with the push towards Euro 2016 coming from a squad of under-30s.

“If the question is 'could they still play a part' then obviously the answer is ‘yes’,’’ Hodgson said of Gerrard and Lampard. “It would be nice if they don’t formally retire because when players do that they disappear from England selection. Leave it to a dialogue perhaps whereby at any moment in time I could speak to one of them and say: ‘Look, do you want to play in this game, are you up for it?’ That’s how I’d really like to see it.’’

He acknowledged that Rooney is in the frame for captaincy if Gerrard goes.

He defended Steve Peters’s involvement as the psychiatrist to a squad with such brittle belief.

“He’s been very, very good with the individual players. The nutritionist, extra fitness coach and Steve Peters have all been very valuable members of our squad and helped us prepare better.”

Hodgson will take with him the memory of England fans’ “fantastic” ovation at the final whistle in Belo Horizonte. Explanation of the fans’ reaction came from one of their best-known members, Dean Cornish.

“The scenes afterwards in Belo were also superb,’’ Cornish tweeted. “A poor team being supported until the end. Congas, new songs, and upbeat support. Fantastic. Homages to Lampard, Gerrard, Rooney, Hodgson and the rest of the side that ‘the man in the pub’ would never understand. Support unquestioned.

"That’s not to say England fans are happy with performances. Not good enough. They’ve not performed. One day they will and those who support in ‘bad’ times will deserve it. One day we will be back.’’

GuillermoOchoa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Luis Suarez needs therapy to overcome urge to bite

Psychologist Dr Saima Latif says the Uruguay striker needs to get to the root of the deep-seated problem that caused his behaviour at the World Cup

luisuarez-bite_2954197b.jpg

He's all mouth: Luis Suarez has made a habit of biting people Photo: REUTERS

By Dr Saima Latif
2:38PM BST 25 Jun 2014

Biting is an act borne of frustration, stress and loss of control. Luis Suárez is likely to have felt humiliated and put down in some way that he wanted to get one over on his opponent. Most people faced with these emotions would try to walk away and simmer down.

Research shows that the most violent period of our lives is when we are between three and four years old. That is the most aggressive stage of development, because if we don't get what we want, we fight and lash out. It's also the stage when the Id takes over; a basic instinct when we can't control our temperament.

It's a possibility that Suárez thought his provocation would lead to his opponent retaliating and then being sent off. However, given that he may also be sent off for biting, this reasoning is slightly more remote.

Perhaps his biting started in childhood and was triggered by something, perhaps he was bitten in turn. To get to the root of the problem and address it effectively he does require psychological therapy which looks at the more deep-seated issues that might be of concern.

Suárez's anger management therapy should have provided him with some techniques to cope with these situations. It would have likely tried to identify some triggers, teaching him mechanisms like counting to 10, how to walk away, but it doesn't seems to have been effective.

This may be because the therapy was part of his previous punishment [for the Ivanovic bite], therefore he just went through the motions and paid lip service to it. Either that, or it's a spur of the moment act for him, so much so that he can't utilise what he's been taught.

His remarks after the match show that he's trying to minimize his actions. It's akin to stealing and then saying "well, it was only a packet of crisps, so what?" By dismissing it as nothing, Suárez aims to trivialise his own behaviour.

Suárez trying to shift the blame is also a classic form of childish behaviour. Most children, when they are confronted with something they have done, will immediately take recourse in lying.

The fact that this is a repeated action shows that it is habitual, rather than pathological. It is his particular technique, which makes you wonder how many time's he's done it off the pitch.

GuillermoOchoa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Dzeko: I'll never forget disallowed goal against Nigeria

427153_heroa.jpg

By Vaishali Bhardwaj
Jun 26, 2014 10:34:00 AM

The Manchester City forward lamented the referee's decision not to award his strike against the Africans, saying the moment would stay with him forever

Bosnia-Herzegovina striker Edin Dzeko has admitted that he will never forget the goal that he controversially had disallowed against Nigeria at the World Cup.

With the score goalless in Cuiaba, Dzeko - who is his nation's record goalscorer - saw his 21st-minute strike ruled out for offside, even though replays showed the decision had been incorrect.

Peter Odemwingie went on to score the only goal of the game eight minutes later, which handed Nigeria a narrow 1-0 victory.

The defeat ensured that Safet Susic's men could not qualify for the second round after their earlier loss to Argentina.

Despite scoring the opener in his team’s 3-1 win over Iran in their final group game in Salvador, the Manchester City striker said he would always remember the disallowed goal against Nigeria, which marred Bosnia-Herzegovina’s maiden World Cup campaign.

"Despite the victory, we go home sad as we could've gone further," Dzeko said.

"The goal they cancelled out against Nigeria, I will remember until the end of my life."

Miralem Pjanic and Avdija Vrsajevic also scored against Iran on Wednesday, which handed the side their only victory in Brazil.

And Pjanic expressed his disappointment at his team not having progressed further in the tournament, saying that the Bosnia-Herzegovina players did not put in a good enough performance to beat Nigeria despite Dzeko’s disallowed goal.

"I'm glad I scored at the World Cup, but I am sorry that we did not achieve what we wanted," he said.

"If we had a bit more luck we could have got out of the group. We gave our best and it was a great experience for us. In the second game we did not work hard, but we have to look forward."

GuillermoOchoa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

'I'm not a quitter,' insists England boss Hodgson

428665_heroa.jpg

By James Willoughby
Jun 26, 2014 11:18:00 AM

With the Three Lions having returned home after their World Cup campaign ended early, the former Liverpool manager is adamant he will stay on for Euro 2016

England manager Roy Hodgson says he will not resign from his post despite the Three Lions' disappointing World Cup showing.

Hodgson's men entered the tournament with high hopes but their new crop of young players failed to deliver, with consecutive 2-1 defeats to Italy and Uruguay ending their prospects of making the last 16 after just six days.

England finished the tournament with a goalless draw against Costa Rica on Tuesday and the former Liverpool and Fulham boss's future has been questioned.

When told that Italy coach Cesare Prandelli had offered his resignation following their elimination, Hodgson was asked again by reporters about his job but snapped back: "I told you [press] the other day [I won't resign] and I've nothing more to add.

"The FA has asked me to continue. They want me to continue. I'm very happy that they want me to continue.

"I think there is an interesting group of players here to work with and I get no feeling whatsoever that any of them will want me to resign. I have no reason to do so. I have no intention to do so. I don't want to be compared to other people.

"The reason I'm staying on is that I'm not a quitter. I believe in this team and that the FA seriously want me to keep doing this job, as do the players, so therefore I will continue to do it and I'll try and lead them to Euro 2016 and try to get some good results."

Hodgson was also pressed on the future of experienced midfielders Steven Gerrard and Frank Lampard and he does not want either player to retire from international football – as is widely expected – so he can involve them in England's bid to reach France in 2016.

"It would be nice if they don't formally retire because, when players do that, they disappear from England selection," he added.

"[We could] leave it to a dialogue, perhaps, whereby at any moment in time I could speak to one of them and say: 'Look, do you want to play in this game, are you up for it?'. That's how I'd really like to see it."

GuillermoOchoa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Suarez should be banned but only after the World Cup, urges Zyryanov

428738_heroa.jpg

By Vaishali Bhardwaj
Jun 26, 2014 11:34:00 AM

The former Russia midfielder says Fifa will have to give the star a hefty punishment but insists they should allow the forward to finish playing the tournament in Brazil first

Ex-Russia midfielder Konstantin Zyryanov has called on "wild" Luis Suarez to be given a ban if he is found guilty of biting – but only after the World Cup finishes.

The Liverpool star made headlines this week when he appeared to bite the shoulder of Italian defender Giorgio Chiellini during Uruguay’s 1-0 win over the Azzurri - an incident that the 27-year-old was not sent off for.

Suarez has bitten an opponent on two separate occasions previously - he was punished for sinking his teeth into PSV Eindhoven's Otman Bakkal in 2010 before being banned for biting the arm of Chelsea's Branislav Ivanovic in 2013.

Fifa have now confirmed that they have opened disciplinary proceedings into this week's incident, and if found guilty of the offence again, Suarez could be suspended for between three and 24 international matches or be given up to a two-year club and/or country ban.

And Zyryanov admitted that while Suarez should be banned, Fifa should only take the necessary action after the end of the World Cup in Brazil.

"I would allow him to play the rest of the World Cup. But then he must be punished,” he told Sport-Express.

"He already has previous incidents like this, with Branislav Ivanovic who he bit and [then] got a ban for 10 matches [as a result].

"They say off the pitch Suarez is fine, but in the heat of the match his emotions go wild.

"God has shown me mercy [for never being bitten]. I've been pushed, beaten off my feet, but biting? Thank God, that has not yet come into anyone's mind."

Fifa began proceedings into the incident on Wednesday and are likely to conclude discussions by the end of Thursday.

"We have to resolve it either today or tomorrow," Martin Hong, a member of Fifa's disciplinary panel, told reporters on Wednesday. "It's our duty to see justice done."

Should Suarez decide to appeal any ban given by the governing body, Fifa may have to take the case to the Court of Arbitration for Sport to reach a binding verdict before Uruguay's next World Cup match against Colombia on June 28.

But if Fifa were to ban the forward for fewer than three matches or only up to two months, Suarez would not be able to appeal as per the organisation's rules.

GuillermoOchoa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Muntari and Boateng sent home from World Cup

429192_heroa.jpg

By Jon Fisher
Jun 26, 2014 12:33:00 PM

The two midfielders have been told to leave the Ghana squad in Brazil ahead of their final group game against Portugal

Ghana's troubled World Cup campaign descended further into farce on Thursday when midfielders Sulley Muntari and Kevin-Prince Boateng were handed indefinite suspensions by the Ghana Football Association and ordered to leave their World Cup camp.

The GFA announced the news in separate statements on their website a day after a pay dispute over appearance fees was resolved following the intervention of the country's president John Mahama.

The Black Stars take on Portugal in their final Group G game on Thursday but will do so without Muntari and Boateng.

On AC Milan star Muntari, the GFA statement read: "The Ghana Football Association (GFA) has suspended Sulley Ali Muntari indefinitely from the Black Stars with immediate effect.

"The decision was taken in the wake of his unprovoked physical attack on an Executive Committee member of the GFA and a management member of the Black Stars, Mr Moses Armah on Tuesday 24th June, 2014 during a meeting.

"Muntari’s accreditation for the 2014 World Cup has been withdrawn with immediate effect."

Boateng is accused of hurling verbal insults at coach Kwesi Appiah, claims he denies.

The GFA stated: "The Ghana Football Association (GFA) has approved coach Kwesi Appiah’s decision to suspend Kevin-Prince Boateng indefinitely from the Black Stars.

"The decision takes immediate effect and was taken following Boateng’s vulgar verbal insults targeted at coach Appiah during the team’s training session in Maceio this week.

"Boateng has since showed no remorse for his actions which has resulted in the decision.

"Boateng’s accreditation for the 2014 World Cup has been withdrawn with immediate effect."

Boateng, who plays his club football for Schalke, denied any wrongdoing.

In an interview with Sport Bild, he gave his version of events. "Yesterday, there was an incident during training. Sulley Muntari and I have gone for a tackle and I said he had played the ball with his hand. He said no. Then I laughed and said 'hey, are you the referee or what?'.

"We both laughed but the coach wondered why. We said everything was okay but he sent us off the field.

"After training I went to the coach and asked him if he had a minute for me. I asked him what he had against me? Then he started yelling at me. He insulted me. There were words like f*** off.

"No-one should believe I insulted the coach. I will now travel home and I wish my colleagues all the best for the World Cup and the match against Portugal."

GuillermoOchoa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Costa hopes to start ahead of Pepe in Ghana clash

327525_heroa.jpg

By Vaishali Bhardwaj
Jun 26, 2014 1:24:00 PM

The Portugal defender remains hopeful that he will keep his starting spot over Pepe, who returns from suspension, and thinks that the Seleccao can still qualify for the last 16

Ricardo Costa is hoping to start in Portugal's crucial final Group G clash against Ghana on Thursday despite Pepe returning from suspension.

Pepe was shown a straight red card for headbutting Thomas Muller during Portugal's 4-0 thrashing at the hands of Germany in Salvador last week.

Following the heavy loss to Joachim Low's side, Portugal came from behind to salvage a 2-2 draw in their second group game against the USA, with Costa replacing the Real Madrid defender for the draw.

Paulo Bento’s men now need to beat Ghana in Brasilia and hope that Group G leaders, Germany, beat the USA to have any chance of qualifying for the last 16.

Costa is determined to keep his starting berth in the match against the Black Stars and hopes Bento will stay faithful and allow him to play over Pepe.

"I will work to help as much as possible, solving the problems we have in training and in games," he said.

"Paulo Bento is the only man who will decide who plays.

"If I play, I will give my best. If I do not play, I'll be on the bench to support our national team."

With Portugal’s fate in the hands of Germany, Costa insists that the Seleccao can still qualify for the knockout stages of the World Cup - despite the team needing to make up a goal difference gap of five between themselves and Jurgen Klinsmann’s team.

"We believe that it is possible to beat Ghana and move on to the knockout round," the Valencia defender said.

"We nurture that hope. I believe and I think everyone should believe in the team.

"We know we are a very good team that has been together for a long time and that collectively are playing very strong.

"We've had opportunities to compete in the World Cup, but the results do not demonstrate the quality of our players.

"Our players have a lot of quality and belong to a Portuguese team that is respected worldwide."

GuillermoOchoa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Fifa investigation into Suarez 'bite' enters second day

428450_heroa.jpg

By George Ankers
Jun 26, 2014 9:59:00 AM

The Uruguay forward is claimed to have sunk his teeth into Italy's Giorgio Chiellini and the World Cup organisers are expected to reach a decision on Thursday over a suspension

Thursday is expected to see a verdict in Fifa's disciplinary investigation of Luis Suarez's alleged bite on Giorgio Chiellini.

With Uruguay having progressed to the World Cup second round by beating Italy 1-0, football's governing body began deliberations on Wednesday in the hope of reaching a quick verdict.

"We have to resolve it either today or tomorrow," Martin Hong, a member of Fifa's disciplinary panel, told reporters on Wednesday. "It's our duty to see justice done."

Fifa confirmed that the disciplinary committee began deliberations on Wednesday evening and Wilmar Valdez, president of the Uruguayan FA, told the press: "What we know is they met for a long time. We don't know if that's a good or a bad situation."

The deadline for Suarez and Uruguay to present their defence was late on Wednesday evening, with time short for a decision to be reached.

Should the forward appeal any ban handed out, Fifa might be forced to take the case to the Court of Arbitration for Sport in order to reach a binding verdict before Uruguay's round-of-16 meeting with Colombia.

A suspension of "fewer than three matches or of up to two months," however, could not be appealed as per Fifa rules.

If Fifa were to judge the incident on the scale of normal red-card offences, a suspension could stretch between three and 24 international matches, but the organisation also has the option of a club and international ban of up to two years.

Leona

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Luis Suárez banned for four months for biting opponent in World Cup clash

• Fifa take unprecedented action against controversial striker
• Suárez fined £66,000 and banned from entering any stadium
• World Cup live blog – latest reaction to Suárez decision
• Poll: Is the four-month suspension harsh, lenient or fair?

The Guardian Thursday 26 June 2014 15.35 BST

Luis-Su-rez-010.jpg

Luis Suárez Luis Suárez, pictured at Uruguay's team hotel in Natal before hearing the result of Fifa's disciplinary hearing. Photograph: Hassan Ammar/AP

In an unprecedented move Fifa has banned Uruguay’s Luis Suárez from all “football-related activities” for four months for biting Italy’s Giorgio Chiellini, ruling him out of the rest of the World Cup and the start of the domestic season.

The Liverpool striker will not be able to play or train for his club or country for four months after Fifa’s disciplinary committee handed down the hefty sanction, which is sure to provoke dismay from both Uruguay and Liverpool.

The biting incident, the third in which Suárez has been involved in his career, has also led Fifa’s disciplinary committee to ban the player from even entering any football stadium during the ban.

Suárez has also been banned for nine competitive international matches, beginning with Uruguay’s last-16 clash with Colombia on Saturday, and fined £66,000.

However, Fifa clarified that Suarez’s ban from all “administrative” tasks related to football did not block any possible transfer from Liverpool during the period.

“Such behaviour cannot be tolerated on any football pitch, and in particular not at a Fifa World Cup when the eyes of millions of people are on the stars on the field,” said Claudio Sulser, the chair of the disciplinary committee, which met late into the night at the Sofitel Hotel on Copacabana.

“The disciplinary committee took into account all the factors of the case and the degree of Mr Suárez’s guilt in accordance with the relevant provisions of the code. The decision comes into force as soon it is communicated.”

The ban means that Suárez, who the Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers hailed as a reformed character last season as he won both footballer of the year prizes, will miss nine Premier League matches and three Champions League games.

Although Uruguay can appeal the decision, it will not stop Suárez being banned from Saturday’s match because under article 124 of the Fifa disciplinary code it does not have a “suspensive effect”.

Before Fifa announced their judgment, the Uruguayan FA and even the country’s president had weighed into the issue in support of Suárez.

They claimed that Suárez was the target of a conspiracy among the Italians, the English media and the Brazilian hosts to make more of the incident than it warranted.

“You shouldn’t forget that we’re rivals of many and we can be for the hosts [Brazil] in the future. This does not go against what might have happened, but there’s no doubt that Suárez is a stone in the shoe for many,” said Suárez’s lawyer Alejandro Balbi.

But television pictures showing the incident seemed clear. The ban – added to previous penalties for racially abusing Manchester United’s Patrice Evra and for biting Chelsea’s Branislav Ivanovic, mean that he will have been suspended for 34 matches since 2010 without receiving a single red card on the pitch.

Liverpool’s chief executive Ian Ayre said: “Liverpool Football Club will wait until we have seen and had time to review the Fifa Disciplinary Committee report before making any further comment.”

Muslera

Alfrescian
Loyal

Uruguay to appeal Suarez ban

426240_heroa.jpg

Jun 26, 2014 4:51:00 PM

The Liverpool striker was handed a four-month ban from all football-related activity by Fifa on Thursday but the Uruguayan FA will not take it lying down

By Liam Twomey in Rio de Janeiro

Uruguay FA president Wilmar Valdez has confirmed the association will appeal Luis Suarez's four-month ban for biting Italy defender Giorgio Chiellini.

Fifa announced on Thursday that the Liverpool striker will be suspended for nine competitive international matches, banned from all football-related activity for four months and fined €82,000.

The punishment ends Suarez's involvement in this summer's World Cup and makes it highly likely that he will also miss Uruguay's defence of their Copa America crown in Chile next summer.

But Valdez insists the Uruguay FA are not prepared to accept Fifa's decision. "We are preparing our appeal now, we have three days to do it," he said.

"It is an excessive decision and there was not enough evidence and I have seen more aggressive incidents recently.

"It is a severe punishment. I don't know exactly which arguments they used but it is a tough punishment for Suarez.

"It feels like Uruguay has been thrown out of the World Cup. We all know what Suarez means to Uruguay and to football around the world - not having Suarez would be a loss to any team."

Fifa also confirmed earlier on Thursday that any appeal from the Uruguay FA would not see the ban provisionally lifted to enable Suarez to face Colombia in the World Cup round of 16 at the Maracana on Saturday.

Muslera

Alfrescian
Loyal

Adidas 'fully support' Suarez ban

428757_heroa.jpg

By Mark Doyle
Jun 26, 2014 5:44:00 PM

The company say that they will be reminding the forward of "the high standards" the expect from their players and will not be using him for the remainder of the World Cup

Adidas have backed Fifa's decision to ban their client Luis Suarez from all football-related activity for four months after he was found guilty of biting Italy defender Giorgio Chiellini.

The Liverpool and Uruguay forward was hit with the suspension after world football's governing body ruled he had committed "assault" and "an act of unsurporting behaviour" during his country's crucial World Cup clash with the Azzurri on Tuesday.

Adidas have given no indication that they will end their working relationship with Suarez but they did disclose that they will not be using the 27-year-old in a promotional capacity for the remainder of the tournament in Brazil.

"Adidas fully supports Fifa's decision," a statement from the sports clothing company read.

"Adidas certainly does not condone Luis Suarez’s recent behaviour and we will again be reminding him of the high standards we expect from our players.

"We have no plan to use Suarez for any additional marketing activities during the 2014 Fifa World Cup."

It has already been reported that another of Suarez's sponsors, 888 Poker, are reviewing their deal with the forward, who has been banned twice before for biting an opponent.

The Uruguay Football Assosciation (AUF) have confirmed their international to challenge the suspension, which they believe is "excessive".

Muslera

Alfrescian
Loyal

USA 0-1 Germany: Muller makes the difference for die Mannschaft

429300_heroa.jpg

Jun 26, 2014 6:52:00 PM

Jurgen Klinsmann's side are through to the second round of the World Cup despite losing to Joachim Low's charges

USA progressed to the knockout stages of the World Cup despite going down 1-0 to Germany on Thursday.

Thomas Muller continued his phenomenal World Cup form to seal top spot for Germany in Group G, while Portugal's 2-1 win over Ghana in Brasilia meant the USA progressed on goal difference at the expense of Paulo Bento's men.

Bayern Munich forward Muller claimed the Golden Boot in South Africa four years ago and scored a hat-trick in Germany's emphatic 4-0 opening win over Portugal this time around.

And 10 minutes after half-time in a rain-lashed Recife, Muller netted superbly from 18 yards, chalking up his ninth finals goal.

A draw at the Arena Pernambuco would have ensured progression for Germany and USA regardless of events in the capital, but any fears of collusion were brushed aside by a keenly contested affair - which briefly appeared under threat earlier in the day as torrential rain flooded roads in the surrounding area.

Joachim Low handed Lukas Podolski a first start of the tournament on the left side of his attack and the Arsenal forward blazed over in the second minute, as Germany pinned back their opponents during the opening stages.

Omar Gonzalez, preferred at centre-back to Geoff Cameron by USA coach Jurgan Klinsmann, made a vital 14th-minute interception when Thomas Muller looked set to convert Jerome Boateng's low cross.

But the USA grew into the game as a counter-attacking force and Graham Zusi arched a shot narrowly over from the left corner of the box midway through the first half.

By the time Tim Howard shovelled a Mesut Ozil effort to safety in the 34th minute, following a shimmying run from the Arsenal man, a more even contest had developed, although that was at the expense of the earlier intensity.

At half-time Low introduced veteran striker Miroslav Klose, hunting for an outright claim to the all-time World Cup finals goal record following his equaliser against Ghana last Saturday.

Gonzalez produced another vital intervention in the 48th minute to stop Ozil heading Germany in front, while Klose was unable to adjust in time to convert Philipp Lahm's cross.

Pressure told in the 55th minute when Muller smashed home emphatically from the edge of the box after Howard had parried Per Mertesacker's header.

The USA visibly rallied as news of Asamoah Gyan's equaliser for Ghana filtered through - a victory for the African nation would have seen them progress on goals scored, pipping the States for a third tournament in succession.

But a late Cristiano Ronaldo goal ensured Klinsmann's side, who went close in stoppage time as Alejandro Bedoya saw a goal-bound shot blocked by Lahm and Clint Dempsey headed over, will face the winners of Group H in Salvador on Tuesday.

That appears likely to be Belgium, while Algeria, South Korea and Russia all remain in the hunt to face Germany 24 hours earlier in Porto Alegre.

GuillermoOchoa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Portugal 2-1 Ghana: Seleccao crash out despite win

429313_heroa.jpg

Jun 26, 2014 6:52:00 PM

Cristiano Ronaldo's winner secured all three points for Paulo Bento's men but it wasn't enough to see them through as they failed to overcome the goal difference deficit

Cristiano Ronaldo's goal saw Portugal beat Ghana 2-1 in Brasilia, but it proved futile as both sides crashed out of the World Cup.

Coming into the final Group G clash, both sides knew only victory would give them a chance of progressing to the second round, and even then they were dependent on the game between Germany and the United States, with a draw in Recife good enough to see those two teams through regardless of events in the capital.

Portugal, needing a five-goal swing to overtake the USA in second place, went in front after 30 minutes when Ghana defender John Boye's wild clearance from Miguel Veloso's cross diverted the ball over goalkeeper Fatawu Dauda and into the net.

Ghana responded in the second half, Asamoah Gyan's header making him the highest ever scorer for an African nation at World Cup finals, surpassing the mark of five set by Cameroon's Roger Milla.

With Germany beating the Americans 1-0 on Thursday, a 2-1 victory for Kwesi Appiah's men would have seen them through and Abdul Majeed Waris was guilty of a glaring miss shortly after Gyan's equaliser, nodding wide from close-range with no defenders around him.

They were left to rue that miss 10 minutes from time, Ronaldo firing home from 12 yards after a defensive mix-up between Jonathan Mensah and Dauda, the keeper flapping hopelessly at a high ball.

Portugal made four changes from the side that drew 2-2 with the United States, while Ghana started with two alterations, Waris and Emmanuel Agyemang-Badu coming in for Kevin-Prince Boateng and Sulley Muntari, suspended and sent home by the Ghanaian Football Association for alleged disciplinary breaches.

Ronaldo had the first effort of note in the fifth minute as his audacious lob from wide on the right caught out Dauda but struck the crossbar and rebounded to safety.

The Portugal captain threatened again seven minutes later, testing Dauda with a trademark dipping free-kick from 30 yards.

Ronaldo was at the forefront of all of Portugal's attacking play and ought to have put his side ahead in the 19th minute.

Joao Pereira delivered a pinpoint ball from the right and the Real Madrid man, unmarked six yards from goal, directed his header straight at Dauda, who parried away.

A minute later Ghana almost hit the front as Gyan was denied by the legs of Beto after the Portugal defence failed to deal with an aerial ball.

Portugal continued to make most of the running and got their noses in front on the half-hour mark, Boye slicing Veloso's cross from the left into the net via the bar and right-hand post.

Ronaldo brought another save out of Dauda two minutes later, while Gyan continued to pose a danger, heading wide after meeting Christian Atsu's cross.

After a quiet start to the second half Ghana equalised with 57 minutes gone, Gyan nodding home at the far post following a superb cross from Kwadwo Asamoah with the outside of his left foot.

Waris wasted a glorious chance to put Ghana in front four minutes later, somehow heading wide from six yards after being picked out by Gyan.

Ronaldo - relatively quiet throughout the tournament - ultimately had the final say as he lashed in a left-footed strike after Dauda feebly palmed Mensah's wayward header into his path, but it mattered little as both sides' hopes were dashed.

GuillermoOchoa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Modric: Lack of belief cost Croatia

428100_heroa.jpg

By Alex Fisher
Jun 26, 2014 5:18:00 PM

The Real Madrid player believes his team gave a good account of themselves overall, but a lack of confidence prevented them from reaching the knockout stages

Luka Modric has cited a "lack of belief" as the reason for Croatia's early exit from the World Cup.

An opening game defeat to hosts Brazil immediately put Niko Kovac's men on the back foot and, although they responded with a 4-0 win over Cameroon, they were unable to overcome Mexico to secure a place in the last-16.

Expectations within the squad had been high ahead of the finals but Mexico beat Niko Kovac's men 3-1 to claim the runners-up place in Group A and send Croatia home.

"We are disappointed, but what can we do?" Modric said. "Of course we were expecting to go to the next round.

"You have to have belief in yourself to go far [in a tournament], but we didn't show that on the pitch.

"I think we looked good in the first game against Brazil and in the second game [against Cameroon]. We had some good periods [against Mexico] but we weren't good enough."

Brazil and Mexico progressed from the group, with Croatia finishing in third spot.

GuillermoOchoa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Hasebe apologises to Japan fans after World Cup exit

428106_heroa.jpg

By James Willoughby
Jun 26, 2014 5:30:00 PM

The captain of the Asian champions has apologised and taken responsibility for his side’s unimpressive campaign in the sumer showpiece after they bowed out in the group stage

Japan captain Makoto Hasebe has apologised to the nation's supporters after the side bowed out of the World Cup at the group stage.

Asian champions Japan were tipped to do well in Group C but failed to win a match, with one draw and two defeats seeing them finish bottom behind Colombia, Greece and Cote d'Ivoire.

Coach Alberto Zaccheroni has resigned as a result and Hasebe says he feels responsible for Japan's exit, but is also proud of his side's efforts.

"In the football world, it's all about results," Hasebe told Fifa's official website.

"After four years of effort, we could not achieve positive results in the end. I feel responsible as the captain.

"I am proud of everyone in our team, not only including the players but also the coaching staff and of course, the manager.

"But, in the end, we could not get through the group stage.

"So I feel very sorry for all the supporters… in terms of the whole group stage in this World Cup, it was disappointing."

GuillermoOchoa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Galliani: Balotelli not to blame for Italy exit and will stay at AC Milan

429136_heroa.jpg

By Mark Doyle
Jun 26, 2014 6:40:00 PM

The Rossoneri vice-president has dismissed talk of a move to Arsenal for the enigmatic forward, who has been lambasted by the Italian press for his performances in Brazil

AC Milan CEO Adriano Galliani is stunned that Mario Balotelli is being blamed for Italy's early World Cup exit and says the Serie A side have no intention of letting the striker leave San Siro.

The 23-year-old attacker scored the winning goal in the Azzurri's tournament-opening 2-1 win over England but missed a golden opportunity in the shock loss Costa Rica before being replaced at half-time during the decisive defeat by Uruguay, after picking up a booking that ruled him out of any last-16 clash.

Balotelli has since come in for heavy criticism in the Italian press, while there have also been reports that some of his team-mates had turned against him by the end of his country's World Cup campaign.

Galliani, though, feels that it is wholly unfair to make Balotelli the scapegoat for the national team's failure to make it out of the group stage and completely dismissed reports that the club are considering cashing in on their most valuable asset by offloading him to Arsenal.

"Balotelli will remain at Milan," he told ANSA. "It does not sit well with me that it seems that the international team has lost because of Balotelli.

"Italy lost for many other reasons. Balotelli was the only striker who has scored a goal [at the World Cup, in a 2-1 win over England], while others have not had a shot on goal.

"I do not understand why you only talk about Balotelli. There was a coach, the technical staff and 22 other players: we have to talk about the collective.

"It seems now that the major disappointment was Balotelli.

"I do not understand this and do not want to really discuss it because I did not understand why the whole squad was not discussed."

Leona

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Missed opportunity for Ghana to banish 2010 World Cup heartbreak

429256_heroa.jpg

Jun 26, 2014 7:20:00 PM

COMMENT: The Black Stars came close to reaching the round of 16 against Portugal but will have to wait four more years for another chance after a campaign ruined by cash disputes
By Stefan Coerts in Brasilia

Ghana were incredibly close to reaching the World Cup semi-finals for the first time ever four years ago, yet Asamoah’s Gyan missed penalty against Uruguay eventually saw their dreams end in dramatic fashion.

This summer’s tournament in Brazil was the perfect way to make amends and banish the demons from memory. Things went differently, though.

With experienced players such as Asamoah Gyan, Kevin-Prince Boateng, Kwadwo Asamoah and Sulley Muntari, combined with talented youngsters like Christian Atsu and Abdul Majeed Waris, the Africans seemed to have the weapons at their disposal to challenge the world’s top nations.

Yet their tournament was marred by matters off the pitch that eventually saw them stumble at the first hurdle. Their opener against USA ended in a disappointing 2-1 loss as they failed to take their chances, making a round of 16 spot a seemingly impossible mission with games against Germany and Portugal coming up.

A 2-2 draw against Joachim Low’s side combined with Portugal’s draw versus USA with the same scoreline on matchday two got them back in contention, though.

A win by two goals over Portugal at the Estadio Mane Garrincha on Thursday would have been enough, so long as Germany would defeat USA. Low’s men did what they had to do. Ghana, however, failed to keep their end of the deal – and they only have themselves to blame.

Rather than focus on the game ahead, Ghana’s players threatened to boycott the crucial encounter with Portugal if they did not receive their appearance fees before kick-off.

Their threat prompted the Ghanaian government to fly in a plane with $3 million in cash in an attempt to solve the matter, but the damage was already done.

The pre-match press conference was all about money, not the decisive World Cup game ahead. Focus was gone and things only got worse as kick-off approached.

After previously stressing the issue he had with Kevin-Prince Boateng had been resolved, head coach Kwesi Appiah decided to send home the Schalke man on Thursday morning from out of nowhere, just hours before one of the country’s most important games ever. The spat between Boateng and Appiah was not the only distraction before the match versus Portugal, though, as Sulley Muntari was sent home as well after allegedly attacking a team official.

Needless to say, the Ghana players were unable to shake off what had happened in the build-up to the game. Despite a strong spell in the second half, Portugal proved to be too strong over 90 minutes, recording a 2-1 win to end the Black Stars’ World Cup dream.

Thursday’s events off the pitch are bound to have consequences for the men involved and it’s not out of the question that several players will retire from international duty after a disappointing tournament.

Ghana will have to wait four more years for another chance to make an impact at the biggest stage, but they have already missed out on a huge opportunity to go far at the World Cup. That chance was now.

|Hulk|

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

10 Reasons Suarez Bites People

Posted: 25/06/2014

So Suarez's recent case of the munchies suggest that he really wants a bite out of the World Cup pie. We have a few ideas on where his recent biting-binge might be coming from.

3ae1d01c-bef7-48d2-8a9f-1726fc8c07a3.png

This is the least cute or funny time a dog has run on to the pitch and caused havoc. Last night Uruguay's Luis Suárez bit Italian defender Giorgio Chiellini on the shoulder, the referee didn't see it, and Uruguay eventually won 1-0, knocking the Italians out and proceeding to the next round of the World Cup. But his reputation now lies in tatters and faces a lengthy retrospective ban.

4759b3e5-adb0-42da-b444-d10294791932.gif

You see it's not the first time Suárez has bitten a player on the field. In fact there is now a whole website dedicated to the quantity of people who he's taken a chunk out of. His first bite came whilst playing at Ajax in Holland in 2010, and he was suspended for seven games for biting PSV Eindhoven's Otman Bakkal on the shoulder.

<center>
b144620c-245a-4753-a75f-e72a45bbc6ed.gif

While playing for Liverpool in 2013, he was suspended for 10 games for biting Chelsea's Branislov Ivanovic on the arm.

</center><center>
e57ec89f-3761-4452-a49d-14cfbb16629e.gif

But the question is why? Why does Suarez insist on biting other players? We speculate...

1 - It's a match fixing scandal. A Norweigan fan just won £500 after betting £3 on Luis Suarez biting a player at World Cup. Suarez may have been in cahoots with him.

</center><center>
94bdd0be-085c-44d6-8c79-20fd1724933c.jpg

2 - He was a dog in a past life

</center><center>
2c3c217d-b05b-4f98-88e4-40c6eb4a0a7b.jpg

3 - He's a cannibal and what better place to get a taste of the finest International cuisine than at the World Cup?
</center>

<center>
e48c112e-92cb-4c4b-8e7a-dbd32ae66210.jpg

4 - He's a vampire.
</center>

<center>
a0f68d44-a747-4a5e-9f0e-bc24c37f6a63.jpg

5 - He's teething.
</center>

<center>
4d25f546-9a05-451c-bd55-c43dea832515.jpg

6 - He's a big Mike Tyson fan.

</center><center>
2febe56b-e814-46f8-a245-09b890e4ffb2.jpg

7 - He is in love with the victims and is simply trying to give them hickies.
</center>

<center>
1f76d879-237e-4e72-b565-4ffab7ee8e64.jpg

8 - He played too much Pacman as a kid

</center><center>
33793ce9-217a-4c24-9b02-c6caf54b515f.png

9 - Uruguay FA aren't feeding the players well enough.
</center>

<center>
4d7a59bf-dfee-47ab-bea7-bc753298c8a3.jpg

</center>
10 - He's just trying to lose his marker...

<center>
709cde9d-97d4-4c94-9dc7-40ef584a21c4.jpg

</center>

GuillermoOchoa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Algeria 1-1 Russia: Slimani goal puts North Africans through

429407_heroa.jpg

Jun 26, 2014 10:47:00 PM

A second-half header has made history for Vahid Halilhodzic's side, who reach the knockout stage for the first time

Algeria did enough to secure a place in the last 16 of the World Cup by holding Russia to a 1-1 draw.

An early header from Alexandr Kokorin gave Fabio Capello's men the initiative, but Islam Slimani struck the decisive blow in the second period as Igor Akinfeev failed to make contact with a cross into the box.

Famously eliminated at the finals in Spain 32 years ago when West Germany and Austria played out a mutually beneficial 1-0 scoreline to send the north African side out, Algeria put the record straight in Curitiba on Thursday.

Coming into the Group H clash, Algeria knew a draw would likely be enough to seal qualification - barring a heavy victory for South Korea over Belgium - whereas Russia required a win to advance.

That result looked to be on the cards when Fabio Capello's men went in front as early as the sixth minute, as Aleksandr Kokorin headed home Dmitri Kombarov's pin-point delivery.

Russia looked comfortable with their advantage until the hour mark, when Igor Akinfeev - who made a horrible mistake in conceding during the 1-1 draw with South Korea - failed to make a connection with Yacine Brahimi's set-piece delivery and Islam Slimani converted from six yards.

Having qualified in second place behind Belgium - who beat South Korea 1-0 - Algeria will now take on Germany in Porto Alegre on Monday in the last 16.

Both sides made one change from their previous outing, Essaid Belkalem replacing Madjid Bougherra for Algeria while Capello called up Aleksandr Kerzhakov in place of Maxim Kanunnikov.
Action areas
Algeria v. RussiaPossession21.6﹪54.2﹪24.2﹪44.3﹪55.7﹪

Kokorin, whose place in the starting XI had been the subject of discussion in the build-up to the game, gave Russia a dream start when he rose to head Kombarov's perfect left-wing cross into the top corner.

Russia continued to have the better of the play and Oleg Shatov went close in the 26th minute with a swerving drive from distance that drifted narrowly wide of the right-hand post.

Algeria tested Akinfeev for the first time in the 30th minute, the goalkeeper flying high to his left to tip Slimani's header over the crossbar.

Slimani tried his luck with another header two minutes before the interval, but this time his effort lacked power and was comfortably held by Akinfeev.

Aleksandr Samedov went close to doubling Russia's tally shortly after the resumption, but Rais M'Bolhi raced from his line to deny the midfielder.

That save proved crucial as, on the hour-mark, Akinfeev came to palm away Brahimi's free-kick but was beaten to the ball by Slimani, who nodded into an empty net.

Kerzhakov tested M'Bolhi 10 minutes later as Russia pressed to regain the lead, but the keeper got down well to his right to smother the well-struck shot.

Although Russia saw a lot of the ball in the final stages, they were unable to breakdown a stubborn defensive line as Algeria celebrated a landmark achievement.