• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

☆☆☆ FIFA World Cup 2014 ☆☆☆

GuillermoOchoa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Lamouchi leaves Cote d'Ivoire job following World Cup exit

423314_heroa.jpg

By Robin Bairner in Fortaleza
Jun 25, 2014 12:06:00 AM

The 42-year-old Frenchman has revealed that he will leave the African outfit after they bowed out of Brazil with a 2-1 defeat to Greece

Sabri Lamouchi has revealed that he will not extend his contract as Cote d'Ivoire coach following their disappointing results at the 2014 World Cup.

The African side were beaten 2-1 by Greece on Tuesday to see their tournament come to a premature end and Lamouchi has consequently decided to leave his post.

Cote d'Ivoire had started the tournament with a 2-1 win over Japan, but a 2-1 defeat versus Colombia on matchday two meant they needed at least a draw against Greece in their last group stage game.

However, a Georgios Samaras penalty well into stoppage time denied Lamouchi's men, prompting the 42-year-old to say farewell to Cote d'Ivoire.

"My story with Cote d'Ivoire will stop here. It was a great honour to represent this great football country. The Greeks deserved their win, but we would have had an achievement if the match had stopped a minute earlier," a frustrated Lamouchi said at the post-match press conference.

"It's a lot of disappointment and frustration for me. The squad has made huge sacrifices and huge efforts. I'm very sad for them and for the Ivorian players individually.

"I have a future, I have a career ahead of me, I'm sure I'll have a result, but I wish this match had ended in another way."

Lamouchi had been in charge of Cote d'Ivoire since 2012.

GuillermoOchoa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Ronaldo is ready to play, claims Portugal team doctor

427533_heroa.jpg

By Andrew Wychrij
Jun 24, 2014 10:13:00 PM

Henrique Jones has calmed concerns over the Real Madrid star's fitness, insisting that he is in better physical condition than when he arrived in Brazil

Portugal national team doctor Henrique Jones was upbeat on the fitness of Cristiano Ronaldo and is confident the forward will face Ghana.

Ronaldo has been struggling with a knee problem throughout the World Cup so far but has completed 90 minutes in both his side's group games to date.

Despite concerns that the 29-year-old Real Madrid forward could aggravate the injury by playing, Jones has dismissed these worries and believes that there is obvious improvement in his condition.
"He is better than when he arrived in the national team set-up," the Portugal team doctor told Publico.

"In medical terms I do not know if he is 100 per cent, but is clinically he is well and is able to compete. He has a little discomfort because of the tendinitis he suffered, but the rest is fine."

Paulo Bento's side have struggled with injuries since arriving at the World Cup, with left-back Fabio Coentrao ruled out of the tournament after the 4-0 defeat to Germany with a thigh problem and Rui Patricio and Hugo Almeida also suffering fitness scares.

According to Jones, these problems were to be expected due to Portuguese players experiencing a high number of fitness issues over the season and the difficulty of recovery in the Brazilian heat.

"Two-thirds of our players have had a very full season of injuries," Jones explained.

"We had tests that ensured they were fit but we have 12 athletes with muscle injuries during the season and we always had to be on top of the medical departments of the clubs.

"The weather should not scare anyone. The weather conditions are not so severe as to limit the consistency of the players. There is a performance problem, but a problem of the recovery effort, which will be greater."

Portugal face Ghana in their final group-stage game on Thursday, needing a win to stand a chance of progressing.

GuillermoOchoa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Keshi and Nigeria out to spoil Messi's party

426767_heroa.jpg

By Lolade Adewuyi in Porto Alegre
Jun 24, 2014 5:49:00 PM

The four-time Ballon d'Or winner turned 27 on Tuesday, but the Super Eagles are determined to put a spanner in the works of his celebrations

Nigeria coach Stephen Keshi has sent Lionel Messi a message of goodwill but revealed he is determined to bring a halt to the Argentina star's birthday party.

The Super Eagles need just a point on Wednesday to reach the second round for the first time in 16 years, and they could still qualify with a defeat should Iran fail to beat Bosnia in the other Group F encounter.

Standing in their way, though, is an in-form Messi, who has scored in each of his side's group stage games and celebrated his 27th birthday on Tuesday.

“My team and I want to wish him a very happy birthday. We want to wish him a healthy long life, all his heart’s desires,” Keshi said.

“If there is a way to stop him, it is something that I will share with my players and coaches.”

Nigeria could be boosted by the support of thousands of Brazil fans determined to see arch-rivals Argentina beaten, and Keshi admitted he would be thankful for any additional support.

“We’re here to play, if we have the support of the Brazilians we will appreciate it. But we are not looking at that, we are just here to win our game,” he told journalists.

Goalkeeper Vincent Enyeama also praised the player but pointed out that Messi isn't the only threat across Argentina's star-studded frontline.

“He’s one of the best players in the world and has made a lot of progress since the last time we met,” Enyeama said.

“It might not be a game between him and me, it’s going to be Nigeria against Argentina. There are other players like [Sergio] Aguero and [Angel] Di Maria.

“I watch tapes of opponents, I have done that. We have studied their tapes, their strengths and weaknesses.”

Nigeria are waiting to see if defender Godfrey Oboabona is fit enough after he returned to training having picked up an injury against Iran.

GuillermoOchoa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Vidal: Chile need a balanced referee against Brazil

427438_heroa.jpg

By Rupert Fryer
Jun 24, 2014 7:33:00 PM

The Roja midfielder was disappointed by the officiating as his side went down 2-0 to Netherlands on Monday and is hoping to see better officiating in their last 16 showdown

Chile midfielder Arturo Vidal says he is hoping to see a balanced refereeing display when his side take on Brazil in the last 16 of the World Cup.

Host nation Brazil got the rub of the green in a number of controversial incidents in their opener against Croatia and benefited from a Fred goal that was borderline offside in their 4-1 victory over Cameroon on Monday.

Chile, meanwhile, were unhappy with the refereeing during their 2-0 defeat at the hands of the Netherlands and Vidal says the officiating could have a big say on who progresses to the quarter-finals.

"We were a bit unhappy with how the match went against the Netherlands," Vidal told AS.

"We had the ball and we did everything right, but we didn't get any luck. The refereeing was not balanced. The refereeing in the last 16 will be important."

Vidal underwent minor knee surgery last month and sat out the defeat to Netherlands, but said on Monday that he would be back in Jorge Sampaoli's side for the clash with Brazil on June 28.

Chile have progressed to the knockout stage of the World Cup on three previous occasions. Each time they were eliminated by Brazil: 1962 saw them defeated in the semi-final while 1998 and 2010 saw them go down to the Selecao in the last 16.

GuillermoOchoa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Fifa open disciplinary proceedings after Suarez bite incident

428447_heroa.jpg

Jun 25, 2014 7:00:00 AM

The Liverpool forward could be suspended for up to two years if found guilty and has until Wednesday afternoon to put together a case in his defence

Fifa has opened disciplinary proceedings against Luis Suarez following the Uruguayan's bite on Italy centre-back Giorgio Chiellini.

The Liverpool striker, who has previously been embroiled in two biting controversies, seemingly leant into Chiellini and bit his shoulder, with the Juventus man keen to point a mark on his skin out to the referee.

And after announcing on Tuesday evening that they would look replays of the altercation, the world's governing body has deemed the incident serious enough to take forward.

A statement read: "Fifa can confirm that disciplinary proceedings have been opened against the player Luis Suarez of Uruguay following an apparent breach of art. 48 and/or art. 57 of the Fifa Disciplinary Code during the 2014 Fifa World Cup Brazil match Italy-Uruguay played on 24 June 2014.

"The player and/or the Uruguayan FA are invited to provide with their position and any documentary evidence they deem relevant until 25 June 2014, 5pm, Brasilia time.

"According to art. 77 lit. a of the Fifa Disciplinary Code (FDC), the Fifa Disciplinary Committee is responsible for sanctioning serious infringements which have escaped the match officials’ attention. Furthermore, according to art. 96 of the FDC, any type of proof may be produced (par. 1), in particular are admissible, reports from referees, declarations from the parties and witnesses, material evidence, audio or video recordings (par. 3)."

If found guilty, Suarez will almost certainly miss the rest of the World Cup, and could receive a ban of up to 24 matches or two years, which could affect his club career as well as international football.

GuillermoOchoa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Switzerland boss Hitzfeld: No special plan for Manaus conditions

428556_heroa.jpg

By Sam Lee in Manaus
Jun 25, 2014 1:29:00 AM

The former Bayern Munich boss is not concerned by the increased heat and humidity involved in playing in the Amazon in the afternoon and insists his side will not play for a draw

Switzerland coach Ottmar Hitzfeld insists his side will not employ a special gameplan to deal with the high temperature in Manaus during their key match against Honduras on Wednesday.

The game in the Amazonian capital will take place at 16:00 local time, two hours earlier than the three previous matches in the city.

The heat and humidity is profoundly higher earlier in the afternoon, and the Honduran players are well acclimatised to such high temperatures.

But both Hitzfeld and right-back Stephan Lichtsteiner are not overly concerned.

"We are prepared for the Manaus weather conditions, that’s why we came early to Brazil to prepare, we were in Sao Paulo and Salvador," he said.

"We are well prepared. Honduras are a fast team, they have a good attack, they play long passes, are well organised in defence and midfield, they have technical players, and this is why tomorrow we will try to implement our philosophy on the game.

"I'm not going to change my tactics because of the weather but I will not reveal my strategy ahead of tomorrow."

And Lichsteiner, who plays for Serie A champions Juventus, added: @The humidity is different, it's a bit special, in Italy it is not as extreme, but we get the high temperatures. We will adapt, it is a very important match, we had many tips from our staff so we are very well prepared."

A draw could put Switzerland into the last 16 should Group E leaders France beat Ecuador in the other match, but Hitzfeld insists he will go for victory.

"We want to go out and win, we won't play for a draw. That's not our mind-set."

Honduras can also qualify from the group but will need to win by a three-goal margin and hope France also win by a comfortable scoreline.

ufc want to come here. Jose Aldo is a local champion

15 yrs to pay back stadium debt in full, coming out of R$1bn federal reserve and could impact hospitals.The humidity is different, it’s a bit special, in Italy it is not as extreme, but we get the high temperatures. We will adapt, it is a very important match, we had many tips from our staff so we are very well prepared.

GuillermoOchoa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Honda apologises for Japan failure

428498_heroa.jpg

By Stefan Coerts
Jun 25, 2014 1:20:00 AM

The AC Milan midfielder feels sorry they have been unable to live up the high expectations, while Alberto Zaccheroni was disappointed too

Keisuke Honda has offered his apologies for Japan's disappointing World Cup campaign after they crashed out at the group stage following defeats against Cote d'Ivoire and Colombia, and a draw against Greece.

The AC Milan midfielder claimed ahead of the tournament that they had what it takes to go all the way and win the tournament, yet Japan eventually had to settle for fourth place in Group C with just one point from three games.

"It's incredibly disappointing, but this is the reality," Honda told TV Asahi.

"I said we could win the title and I'm sorry we couldn't back that up. We'll take time to reflect."

Head coach Alberto Zaccheroni, meanwhile, was equally disappointed with Japan's exit and felt they deserved more in their final group game against Colombia, which ended in a 4-1 defeat.

"It's incredibly disappointing. We played well against Colombia and we could have done more," Zaccheroni stated.

"We wanted to score the first goal but Colombia's counterattacks were incredibly good. We weren't able to finish our chances, but it was a good match.

"I'm satisfied with how we played, but we weren't lucky. Our opponents were very good."

It's the third time in five World Cup appearances that Japan have crashed out in the group stages.

GuillermoOchoa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Costa Rica are ready for any opponent, insists Pinto

428341_heroa.jpg

By Stefan Coerts
Jun 25, 2014 1:01:00 AM

The 61-year-old is optimistic about his side's chances of making it to the quarter-finals and feels the match versus England was an even game

Costa Rica coach Jorge Luis Pinto has stressed that the Group D winners will be ready for any opponent in the World Cup knockout phase.

Pinto's men will meet Greece in the round of 16 after Fernando Santos' side snatched second spot in Group C with a last-minute winner against Cote d'Ivoire.

"I'm delighted we've topped the group. We are prepared to face whoever comes and we will face them with great confidence," he said at at a press conference after his side's scoreless draw against England on Tuesday.

"Our potential rivals from Group D will be difficult as they're experienced, but we'll approach them as we have been doing.

"We're a well-balanced team with good tactics."

Costa Rica retained their unbeaten status against England after earlier victories over Uruguay and Italy and Pinto feels Tuesday's encounter was an even game.

"It was an even game today against an opponent who was looking for its first win."

Costa Rica last made it to the round of 16 in 1990 and will take on Greece while Group D runners-up Uruguay prepare to meet Colombia.

GuillermoOchoa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Zuniga: Uruguay are strong even without Suarez

418284_heroa.jpg

Jun 25, 2014 1:00:00 AM

The South Americans are due to clash in round of 16 but Suarez could be banned pending the result of a Fifa investigation into an incident involving Giorgio Chiellini
By Peter Staunton in Cuiaba

Uruguay could well be without Luis Suarez for their World Cup last 16 tie against Colombia as the striker faces a Fifa investigation into an alleged biting incident involving Italy's Giorgio Chiellini, but Juan Camilo Zuniga says that even without the Liverpool man Uruguay will provide formidable opposition.

Suarez could face a two-year ban by Fifa as video evidence can be used in the investigation against him. Nonetheless with Edinson Cavani and Diego Forlan also in the Uruguayan ranks, Zuniga believes a threat remains.

"We know that even without Suarez they have players who can make the difference," Zuniga told Goal. "They have have forwards who play very well. When they have the ball and you give them a little bit of space they can take advantage."

Colombia face Uruguay on Saturday in the Maracana and Zuniga believes that Uruguay's defeats of England and Italy show that they are still a force to be reckoned with.

"We know it's going to be a very difficult game," he said. "They won their last game against Italy and they put in a lot of courage. They are the type of team that when they need to win they win.

"However, we are preparing well for this game. We know it's not easy but we go on. We are thinking only about working well in these next two or three days ahead of this important game."

Team-mate Fredy Guarin stressed that until such time thatg Suarez was ruled out then all eventualities must be considered.

"We don't know if he's suspended yet," he told Goal. Until he is ruled out then we prepare for everything. The important thing is to prepare whether he is in the squad or not."

Colombia defeated Japan 4-1 in their final Group C game in Cuiaba to finish on a maximum nine points. The goals came through Juan Cuadrado, James Rodriguez and a double from Jackson Martinez.

GuillermoOchoa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Samaras: I don’t remember my winning penalty

428536_heroa.jpg

By Robin Bairner
Jun 25, 2014 12:49:00 AM

The Greece striker admits his mind went blank as he swept home a last-gasp spot-kick to send his side into the World Cup knockout phase

Greece striker Giorgios Samaras has admitted that his mind went blank when taking what proved to be the decisive penalty against Cote d'Ivoire.

The out-of-contract forward won a spot-kick in stoppage time, with the score poised at 1-1, and fired his effort past Boubacar Barry to seal the three points his side needed to reach the last 16 of the World Cup.

Samaras has admitted that he has no memory of the dramatic events, telling reporters: "I don't remember anything. It's a blackout. I was totally focused on putting the ball in the net.

"I don't know about the role of luck in this match, but we played better than Cote d'Ivoire. I think we had chances to finish the match, but the woodwork thought otherwise. We never stopped believing we can qualify until the last minute."

Greece now face Costa Rica in the last 16, and he hopes that progression to the knockout stages of the competition for the first time will give supporters back in Europe a lift.

"I'm really proud of the team and I'm really proud of what we did, and I hope we give some joy and happiness to the people back home."

GuillermoOchoa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Argentina have an overdependence on Messi - Sabella

426987_heroa.jpg

By Andrew Wychrij
Jun 25, 2014 12:36:00 AM

The Albiceleste boss admits that his side have a natural tendency to rely on the Barcelona forward and need to show more as a team in their clash with Nigeria

Alejandro Sabella believes that his Argentina side need to learn to depend less on Lionel Messi and also look to improve on recent displays when they face Nigeria.

The 27-year-old attacker has scored in both Group F games so far, netting sublime winners in both the 2-1 victory over Bosnia-Herzegovina and the 1-0 win over Iran.

However, head coach Sabella conceded that his team need to show some improvement on those performances and acknowledged that his players must look beyond Messi to win matches.

"Every time you have a player like Messi, there is of course overdependence," the 59-year-old told a press conference.

"We try to reduce that but you have to depend on him. I guess this is normal pressure for a player and we try to reduce the pressure on him by playing together.

"Leo has played very well in the national team in Argentina and the friendly matches we have played outside. In these two matches he has been good. He is venerated in Argentina and he has deserved the veneration.

"We have to improve in the group, we need a little more mobility to find the spaces.

"Team problems can't be discussed publicly as a matter of respect for the group. I think we are improving little by little and we need trust and confidence."

The Albiceleste will face Nigeria in their final group game on Wednesday and Sabella insisted that the Super Eagles, who go into the game after defeating Bosnia-Herzegovina 1-0, will pose a real threat given their speed in attack.

"Every time that we have won against Nigeria, we have scored with set-pieces. They are a difficult opponent to play," he continued.

"I see a fast team, attacking swiftly whether [Peter] Odewmwingie or [Ahmed] Musa plays.

"We know about [Emmanuel] Emenike and the physical strength he has. We know that generally the Africans are very fast. They have this way of playing that you always have to watch out when they get the ball into the attack. It is a team that is very fast."

GuillermoOchoa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

World Cup 2014: Armed police step in to quell trouble between England yobs and Brazil fans at Estadio Mineirão

Troublemakers douse supporters with beer as armed military police officers have to intervene to separate English and Brazilian fans

yobs_2953493b.jpg

Act of aggression: England fans disrupt the game by throwing beer and have to be separated by police Photo: GETTY IMAGES

By Gordon Rayner, Chief Reporter, in Belo Horizonte
10:11PM BST 24 Jun 2014

Crowd trouble marred England's final World Cup game against Costa Rica as armed military police officers had to intervene to separate English and Brazilian fans here.

A scuffle broke out in the upper tier of the Estadio Mineirão when a group of bare-chested England supporters began throwing paper cups of beer towards the pitch, and soaking spectators below them in the process.

Stewards quickly moved in to form a barrier between the two sets of fans, and within seconds around 30 military police, some carrying riot shields and others pump-action shotguns, had arrived to prevent the situation escalating.

The ugly scenes 20 minutes from the end of a drawn match for Roy Hodgson's team were the closest hooliganism has come to returning among the ranks of England followers during the World Cup.

One fan was pictured making what appeared to be a Nazi salute, while others chanted defiantly towards the military police.

Like other World Cup stadiums, the Estadio Mineirão has no physical barriers separating fans, though England and Costa Rica supporters who had bought tickets through official channels were kept at opposite ends of the pitch.

The fans who caused the trouble are thought to be among several thousand who bought tickets locally, meaning they were in a mixed area populated mainly by supporters from the host country.

After the final whistle a group of fans continued to goad the police when they were told to leave their seats.

Chief Supt Rachel Barber, the Silver Commander of the British police delegation in Brazil, said: "We are aware of a minor incident involving a group of fans near the segregation line who were reluctant to leave the stadium at the end of the match.

"The matter was dealt with swiftly by the Brazilian military police and we have not been made aware of any arrests having taken place."

British police have clamped down on hooliganism at this and other tournaments by preventing fans with a history of violence from leaving the UK during the World Cup.

A team of seven British police officers, including "spotters" who look out for known troublemakers, have been stationed in Brazil during the World Cup to advise local police as well as patrolling in uniform outside the grounds to act as a deterrent and to help and reassure well-behaved supporters.

GuillermoOchoa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Bite set to eat into Suarez's sponsorship cash

By Keith Weir
CURITIBA Brazil Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:23pm BST

r

Uruguay's Luis Suarez reacts after clashing with Italy's Giorgio Chiellini during their 2014 World Cup Group D soccer match at the Dunas arena in Natal June 24, 2014. REUTERS/Tony Gentile

(Reuters) - Luis Suarez risks losing lucrative commercial deals following his bite on a World Cup opponent, with poker brand 888 saying on Wednesday it was reviewing its sponsorship agreement with the Uruguayan.

Suarez, who plays for Liverpool in the English Premier League, became one of the online gambling company's brand ambassadors ahead of the World Cup last month.

Suarez also has an endorsement deal with German sportswear company Adidas and one of its adverts feature a picture of Suarez baring his teeth.

Adidas said it would respond to the latest controversy involving Suarez once FIFA had investigated it.

Suarez bit Italy defender Giorgio Chiellini on the shoulder during his country's 1-0 win on Tuesday. Twice previously banned for biting, Suarez looks likely to be hit with another lengthy suspension despite escaping punishment during the match.

Online gambling company 888 moved quickly to distance itself from the player.

"Following the allegations made against Luis Suarez in regards to his behaviour during Uruguay’s World Cup match against Italy, 888poker is seriously reviewing its relationship with the player as we will not tolerate any unsporting behaviour," 888poker said in a statement on Wednesday.

The company displayed the statement prominently on its website, above earlier content praising Suarez for his "extraordinary" achievements in soccer.

Sponsors include termination clauses in contracts that they can use if an athlete brings a brand into disrepute.

Adidas, which is battling Nike for supremacy in the soccer kit market, was careful not to condemn Suarez before FIFA had decided what action to take over the bite.

"Adidas is aware of the issue involving Luis Suarez. We await FIFA's full investigation into this matter and will respond accordingly," the company said in a statement.

Suarez is one of the top soccer players who have been advertising the fashionable Beats brand of headphones.

Although the bite has created headaches for companies who work with Suarez, others have used the outrage to generate free publicity for their brands with instant campaigns on social media based on puns and jokes.

(Editing by Ed Osmond)

GuillermoOchoa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

European campaign against Suarez, lawyer says

By Malena Castaldi
MONTEVIDEO Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:49pm BST

r

Uruguay's Luis Suarez reacts after clashing with Italy's Giorgio Chiellini during their 2014 World Cup Group D soccer match at the Dunas arena in Natal June 24, 2014. REUTERS/Tony Gentile

(Reuters) - Luis Suarez's lawyer believes there is a European campaign against the controversial striker, who on Wednesday was preparing his defence after being accused of biting an Italy defender during Uruguay's 1-0 win at the World Cup.

"We don't have any doubts that this has happened because it's Suarez and secondly because Italy was eliminated," said Uruguay FA board member Alejandro Balbi, who is also Suarez's lawyer.

"There's a lot of pressure from England and Italy," Balbi told local Uruguayan radio. "We’re polishing off a defence argument."

Soccer's world governing body is investigating the incident during Tuesday's Group D match in Natal which has made headlines around the world. Uruguay's win took them through to the last 16 where they will face Colombia on Saturday.

Balbi and FA boss Wilmar Valdez were travelling to Rio de Janeiro on Wednesday morning to present their case. Valdez told local radio that Suarez would not be speaking at the meeting.

Suarez, twice previously banned for biting, could be hit with another lengthy suspension despite escaping punishment during the match for the incident involving Italy defender Giorgio Chiellini.

"There is a possibility that they ban him, because there are precedents, but we're convinced that it was an absolutely casual play, because if Chiellini can show a scratch on one shoulder, Suarez can show a bruised and almost shut eye," Balbi said.

"If every player starts showing the injuries he suffers and they open inquiries for them everything will be way too complicated in the future. We’re going to use all the arguments possible so that Luis gets out in the best possible way.”

His argument echoes the sentiment in much of Uruguay, which is jubilant at the team's last-gasp victory and largely backs their key player.

The Liverpool forward's lethal finishing is far more important than his straying teeth, say many in the small, sleepy agricultural country vying for a third World Cup triumph.

Local media gushed about the victory over Italy and put the "supposed" bite on the backburner.

Abroad, however, Suarez's behaviour has sparked outrage and calls for a tournament-long ban.

Balbi suggested that may be part of a broader conspiracy to sideline Uruguay, who lost to unfancied Costa Rica in their opening match without Suarez as he battled to complete his recovery from knee surgery.

"You shouldn’t forget that we're rivals of many and we can be for the organiser (hosts Brazil) in the future. This does not go against what might have happened, but there’s no doubt that Suarez is a rock in the shoe for many," Balbi added.

(Writing by Alexandra Ulmer; editing by Ken Ferris)

GuillermoOchoa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

FIFA working as fast as possible on Suarez

RIO DE JANEIRO Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:32pm BST

r

Uruguay's national soccer team player Luis Suarez arrives at a news conference prior a training session at the Dunas Arena soccer stadium in Natal, June 23, 2014. REUTERS/Carlos Barria

(Reuters) - FIFA will work as quickly as possible in its investigation into Uruguayan striker Luis Suarez who apparently bit an Italian defender in a World Cup match on Tuesday, the world soccer governing body said.

"The Disciplinary Committee understands the urgency of the matter," FIFA spokeswoman Delia Fischer told reporters on Wednesday.

"It is working to get and assess all elements in order to make a decision as early as possible, particularly given the fact that Uruguay are still in the tournament."

Uruguay are due to play Colombia on Saturday in Rio de Janeiro in the first knock-out round.

Italy's Giorgio Chiellini said on Tuesday that he had been bitten by Suarez during the South Americans' 1-0 Group D victory at the World Cup which sent Uruguay into the last 16 of the competition at the expense of Italy.

Reuters photographs showed what appeared to be bite marks on Chiellini's shoulder.

Fischer said the Disciplinary Committee's proceedings were still at "an early stage" and she said FIFA would not comment on possible outcomes or any potential punishments for Suarez.

"We will get an update to you later today or tomorrow or whenever they take their decision," she said.

The Disciplinary Committee has asked Uruguay to send documentation relating to the case by 5pm local (09.00 p.m. BST) on Wednesday.

(Reporting by William Schomberg, editing by Ed Osmond)

GuillermoOchoa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Milla calls for loyal Cameroon locals to be picked

By Tansa Musa
YAOUNDE Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:05pm BST

r

Former Cameroon soccer player Roger Milla attends a news conference during his meeting with young Kenyan players in the capital Nairobi, May 10, 2010. REUTERS/Noor Khamis

(Reuters) - Former Cameroon striker Roger Milla has called for more home-based players to be called up to future squads because he said those playing in Europe were only interested in money.

Milla, whose record as the oldest man to play at a World Cup finals was broken by 43-year-old Colombia goalkeeper Faryd Mondragon on Tuesday, also called for Cameroon's German coach Volker Finke to be sacked.

Cameroon lost all three of their Group A matches in Brazil, the second successive World Cup in which they failed to win any points.

"If our national team is performing so badly it is not because we lack good players. Our problem is poor management," Milla told local media.

"For me, I think instead of a foreigner, it is high time our government should recruit somebody based in the country and (who) knows local players very well, who are more patriotic, and will work hard to defend our national interests and boost the image of our country as some of us did when we were playing.

The Cameroon squad's departure for the finals in Brazil was preceded by a strike over bonus payments.

"We did not focus much on what we earn like the players of today. Our main ambition was to boost the image of the country," said Milla.

"That is why each time we were playing any international match here at the national stadium, many football fans would come and cheer us on to win the match.

"But today you don't see many people at the stadium again as was the case during our days,” said Milla, who as a 42-year-old scored at the 1994 World Cup finals.

Half of the Cameroon squad arrived home from Brazil on Wednesday to a low key reception amid tight security.

The rest of the party, including Finke, are understood to have flown directly back to Europe or stayed on in Brazil.

(Writing by Mark Gleeson in Salvador; Editing by Ken Ferris)

GuillermoOchoa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Asian power Japan suffer reality check on global stage

AFP
June 26, 2014, 2:39 am

47df45a417ef528c1e6f015926c2d8a6c3449916-19qlv6a.jpg

Cuiabá (Brazil) (AFP) - Regional bully boys or serious contenders on the international stage? Where do Japan stand in the global football pecking order after a limp display in Brazil sees them packing their bags early?

The Blue Samurai were the first nation to qualify for Brazil and came into the tournament full of confidence after topping their Asian qualifying group ahead of fellow regional power Australia.

Alberto Zaccheroni's men also won their three friendly matches in the run-up to the World Cup, even if one of those was a narrow victory against lowly Cyprus.

But when the action started in earnest in Brazil they were found wanting, struggling to impose their passing game on their opponents and looking toothless in front of goal, finishing rock bottom of Group C.

After taking the lead against Ivory Coast in their opening match, Japan succumbed to a Didier Drogba-inspired recovery from the Africans.

A 0-0 stalemate followed against Euro 2004 champions Greece and a 4-1 defeat -- despite an encouraging first half -- against Colombia on Tuesday put the seal on a miserable competition that left coach Zaccheroni scratching his head.

The veteran Italian said Japan, 46th in the FIFA rankings, had not managed to play the type of possession and pressing game they had produced so often over the past four years.

But he remained adamant that despite the chastening experience in Brazil, his side's best football enabled them to compete with the top nations, even if they struggle to match up physically with more powerful opponents.

"As we showed today, especially in the first half, even against strong opposition I think we were able to show that when we play with intensity as we normally do, then we are able to generate opportunities to win," he said.

"This team could have done a lot, lot more. I'm certain that here in Brazil I brought a great squad," added the visibly emotional coach.

- Victory over Messi's Argentina -

"Zac" took over the Blue Samurai from Takeshi Okada after Japan reached the last 16 in South Africa in 2010.

In his first match in charge the team stunned Lionel Messi's Argentina 1-0 in a home friendly and went on to win a fourth Asian Cup in January 2011.

Other impressive victories came against 1998 world champions France and Belgium.

Yet despite being able to call on big-name players such as Manchester United's Shinji Kagawa and AC Milan's Keisuke Honda as well as several who ply their trade in the Bundesliga, Japan have come up short when exposed at the sharp end of international football.

The Confederations Cup -- the World Cup dress rehearsal in Brazil last year -- proved a chastening experience with three straight defeats.

Despite their improvement in recent years and their relatively high profile, the cold, hard fact is that they have only twice made it out of the group stage of the World Cup -- and one of those was on home soil in 2002.

The disappointed players admitted they have a lot of work to do to catch up with the top nations after their exit in Cuiaba on Tuesday.

"We still have a long way to go," said right-back Atsuto Uchida, hinting that he might not play again for the national side even though he is only 26.

"I've thought about (retiring) but I just hadn't told people about it," added the defender.

"I hope we see new heroes play for Japan in the future, kids who are at primary school now."

Talismanic midfielder Honda, who had declared defiantly that the Asian champions could win the World Cup, branded Japan's performance "embarrassing".

"After I'd said Japan would win the tournament, in the end it finished with just empty talk," said Honda.

"We simply weren't good enough at this World Cup," he added. "We've still got a lot to learn. I'm extremely sorry."

GuillermoOchoa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Bosnia-Herzegovina 3-1 Iran: Dzeko and Pjanic help Nigeria out

428826_heroa.jpg

Jun 25, 2014 6:52:00 PM

The star duo both on the scoresheet in the opening two thirds, before a goal apiece from both teams in the final 10 minutes settled the result

Bosnia-Herzegovina knocked Iran out of the World Cup and salvaged some pride with a 3-1 win on Wednesday.

With their fate already sealed after defeats to Argentina and Nigeria, Bosnia played with freedom and made history as goals to Edin Dzeko, Miralem Pjanic and Avdija Vrsajevic saw them collect their first points at the showpiece.

The result also ended Iran's stay in Brazil, as they finished last in Group F with just one point from three matches.

Carlos Queiroz's side needed to beat Bosnia and hope Argentina defeated Nigeria, but saw their slim chances of progression end in Salvador on Wednesday.

Dzeko broke the deadlock midway through the first half with a well-placed low strike from 25 yards, and Pjanic doubled their lead a minute before the hour.

Reza Ghoochannejad gave Iran a lifeline with eight minutes left, tapping in from close range, but Vrsajevic responded within 60 seconds for Bosnia, scoring an excellent angled finish.

The result means Nigeria – who were beaten 3-2 by Argentina – progress to the last 16 with Alejandro Sabella's side.

Bosnia coach Safet Susic rang the changes following their defeat to Nigeria, making five, as Vedad Ibisevic lined up alongside Dzeko in attack, while, in stark contrast, Iran were unchanged after their impressive, albeit fruitless, performance against Argentina.

Bosnia – who had been on the front foot since kick-off – had their pressure rewarded in the 23rd minute when Dzeko, who proved an early threat, broke his World Cup duck.

The Manchester City forward won the ball 35 yards from goal and charged forward, evading two challenges before firing a low left-footed strike past Iran goalkeeper Alireza Haghighi, into the inside of the post, and in.

Iran were denied an immediate response when Masoud Shojaei's deflected effort from just inside the penalty area hit the crossbar after good work from Ashkan Dejagah on the right.

Ghoochannejad was next to go close for a rejuvenated Iran, but was denied by Bosnia goalkeeper Asmir Begovic in the 31st minute, while after the break, Dejagah completely missed the ball when presented with a good chance to equalise.

And Pjanic made Iran pay with 59 minutes played, as he netted a composed finish from seven yards after Tino Susic found him with a perfect pass.

Iran gave Bosnia a scare though, when after failing to net in their first two games, they finally got themselves on the scoresheet.

Ghoochannejad was the man responsible, applying the finishing touches to Javad Nekounam's dangerous low cross.

It mattered little, though, as Bosnia sealed their victory when Vrsajevic fired in off the post to end a swift counterattack.

GuillermoOchoa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Nigeria 2-3 Argentina: Messi soars against Super Eagles

428803_heroa.jpg

Jun 25, 2014 6:54:00 PM

The attacker went level at the top of the Golden Boot standings, helping to prevent Ahmed Musa's doubles from gifting Stephen Keshi's men a point

Lionel Messi stole the show for the third Argentina match in a row, propelling his team to a 3-2 win over a dogged Nigeria side who qualified for the World Cup last 16 regardless on Wednesday.

Barcelona superstar Messi was at his brilliant best at Estadio Beira-Rio on Wednesday, following up a stunning half-volley with a superb free kick.

His efforts, though, were twice cancelled out by the equally impressive Ahmed Musa as Nigeria put in a spirited display.

They eventually succumbed as Marcos Rojo's unorthodox finish five minutes after half-time ensured Argentina went through with a maximum haul of nine points.

While Nigeria entered their final Group F fixture needing a draw to guarantee their progression, Bosnia-Herzegovina's 3-1 triumph over Iran meant that they qualified anyway.

The Africa Cup of Nations champions look likely to face France in the last 16, with Argentina probably on course to tackle Switzerland or Ecuador - with Group E set to be concluded later on Wednesday.

Any hopes Nigeria had of getting the point they required were dented immediately as Messi fired the two-time champions ahead.

Angel Di Maria was instrumental, charging into the area before unleashing a fierce strike that hit the post, struck the back of goalkeeper Vincent Enyeama and bounced back onto the woodwork.

Unfortunately for the African side, as the ball ricocheted back into the area, Messi was on hand to power home a sublime half-volley.

But Nigeria were not willing to be the supporting act for too long and levelled a minute later, Musa picking up the ball on the left flank before cutting inside and expertly bending a curling effort beyond Sergio Romero.

Argentina required a response, and they almost found one soon afterwards when Gonzalo Higuain poked a shot wide after getting on the end of Messi's through-ball.

It was Di Maria who was causing the greatest threat, his low 25-yard strike forcing a good save from Enyeama. Yet Messi assumed centre stage again to re-establish his side's lead.

Having forced a fine save from Enyeama with a curling set-piece, he left the Nigeria goalkeeper stranded from exactly the same position in first-half injury time after the mercurial Barcelona man had been brought down by Kenneth Omeruo.

Far from downhearted, Nigeria found an almost immediate riposte after the interval as Musa ran into a huge gap between the Argentina centre-backs and slotted past Romero, having been picked out by Emmanuel Emenike.

However, as the momentum swung once more, Argentina moved in front for the third time just three minutes later, Rojo kneeing Ezequiel Lavezzi's corner home in unorthodox fashion.

Suddenly attacking with renewed verve, Alejandro Sabella's men began to look increasingly threatening - with Enyeama having to be on high alert to keep out a Higuain effort before Messi slid a shot wide.

The Argentina captain was withdrawn in the 63rd minute, to a rapturous ovation from the crowd.

Sabella's side barely missed a beat in his absence, although some poor finishing - summed up by Di Maria hitting straight at the goalkeeper towards the end - ultimately meant that they did not add to their tally.

GuillermoOchoa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Honduras 0-3 Switzerland: Stunning Shaqiri hat-trick seals last-16 spot

428986_heroa.jpg

Jun 25, 2014 10:51:00 PM

The Bayern Munich man answered a few critics with a brilliant treble in Manaus to seal Ottmar Hitzfeld's side the three points they needed to leapfrog Ecuador

Xherdan Shaqiri struck a superb hat-trick as Switzerland secured a place in the World Cup knockout rounds with a 3-0 win over Honduras on Wednesday.

He may not be a regular starter at Bayern Munich, but the young winger remains the focal point of a Swiss side that have established themselves as an emerging force.

And the 22-year-old rose to the occasion when it mattered on Wednesday, his tour de force securing a win that meant Switzerland progressed from Group E behind France, who drew 0-0 with Ecuador to ensure the South American nation crashed out.

With his side smarting from a 5-2 drubbing at the hands of France last Friday, Shaqiri settled any nerves when he scored a sixth-minute thunderbolt before sliding home a second before half-time.

He then capped his impressive display with a third in the 71st minute, silencing critics of his recent performances and setting up a mouthwatering clash with Argentina next Tuesday.

In stark contrast, Honduras suffered the ignominy of being eliminated without a single point to their name.

Determined to right the wrongs of their France nightmare, Switzerland - who brought Fabian Schar into their bruised defence in place of Philippe Senderos - came flying out of the blocks as Shaqiri had a goal-bound effort blocked.

His first World Cup goal would come soon after, though, and it was worth the wait.

After cutting inside from the right wing, the lively Shaqiri unleashed a powerful, left-footed effort into the top corner of the net from the edge of the penalty area.

Shaqiri's one-man show continued for much of the opening exchanges, epitomised when he fired just wide midway through the first half.

Honduras started to offer an attacking threat and their verve showed up some nerves in the Switzerland backline, especially from set-pieces.

Such trepidation almost brought about an equaliser when Brayan Beckeles capitalised on the Swiss' inability to clear a corner by volleying just wide on the swivel.

But Shaqiri showed his class once again in the 31st minute when Victor Bernardez's failure to intercept a searching ball freed Josip Drmic, who slipped a pass inside for the 22-year-old to slide the ball home.

Determined to not go out with a whimper, Honduras began strongly after the break with Ricardo Rodriguez required to make a sliding clearance off the line after Jerry Bengtson had chipped the onrushing Diego Benaglio.

Shaqiri was on hand to show another flash of Switzerland’s threat at the other end, only to be denied by Noel Valladares – who was quickly off his line to keep out his effort.

Honduras continued to battle away and were left feeling aggrieved as a penalty appeal was turned down when Johnny Palacios went down under a challenge from Johan Djourou.

Any disgruntlement quickly turned to dejection, however, when Shaqiri completed his treble.

Drmic was again the provider, racing on to Rodriguez's searching long ball before jinking past Bernardez and sliding across a fine delivery that left Shaqiri with the simplest of tap-ins.