• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

☆☆☆ FIFA World Cup 2014 ☆☆☆

GuillermoOchoa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Ecuador 0-0 France: Valencia sees red as South Americans crash out of World Cup

428981_heroa.jpg

Jun 25, 2014 10:52:00 PM

The Manchester United winger was sent off for the second time in four international fixtures as les Bleus finished top of the group ahead of Switzerland

Ecuador missed out on a place in the World Cup last 16 after being held to a 0-0 draw by France on Wednesday.

The fate of Reinaldo Rueda's men was always likely to be partly governed by Switzerland's result against Honduras - with their 3-0 win in Manaus helping to end Ecuador's hopes.

But an inability to take the chances they created against a much-changed France side, as well as Antonio Valencia's second-half dismissal, was ultimately the South Americans' undoing, while France too will recognise the need for improvement ahead of their last-16 clash against Nigeria.

France coach Didier Deschamps made a raft of changes, with les Bleus already virtually guaranteed top spot, as the likes of Morgan Schneiderlin, Lucas Digne and Antoine Griezmann all started.

It led to a disjointed performance in certain parts, but Ecuador were unable to find the goal and the win they were always likely to need.

Their chances were dealt a blow when captain Valencia was sent off for raking his studs down Digne's knee, and that allowed France to see out the game in relative comfort - continuing to rest players ahead of their next test.

France began with purpose as they pressed and harried Ecuador but they were given an early scare when Jefferson Montero got on the end of Valencia's long ball before being crowded out.

The lively Griezmann then pulled an effort wide after 10 minutes as France struggled to convert their possession into clear-cut chances.

Deschamps' six changes perhaps contributed to the French looking slightly out of sorts, although Moussa Sissoko was able to test Alexander Dominguez in Ecuador's goal with a left-footed volley.

Blaise Matuidi's careless loss of possession was not punished by Enner Valencia 20 minutes in before Bacary Sagna's delivery evaded the flapping Dominguez, as well as Karim Benzema.

If France were frustrated in possession early on, they were put under increasing pressure after the half-hour mark.

Exhibiting tidy passing and smart movement, Ecuador caused France problems without forging any goalscoring opportunities.

Paul Pogba and Valencia both had headers saved by their opposing goalkeepers late in the half but neither side could break the deadlock before the interval.

Griezmann's flick was tipped onto the inside of the post by Dominguez shortly after the break before Ecuador captain Valencia was dismissed for the second time in his last four international appearances.

Rueda was then left to rue Cristhian Noboa's wayward finishing after Valencia had robbed Pogba of possession.

However, if France were troubled by an Ecuador side with 11 men, they could afford to coast somewhat following the dismissal of Ecuador's captain - Pogba almost making life more comfortable when he went close with a header late on.

Dominguez capped off a fine performance for the South Americans with smart saves to deny Benzema and Loic Remy in the final minutes but it was not enough to stop them from heading home early.

It proved far from vintage from Deschamps' men but an unbeaten group stage still represents progress for les Blues after their shambolic exit in South Africa four years ago.

GuillermoOchoa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Ghana will play Portugal regardless of whether cash arrives, insists Appiah

424127_heroa.jpg

Jun 25, 2014 10:50:00 PM

The African outfit threatened a strike on Tuesday, but have now made it clear they will take to the field irrespective of whether they are paid before the game

By Stefan Coerts in Brasilia

Ghana coach Kwesi Appiah has stressed the African giants will not boycott the Group G game against Portugal at the Estadio Mane Garrincha on Thursday following a row over appearance fees.

The Black Stars are irritated the fees for the World Cup have not been paid since the start of the competition and almost opted out of their trip to Brasilia for their must-win final group game.
Ghana president John Mahama had to intervene swiftly to calm nerves and sent a plane with €2.2 million in cash to Brasilia to solve the matter and Appiah has little doubt that everything will be sorted by the end of Wednesday.

"It’s true there were some issues concerning money, but I hope things will be sorted out shortly. They should have solved this before, but it will be solved now. We are very focused. The government has intervened. We have spoken this morning. The money should arrive in an hour or two," the Ghana coach said at the pre-match press conference.

"The players will go out there regardless of whether the money arrives. It’s not about being rewarded for anything. It’s all about the appearance fees, which any country pays its players.

"Players are entitled to this. Fifa pays this money to the countries. Ghana then pays it to the players. Some of the players don’t have an account in Ghana, which is why they’re flying in cash.

"The system in Africa is different than elsewhere. I’m not saying this is the best way, but this is the way things go for us.

"Fifa doesn’t pay this money until the tournament starts. Sometimes a country or FA pays the money to the players before they receive it themselves, but that's not always the case.

"No coach would like his players to worry about money before such an important World Cup match. I have had some sleepless nights. These things should have been taken care of before the competition. But we are trying to cope with it."

Attacking midfielder Christian Atsu, meanwhile, stressed the players are focused on the match against Portugal and will do their utmost to do their country proud.

"I think there are a lot of issues that have complicated things for Ghana. But the players are focused on tomorrow’s game. We have sat together to discuss everything. Our captain spoke to us. We have to put all this behind us and focus on tomorrow’s game. This game is vital for all Ghanaians. If we lose this game, people think it will be because of the money. We must do the nation proud.

“We are in the biggest tournament in the world. Even if the money issue won’t be sorted, we will do our best for the team. We will not boycott the game. We took a decision. We love our nation and want to play for our nation."

The Chelsea man, who was on loan at Vitesse Arnhem last season, then joked that the players could face a difficult task to protect their money once the appearance fee issue is settled.

”We will keep the money in our bags. We have to lock it away," Atsu said when questioned on the matter.

"And we will eventually transfer it into our accounts."

GuillermoOchoa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Ghana resolve bonus row ahead of Portugal clash

427638_heroa.jpg

By Kent Mensah
Jun 25, 2014 5:16:00 PM

The Ghanaian government has been forced to send a whopping sum of $3 million to the Black Stars who demanded payment before Thursday's game

Ghana's bonus row between the players and the nation's FA has been solved after €2.2 million was flown into Brazil by the government on Tuesday.

The Black Stars were irritated with the amount they had been paid and almost boycotted their trip to Brasilia to face Portugal in their must-win final group game.

Ghana president John Mahama had to intervene swiftly to calm nerves over the appearance fees for the World Cup which has not been paid since the start of the competition.

An official statement from the Ghana FA confirmed the ruckus in camp but assured that "the money will be paid by Wednesday afternoon which has brought some assurance to the Black Stars".

Ghana’s deputy sports minister Joseph Yamin said officials had no option than to arrive at that decision since the players threatened to derail the World Cup campaign.

The players held up their trip to Brasilia for hours demanding about $100,000 each as “appearance fee” at the global football fiesta before facing beleaguered Portugal on Thursday.

The sports ministry had initially planned to wire the money to the players as the tournament wears on but they had to “come back and mobilise the physical cash to be sent to them. Saturday morning, the money was mobilised but a chartered flight to take the money to Brazil is what has delayed the money up until now.”

Yamin told Accra-based Citi FM that the flight will be in Brazil on Wednesday then the money will be disbursed to the agitated players ahead of their must-win game against Portugal.

He said “government had to contend with getting permits, getting the reliable flight to be able to send this money across, national security vans would have to be policing this money to the airport.”

Yamin said they had no option than to give in to the Black Stars pressure since government did not want to be blamed for a bad campaign in Brazil.

Ghana will play Portugal on Thursday and a convincing win could see them making it to the knockout stage of the competition.

GuillermoOchoa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Honduras boss Luis Fernando Suarez quits following World Cup exit

426756_heroa.jpg

Jun 25, 2014 10:43:00 PM

The Colombian coach's contract expired upon the final whistle and he says he made the decision not to discuss a renewal on his way to the post-match press conference

By Sam Lee at the Arena da Amazonia

Honduras coach Luis Fernando Suarez has announced that he will not continue in his job following the 3-0 defeat to Switzerland.

Suarez's contract was set to expire as soon as Honduras were eliminated from the World Cup and he has decided not to enter into discussions over an extension.

The Concacaf side went down to a Xherdan Shaqiri hat-trick in Manaus, though they missed several good chances to get back into the game in the second half.

"The second half was very good and we had three or four chances to score, but scoring is a different story and we disappointed our nation. When I leave here I will say goodbye to them, for Honduras’ sake I think we need a change.

"We had good results in the Olympics, I think this is a good team but somebody else can take this position and do better things. We have young players who are very good and a new coach will realise this. I’m very happy with my work.

"I am sad that I didn’t achieve the mission that I was entrusted with. It was a dream but I’m going to go on with my career. I always want to be connected to Honduras. I will always be a fan of Honduras, if I’m there or not I will always cheer for the team.

"The players taught me to like them a lot, I have this relationship with them. I owe them this. I would like to thank the whole operation; many, many thanks to everybody, I am sorry that I did not manage more."

Honduras finished bottom of Group E in Brazil, but bettered their performance in South Africa four years ago as they managed to score one goal.

GuillermoOchoa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Klinsmann: USA fans key to securing qualification against Germany

428292_heroa.jpg

By Vaishali Bhardwaj
Jun 25, 2014 10:39:00 AM

The 49-year-old coach has called on American supporters to cheer on his team when they take on Die Mannschaft on Thursday

USA coach Jurgen Klinsmann believes his side's fans will be crucial in helping the team reach the World Cup last 16.

The Stars and Stripes need a draw in their final Group G match against Germany in Recife on Thursday to qualify for the knockout stages of the competition.

The Americans could have secured qualification with a game to spare on Sunday but were denied when Silvestre Varela's diving header earned Portugal a late 2-2 draw in Manaus.

Despite the disappointment of failing to hold on for the win against Paulo Bento’s side, Klinsmann believes his team will use the support they get from fans to get a result against his own nation, Germany.

"The fans' support for us is overwhelming, it's unbelievable," he told US Soccer's official YouTube channel.

"When we go and take the bus to the stadium and see thousands of US fans streaming towards the stadium chanting it gives us that extra amount of energy that we need.

"We need now all the energy from the fans going to Recife, being loud and pushing for us.

"Seeing the pictures from home, suddenly people are really into soccer and supporting our team and we feel that and get that energy and we'll take that into the game. It helps a lot.

"It makes you feel accountable and responsible for giving everything you have on the field in every World Cup game.

"You have to be in there and take that energy to another level against Germany."

Jozy Altidore is set to miss out on the clash against Joachim Low’s side with a hamstring injury, which he sustained during the win over Ghana, but defender Matt Besler will be available after recovering from a similar problem.

GuillermoOchoa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Fowler: Suarez has dragged Liverpool's name through the m&d

428390_heroa.jpg

Jun 25, 2014 2:51:00 PM

The Anfield favourite believes that the Uruguayan striker is reaching an untenable position after being accused of biting an opponent for the third time in his career

Liverpool striker Luis Suarez is "continually dragging the club's name through the m&d", according to Robbie Fowler, and may now have to be sold in the summer for the Reds' good.

The Uruguayan unexpectedly fired his side into the Premier League title race last season, scoring 31 goals and creating 12 assists in 33 appearances, but his hopes of a summer move to Barcelona or Real Madrid may now be under threat after he was accused of biting Italy's Giorgio Chiellini on Tuesday.

Regardless of his quality, Fowler feels that Suarez's position at the club may now be untenable, especially given the support that they have show to him after previous incidents.

"You can't defend him," the former Liverpool striker told talkSPORT. "Off the pitch he's an absolutely lovely fella. He does so much work for charity, does so much work in the community in Liverpool and I love him as a player but you cannot condone what he has done.

"When he gets on the pitch he just becomes a different person. I'm flummoxed for words. It's a real, real tough predicament most Liverpool fans are in. They love him as a player but he's continually dragging the club's name through the m&d.

"It's not right, especially after how they helped him last time. They tried to rehabilitate him. I wouldn't be surprised if he went now."

Should Fifa's investigation find that Suarez did bite Chiellini in Uruguay's 1-0 World Cup victory to progress from Group D, the punishment could well be severe given his previous record at club level.

In 2010, while playing for Ajax in the Eredivisie, he bit PSV midfielder Otman Bakkal and later received a seven-game ban for his actions. He used his teeth again in 2013 when he bit Chelsea's Branislav Ivanovic in a Premier League match and was suspended for 10 matches.

The Football Association also found him guilty of racially abusing Patrice Evra in 2011 during a match between Liverpool and Manchester United.

A Fifa ban for biting Chiellini could potentially stretch to a maximum of two years.

GuillermoOchoa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Hamstring injury could end Leroy Fer's World Cup

427869_heroa.jpg

By Jack Davies
Jun 25, 2014 11:38:00 AM

Scoring a goal in his country's third group stage win over Chile could be the box-to-box player's last action in Brazil should the Dutch fail to make the quarter finals

Netherlands midfielder Leroy Fer could be a doubt for his country's FIFA World Cup last-16 clash with Mexico due to a hamstring injury.

The Norwich City man scored his first international goal as the Dutch topped Group B with a 2-0 win over Chile on Monday, but sustained his knock during training the following day.

"The severity of the injury to the seven-time international's left hamstring should emerge over the next few days," read a statement on the Dutch Football Association's (KNVB) official website.

Fer was, however, able to offer some more positive news to fans of his club side by committing his future to the Carrow Road outfit, despite their recent relegation from the Premier League.

"We had a really disappointing season and getting relegated was a bad moment for everyone at the club," he said. "For myself, it’s a difficult feeling to come away with Holland and forget about what happened at Norwich. But I have had to refocus on the World Cup because this is a different situation to my club.

"Whatever happens here in Brazil, I am a Norwich player. I am contracted to them for the next three years so my commitment is to them.

"I am not thinking about anything else at the moment other than going back to Norwich for the new season."

The Netherlands face Mexico in Fortaleza on Sunday.

GuillermoOchoa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Asian football in a transitional period - Hong

427003_heroa.jpg

By Kris Voakes at Arena Corinthians, Sao Paulo
Jun 25, 2014 11:39:00 PM

The South Korea coach admits that results for the entire continent have been a worry, but claims it is no reflection on the talent the countries are producing

South Korea coach Hong Myung-bobelieves the disappointing results of Asian nations at the World Cup reflect the fact that football in the continent is in a transitional phase.

Japan and Iran have both been eliminated from the competition with just a point each from their three group games, while fellow AFC qualifiers Australia lost three from three in Brazil.

Korea themselves meet group leaders Belgium in Sao Paulo on Thursday with only a point to their names and a mountain to climb if they are to progress, but Hong suggests not all is bleak in Asia.

"The results haven't been that great, it's true. Maybe Asian football is in a transition period right now. The football is improving but we're not getting the results," Hong told a pre-match press conference.

"This World Cup is very tough, very physical and compared to Asian football it is very different. Individual Asian players have improved but I think this is a turning point for our football."

South Korea gained a creditable draw against Russia in their opening fixture but a 4-2 loss to Algeria means they head into the clash with Marc Wilmots' side knowing their destiny is not in their own hands.

But Hong insists that his players still have a long international future ahead of them.

"I don't think this will be our players' last game," he added. "They will not stop here, they are our future.

"For me personally, asked to compare the experience to when I was a player, I cannot compare. The World Cup is something I experienced as a player, but I will do my utmost to fulfil my role as a coach."

The former international defender has been called into question for the faith he has shown in striker Park Chu-Young.

But he insists the team has to do more to help the Arsenal player, who has yet to have a shot at goal in two starts.

"He actually plays a very important part for our team. In the first match I didn't think he played that badly, and in the second match we didn't create a lot of chances in forward areas. Overall, I think Park Chu-Young gives stability to our team and we need to make more chances for him."

The match at Arena Corinthians kicks off at 22:00CET, with Korea needing a win as well as a favourable result from the simultaneous fixture between Algeria and Russia for them to progress.

GuillermoOchoa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Klinsmann and I will both attack, vows Low

419433_heroa.jpg

By Luis Herrera in Recife
Jun 25, 2014 8:04:00 PM

The two former colleagues go head-to-head on Thursday when Germany and the United States clash in Recife

Germany coach Joachim Low has joined USA counterpart Jurgen Klinsmann in downplaying the significance of their friendship ahead of Thursday’s World Cup clash.

Low worked as Klinsmann’s assistant when the former was Germany boss before taking over the top job himself after the 2006 World Cup.

Their relationship has been placed on temporary hold until after the Group G clash and Low is happy to train his focus on a match in which a win for either side would see them advance as pool winners.

He said: "It [their friendship] is an important topic but for me personally this is just a game against another national team. It's the third match in the group phase and a decisive game. It doesn't have much to do with the coach.

"Our relationship is excellent and will continue regardless of the result tomorrow.

"People who know us know that Jurgen and I are both ambitious. We read in the media that we won't attack each other but we will."

Germany come into the game after a resounding win over Portugal in their opener and an entertaining 2-2 draw with Ghana last time out.

"Against Ghana we had a very good game with many good things but there were other things that didn't work out as well as we'd hoped," Low admitted.

"In the last few days we talked about that, we talked about what we could change and what has to be improved. We are very prepared for this match and we are looking forward to it."

Low accepts it will not be easy against a USA side that came within seconds of qualifying on matchday two only to be denied by a last-gasp Portugal equaliser.

"We have to do well in physical terms," Low said. "The USA have an aggression we saw in their first two games, they are well prepared and very fit.

"They have the advantage that their league doesn't last for 11 months and Jurgen already had his team in January. They have been working together since then."

GuillermoOchoa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Klinsmann giving silent treatment to close friend Low

424223_heroa.jpg

Jun 25, 2014 7:44:00 PM

The USA coach has not spoken to his former assistant in recent days despite their close relationship as he prepares to face Germany in a Group G decider on Thursday

By Greg Stobart

Jurgen Klinsmann has cut off contact with his "very close friend" Joachim Low in recent days – but he believes his former assistant has built a Germany side to challenge for the World Cup.

Klinsmann is preparing his United States team to face Germany in Recife on Thursday knowing a draw against his homeland will guarantee both teams a place in the last 16 in Brazil.

He maintains a close relationship with Low, who worked as his assistant with Germany for two years before taking over following the 2006 World Cup – but Klinsmann admits they have been giving each other the silent treatment in the build-up to the Group G clash.

"We both do the best job we can do and leave phone calls and text messages for a couple of days," Klinsmann said in his pre-match press conference on Wednesday.

"After the World Cup we will pick up the phones and talk about it, and our families will see each other.

"We grew over two years of a partnership. We are very close friends. We think alike, we come from the same region in south of Germany, we have always stayed in contact.

"What Jogi has done for the last eight years is outstanding. Looking from the outside, I'm proud of what he has done and what this team has done.

"Germany have a team with the potential to win the World Cup, we don't claim that. They have a strong possibility to go for the title."

USA have impressed in their first two World Cup matches, beating Ghana before drawing with Portugal last time out.

Klinsmann has been encouraged by the number of shock results in the tournament so far and believes USA can spring another surprise against his home country.

"We've seen this is a World Cup full of surprises. We want to be one of those surprises," Klinsmann added.

"We are very capable of beating Germany and we know that, without being over-confident.

"I personally have nothing to prove. It's just a wonderful moment to enjoy. When do you go to a World Cup and get a chance to play against your former team?

"Some people might be surprised by our results so far but we are not. We are by no means the underdog in this tournament."

GuillermoOchoa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Ronaldo goes to barber of Brazil

428838_heroa.jpg

Jun 25, 2014 7:20:00 PM

The Portugal talisman has visited a barber ahead of his side's crucial World Cup game against Ghana as he took the training field with a strange new style

Cristiano Ronaldo has gambled with Portugal's World Cup future by sporting a new haircut in the hopes it can help to inspire the side to victory.

The Real Madrid attacker has ditched the zig-zag haircut he sported in the Seleccao's close shave with USA, when his curler of a cross in the dying moments of their second group game helped to keep the team in the tournament.

Ronaldo, who has been struggling for full fitness since arriving in Brazil, turned up to training on Wednesday having clearly gone to the barbers since Paulo Bento's side picked up their first point after being chopped 4-0 by Germany.

The 29-year-old's haircut against USA was reported to be a tribute to a young fan whose £50,000 brain surgery he paid for.

Before Thursday's must-win match-up with Ghana, Ronaldo has changed his style again to something akin to a badger, opting to have the sides of his head shaved while keeping it long on the top and is sporting a rather bizarre line at the top of the right side.

Should Portugal finally gel to sweep the floor with the Black Stars in Brasilia and Germany blow a dry USA out of the water in Recife, the Seleccao can still squeak into the last 16 of the World Cup.

GuillermoOchoa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Bravo: Chance to knock out Brazil a 'tremendous opportunity' for Chile

428701_heroa.jpg

By Ben Hayward in Belo Horizonte
Jun 25, 2014 10:24:00 PM

The 31-year-old goalkeeper says his side are keen to repeat a performance like the one they produced in their win over Spain as they meet the hosts in the last 16 on Saturday

Chile goalkeeper Claudio Bravo believes his side's World Cup last-16 clash against Brazil on Saturday represents a "tremendous opportunity" to knock the home side out of the competition.

Bravo, who will move to Barcelona after the World Cup, has been in fine form for the South Americans and played his part in one of the tournament's biggest shocks as they sent Spain home with a 2-0 win over the defending champions last week.

Defeat to Netherlands in their last group game meant Chile had to settle for second place and Jorge Sampaoli's side now face a difficult date with hosts Brazil at Estadio Mineirao in Belo Horizonte on Saturday.

But Bravo said: "We have the ability, we have the players and we have the tools to hurt Brazil. They have great players, but we are focused on our own game and we know that we are very strong as a collective.

"It's a great motivation for us because Brazil are a historical team in World Cups. It's a tremendous opportunity for us to knock out the home team, the hosts, and we are going to give it everything we have."

Sampaoli had complained of "defensive" Dutch tactics after Netherlands ran out 2-0 winners in the sides' group decider on Monday, but Bravo is sure Brazil will set out to attack in Saturday's match.

"Brazil are playing at home," he said. "I think they will come out and play an attacking game. They are an attacking team and I don't think they will alter their style against us."

GuillermoOchoa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Spahic slams 'enemies' in Bosnian press after World Cup exit

428876_heroa.jpg

Jun 25, 2014 11:25:00 PM

The defender admitted that he felt some of the flak he and his team-mates copped for their early elimination was both too "personal" and too "heavy"

EXCLUSIVE
By Mark Doyle in Salvador

Emotional Bosnia & Herzegovina captain Emir Spahic has slammed his country's media for their reaction to the national team's World Cup elimination, claiming that he did not realise he had so many "enemies" in the press.

Safet Susic's side had arrived in Brazil with high hopes of reaching the last 16, having topped their European qualification group. However, after losing their tournament opener to Argentina, the Bosnians bowed out on the back of a controversial 1-0 defeat against Nigeria, with star striker Edin Dzeko having had a goal incorrectly ruled out for offside.

Spahic admitted that he and his colleagues had not been at their best in either of their first two games but the defender, speaking after Wednesday's 3-1 one over Iran, said that some of the flak they had received was wholly unjustified.

"Criticism is part of our job," the Bayer Leverkusen defender told Goal. "You have it all the time; all your life. And we must accept criticism because we didn't play so well.

"But some other things became a little bit too personal; the criticism was too heavy. And I didn't expect that from my own people but obviously I have a lot of enemies."

Spahic and his colleagues had made history by qualifying for their first major championship but he felt that their remarkable feat was completely overlooked by the country's press.

"For those people (pointing to the Bosnian media in the Arena Fonte Nova mixed zone), history means nothing," he sighed. "I'm hurt by this.

"But I'm proud because I'm Bosnian. I'm proud because of my people.

"There are a lot of children back home feeling happy today because we won this game and that's a much bigger thing than the criticism of those people [pointing again at the Bosnian press].

"We showed the world what Bosnian football is all about and I'm proud of that fact. They [the Bosnian media] cannot change that. They cannot take that away."

GuillermoOchoa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Cannavaro: I'm ready for Italy job

392094_heroa.jpg

Jun 25, 2014 9:12:00 PM

The World Cup-winning captain says he could not turn down an offer to take over as Azzurri coach following Cesare Prandelli's resignation

Former Italy defender Fabio Cannavaro says he is ready to take over as national team coach following their World Cup disappointment.

Cesare Prandelli offered his resignation on Tuesday and Italian FA [FIGC] president Giancarlo Abete also quit after the Azzurri crashed out in the group stage with a 1-0 defeat to Uruguay in Natal.

Cannavaro, who captained Italy to World Cup glory in 2006, admits he could not turn down an offer to replace Prandelli but the former Juventus stalwart says the country's football authorities are facing tough decisions.

"Of course it would be a great honour for me to be the manager of my national team, but I don't know," Cannavaro told ITV.

"Right now the Federation want to change the president, the coach... It would be difficult.

"I'm ready, but I don't know. We'll wait.

"I could not say no but I don't know what they want to do, what they want for the future. Now I think is a very important moment for our federation."

Italy finished third in Group D after victory over England and defeats against Costa Rica and Uruguay.

GuillermoOchoa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Raul: Spain's players are past their prime

408687_heroa.jpg

By Vaishali Bhardwaj
Jun 25, 2014 12:58:00 PM

The former Real Madrid legend believes La Roja now need to look to the next generation to replace stars like Iker Casillas if they want to defend their European title in 2016

Real Madrid legend Raul believes Spain are past their prime and need to look to the next generation to replace stalwarts such as captain Iker Casillas.

The reigning champions were eliminated in the group stage of this year’s World Cup – the first team to go out and only the fifth defending champions to fall at this hurdle – after suffering shock defeats to Netherlands and Chile.

La Roja midfielder Xabi Alonso admitted after the losses that the team lacked the desire and hunger to retain their title in Brazil, comments which the Madrid man was singled out for.

However, Raul – who played for Spain between 1996 and 2006 – has backed Alonso’s criticism of the team, indicating that it was always going to be difficult to win the World Cup with a group of players who are not at their peak.

“Instead of arguing [that] this individual would have been better than that [one], let's agree that the generation that brought Spain all the glory is past its prime,” Raul told The Times of India.

“Casillas, Xavi, [Andres] Iniesta, Xabi Alonso won all that was there to be won but in Brazil, perhaps with the exception of Iniesta, they looked jaded. So we do need replacements.”

He added: “Preferably, they should come from the next generation and we must use as many of them as possible in our Euro 2016 qualifying campaign.

“There were too many stalwarts who may not play for Spain again and before banishing them, one must remember with fondness what they have achieved.”

Despite his nation’s disappointing campaign in the tournament this summer, Raul remains optimistic about Spain’s future and believes that the new generation of players are good enough to help La Roja defend their European title in France in 2016.

“Spain has a tremendous system of producing talented footballers. All good things come to an end even as hopes of a bright future have been raised. Wait for a new Spain in two years when we defend our European crown,” Raul said.

“For the record, Spain beat Australia 3-0 in their last match and David Villa, Fernando Torres and Juan Mata scored. Does it mean Vicente del Bosque would have been better off using these players in the previous games? It's a valid question and we must look for the answer as we embark on a mission to rebuild.”

GuillermoOchoa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Halilhodzic calls on Algeria to 'make history'

427523_heroa.jpg

By Pilar Suarez in Curitiba
Jun 26, 2014 1:59:00 AM

The North African side are on the verge of reaching the World Cup knockouts for the first time but their coach is wary of the strengths of Russia

Vahid Halilhodzic has challenged his Algeria players to "make history" when they take on Russia in Thursday's Group H crunch clash at Arena da Baixada.

The North Africans know that a victory will guarantee them a place in the second round of a World Cup for the first time in their footballing history, while a draw might also be sufficient.

Opponents Russia know nothing less than a win can secure their own place in the round of 16, but Halilhodzic is calling on his players to show their talent on the pitch once again.

"My feeling is that at this moment we can make history," he told reporters at a pre-match press conference. "We want to look for qualification against a great team like Russia.

"I think is going to be the most important match for Algeria [in the country's history]. We spoke a lot about the Algerian generation of 1982 that had great victories [over West Germany and Chile] but unfortunately got no further.

"We have great players with technical advantages and we can show you our talent on the pitch. We will play the match with a lot of determination. We have to attack and defend well, and it's necesary to abandon our worries."

Halilhodzic also took the opportunity to warn his players of the dangers that Russia - with their World Cup campaign on the line - will pose.

"I watched all of their qualification matches and their coach is one of the best of the world," he insisted.

"They deserve everything, they dominate matches, they have efficiency.

"Russia has more experience than us. They are well prepared, they have fast players, quick, good technicians and a good block, everywhere in attack and defence. It's a team of good qualities."

GuillermoOchoa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Zaccheroni resigns as Japan boss after World Cup exit

428613_heroa.jpg

By Mark Doyle
Jun 26, 2014 1:49:00 AM

The Samurai Blue bowed out of the tournament in Brazil after losing to Cote d'Ivoire and Colombia either side of a dour draw with Greece

Albero Zaccheroni has announced his resignation as Japan coach in the wake of the country's group-stage elimination at World Cup 2014.

The Samurai Blue kicked off their campaign with a 2-1 loss to Cote d'Ivoire and, after being held to a frustrating 0-0 draw by Greece, went into their final Group C fixture needing to defeat Colombia to have any chance of progressing to the last 16.

However, Japan were routed 4-1 by the South Americans, prompting Zaccheroni to call time on his four-year spell with the Asian nation.

"I feel disappointed and unsatisfied with our results," the Italian coach told reporters on Wednesday.

"We were confident and enthusiastic about getting through the group stage before the tournament.

"It's only a short period of time, but we stumbled in the beginning of these three matches and didn't play as we'd imagined.

"And just as it's been for the last four years, the results came from the players and tactics that I selected, so the responsibility lies completely with me. I want to take responsibility.

"At lunch the entire team gathered together, and I thanked the players, staff, JFA (Japan Football Association) officials, and everyone else who has supported us for the last four years.

"I feel that now is time for me to leave the Japan national team. A new manager will fill up what's missing and make this team even stronger."

GuillermoOchoa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I'll rotate to prepare players for knockouts - Wilmots

423484_heroa.jpg

Jun 26, 2014 1:30:00 AM

The Belgium coach confirmed that he will make changes his side for their final Group H clash against South Korea with a view to giving players more experience

By Kris Voakes at Arena Corinthians, Sao Paulo

Marc Wilmots has admitted he will rotate his Belgium squad for the World Cup Group H closer against South Korea on Thursday.

The Red Devils have already booked their place in the Round of 16 following narrow victories over Algeria and Russia, and Wilmots will use the final pool match as an opportunity to inject greater experience into his young squad.

“I have a very good core of players, and I have a number of players who want to show what they can do,” the head coach told a pre-match press conference on Wednesday.

“I have a chance now to play fresh players who have not played in two to three weeks and they will do what they can to impress. I have six players in attacking positions and everyone will get a chance to play now.

“There have been a lot of players cramping after 70 minutes in the World Cup, and if we want to go further than the round of 16 then we have to keep players fresh.”

While many will be left out by choice, Wilmots has been forced to do without Thomas Vermaelen and Vincent Kompany, both of whom failed to complete training on the eve of the match.

“We have two players who have withdrew from the training. Vermaelen, who will hopefully fit for the next stage, and Kompany also,” informed Wilmots.

“They are two minor injuries, not very serious but they will miss the Korea game.

“Kompany’s injury is a groin injury. He stopped training after 35 minutes, he’s just over-exercised a bit.

“It’s early days but I don’t think it’s serious. We have time, as we have four or five days to get him right [for the Round of 16]. The doctors and physios will take their time and analyse it.”

Despite the extensive absences, Wilmots insists that he has paid maximum respect to South Korea in his preparation.

“This afternoon at 3:30 we had a theory session. We always work in the same way, we would even have done that if we had had no points. We have seen all the video clips, all the set-pieces,” Wilmots insisted.

“We have a scenario in each match but I can’t say how Korea will play. They played very well against Russia but conceded four against Algeria. That may have affected their spirit.”

The two sides face off at the Arena Corinthians at 22:00CET, with Belgium needing only a draw to clinch first position in the group.

GuillermoOchoa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

The media have an issue with Suarez, claims Lugano

425495_heroa.jpg

By Keeghann Sinanan
Jun 26, 2014 1:08:00 AM

The Uruguay skipper believes his team-mate is a target in the British press and says evidence of the striker's latest indiscretion is far from concrete

Uruguay captain Diego Lugano has accused the English media of blowing Luis Suarez's latest bite incident out of proportion.

During Italy’s 1-0 loss to Uruguay on Tuesday, the Liverpool man appeared to push his teeth into Giorgio Chiellini, with the Azzurri defender pointing to marks on his shoulder as proof.

Suarez has already faced sanctions for biting incidents at club level with Liverpool and Ajax, but Lugano remains convinced that his team-mate did nothing wrong, and pointed his finger at the British press for sensationalising the story.

“I don't know what incident you're talking about. Are you talking about the Premier League or the national team? Have you got something against Luis?" he said to the BBC.

“Everybody knows the British media have an issue with Suarez. It must sell newspapers in England. Otherwise you wouldn't be here.

“I don't know what a British journalist is doing talking about Suarez. It must be popular with the British media. I don't see another explanation."

An image of disputed origin shared on social media showed the apparent bite marks left by Suarez on Chiellini’s shoulder, but Lugano refused to accept the evidence against his team-mate.

"The pictures don't show anything. They show an approximation but nothing important," he said.

Fifa have announced that they will investigate the incident, with Suarez potentially facing a two year ban from international football.

GuillermoOchoa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Capello: Russia stronger now than in 2010

425170_heroa.jpg

By Keeghann Sinanan
Jun 26, 2014 12:44:00 AM

The ex-England boss insists his side should not be expected to perform miracles at the World Cup given their lengthy absence from the finals before this year

Fabio Capello claims that his Russia team are stronger now than they were four years ago ahead of their do-or-die clash against Algeria.

Under Guus Hiddink, Russia failed to qualify for the 2010 World Cup in South Africa after losing to Slovenia in a two-legged playoff.

The Sbornaya currently sit two points behind Algeria in Group H and need to win against the African side to have any chance of reaching the knockout stages in Brazil, but Capello is adamant his side have shown significant progress.

"This team will be better than the one [from 2010]," he said to reporters.

"Let's not forget that [the Russian Premier League] only has 16 teams while other leagues in Europe have 20 teams. This is an extremely important match for us.

"We shouldn't forget that Russia didn't participate in a World Cup 12 years before. It’s very difficult to improve, the very fact is that we have qualified in the World Cup this time."

Capello also stressed that his only objective was to win the match against Algeria, after Russia took only one point from their opening two games.

"The ambition of the team is that we always play to win," he added.

"We did the same [against South Korea]. They know have to keep going. This is so elementary, we can only win and that's we are going to try to do."

Capello also took time to thank Algeria coach Vahid Halilhodzic, who insisted that the former England boss was still one of the world's best despite Russia's struggle for form.

"I would like to thank the coach of Algeria for those kind words and also recognize that he has done a great job with Algeria," he said.

But when asked if Halilhodzic’s remarks added pressure on him to succeed, he added: "Absolutely not. I do my job as always.

"I think the key will be tactical equilibrium of both teams. We always play with an offensive tactic."