• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

║ Serie A Season 2014-15 ║

Michu

Alfrescian
Loyal

Sampdoria set to speak on Mihajlovic future

31 May 2015

853997header.jpg

Sinisa Mihajlovic said his Sampdoria future will become clear via a statement from the club on Monday.

Mihajlovic took over as head coach at Sampdoria, a team he represented during his playing career, in November 2013 and led the club to safety from Serie A in his first season.

Sampdoria have continued to improve this term and, although they stumbled to a disappointing 2-2 draw in their season finale against Parma on Sunday, they finished seventh - a position that could yet be enough for a Europa League place if Genoa are not granted a UEFA license.

But it remains to be seen if Mihajlovic will still be in charge at Stadio Luigi Ferraris next term, with speculation mounting that he will replace Rafael Benitez at Napoli.

"There will be an announcement tomorrow," Mihajlovic told Rai Sport.

"I took over a team a year and a half ago. There we saved them from relegation, this season we have always been at the top end of the table.

"Of course we were disappointed not to get into Europe via sixth place, but if Genoa don't get in then it's Sampdoria."

Klose

Alfrescian
Loyal

Pioli: Lazio deserve Champions League qualification

1 June 2015

854047header.jpg

Stefano Pioli said Lazio deserve to be back in Europe's top-tier competition after his team qualified for the UEFA Champions League on Sunday.

Lazio pipped Napoli to third in a winner-takes-all season-ending Serie A clash via a 4-2 victory in Naples.

With the match level at 2-2 and both teams down to 10 men, Gonzalo Higuain had the chance to put Napoli ahead from the spot in the 76th minute.

But the Argentina international skied his penalty over the bar before Lazio substitutes Ogenyi Onazi and Miroslav Klose punished the hosts late in the game.

Sunday's victory saw Lazio finish third, six points clear of Napoli, who dropped to fifth in the standings.

"I always said my team was special, a side with high moral values," Pioli told Sport Mediaset.

"We did everything tonight to make life difficult for ourselves, but we do deserve to be in this position.

"The only regret this season is the Coppa Italia final defeat to Juventus. The team is perhaps not quite able to handle two big games in four days yet.

"We are only at the beginning. This year we laid the foundations for something important in the future."

Rafael Benitez, who is tipped to replace Carlo Ancelotti at Real Madrid, was hoping for the perfect farewell, however, Lazio had other ideas as goals from Marco Parolo and Antonio Candreva put the capital club 2-0 up at half-time.

Napoli regrouped in the second half, Higuain bagging a brace either side of Parolo's red card for two bookable offences in the 62nd minute.

And while Napoli's Faouzi Ghoulam saw red with 20 minutes remaining, Benitez's men were offered a route to the Champions League when Senad Lulic fouled Christian Maggio inside the penalty area five minutes later.

Higuain missed the resulting penalty though – his fourth failed attempt of the season - as Lazio denied Napoli a place in UEFA's premier competition, with two goals in the final five minutes.

Pioli added: "Napoli had a great opportunity, but there was still time for us to draw level even if he had scored. Our third place is deserved.

"We've already started to talk about the transfer strategy and made a few suggestions. The club shares my ideas. We want to improve the squad, as next season will be complicated."

Vidal

Alfrescian
Loyal

Mancini wants Icardi to stay

31 May 2015

853996header.jpg

Inter manager Roberto Mancini was full of praise for Mauro Icardi after the striker finished the Serie A season as joint leading scorer.

Icardi struck twice for his side in their 4-3 home win over Empoli at the San Siro, though the result wasn't quite enough to see them qualify for the UEFA Europa League.

While the team's season has been disappointing as they finished in eighth position, the Argentina international has been an undoubted success.

He ended Serie A with 22 league goals, the same number as Verona's Luca Toni, and Mancini hopes Inter can now keep hold of one of their prized assets, along with midfielder Mateo Kovacic.

"He was as good as Toni, I'm happy that we have won the top scorer," the former Manchester City boss told reporters.

"He's improved week after week, tonight he could even make four [goals] for all the chances we had.

"I would like him to stay for [next season], start afresh from him again next year. The same goes for Kovacic, tonight he did what he should do always, he must learn to be more consistent over time."

Icardi was pleased to end the campaign on a winning note - and insisted he was not looking to make a move during the upcoming transfer window.

"We had to win this game to end the season well at San Siro," he told Sky Sport Italia.

"Next year we can build on this and I am sure we will do well with the coach. We've been working for a few months now and pre-season training will help us further understand his ideas.

"Everyone wants to play in Europe, but I have always said I'm happy at Inter and next year will already be a great campaign."

Podolski

Alfrescian
Loyal

Mihajlovic confirms Sampdoria exit

1 June 2015

854136header.jpg

Sinisa Mihajlovic has confirmed his departure from Sampdoria following the final game of the Serie A season, paving the way for a potential move to Napoli.

The Serb, head coach at Stadio Luigi Ferraris since November 2013, guided Sampdoria to a seventh-place finish this term, with their European qualification dependant on the outcome of sixth-placed Genoa's appeal for a UEFA licence.

Mihajlovic has been heavily linked with a move to Napoli, who played their final game under Rafael Benitez on Sunday, and announced his exit in an open letter on Sampdoria's website.

"These are my last words as coach of Sampdoria," he wrote.

"On 21 November 2013, I took a team in a very difficult situation, bottom of the table, discouraged [and] in crisis. I leave you seventh and, if it goes well, in the Europa League.

"But, beyond the rank, I am proud of another thing: to leave a team that today is self-confident, courageous, able to face head-on each opponent.

"Those who come after me will find a team that knows the meaning of commitment, professionalism, hard work and give their best in training and in matches.

"That is the best legacy I can leave. I am proud of the work done in these two years and I believe the club and the fans should also be.

"It would be easy to stay here: I know I'm appreciated by the club and fans. But I think it would be unfair to my growth and perhaps also for the team.

"I set myself a goal, and I achieved it. Now I look for another challenge."

Inler

Alfrescian
Loyal

Benitez excited by Madrid opportunity

1 June 2015

854161header.jpg

Rafael Benitez left Naples on Monday, declaring his excitement at the prospect of taking charge at Real Madrid.

Benitez confirmed last week that he would leave Napoli after two seasons at Stadio San Paolo - having been installed as the firm favourite to succeed Carlo Ancelotti as the Santiago Bernabeu.

The Spaniard's final game in Serie A was a disappointing 4-2 defeat to Lazio, which saw Gonzalo Higuain's missed penalty spark a late collapse as Napoli missed out on UEFA Champions League qualification.

Less than 24 hours after that defeat, Benitez set off for Madrid, where he is set to be confirmed as Ancelotti's successor.

AS quote Benitez as saying: "I am ready, I can't wait to be there."

A former youth coach at Real, Benitez led Valencia to two Spanish titles prior to a six-year stint at Liverpool highlighted by a memorable Champions League triumph in 2005.

He went on to take charge of Inter and Chelsea, winning the UEFA Europa League with the English club, and then guided Napoli to Coppa Italia glory 12 months ago in his first campaign at the San Paolo.

Doumbia

Alfrescian
Loyal

Inzaghi: Milan players believe in me, I hope the club do too

filippoinzaghi-cropped_wziqog0e8a6t1d9aifpof43ne.jpg

By Maxwell Ward
May 30, 2015 23:37:40

The coach has pleaded with the club's hierarchy to allow him to stay at head coach in 2015-16, despite rumours suggesting Carlo Ancelotti will return

AC Milan coach Filippo Inzaghi has pleaded with the club to believe in him the way he is certain his players do after they defeated Atalanta 3-1 in Saturday's final game of the season.

Carlo Ancelotti has been heavily rumoured with a return to San Siro following his sacking from Real Madrid, but Inzaghi thinks he has finally turned a corner in a season which has been well below the Rossoneri's high standards.

"The club can see that this team plays good football and has an identity now," Inzaghi told Sky Sport after Milan secured 10th place with the win over Atalanta.

"I knew the players would react, we were truly a team in these last four or five games. Now there are strong foundations and with a few new faces Milan will get back to where it was.

"I have a contract. If people believe in me, then we go forward, if not then the club will evaluate the situation.

"I am relaxed and happy, I was pleased to have the whole squad behind me, which is not easy for someone making his Serie A debut as a coach.

"It is truly emotional to see the response from the people. If you give your all, then you clearly enter into people's hearts. I like this profession and will continue along my path."

Asked where he realistically sees his future next season, Inzaghi said: "My first thought right now is to relax. I hope to stay at Milan, I have a contract, I believe that I have much to give and many people have faith in me.

"If I am told otherwise, then I will go elsewhere."

Gomez

Alfrescian
Loyal

Pioli warns Serie A rivals: This is just beginning for Lazio

1463062_heroa.jpg

By Joe Wright
May 31, 2015 23:02:00

The 49-year-old admits his side did their utmost to make life difficult for themselves against Napoli but insists they deserve to qualify for the Champions League

Stefano Pioli feels Lazio "have laid the foundations for something" after their thrilling win over Napoli saw them qualify for the Champions League.

Lazio found themselves 2-0 up at half-time at the Stadio San Paolo only for Gonzalo Higuain's double to level the scores at 2-2, as visiting goalscorer Marco Parolo saw red in the second half.

Higuain then missed a decisive penalty before late goals from Ogenyi Onazi and Miroslav Klose secured a spot in the play-off round for the Champions League group stages.

And while the coach accepts Lazio threatened to trigger their own downfall, Pioli feels they fully deserve to finish third after their efforts a year on from finishing ninth in Serie A.

"We did everything possible to make it difficult for ourselves, even tonight, but we deserve our place," he told Sport Mediaset. "We're only at the beginning. This year we've laid the foundations for something important.

"We've already started talking with the board. We'll discuss things in the coming days. We want to improve the team, next season will be more difficult."

Pioli is, however, still frustrated by the fact that the Coppa Italia final - which his side lost to Juventus - was played before the Serie A campaign had drawn to a close.

"The only regret is the Coppa Italia final - our team wasn't quite ready to handle two big games in four days. In the rest of Europe, the major cup finals were played after the end of the league season," he added.

Antonio Candreva - who struck Lazio's second against Napoli - believes his side showed the perfect response to their derby defeat to Roma last time out.

"We're a great team and it's been a great year," he told Sky. "We deserved this, and fortunately Higuain missed his penalty. After the derby defeat, we were bitter. We played a great game on a difficult pitch."

RudiGarcia

Alfrescian
Loyal

Garcia: Losing hurts but Champions League spot is in the bag

1436222_heroa.jpg

By Stephen Crawford
May 31, 2015 23:24:00

A home loss in the final match of the season somewhat sums up the Giallorossi's inability to keep up the pace and must settle for second place

Rudi Garcia is not concerned with Roma being beaten 2-1 by Palermo on Sunday as Champions League qualification had already been secured.

Francesco Totti earned his 299th goal for the Giallorossi with a wonderful chipped finish to cancel out Franco Vazquez's opener, but a stoppage-time strike from Andrea Belotti condemned the hosts to a disheartening loss on the final day of the campaign.

Totti finishes the term as the club's top scorer with 10 goals in all competitions, a statistic which would have seemed bizarre if known at the start of the season given Roma's bright start.

Garcia, however, has looked past 2015's stuttering form and believes a spot in Europe's top club competition was always the main aim for Roma, who finish second in Serie A.

"We played to a high standard this season, the Champions League was our goal," the coach told Radio Rai. "I hate losing, but I wanted to let the fringe players get some playing time tonight.

"We were less precise than usual and we suffered a bit in terms of pace, but that's normal with players who aren't on the pitch every week.

"Regardless, we wanted Champions League football and we have that to look forward to."

Vidal

Alfrescian
Loyal

Champions League win would be ´more than extraordinary´ - Allegri

1 June 2015

854210header.jpg

Massimiliano Allegri believes beating Barcelona in the UEFA Champions League final would be a "more than extraordinary result", and has warned his Juventus side that there is more to the Spanish champions than Lionel Messi.

Juve are one match away from completing a famous treble having already secured the Serie A and Coppa Italia titles this term.

After struggling in Europe in recent seasons, Juve have defied their critics and reached Saturday's showpiece in Berlin courtesy of an impressive semi-final victory over last season's champions Real Madrid.

On Monday, Allegri was asked if comparisons can be made with Inter's treble-winning team under Jose Mourinho in 2010, but the Italian was more focused on Juve's accomplishments.

"We will see afterwards [if comparisons can be made to Inter], if we manage to win the cup. If not it will be different," he said.

"Regardless of anything a final must be played and I think it will be a more than extraordinary result winning this cup. The squad have had a great season - winning the Champions League would be something uncommon having won Serie A and the Coppa Italia.

"Playing the last game of the season creates so much motivation. It's hard to fight for three goals, we will need some luck to win this match."

Barca are also on the cusp of completing a treble after a 3-1 victory over Athletic Bilbao at the weekend saw them add Copa del Rey success to their Liga triumph.

Superstar Messi once more grabbed the headlines with a brace at Camp Nou, including a sublime first goal in the 57th minute.

Yet Allegri believes it would be a huge mistake for Juve to focus all their attention on Messi, considering the wealth of talent at Barca's disposal.

The Juve coach added: "We have to be ready, we have to be good. We know Messi's skills, but we can't forget the likes of Neymar, [Luis] Suarez and [Andres] Iniesta also.

"Man-marking Messi is almost impossible. We have to be good at working well around him. I think beyond stopping Messi they have Neymar and Suarez - players with technical skills and we have to be brave.

"We know there will be difficult moments during the game. We're not going to be waiting for them to score us a goal.

"It's a Champions League final - it's normal to face the best players in the world, but we're not afraid of facing Barcelona."

Mancini

Alfrescian
Loyal

Mancini: At least Inter are a team now

1427902_heroa.jpg

By Joe Wright
May 31, 2015 22:41:00

The Nerazzurri missed out on Europe despite beating Empoli in a seven-goal thriller and their coach was happy to have provided some entertainment

Roberto Mancini believes his Inter side are finally beginning to gel as a team despite missing out on a Europa League spot.

A double from Mauro Icardi helped the home side to a thrilling 4-3 win over Empoli at San Siro on Sunday but Sampdoria's draw with Parma means they cling on to the final European place - assuming Genoa are ultimately declined their Uefa licence.

Mancini was frustrated to have failed to breach Serie A's top six but was at least content to provide an entertaining spectacle.

"It didn't matter much, but at least we were able to play a game which was entertaining for people," he told Radio Rai.

"We're working. The results, unfortunately, were negative but at least the team has become a team. We can definitely work in pre-season and improve a lot."

Icardi and Luca Toni finished the campaign as joint-top scorers on 22 each - though the Argentine reached his tally from two fewer appearances - and Mancini paid tribute to both forwards.

"Toni and Icardi have scored the same goals. Luca is 38 but he has the enthusiasm of a kid and you can't score all those goals without that. Icardi was as good as him," he said.

Rodrigo Palacio, meanwhile, is confident a good pre-season and strong showing in the transfer window can set up a much better campaign in 2015-16.

"It's a shame not to have reached the Europa League, but we scrapped until the end," he said.

"Now our aim must be to learn as much as we can from Mancini for next season. We also hope that we can get strong players, who can help us improve.

"We made every effort to help Icardi score, so he and Toni could be top scorers."

Klose

Alfrescian
Loyal

Berlusconi agrees to sell Milan stake to Taechaubol

6 June 2015

856918header.jpg

Silvio Berlusconi has moved a step closer to selling a 48 per cent stake in Milan to Bee Taechaubol, with an agreement reached to enter an eight-week period of exclusivity for negotiations.

Thai businessman Taechaubol has long since been linked with acquiring a share of the Serie A giants, and Milan announced a breakthrough has been made in a statement on the club's official website.

Under the arrangement, Berlusconi is set to remain as president while his holding company Fininvest would retain a majority 52 per cent share of the club.

"President Silvio Berlusconi has approved the agreement signed by the Fininvest managing director Pasquale Cannatelli and Mr Bee Taechaubol that plans to negotiate exclusively for a period of eight weeks over a partnership with AC Milan," the statement read.

"During this time, Silvio Berlusconi, who will continue to remain as President, and Mr Taechaubol will work together on a great and ambitious economic and sporting project to take Milan back to the highest levels of Italian and international football that are in line with the club's history, prestige and results.

"As part of this, the draft agreement, which will be examined in detail, foresees that control of the club remains in the hands of president Silvio Berlusconi and Fininvest, which will have an absolute majority share of 52 per cent. The consortium represented by Mr Taechaubol will acquire instead a minority stake of 48 per cent.

"The draft agreement has as its objective the promotion and commercialisation of the AC Milan brand, in particular in Asian countries, in order to receive a large boost in revenue and consequently the financial resources needed to take, thanks to a decisive technical and sporting project, AC Milan back to competing with the established clubs in world football."

Milan are one of the most revered club's in world football, but have struggled to compete in the upper echelons of Serie A in recent seasons and finished 10th under Filippo Inzaghi during a difficult 2014-15 campaign.

Speaking on the proposed deal, which is reported to be worth €500million, Taechaubol told La Repubblica: "It is not the end of the Berlusconi era.

"Berlusconi is the man who made Milan great and will always remain tied to the club. It's not true that he is no longer interested in the team. The troubled negotiation process proves the exact opposite.

"Milan have a fundamentally Italian soul and are a brand of Italian excellence. This must not change. It would be absurd to have a sky box full of Asian directors, as the club would lose its identity."

Doumbia

Alfrescian
Loyal

No rift with Garcia, insists Roma president Pallotta

5 June 2015

856511header.jpg

Roma president James Pallotta has emphatically denied rumours of a dispute with coach Rudi Garcia.

Reports have suggested that the Roma hierarchy have been angered by comments from Garcia, who recently suggested he could not be expected to help the club challenge Serie A champions Juventus with the resources available to him.

However, Pallotta has already made assurances that Garcia will be at Roma next season and told Roma Radio: "I don't know where the newspapers are getting that [talk of a rift]. They're writing all these stupid articles again that make no sense at all.

"Let's take the coach… Rudi is our coach - there have been no arguments with Rudi. We've had discussions on how do we make the team better. I have never spoken to another coach about coming to Roma to be the coach other than Rudi.

"My last conversations were the beginning of the week with Rudi and we talked about where we are going to help him with improving things."

Pallotta also addressed rumours he is unhappy with the work of director of football Walter Sabatini.

He added: "Again, they [the media] are just making up stuff and they're being stupid and they're being ignorant. Look, Walter and all of us are always trying to improve.

"Have we made some mistakes? Yeah, of course. Are we going to make mistakes every year? Yes, of course, we're not going to get 100 per cent of the things right.

"We're always trying to get to 100 per cent but that's not going to happen. So we'll make mistakes in the future, we've made mistakes in the past. But Walter doesn't make these mistakes by himself - we all make the decisions.

"We all talk about them, and if there are mistakes that are being made, we're all doing it together. We're all making these things together.

"It's hilarious. I was reading that Walter and I were yelling at each other - you know the funniest thing about the whole thing is that every time we sit down, we're yelling at each other over our players - it's nothing new."

Michu

Alfrescian
Loyal

Napoli sporting director Bigon quits

6 June 2015

856914header.jpg

Napoli have announced that Riccardo Bigon has resigned as sporting director of the Serie A club.

Bigon's future had been the subject of speculation, with talk that he could take a role with Verona as Napoli prepare for a new era following the departure of coach Rafael Benitez.

Benitez was confirmed as the new Real Madrid coach this week after announcing that he would not extend his two-year stay in Naples.

Bigon, who had one year remaining on his contract, has now followed Benitez out of the club after six years in the role.

A short statement on Napoli's official website said: "SSC Napoli announces that Riccardo Bigon has resigned from the role of Director of Football. President Aurelio De Laurentiis thanks Bigon for the work done over the years."

Former Empoli coach Maurizio Sarri is reportedly the leading contender to replace Benitez in the Napoli hotseat.

Mancini

Alfrescian
Loyal

Zanetti cautious over Benatia pursuit

6 June 2015

857019header.jpg

Javier Zanetti remains coy over finalising a move for Bayern Munich defender Mehdi Benatia, but confirmed Inter are keen to recruit and become title challengers again.

Roberto Mancini helped guide the 18-time Italian champions to eighth in Serie A, having been appointed in November, although Inter appear some way short of being able to challenge the likes of Juventus and Roma.

Former Roma defender Benatia has been linked with a return to Serie A and Inter vice-president Zanetti is hopeful a deal could be done.

"We speak of a great champion, a great champion, but you have to speak cautiously as negotiations are complicated," he said.

"If he comes we are all happy."

Zanetti acknowledged the club were looking to strengthen an Inter squad already bolstered by Mauro Icardi's recent contract renewal.

"We spoke with Mancini and the idea is to build a great team. We start with one [signing] then we will see," he added.

"We are working hard to return to being title challengers and we are doing everything to ensure we can be competitive, starting from next season. However, it's not been easy for Italian football right at the moment.

"We need to pay attention to a lot of things, but our objective is to build a squad as soon as possible that can reach the top again.

"[Sporting director] Piero Ausilio is doing everything he can to make Mancini happy. He understands the market really well and he will help us to get back among the best in Italy very soon."

Podolski

Alfrescian
Loyal

Cesena part company with Di Carlo

6 June 2015

856877header.jpg

Domenico Di Carlo has left Cesena following the club's relegation to Serie B.

The Emilia-Romagna outfit spent just one season back in the top flight and finished 19th, with Di Carlo winning only three of his 24 games in charge after succeeding Pierpaolo Bisoli in December.

A final-day 5-0 loss to Torino proved to be Di Carlo's farewell, with his coaching staff Claudio Valigi, Lorenzo Riela and Michele Santoni also leaving the Stadio Dino Manuzzi.

ACMILAN

Alfrescian
Loyal

Berlusconi agrees AC Milan sale

silvioberlusconi-cropped_19j9admixsm4e1jt3o84k44vhd.jpg

Jun 6, 2015 12:37:06

After prolonged rumours, the Rossoneri finally announced that Thai businessman Bee Taechaubol has purchased a 48 per cent stake in the club

Silvio Berlusconi has moved a step closer to selling a 48 per cent stake in AC Milan to Bee Taechaubol, with an agreement reached to enter an eight-week period of exclusivity for negotiations.

Thai businessman Taechaubol has long since been linked with acquiring a share of the Serie A giants and the Rossoneri announced a breakthrough has been made in a statement on the Italian club's official website.

Under the arrangement, Berlusconi is set to remain as president while his holding company Fininvest would retain a majority 52 per cent share of the club.

"President Silvio Berlusconi has approved the agreement signed by the Fininvest managing director Pasquale Cannatelli and Mr Bee Taechaubol that plans to negotiate exclusively for a period of eight weeks over a partnership with AC Milan," the statement read.

"During this time, Silvio Berlusconi, who will continue to remain as President, and Mr Taechaubol will work together on a great and ambitious economic and sporting project to take Milan back to the highest levels of Italian and international football that are in line with the club's history, prestige and results.

"As part of this, the draft agreement, which will be examined in detail, foresees that control of the club remains in the hands of president Silvio Berlusconi and Fininvest, which will have an absolute majority share of 52 per cent. The consortium represented by Mr Taechaubol will acquire instead a minority stake of 48 per cent.

"The draft agreement has as its objective the promotion and commercialisation of the AC Milan brand, in particular in Asian countries, in order to receive a large boost in revenue and consequently the financial resources needed to take, thanks to a decisive technical and sporting project, AC Milan back to competing with the established clubs in world football."

Milan are one of the most famous clubs in world football, but have struggled to compete in the upper echelons of Serie A in recent seasons and finished 10th under Filippo Inzaghi last seaosn, after a difficult 2014-15 campaign.

Speaking on the proposed deal, which is reported to be worth €500million, Taechaubol told La Repubblica: "It is not the end of the Berlusconi era.

"Berlusconi is the man who made Milan great and will always remain tied to the club. It's not true that he is no longer interested in the team. The troubled negotiation process proves the exact opposite.

"Milan have a fundamentally Italian soul and are a brand of Italian excellence. This must not change. It would be absurd to have a sky box full of Asian directors, as the club would lose its identity."

Gomez

Alfrescian
Loyal

Fiorentina sack head coach Montella

1385662_heroa.jpg

By Joe Wright
Jun 8, 2015 19:36:00

The club have confirmed they have dismissed the former striker after becoming frustrated by his lack of commitment, with Paulo Sousa among the favourites to succeed him

Fiorentina have announced they have parted company with head coach Vincenzo Montella.

The former striker had caused frustration among the Viola hierarchy after delaying a decision over whether or not to commit to the club for the long term, with his contract soon to enter its final year.

President Andrea Della Valle released a statement last week expressing his concern over Montella's reluctancy to settle his future, arguing that the club "could not afford to wait around any longer" for a decision.

And Fiorentina have now announced they have released Montella from his position, citing a breach of trust in a terse statement released through their official website on Monday.

"ACF Fiorentina have valued the recent behaviour of head coach Vincenzo Montella as a clear desire to break free of a contract legitimately signed less than two years ago," the statement read.

"So, with great regret, we must note a failed level of trust necessary for the continuation of any relationship, and we are therefore forced - for the good of the club - to dismiss Vincenzo Montella.

"The situation obviously creates sudden organisational problems which we must resolve urgently.

"We would have expected behaviour that was clearer, more respectful and less ambiguous with respect to a club and fans who gave him so much."

The decision comes just days after Montella had claimed he would honour his contract despite Fiorentina's public frustration.

"I am surprised by the club's announcement, but I'm the Fiorentina coach and I am available to continue at the helm with enthusiasm," he told reporters.

Basel head coach Paulo Sousa has been touted as a favourite to replace Montella but the Portuguese was keen to play down any imminent agreement.

"These are just rumours," he told FiorentinaNews.

"That's normal in football. In any case, I'm obviously planning for next season here [at Basel]."

Basel sporting director Georg Heitz stated that no approaches have yet been made for Sousa, who won the league title and reached the Champions League last 16 with the Swiss club this term, but could not rule out a departure.

"As of today, we believe that Paulo Sousa will be our coach next season," he said at a press conference on Monday. "No club has yet approached us with an offer for him, and that would need to be a hugely compelling one, because he has a contract with us.

"But, in football, there are no guarantees. Therein lie the dynamics of our business."

Former Italy striker Montella, who led Fiorentina to the 2014 Coppa Italia final and the last four of the Europa League this term, has been linked with the vacant job at Napoli as well as the AC Milan post.

Podolski

Alfrescian
Loyal

Podolski: I can add a lot to Arsenal

lukas-podolski-arsenal_1xtov97e98dgy1l2nsuxvxxckc.jpg

Jun 8, 2015 17:31:00

The 30-year-old joined Inter in January but managed just one league goal, prompting him to head back to the Emirates Stadium adamant he still has much to offer

Lukas Podolski is happy to return to Arsenal and insists he still has much to offer the FA Cup winners.

The 30-year-old moved to Inter on loan in January after failing to start a single Premier League game for Arsenal, but the Serie A outfit decided against a permanent move after a return of just one Serie A goal.

Podolski has been linked with a possible move to Werder Bremen, but he denies that contact has been made and is determined to make his mark next term after a frustrating campaign.

"There's bound to be speculation in the coming weeks, but at the moment it looks like I will be going back to London," he told reporters.

"Things can always change, but if needs be I will remain at Arsenal next season. They are a great club and I think I can help them. I can confirm there has been no interest from Werder Bremen.

"From a sporting perspective it was certainly not the best year. But I am still young. I still very much feel like playing football. Let's see what happens. I will not vanish from the football world."

Michu

Alfrescian
Loyal

'Champions League final marks new Juventus era of success' - Agnelli

andrea-agnelli-e-fiero-della-sua-juventus_1ded94gnvpbkz1c8xqwkx1aweh.jpg

By SW Lim
Jun 8, 2015 11:22:44

The club chief congratulated Massimiliano Allegri's men on their surprise run to Berlin but insists that there is even more to come from the Old Lady

Juventus president Andrea Agnelli believes the club's appearance in the Champions League final to be a sign of greater things to come.

The Bianconeri had been on the cusp of completing a superb treble last season, winning their fourth consecutive Scudetto along with the club's 10th Coppa Italia while beating Borussia Dortmund and Real Madrid on the road to Berlin.

Consequently, even though Juve were beaten 3-1 by Barcelona in the Champions League final, Agnelli believes that the Old Lady is now back where she belongs, mixing it with the game's elite.

“Looking back at Juve’s history in Europe, I think we’ve returned to the level where we all want to be," the 39-year-old told assembled reporters at a press conference.

"My aim is to ensure that the team continues to grow and remains competitive. I'd like to thank [coach] Massimiliano Allegri for the way he's come in and taken over at the helm in a historic period for Juve.

"The Champions League Final is our starting point for the future. After the matches against Borussia Dortmund and Real Madrid, we were able to play an open game against Barcelona.

"We certainly leave with some mixed feelings about the match in Berlin. We put in a fantastic performance and it bodes well for the future.

“But it’s obvious that when you play in the final of the Champions League you play to win it, like with any match that Juventus plays."

The Italian champions have already been busy reinforcing for the next campaign, signing Paulo Dybala for €40 million and just missing official confirmation of Sami Khedira's free transfer to Turin.

Mancini

Alfrescian
Loyal

Pirlo: Tears after Champons League final didn't mean goodbye

andrea-pirlo-juventus-barcelona-champions-league_1xoibg9va8flx1wtye31mf1rde.jpg

By SW Lim
Jun 8, 2015 09:13:07

The legendary playmaker revealed his disappointment at Juventus' defeat to Barcelona, but rejects the notion it was his last match there

Andrea Pirlo insists that his tears after the Champions League final were simply a reaction to the result, not confirmation that he had played his last game for Juventus.

The Italy international had admitted beforehand that he would likely leave Turin if the Bianconeri beat Barcelona in Berlin - even though he still has a year to run on his current contract with the Italian titleholders.

However, when the veteran midfielder broke down after Juve's 3-1 loss, many pundits interpreted his tears as evidence of his imminent exit.

Pirlo, though, says that too much has been read into his reaction, explaining that he was merely devastated at seeing the opportunity to claim a third Champions League winners' medal pass him by.

"Were my tears a goodbye to Juventus? No, they were for the defeat," Pirlo told Sky Sport Italia. "It is the kind of opportunity that I will rarely get again."

Juventus director general Giuseppe Marotta had earlier insisted Italy international's tears needed no explanation and assured they were working to keep him with the Serie A champions.

"Andrea is an icon of Italian football and has become an icon of Juventus too," he stated. "I think his tears are understandable for a player who gave us such strong emotions over the years and it's only right he should feel those emotions too.

"Now that the season is over, we will begin meetings with the players who are subject to transfer speculation.

"It's not easy to replace Pirlo, [but] we have some eclectic players like Claudio Marchisio, while [coach Massimiliano] Allegri is capable of finding other alternatives."

Pirlo joined the Turin giants in 2011 and immediately inspired a transformation that has seen the Old Lady lift four successive Scudetti.