• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

║ Serie A Season 2014-15 ║

Inler

Alfrescian
Loyal

Adelaide step up interest in Toni

26 May 2015

850751header.jpg

Adelaide United chairman Greg Griffin said the A-League club is "serious" about luring Hellas Verona striker Luca Toni to Australia.

Toni has been linked with a move to Australia when his contract expires at the end of June, and Adelaide have emerged as a possible destination for the 37-year-old Italian.

Speaking with Australian newspaper the Adelaide Advertiser, Griffin revealed Adelaide have asked Toni's European representatives for more details about what it would take to prise the World Cup winner Down Under.

"If we do something we do it seriously," Griffin said of Adelaide's interest in Toni, who would command marquee status in the A-League.

"Basically we're looking at this situation with Luca Toni seriously. We're sitting on the whiteboard working out how we can do it.

"The first thing we have to see is whether it can be achieved and then you look at how you fund it, to be blunt.

"We've got a huge Italian community here and this is also great for other communities to see a fantastic striker."

Toni has been in superb form in the Serie A, scoring twice in Verona's 2-2 draw with Parma on Sunday, taking his tally to 21 goals in 37 games this season.

He is now the leading scorer in Italy's top flight this term, one ahead of Juventus' Argentina superstar Carlos Tevez, with one round remaining.

Michu

Alfrescian
Loyal

Galliani: I want Ancelotti back at Milan

26 May 2015

851201header.jpg

Adriano Galliani said he "will not give up up" in his bid to bring Carlo Ancelotti back to Milan.

Ancelotti is a free agent after he was sacked by Real Madrid on Monday and Milan have moved quickly to lure one of club's favourite sons back to San Siro, with rookie boss Filippo Inzaghi facing an uncertain future.

Making things difficult, however, are Ancelotti's plans to take a year off after his Real sacking.

Galliani confirmed his trip to Madrid prior to Ancelotti's axing and the Milan CEO has now stepped up his chase for the 55-year-old, meeting with the Italian on Tuesday.

"I am here to bring Ancelotti back to Milan," said Galliani to Sport Mediaset reporters afterwards. "I have the backing of prime minister [Silvio] Berlusconi.

"I will not give up. I told him to say, 'Yes'. There will be another meeting tomorrow [Wednesday]. I'm willing to do anything. I will go to Vancouver to get him as well."

Ancelotti won plenty as both a player and a coach in Milan, helping the Italian giants to multiple Serie A titles, European Cups, UEFA Super Cups as a midfielder between 1987-1992.

The Italian was just as successful as a coach for Milan, overseeing two UEFA Champions League titles, as well as the Scudetto, Club World Cup, Super Cup and Coppa Italia in a stint from 2001 to 2009.

Milan are 10th in the Serie A this season, with one match remaining.

ACMILAN

Alfrescian
Loyal

El Shaarawy open to Premier League move - agent

27 May 2015

851259header.jpg

Stephen El Shaarawy could be willing to test himself in the Premier League, with a change of scenery possible according to the player's brother and agent Manuel.

Arsenal and Liverpool are reportedly monitoring El Shaarawy, who made his first appearance since January with a two-goal performance against Torino in Serie A on Saturday.

The Italy international forward has called Milan home since 2011, but that could change during an off-season that could see club icon Carlo Ancelotti return to the city as coach at the expense of Filippo Inzaghi.

"Would Stephan like to go abroad? I never disguised that I'd like to see him play overseas, for example in the Premier League, but he cares about Milan," Manuel El Shaarawy told Sky Sport Italia.

"This is the club where he exploded on to the scene. We'll discuss it with the club, also considering who will be the coach and the future of the side.

"My brother has been at Milan for four years and grown so much both physically and technically. In the light of his recent injury, a change of air could do him good. It could be an option."

RudiGarcia

Alfrescian
Loyal

Wenger coy over Vidal and Benzema moves

27 May 2015

851381header.jpg

Arsene Wenger has spoken of his admiration for Arturo Vidal but refused to be drawn on whether Arsenal will make a move for the Juventus midfielder and Real Madrid striker Karim Benzema.

Arsenal boss Wenger has made no secret of his desire to add some high-quality new faces to his squad in order to mount a challenge for the Premier League title next season.

Vidal has been linked with a big-money move to join his Chile team-mate Alexis Sanchez at the Emirates Stadium, while Real forward Benzema is also reported to be a target for Arsenal.

When quizzed about a potential move for Vidal, Wenger said: "If I tell you I like him, you will announce the transfer just after that.

"If you want me to say I like Arturo Vidal, yes I like Arturo Vidal. Are we in a transfer mode? I say, no."

Wenger also gave nothing away when asked if he plans to table a bid for Benzema.

"You can suspect that at the moment I am not in a transfer mode," he added.

"We'll deal with the transfers after the FA Cup final [against Aston Villa on Saturday]. It's all suspicions. Does anybody know if that’s true or not? I don’t know."

Doumbia

Alfrescian
Loyal

Napoli to refuse questions on Benitez´s future

27 May 2015

851408header.jpg

Napoli have sought to cool rumours linking coach Rafael Benitez with Real Madrid by stating questions relating to his future will not be accepted at an unexpected news conference on Thursday.

The Serie A club called the briefing on Tuesday, fuelling rumours that Benitez could be set to assume the vacant role at Santiago Bernabeu following Carlo Ancelotti's departure.

However, with Napoli due to round off their league campaign against Lazio on Sunday, the club maintained Benitez's future will not be up for discussion.

"The press conference scheduled for tomorrow in the Technical Centre of Castel Volturno, with president Aurelio De Laurentiis and coach Rafa Benitez will only cover issues concerning Napoli and not the future of Benitez," read a statement on their official website.

"Questions, therefore, will not be accepted about the future of the Azzurro coach."

Madrid-born Benitez played for Real's Castilla side over seven years and coached the club's B team, with agent Manuel Garcia Quilon stating this week his client "would be truly happy" to take over at the Bernabeu.

Ancelotti departed Real on Monday after a disappointing campaign in the capital in which they added only the UEFA Super Cup and Club World Cup to their trophy cabinet.

Doumbia

Alfrescian
Loyal

Juan demands more from Inter

27 May 2015

851470header.jpg

Inter must improve next season to end their three-year absence from the UEFA Champions League, defender Juan Jesus has warned.

Roberto Mancini's side have not competed in Europe's elite club competition since 2011-12, and look unlikely to qualify for continental football next season after another disappointing campaign.

Inter go into the final match of the Serie A season against Empoli in eighth place, something that Juan knows cannot continue given the grand history of the club.

"Next year we'll start with a strong team to win the Coppa Italia and the Scudetto," he said. "We'll try to finish the season well on Sunday, then start off well next year.

"We can't make mistakes anymore, we've been out of the Champions League for too long.

"We have to reach higher levels, Inter is a club which has won a lot, and we have to get back to those levels."

Ancelotti

Alfrescian
Loyal

Ancelotti '50-50' on AC Milan return: I'll decide on Wednesday

carloancelotti-cropped_1jc7tau6n24q1tbmjxdaabata.jpg

By Mark Doyle
May 28, 2015 17:54:07

The Italian had previously stated his intention to take a year out after back surgery this summer but is now considering a dramatic U-turn

Carlo Ancelotti has revealed that he will decide on June 3 whether to take charge of AC Milan again, with club CEO Adriano Galliani admitting that the chances of the coach returning to San Siro are now "50-50".

Ancelotti was sacked as Real Madrid coach on Monday and claimed that he would take a year out of the game to recover from a back operation he will undergo in Canada this summer.

However, Milan owner Silvio Berlusconi immediately sent right-hand man Galliani to the Spanish capital to persuade Ancelotti to re-join the Rossoneri, where he won two Champions Leagues with during an eight-year stint at the Giuseppe Meazza between 2001 and 2009.

Ancelotti was still expected to go ahead with his plan for a 12-month sabbatical but the 55-year-old has now admitted that he is in two minds over what to do next.

"I've always got on well with Galliani," he told Milan Channel. "We'll decide on June 3.

"Will I take a year off? We'll see."

As for Galliani, he is also cautiously optimistic about Milan's chances of bringing Ancelotti back to Italy.

"Carlo is thinking of taking a break for a year but I hope to convince him to accept Milan's offer. The final response will arrive on Wednesday," he said.

"He'll think about it for a few more days but he told me that there's a 50-50 chance.

"I'll call him on Wednesday. We're agreed on everything but we'll see what he says on Wednesday when I call him."

Ancelotti won the Copa del Rey and the Champions League in 2013-14 - his first in charge of Madrid - but he was fired after Los Blancos finished second to Barcelona in La Liga and knocked out of Europe by Juventus.

Michu

Alfrescian
Loyal

Benitez confirms he will leave Napoli this summer

1425882_heroa.jpg

May 28, 2015 12:09:00

The Spanish coach will quit his post following this weekend's crunch Serie A clash with Lazio and is expected to succeed Carlo Ancelotti at Real Madrid

Rafa Benitez has confirmed he will leave Napoli at the end of the Serie A season in a move that paves the way for him to take up the reins at Real Madrid.

The former Liverpool coach will depart following Sunday's Serie A climax, which will see him lead Napoli into their final game of the season knowing victory over Lazio will secure a spot in Champions League qualifying.

Napoli released a statement on Wednesday stipulating that Benitez would not answer questions regarding other clubs, meaning he could not confirm whether or not he would succeed Carlo Ancelotti at the Santiago Bernabeu next season.

"My time in Naples has ended," Benitez said on Thursday in a press conference.

"I had a two-year contract with Napoli which ends after the match against Lazio. Then we will start talking about my future from Monday.

"I would like to thank the president, the club and all the fans. On Sunday, we face a very important match and I want to finish my two years here with a victory.

"It's always sad to leave a job where the people have treated you well from the start and Napoli was like this to me."

The 55-year-old Madrid-born coach was appointed to the Serie A club in 2013, leading them to the Coppa Italia and a third-placed finish in his first season in charge.

Benitez spent most of his playing career with Real Madrid's B team before going on to coach at every level of the club, excluding the first team.

Gomez

Alfrescian
Loyal

Galliani hopeful over Ancelotti deal

28 May 2015

852115header.jpg

Adriano Galliani hopes Milan can tug on the heart-strings of Carlo Ancelotti and lure him back to San Siro for a second stint in charge.

Ancelotti is in demand following his exit from Real Madrid earlier this week, and Milan are hoping to gazump any other potential suitors and agree a deal with the 55-year-old.

However, Milan are not at the same level as the club he previously managed between 2001 and 2009, so chief executive Galliani knows they have a tough job to convince Ancelotti to return.

"He will give us his final answer next Wednesday," Galliani told Sport Mediaset after a meeting with the former Chelsea boss.

"According to Carlo the decision is 50-50, but we are hoping that on Wednesday it will become 100 per cent, but I fear it may become zero.

"We agree on everything, we will see what he says.

"In any case our bond with [current coach] Filippo Inzaghi will not end, we'll see what happens."

Michu

Alfrescian
Loyal

Genoa forced to wait for UEFA licence

28 May 2015

852217header.jpg

Genoa will have to wait to discover the outcome of their appeal against being rejected a UEFA licence after the club's lawyer failed to appear at the hearing.

The Italian Football Federation (FIGC) announced the club would not be awarded a licence to represent Serie A in continental competition on May 20, handing 13 other sides the privilege.

Genoa – who will finish at least sixth in the league – appealed the decision in an attempt to earn themselves a reprieve and a place in the UEFA Europa League.

RudiGarcia

Alfrescian
Loyal

Garcia proud of resilient Roma

30 May 2015

853067header.jpg

Rudi Garcia heaped praise on his Roma players after they shrugged off criticisms throughout the campaign to finish second in Serie A.

A disappointing second half of the season has seen Roma lose touch with champions Juventus, and they had to hold off a late charge from Lazio to secure a place in next season's UEFA Champions League group stage.

Garcia's men came in for criticism at times as they stumbled, but the Frenchman was delighted with the reaction he received to guarantee second position in the table.

"The course of a season never runs smooth and we did have to negotiate a few rough moments," he said ahead of Sunday's final match with Palermo.

"We have a fantastic group of players here. We all stuck together and that's what enabled us to finish second

"Roma is one of the most exciting projects in European and world football but we can't get ahead of ourselves.

"Our overall assessment is that we came top of 'our' league. Juve are in a league of their own at the moment."

Garcia has now set his sights on a better performance in the Champions League, after being knocked out in the group stages this term by Bayern Munich and Manchester City.

He added: "We were placed in a group of death in the Champions League but it was all good experience for us.

"Hopefully we'll be in the third pot in next season's draw. We might have an easier group then."

Cavani

Alfrescian
Loyal

Mancini vows to rebuild Inter

30 May 2015

853131header.jpg

Roberto Mancini intends to continue the rebuilding work at Inter next season and has no intention of leaving the club after another disappointing campaign.

The former Manchester City manager returned to San Siro in November after Walter Mazzarri had been sacked, but failed to revive their fortunes despite an encouraging start.

With one game remaining, Inter have a faint chance of earning a European place next season if results and decisions - namely whether Genoa are granted a UEFA license - go their way, but that has not stopped the 50-year-old coming in for some criticism.

However, he is confident he will remain at the helm and is focused on rebuilding the fallen giant into a Scudetto contender.

"I will stay at Inter, 100 per cent, it is safe," he said. "The president, like all people who work for the club, wants the best Inter.

"We will have to work, we will have a month of very intense work, we will resume preparation early.

"The 50 days of preparation will be fundamental.

"You cannot know what will happen [next season] but what is certain is that we'll have a strong team to fight for the top positions next year.

"We hope that they stay all good players. I believe that all players can do much more than they have already done. "

Inter face Empoli in the final round of fixtures on Sunday.

Doumbia

Alfrescian
Loyal

Verona v Juventus: Ogbonna seeks strong Champions League warm-up

28 May 2015

852178header.jpg

Angelo Ogbonna has urged Juventus to finish their Serie A season in style as Massimiliano Allegri's men play their final warm-up for the UEFA Champions League final at Verona on Saturday.

May has proved a month to remember for Juve, who clinched a fourth straight league title as well as the Coppa Italia against Lazio.

The Turin club have the chance to complete a famous treble when they go up against Spanish champions Barcelona - who themselves are aiming to win the treble - on June 6.

Before then, though, Juve have to complete their domestic campaign and centre-back Ogbonna is keen to put on a show.

"We are already preparing for June 6," Ogbonna told Juve's official website. "We want to have a good match against Verona to end our season in the best possible way before looking towards the Champions League final."

Ogbonna pin-pointed two moments that have defined Juve's season, adding: "There's the Coppa Italia, which we finally won after 20 years with a great final and a great semi-final against Fiorentina in Florence.

"Perhaps that was the real turning point of the season, along with the away win in the league against Napoli [a 3-1 victory in January]."

Few would back against Juve finishing off their season strongly, considering they have lost just three times in the league this season.

Moreover Juve have beaten Verona - who are 13th - twice already this season, a 6-1 battering in the Coppa Italia on January 15 was followed by a comprehensive 4-0 in the league just three days later.

However, the Bentegodi has proved a difficult ground for Juve, with the club's last two visits both finishing 2-2 - including last season in Verona's first season back in Serie A.

Carlos Tevez has proved the thorn in Verona's side in recent times scoring five times in three league encounters against them, but it remains to be seen if Allegri will risk Juve's top scorer ahead of the Champions League final.

The Argentina international will likely to want to feature as his tally of 20 league goals is only bettered by Verona's Luca Toni in the Serie A goalscoring charts.

Toni, who has 21 goals, has rolled back the years at 38 and, with rumours of a move to Syndey FC in Australia's A League, finishing as the league's top scorer could yet prove a fitting send off.

ACMILAN

Alfrescian
Loyal

Atalanta v Milan: Inzaghi faces last chance to prove worth

28 May 2015

852166header.jpg

There may be little riding on Saturday's Serie A clash between Atalanta and Milan, but the fixture could provide Filippo Inzaghi with one final chance to save his job.

The Milan boss has been linked with the San Siro exit door for months, but has stood firm in the face of swirling speculation about his future.

Carlo Ancelotti's sacking as Real Madrid head coach has only served to turn up the heat on Inzaghi, with the former Milan boss heavily rumoured to be in line for a return to the club he previously led from 2001 to 2009.

In fact, chief executive Adriano Galliani has openly spoken of his desire to bring back Ancelotti, with a decision on his future expected next Wednesday.

Ancelotti would arrive with the promise of bringing the good times back to Milan - trophyless since 2011 - but the Italian giants could face an uphill struggle to convince the 55-year-old to return following their fall from grace.

Inzaghi will be one of few people at San Siro hoping not to see Ancelotti at the helm next term, but he will have to prove his worth at Atalanta, who are already assured of safety in 17th place.

And midfielder Andrea Poli is keen to end the season on a positive note.

"It has been difficult, but we want to end it with a win to then start off again with the right momentum next year," he told the club's official website.

"The next season has to start off in the best of ways, we have to develop a mentality out on the pitch to always win and to achieve something important, because everyone at the club deserves it.

"I am always committed to playing and giving my very best and it will be exactly the same next season."

Rather worryingly for Milan, they have lost their last two meetings with Atalanta - beaten 2-1 on the road last season before succumbing to a solitary German Denis strike at home in January.

Inzaghi's men have not registered back-to-back victories since early April, so the former striker will be looking to build on a 3-0 win over Torino last time out.

Milan have close to a full squad to choose from, although Stephan El Shaarawy, Giampaolo Pazzini and Mattia De Sciglio have trained separately from the rest of the team this week.

Podolski

Alfrescian
Loyal

Inter v Empoli: Icardi looking for final flourish

29 May 2015

852675header.jpg

Mauro Icardi intends to fire Inter to victory against Empoli on Sunday and hopefully earn Roberto Mancini's side a place in European football next season.

Eighth-placed Inter trail Sampdoria by three points heading into the final weekend and know victory combined with a Samp defeat against Parma could see them snatch seventh.

That could be enough to salvage a UEFA Europa League place if Genoa fail in their appeal against being denied a European licence.

Inter must first end a run of two successive defeats, and record only a seventh home win at San Siro this season.

"There is still this last game, we have to look for the three points," Icardi told the club's official website.

"We must do the best because you never what can happen. Fortunately, we have this last, a chance to get into Europe and we hope to exploit it."

Icardi is currently joint-second in the Serie A goalscoring charts with 20 strikes to his name, level with Carlos Tevez and one behind Luca Toni of Verona.

He has scored four in his last six appearances for Inter, but failed to find the back of the net in the reverse fixture with Empoli – a game that ended goalless in January.

Maurizio Sarri's side have little to play for other than pride in the final outing of the campaign, having already secured their safety despite no win in three.

That ensures another season of top-flight football at Stadio Carlo Castellani, but Sunday's encounter could be the last under Sarri as the head coach continues to be linked with a move away.

Sampdoria appear to be at the front of the queue for the 56-year-old's services should Sinisa Mihajlovic leave the Luigi Ferraris.

However, Empoli remain adamant Sarri will remain at the club to continue his good work since earning promotion back to Serie A in 2014.

"He still has two years left on his contract and we'd be happy to keep him, especially as we defended him in difficult moments during the past," director of sport Marcello Carli told Tuttomercatoweb.

"If he finds a better option, then we won't stop him. The choice of where to train next season is exclusively his and does not depend on us."

Empoli will be without top scorer Massimo Maccarone for the trip due to suspension, while Inter are without Danilo D'Ambrosio., who is also banned.

Gomez

Alfrescian
Loyal

Serie A Preview: Napoli, Lazio eye Champions League

29 May 2015

852377header.jpg

In what will be Rafael Benitez's last game in charge, Napoli need a win at Lazio on the final day of the Serie A season to secure a UEFA Champions League place.

Juventus are champions and Roma are guaranteed to finish second, but the battle for third is still alive.

Lazio occupy the place, three points ahead of Napoli, but the teams meet at the Stadio San Paolo on Sunday.

Napoli won the meeting between the teams earlier in the season, meaning another win and they will end up third – even though they have a poorer goal difference.

With Benitez linked heavily to Real Madrid, a win would be the ideal gift before his departure.

The Spaniard confirmed on Thursday he would be leaving Napoli at the end of the campaign.

Gonzalo Higuain (16 league goals) and Manolo Gabbiadini (15) will need to be watched carefully by the Lazio defence.

Juve finish their season with a trip to Hellas Verona, while Roma host Palermo and fifth-placed Fiorentina welcome Chievo to the Stadio Artemio Franchi.

There remains uncertainty over the final European place, with Genoa and Sampdoria pushing for it.

Sixth-placed Genoa visit Sassuolo on Sunday, but they are fighting to be granted a UEFA licence.

It could be good news for Sampdoria, who are seventh but could be promoted into European spots if Genoa are unable to get a licence.

Sinisa Mihajlovic's men host already-relegated Parma on the final day.

Cesena and Cagliari are also relegated ahead of matches against Torino and Udinese respectively.

Elsewhere, mid-table Milan will be hoping they can finish their poor season on a high when they visit Atalanta, while Inter take on Empoli.

Gomez

Alfrescian
Loyal

Juventus are in a league of their own - Garcia

rudigarcia-cropped_gueb0j5w1nye1rv9dt3wm107k.jpg

Alex Fisher
May 30, 2015 14:41:47

The Frenchman believes the Bianconeri will remain the dominant force in Italy for the foreseeable future

Rudi Garcia says Juventus are in a "league of their own" but praised his Roma side for "coming top of their league" after securing second place in Serie A.

A disappointing second half of the season saw Roma's title bid fizzle out as Juventus coasted to a fourth straight league title.

Garcia's men also had to hold off a late charge from Lazio to secure a place in next season's Champions League group stage, but the Frenchman says his players couldn't have done any more.

"The course of a season never runs smooth and we did have to negotiate a few rough moments," Garcia said ahead of Sunday's final match with Palermo.

"We have a fantastic group of players here. We all stuck together and that's what enabled us to finish second

"Roma is one of the most exciting projects in European and world football but we can't get ahead of ourselves.

"Our overall assessment is that we came top of 'our' league. Juve are in a league of their own at the moment."

Garcia has now set his sights on a better performance in the Champions League, after being knocked out in the group stages this term by Bayern Munich and Manchester City.

He added: "We were placed in a group of death in the Champions League but it was all good experience for us.

"Hopefully we'll be in the third pot in next season's draw. We might have an easier group then."

DeSanctis

Alfrescian
Loyal

Real Madrid vice-president confirms Benitez deal

rafaelbenitez-cropped_1wiffmzrui2ix18po9exzpienj.jpg

May 31, 2015 13:25:59

The club official said he is looking forward to which players arrive to work under "an exceptional coach", saying the Spaniard will be one of the best in the world

Real Madrid vice-president Eduardo Fernandez de Blas has revealed the club's intention to appoint Rafael Benitez as coach, hailing him as one of the world's best.

Benitez is widely anticipated to succeed Carlo Ancelotti at the Santiago Bernabeu, after the Italian was sacked on Monday following a season in which the club missed out on the league and Champions League titles.

Fernandez de Blas is reported as telling a meeting of a Madrid members' group: "Ancelotti is an absolute phenomenon - a gentleman whom I have great affection for, and I think everyone else at Real Madrid does too.

"Until three days ago he was the best trainer in the world, as two years ago it was Jose Mourinho, and from this week onwards it will be Rafa Benitez.

"I'm excited and looking forward to July 30 to see how the best players in the world work under an exceptional coach."

The executive added that, despite his sacking, Ancelotti's reputation has been boosted by his time in the Spanish capital.

"Carlo now has more to his name than when he came, but we're here to make decisions, which we think are best for the club. We live and die by them."

Former Valencia, Liverpool, Inter and Chelsea boss Benitez announced his impending exit from Serie A side Napoli on Thursday.

Sunday's clash with Lazio will mark his final game as Napoli coach, with a place in next season's Champions League on the line.

Ranocchia

Alfrescian
Loyal

Serie A Review: Napoli miss Champions League in Benitez send-off

31 May 2015

851985header.jpg

Rafael Benitez's Napoli send-off ended in disappointment as they missed out on the UEFA Champions League in a 4-2 defeat to Lazio in a match that saw two players sent off and Gonzalo Higuain miss a crucial second-half penalty.

Napoli coach Benitez confirmed earlier this week that he would be leaving Stadio San Paolo as rumours of a move to Real Madrid gather pace.

The Spaniard could have signed off by securing a spot at Europe's top table with a victory on home soil, but the former Liverpool boss saw his side lose out in a thrilling season-ending encounter.

Lazio were 2-0 up at the break. Marco Parolo's deflected effort broke the deadlock, before Antonio Candreva capitalised on Kalidou Koulibaly's error to coolly slot home the second.

Napoli fought back, though, as Higuain bagged a brace either side of Parolo's red card for two bookable offences.

The Argentina striker had the perfect chance to make himself a hero when Senad Lulic fouled Christian Maggio in the penalty area, but the former Real man blazed his effort over the crossbar.

Napoli's night then unravelled as Faouzi Ghoulam was sent off in the 70th minute, and Lazio ensured a return to the Champions League through late goals from Ogenyi Onazi and Miroslav Klose.

That loss proved even more costly as Fiorentina defeated 10-man Chievo 3-0 to move above Napoli into fourth. Roma were beaten 2-1 by Palermo at Stadio Olimpico thanks to Andrea Belotti's 94th-minute winner, but Rudi Garcia's men still finish the season second.

Genoa are waiting to hear if their appeal to be granted a UEFA license is successful. They had Armando Izzo sent off in a 3-1 loss at Sassuolo - whose head coach Eusebio Di Francesco signed a new deal on Sunday - but finish the season sixth and will play in the Europa League should a license be granted.

Sampdoria will take Genoa's place in Europe's secondary competition should they be denied. Sinisa Mihajlovic's side were held 2-2 at home by rock-bottom Parma in their finale.

Inter ended a disappointing season with a thrilling 4-3 victory at home to Empoli with all seven goals coming in the second half. Mauro Icardi struck twice for Roberto Mancini's side at San Siro to finish at the league's joint-top scorer, while Levan Mchedlidze's second goal for the visitors in the 88th proved a consolation.

Cagliari were also 4-3 victors at home to Udinese with four goals scored in the last 11 minutes, while Torino thrashed relegated Cesena 5-0.

Cavani

Alfrescian
Loyal

Di Francesco pens Sassuolo extension

31 May 2015

853748header.jpg

Eusebio Di Francesco has extended his contract with Serie A side Sassuolo until June 2017.

Di Francesco took over as head coach at the Citta del Tricolore in June 2012 and guided the club to promotion from the second tier in his first season in charge.

The 45-year-old was dimissed from his position in January 2014, only to be re-appointed two months later.

Upon his return Di Francesco successfully guided Sassuolo to safety in Serie A.

Sassuolo have secured a mid-table position in the top flight this term and Di Francesco has been linked with both Milan and Fiorentina in recent months.

However, he has ended that speculation by extending his stay with Sassuolo.