• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

‘I’m in pain but I’m not in a wheelchair yet’ – martial arts superstar Jet

covertbriar

Alfrescian
Loyal
Martial arts legend Jet Li Lianjie’s frail appearance in a Tibet temple has shocked many fans around the world, but it wasn’t too long ago the 55-year-old actor looked a picture of health – at least on the silver screen.

Struggling with hyperthyroidism and spinal problems as a result of decades of tough movie-making, the Beijing-born kung fu superstar’s health has been in decline since he revealed in 2010 that he was suffering from the debilitating condition.

The Hollywood icon, who starred in Lethal Weapon 4 and Romeo Must Die, admitted he has not been in the best of health in recent years.

“I’ve suffered from illnesses, for example hyperthyroidism. I am fat but I can’t lose weight because I am taking medication for my illness. The medication is to control my heart beat. That’s why I can’t do lots of exercise,” said Li, who revealed his resting heart rate was around 130 to 140 beats per minute (a normal resting heart rate is between 60 and 100 bpm).

Li’s manager, Steven Chasman told the Washington Post that the photo of Li in Tibet “was just a bad photo of someone who is 55 years old”.

“He has hyperthyroidism that he’s been dealing with for almost 10 years. It’s nothing life-threatening and he’s dealing with it,” Chasman told the Washington Post.

Li said he had tackled his condition “head-on” and “aggressively” when he was first diagnosed with hyperthyroidism and although treatment was successful at first, he suffered a relapse.

Li is the youngest in his family and experienced hardship at an early age when he lost his father at the age of two. Growing up in a middle-class family in Beijing, his mother had to take care of five children. Li took up kung fu at the age of eight when martial arts was growing in popularity.

Li made the Forbes list as one of the most highly paid actors in Asia but said a few years ago: “Money is not the most important thing. Your health is your life.”

Last edited by a moderator:

glockman

Old Fart
Asset
“Money is not the most important thing. Your health is your life.”
Only the rich are fond of saying this and I am tired of hearing this from them. To poor people like me, money is everything! Money can buy you the best health care.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Only the rich are fond of saying this and I am tired of hearing this from them. To poor people like me, money is everything! Money can buy you the best health care.

Health care may help if you break a bone or have a bacterial infection. However 99% of things that can go wrong all the money in the world will do absolutely nothing to effect a cure. At best it helps manage the symptoms. Life is still shit.

glockman

Old Fart
Asset
Health care may help if you break a bone or have a bacterial infection. However 99% of things that can go wrong all the money in the world will do absolutely nothing to effect a cure. At best it helps manage the symptoms. Life is still shit.
Money can still buy hope, which is a whole lot better than having no money and just waiting to die.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Money can still buy hope, which is a whole lot better than having no money and just waiting to die.

I'd consider that to be false hope because there is still no cure for most ailments that afflict us today.

Take Steve Jobs as an example he knew he was dying. All the money did was buy him a bit more time but you could see from his appearance that from 2009 onwards his quality of life was sub par.

KuanTi01

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Money is the closest to everything if not everything! Money can soothe a lot of pains and ills. Only the rich can afford to talk as if health is life. Don't forget the way to better health and a better life is money; lots of it! When you are rich, you can afford the best healthcare and medical treatment in the world and go on to survive 2 types of cancer! Just look at our shining example of a CAQ who survived lymphoma and colon or whatever cancer. Wealth is health!

glockman

Old Fart
Asset
I'd consider that to be false hope because there is still no cure for most ailments that afflict us today.

Take Steve Jobs as an example he knew he was dying. All the money did was buy him a bit more time but you could see from his appearance that from 2009 onwards his quality of life was sub par.
False hope is still hope. No money = no hope = frightening reality.