• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

PSLE is important and needed in Singapore: PM Lee

Confuseous

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
SINGAPORE - Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong said yesterday that Singapore's education system cannot do away with the Primary School Leaving Examination (PSLE), and added that Singapore should instead look at how it can reduce the pressure of a single examination and a single grade.

Mr Lee said it will take some time for the authorities to think about it, and the government is not in a hurry to make any changes.

Mr Lee explained that the PSLE is needed for two purposes - first, to assess the child having finished primary school has attained the standard expected of him, and secondly that Singapore needs some way to post people to secondary schools and for the schools to choose the students.

- http://www.todayonline.com/Hotnews/EDC120927-0000144/PSLE-is-needed-in-Singapore--PM-Lee

blur sotong

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Calling Boss Sam... calling Boss Sam...

Can you shed some lights on the New Zealand educational systems please?

At what age does the students there started having to sit for examination?

Folks here can then see if PSLE is really needed in Singapore if alternative and better systems are in place elsewhere.

Kum siah. :cool:

Cruxx

Alfrescian
Loyal

Folks here can then see if PSLE is really needed in Singapore if alternative and better systems are in place elsewhere.

Any education system but Sinkieland's. Sinkies are world leaders in test scores but are shite when it comes to actually producing anything tangible and useful. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
SINGAPORE - Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong said yesterday that Singapore's education system cannot do away with the Primary School Leaving Examination (PSLE), and added that Singapore should instead look at how it can reduce the pressure of a single examination and a single grade ...
wa! ... ah loon gave a tight slap 2 dat ah josefine in pubic ...

Last edited:

Kinana

Alfrescian
Loyal
I'm so glad the govt has decided to retain PSLE.
I can now gear my kids to score in their PSLEs.

Cheers

Huat-Ah

Alfrescian
Loyal
I'm so glad the govt has decided to retain PSLE.
I can now gear my kids to score in their PSLEs.

Cheers

You got kids ? I thought you from the ZOO ? Go back to your ZOO HOME and clean up the shit ! Or no food for you this whole week !

Either you eat left over shit or eat leafs !

syed putra

Alfrescian
Loyal
in UK you need to sit for "o" level at 16 because many start working at 16 or 17. "A" level are for those who wants to go into higher education at the age of 18 and they graduate at 21, contributing to society by paying taxes.
Students in UK need to do only 5 subjects at "o" level if they wish and can do two for "a" level.

Homework given are to be completed within one week, not the next day so students plan their schedule for other activities.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Because HE says so, Singaporeans all accept that it is absolutely true and correct and anyone who speaks otherwise is considered by the society an idiot. Good luck chums.

Cheers!

congo9

Alfrescian
Loyal
wa! ... ah loon gave a tight slap 2 dat ah josefine in pubic ...

Nowadays, Minister and their cronies comes out and spout nonsense. So , PM has to play Nanny. He has to do some "cleaning " before it leave a foul smell. No good for yr 2016. The Minister and cronies thought they can have it easy like their last generation predecessors, where they can spout nonsense and the press will do all the cleaning up.

Kinana

Alfrescian
Loyal
in UK you need to sit for "o" level at 16 because many start working at 16 or 17. "A" level are for those who wants to go into higher education at the age of 18 and they graduate at 21, contributing to society by paying taxes.
Students in UK need to do only 5 subjects at "o" level if they wish and can do two for "a" level.

Homework given are to be completed within one week, not the next day so students plan their schedule for other activities.

Thats why they end up with the UK riots. no thanks, our PSLE system is superior.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
The actual reason is in his second answer - to use it to post the kids to various school. In the west, practice and regulations requires a guarantee that a kid can attend a school win his district or suburb. There is usually one or two primary and secondary schools in each locale. There is no need to have an examination for streaming to various school.

Those who can afford it attend expensive private schools where they are.

Singapore is also small and therefore families do not mind travelling unlike in the west where nearly everyong is done within each neighbourhood.

Singapore also requires all Singaporean kids where both parents hold Singapore citizenship to attend follow the Govt school system. Only if you are the grandson of the lord god of this mighty country there are exceptions.

It will hard to break a system like this and build it from scratch. Take Henry Park Primary - only the rich can intentionally buy or rent there to hope get into the school. Common sense will tell you as the school fees is the same, people will make a beeline for it.

It has become so bad that there are special preparatory pre-schools that are charging exhorbitant fees where a hothouse ambience is obvious.

No minister has been able to address it. They just say that they have one of the world best systems in the world based on scores. Yet we cannot invent, influence or dream the things that the West can. This is the same western countries where kids spend the first 7 years colouring in class.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The term 'Primary School Leaving Examination' still makes me laugh. If you fail, that means you can't leave, right?

It's been about two decades since my PSLE, but I still have fond memories of it. Partly because I'd done very well. Partly it's because the whole thing seemed less of a scholastic test and more of a national ritual. I remember teachers from other schools whom I've never seen before come to my school to give oral exams. I loved the 'describe this picture' segment.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Here we have the world's highest paid PM discussing something as trivial as primary school education:eek:

If he is so free I can think of many other things he should be looking into e.g. cost of living, cost of HDB, problem of over crowding,....etc

kiwibird7

Alfrescian
Loyal

The mentality of Singaporeans and Nzers are as different as apples and oranges. Singapore parents fret when there are no tests, exams, assessments and tons of homework for their children. Private tuition is a way of life in Singapore while sports, social interaction and other cultural activities are viewed as essential by NZers.

Primary schools in NZ are geared towards social interaction and childhood development whilst providing the basic curriculum of physical education(sports/games), reading, writing, arithmetic and science. No pressure learning or overloaded curriculum.

If Singapore has removed Sec School banding to remove elitism , then it makes little sense for requiring PSLE to decide how to post students to the Sec Schools.

In NZ, the major exams start at Year 11 (NCEA 1) equivalent to your Sec 4 or GCE 'O' levels.

At Year 13 (NCEA 3 exam) if one passes and attains the minimum standards, one qualifies for entry into any university. Of course competition for the more popular professional faculties like Medicine, engineering, law etc exists.

I reckon Singapore parents won't like the NZ Education system because inwardly or subconsciously they don't want their elite children to be mixed with the lesser children of the Ah Bengs and Ah Lians.

Last edited:

STUCK_HERE

Alfrescian
Loyal
Here we have the world's highest paid PM discussing something as trivial as primary school education:eek:

If he is so free I can think of many other things he should be looking into e.g. cost of living, cost of HDB, problem of over crowding,....etc

so what else is new?

blur sotong

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Any education system but Sinkieland's. Sinkies are world leaders in test scores but are shite when it comes to actually producing anything tangible and useful. :rolleyes:

Bro Cruxx, that is not correct. Singaporeans are still much valued in certain roles in many parts of the world.

For example, in China, Singaporeans are deemed to be honest and straight - partly a result of the educational systems. Many MNCs in China love to hire Singaporeans to handle the company's money. :rolleyes:

blur sotong

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Nowadays, Minister and their cronies comes out and spout nonsense. So , PM has to play Nanny. He has to do some "cleaning " before it leave a foul smell. No good for yr 2016. The Minister and cronies thought they can have it easy like their last generation predecessors, where they can spout nonsense and the press will do all the cleaning up.

Bro congo9, maybe they all wayang to up that hopeless pinky? :rolleyes: Never know. :eek: