• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

PSLE is important and needed in Singapore: PM Lee

blur sotong

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Because HE says so, Singaporeans all accept that it is absolutely true and correct and anyone who speaks otherwise is considered by the society an idiot. Good luck chums.

Cheers!

Bro Agoraphobic, then I must be an idiot. No wonder I so blur sotong. :o :(

blur sotong

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It will hard to break a system like this and build it from scratch. Take Henry Park Primary - only the rich can intentionally buy or rent there to hope get into the school. Common sense will tell you as the school fees is the same, people will make a beeline for it.

It has become so bad that there are special preparatory pre-schools that are charging exhorbitant fees where a hothouse ambience is obvious.

Bro scroobal, this is the beginning of kisuism??? :confused::*:

No minister has been able to address it. They just say that they have one of the world best systems in the world based on scores. Yet we cannot invent, influence or dream the things that the West can. This is the same western countries where kids spend the first 7 years colouring in class.

What can you expect from them? A miracle??

Would they want to rock the boat? The million $$ pay packet in jeopardy. :mad:

blur sotong

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The term 'Primary School Leaving Examination' still makes me laugh. If you fail, that means you can't leave, right?

It's been about two decades since my PSLE, but I still have fond memories of it. Partly because I'd done very well. Partly it's because the whole thing seemed less of a scholastic test and more of a national ritual. I remember teachers from other schools whom I've never seen before come to my school to give oral exams. I loved the 'describe this picture' segment.

Bro laksaboy, you must be very intelligent. Good on you. :smile:

"The term 'Primary School Leaving Examination' " means pass or not pass - all got to leave. Only some were ask to retake before they can leave. :eek:

One way of looking at the whole scheme of things cynically is that the whole idea of gifted program, streaming and PSLE etc are set up to identify bright kids, give them scholarships, bond them and shut them up from becoming a unfriendly force with the LEEgime. :mad: :mad:

blur sotong

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Here we have the world's highest paid PM discussing something as trivial as primary school education:eek:

If he is so free I can think of many other things he should be looking into e.g. cost of living, cost of HDB, problem of over crowding,....etc

Bro johnny333, we cannot expect too much from him. It may be beyond him to handle issues mentioned by you. :eek:

As a PM, he needed the wooden spoonist and that old fart to hold his hand for so many years. What more can I say? :mad:

blur sotong

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The mentality of Singaporeans and Nzers are as different as apples and oranges. Singapore parents fret when there are no tests, exams, assessments and tons of homework for their children. Private tuition is a way of life in Singapore while sports, social interaction and other cultural activities are viewed as essential by NZers.

Primary schools in NZ are geared towards social interaction and childhood development whilst providing the basic curriculum of physical education(sports/games), reading, writing, arithmetic and science. No pressure learning or overloaded curriculum.

If Singapore has removed Sec School banding to remove elitism , then it makes little sense for requiring PSLE to decide how to post students to the Sec Schools.

In NZ, the major exams start at Year 11 (NCEA 1) equivalent to your Sec 4 or GCE 'O' levels.

At Year 13 (NCEA 3 exam) if one passes and attains the minimum standards, one qualifies for entry into any university. Of course competition for the more popular professional faculties like Medicine, engineering, law etc exists.

I reckon Singapore parents won't like the NZ Education system because inwardly or subconsciously they don't want their elite children to be mixed with the lesser children of the Ah Bengs and Ah Lians.

Bro kiwibird7, thank you for your comprehensive input on NZ Education systems.

In NZ, the major exams start at Year 11 (NCEA 1) equivalent to your Sec 4 or GCE 'O' levels.

Primary schools in NZ are geared towards social interaction and childhood development whilst providing the basic curriculum of physical education(sports/games), reading, writing, arithmetic and science. No pressure learning or overloaded curriculum.

My view is that Singapore systems got its priority all wrong. Soft skills are best picked up when the kids are young. Hard skills could be easily learned even as an adult. :mad:

Last edited:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Bro Cruxx, that is not correct. Singaporeans are still much valued in certain roles in many parts of the world.

For example, in China, Singaporeans are deemed to be honest and straight - partly a result of the educational systems. Many MNCs in China love to hire Singaporeans to handle the company's money. :rolleyes:

I have to disagree with this. I think foreigners are trusted more than a local, the PRC Chinese know how cunning & deceitful their countrymen can be:wink: Maybe Sporeans are just seen as the cheapest foreigners & have a reputation for being naive:o

We only have to look at all the funny business going on in PRC companies. Even to the extent of poisoning their own customers.

blur sotong

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Bro Cruxx, that is not correct. Singaporeans are still much valued in certain roles in many parts of the world.

For example, in China, Singaporeans are deemed to be honest and straight - partly a result of the educational systems. Many MNCs in China love to hire Singaporeans to handle the company's money. :rolleyes:

I have to disagree with this. I think foreigners are trusted more than a local, the PRC Chinese know how cunning & deceitful their countrymen can be:wink: Maybe Sporeans are just seen as the cheapest foreigners & have a reputation for being naive:o

We only have to look at all the funny business going on in PRC companies. Even to the extent of poisoning their own customers.

Bro johnny333,

Partly the stress on 2nd language and some Singaporeans ended up with 2 1st language. This endears the PRC alot when Chinese is one of the two languages in question.

As you said ... Singaporeans have a reputation of being naive. In a way, this is similar to what I meant by Singaporeans are deemed to be honest and straight.

Lets agree to disagree. No worries. Cheeers. :smile:

Last edited:

Bigfuck

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Josephine Teo is a piece of shit that loses money like HC and is super kiasu kiasi and kiamsiap - the marks of a loser ball licker. Sue my ass. I want my money back from SuZhou you disgraceful mongrel. You know why monopoly and cartels when you see the ingrate hubby does. Kiasu kiasi and kiamsiap run deep.

Last edited:

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro Agoraphobic, then I must be an idiot. No wonder I so blur sotong. :o :(

Dear BS:

Did not mean to label any title on you, or anyone in particular. What I meant to say is that it is politically incorrect (or sometimes dangerous) to oppose the view of Sinapore's top number-one person. Better to just agree and go along. Sometimes it may be called Asian Values.

Cheers!