• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Renovation to your homes

LGLab

Alfrescian
Loyal
It all depends on your budget and the design you are looking forward to.
Awnings and sun breakers comes in so many design and made with an assortment of materials so cost is also extremely varied from several hundred ringgits to tens of thousands.
Perhaps some designs here might be suitable and interest you too.
View attachment 13018
View attachment 13017
View attachment 13019
View attachment 13020
View attachment 13021

Hello, do you have some contacts to recommend for these sun blocks?..

LGLab

Alfrescian
Loyal
Renovation contractors to be hired in Singapore from Johor.

Anyone know contractors that venture into Singapore to work?...

I need assistance as my kitchen tiles had dropped , need help to get them back in shape..

Thank you.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Was very happy with the Mitsubishi water pump that was just installed. Water pressure from tap look "normal", like back in Singapore. Rain shower also look OK, but I think if the instant water heater power was on it should even have a stronger flow.

Now mulling over whether to do black or white aluminium window grilles in kids rooms. Hong Lee's black grilles are nice and classy, but then white would give a brighter feel. Any advice?

potter

Alfrescian
Loyal
Was very happy with the Mitsubishi water pump that was just installed. Water pressure from tap look "normal", like back in Singapore. Rain shower also look OK, but I think if the instant water heater power was on it should even have a stronger flow.

Now mulling over whether to do black or white aluminium window grilles in kids rooms. Hong Lee's black grilles are nice and classy, but then white would give a brighter feel. Any advice?

room dark dark, put white.
room bright bright, put black/white.:p

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal

For safety, I won't advise aluminium as it is way too soft, speaking from personal experience of using aluminium alloy solid rods. I can easily deform the bars if I exert my strength.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
For safety, I won't advise aluminium as it is way too soft, speaking from personal experience of using aluminium alloy solid rods. I can easily deform the bars if I exert my strength.

I was told by Hong Lee sales lady that their aluminum profile is good one leh. Hmmm.......

snowbird

Alfrescian
Loyal
I was told by Hong Lee sales lady that their aluminum profile is good one leh. Hmmm.......

Whatever the salespeople claim, aluminium are extremely soft metal and as for profiles, look at the cross section, the thickness is actually quite thin. Aluminium window grilles are just for show to and only act as a mild deterrence and can be easily pry open with just a screwdriver. Use it as a child-proof grille for high rise apartment perhaps its fine. The only advantage of aluminium is the don't rust and corrode like mild steel and need little maintenance.
Stainless steel or mild steel grille combined with good locks are still the most suitable for burglar resistance if that's what you are looking for.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Whatever the salespeople claim, aluminium are extremely soft metal and as for profiles, look at the cross section, the thickness is actually quite thin. Aluminium window grilles are just for show to and only act as a mild deterrence and can be easily pry open with just a screwdriver. Use it as a child-proof grille for high rise apartment perhaps its fine. The only advantage of aluminium is the don't rust and corrode like mild steel and need little maintenance.
Stainless steel or mild steel grille combined with good locks are still the most suitable for burglar resistance if that's what you are looking for.

Stainless steel whole house not cheap, looking at RM26000. So I am opting for SS for ground floor front and back about RM13000, do Armour Shield glass laminate for RM3700 for 1st and 2nd floor (really not used to calling 2nd floor as 1st floor!) to achieve a less caged feel. But still would need grilles at children's room to prevent kids climbing out, maybe less than RM18000 in all. Then also have alarm + CCTV to complement, what do you think?

LGLab

Alfrescian
Loyal
I would need 4 things before I can stay in.

Mine was a 10 ft end lot unit..

Would need ask seniors here for recommendation.

1) I would like to have artificial grass to be laid on the current wild grass..
2) sun shade to block the sun..
3) Anti mosquitoes net.
4) Water filtration system.

I am running on a budget, therefore i am not going high ends type.

hope you guys can provide some recommendation as well.
Thanks for those whom had assisted me by Pm-ing

Thank you.

Last edited:

austin_hts

Alfrescian
Loyal
hi Frodo, how much u paid for the water pump? labour cost? thanks.

snowbird

Alfrescian
Loyal
I would need 4 things before I can stay in.

Mine was a 10 ft end lot unit..

Would need ask seniors here for recommendation.

1) I would like to have artificial grass to be laid on the current wild grass..
2) sun shade to block the sun..
3) Anti mosquitoes net.
4) Water filtration system.

I am running on a budget, therefore i am not going high ends type.

hope you guys can provide some recommendation as well.
Thanks for those whom had assisted me by Pm-ing

Thank you.

1. Artificial grass look horrible and extremely artificial. They are laid over a solid base and later, there will be drainage problems resulting with puddles of stagnant water all over inviting even more mozzies.
Please note that natural grass absorbs heat while the artificial ones reflects and makes the place even warmer.
2&3. Sun shade and mosquito net can be done by the same contractor and don't need to be expensive, depending on the design you select. Best that you take some external pictures of your house to the supplier's showroom for on-the-spot recommendations and quotation.
4. You can delay the filtration system till later and use bottle water for drinking and cooking in the meantime. Anyway you need only install one filter at the kitchen sink for drinking and cooking purpose and not necessary for the washing and bathrooms.

Last edited:

snowbird

Alfrescian
Loyal
Stainless steel whole house not cheap, looking at RM26000. So I am opting for SS for ground floor front and back about RM13000, do Armour Shield glass laminate for RM3700 for 1st and 2nd floor (really not used to calling 2nd floor as 1st floor!) to achieve a less caged feel. But still would need grilles at children's room to prevent kids climbing out, maybe less than RM18000 in all. Then also have alarm + CCTV to complement, what do you think?

Have you tried asking for quotation for mild steel grilles in powder coating? Its as durable and sturdy as SS but cheaper. In fact mild steel designs are more varied the SS.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Have you tried asking for quotation for mild steel grilles in powder coating? Its as durable and sturdy as SS but cheaper. In fact mild steel designs are more varied the SS.

I haven't actually, you got a couple of companies I can go for quotes?

leongyo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi all, has anyone used Hong De before? Could you please PM me on their prices/ workmanship, etc?

Thanks in advance...

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
hi, will the powder coated mild steel corrode/ rust over time ?

If I am not wrong I think it will. Anyway I have decided (or my wife has decided :p) that it will be Hong Lee aluminium, but it will be white (my decision :p). With the Armour Shield applied on glass and alarm sensors in place it should be deterrent enough.

Maybe should apply insect glue on external glass so burglars get glued to the window panes. LOL!

Narmi

Alfrescian
Loyal
hmm , i was tempted to do carpet grass until i saw some houses , owners back only weekends , the grass has turned brown etc . doesnt look nice liao .
Was told carpet grass still needs to be watererd daily once a day .

Dont put carpet grass..pearl grass better. I never neeed to cut my grass only weeding