• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Why do we call Malay People "Hun Na"?

BuiKia

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Why do we call Malay People "Huan Na"?

What does it mean har?

Any Hokkien expert here?

Last edited:

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
native pygmies, because early malays were smaller in stature and size. it can also mean wild child, for those who like to rhyme and have a poetic inclination.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Don't forget we also use the term "huan-na-lang"

Taiwanese call their tribal people like alishan people "huan-na" and "huan-kea"

You go to the Philippines the Filipino Chinese also call the Filipinos "huan-kea" and "huan-lang"

Here in Thailand I have heard Teochew Thais calling local Thais "huan" or "huan-nang"

Sometimes when these people use such words its sort of a little derogatory.

chootchiew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Thanks. So "Huan" is like meaning "Tribe" and "Na" meaning "Child or Kid".

So "Huan Na" means we call them "tribe people" or aboriginals?

Tribe is the direct translation. It also refering to the red indians tribe in hokkien known as "qi huan" , no idea why is "qi huan" and not "ang huan" as qi in hokkien means green. "ang" then is red. I guess pple trying to link huan na with red indians life .

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Tribe is the direct translation. It also refering to the red indians tribe in hokkien known as "qi huan" , no idea why is "qi huan" and not "ang huan" as qi in hokkien means green. "ang" then is red. I guess pple trying to link huan na with red indians life .

aha you reminded me of another one - "sua-huan"

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Why do we call Malays "GEOW-TOR" ?

Literal translation means "dig the earth', maybe bumuiputra? sons of the soil?? or something else. The older ones call them that, , the Indians, "kek leng kwei" ( Indian devil), or the Eurasians, "chow hair" ( Smelly prawns). They must have a reason for that.

BuiKia

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I find 'geow tor" a little insulting.

Loosely translating it, "geow" means "dig" and "tor" means "m&d"? I dunno how this come about but rather rude lah.

"Huan Nah" not so bad. Based on what is being shared by the bruuders here it roughly means "original native".

Why do we call Malays "GEOW-TOR" ?

chootchiew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Literal translation means "dig the earth', maybe bumuiputra? sons of the soil?? or something else. The older ones call them that, , the Indians, "kek leng kwei" ( Indian devil), or the Eurasians, "chow hair" ( Smelly prawns). They must have a reason for that.

Becos of the same colour skin as that of soil lor !

Glaringly

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
Sorry to hijack the thread.

Besides the 4 major dialect groups, we also have hakka and another, in hokkien we call them

Jeow Wan Lang

Does anybody knows which part of China does they belongs to?

LonewolfAlfa

Alfrescian
Loyal

Loosely translating it, "geow" means "dig" and "tor" means "m&d"? I dunno how this come about but rather rude lah.

"Huan Nah" not so bad. Based on what is being shared by the bruuders here it roughly means "original native".

malay muslims. tsk tsk.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Sorry to hijack the thread.

Besides the 4 major dialect groups, we also have hakka and another, in hokkien we call them

Jeow Wan Lang

Does anybody knows which part of China does they belongs to?

Are they Hock Chew or something..where on Redifusion ages ago, they have a story telling hour...that ends a almost every sentence with a 'clack'. the same one??

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
I got it now, a friend just told me geow-tor means this

Wild Pigs Dig Earth.jpg

Glaringly

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
Are they Hock Chew or something..where on Redifusion ages ago, they have a story telling hour...that ends a almost every sentence with a 'clack'. the same one??

Not Hock Chew- that is another dialect group.

Not sure about the "clack", I only knows Hokkien when young.