• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Why do we call Malay People "Hun Na"?

BuiKia

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I got a Malay friend who love truffles. Then I tell him that pigs are used to find the truffles meaning that pigs are like him, also loves truffles.

maybe babi seems to be like a kum gong animal in ppl eyes? :biggrin:

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
The huan in huan na is the same as the huan in chee huan, which refers to the Red Indians. So huan is a rather derogatory term to refer to people running around without or with minimum clothes, and eating like a barbarian (uncooked meat, nuts, berries etc).

huan na is also called huan kia. na=kia=kid.

hurley

Alfrescian
Loyal
I got a Malay friend who love truffles. Then I tell him that pigs are used to find the truffles meaning that pigs are like him, also loves truffles.

It is thought that the natural sex hormones of the male pig are similar to the smell of the truffles and also pigs have a natural affinity for rooting in the earth for food. They are trained to hunt truffles by walking on a leash through suitable groves with a keeper.

truffle+pig+1.jpg

Last edited:

nirvarq

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
"Huan": means 番(foreign) "Na" means (仔) in hokkien. So Huan Na means "tribes' kid"
"Keling Kia" : In early 1940s Many indian are debt slaves, largely in South Asia, who are under debt bondage. They have these chains on them to prevent them from running away or escape. So when
they walk u can hear the chains sound "Keling keling" hence the term "Keling kia" (Indian kid)"
"Ang mo kaw" means Red Haired Monkey : Caucasians
"Deng nang" "唐 人" means Chinese people.

So, only the chinese are "人 " human, person. The rest are small, kid or monkeys ...rofl.

LonewolfAlfa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yeah is indeed insulting...any idea why is chinese known as "teng lang" ? From what i know ang moh call chinese among themselves as pigs :biggrin: is that also insulting ?

yeah, but pigs dont go around pretending to all holy and religous avoiding dogs and pork while smoking and drinking.

malay muslims, they are an insult to themselves. tsk tsk.

chootchiew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
"Huan": means 番(foreign) "Na" means (仔) in hokkien. So Huan Na means "tribes' kid"
"Keling Kia" : In early 1940s Many indian are debt slaves, largely in South Asia, who are under debt bondage. They have these chains on them to prevent them from running away or escape. So when
they walk u can hear the chains sound "Keling keling" hence the term "Keling kia" (Indian kid)"
"Ang mo kaw" means Red Haired Monkey : Caucasians
"Deng nang" "唐 人" means Chinese people.

So, only the chinese are "人 " human, person. The rest are small, kid or monkeys ...rofl.

LOL...sounds like your findings is most logical.. Also like to add :

Euraisians are also known as "Chow kaw" which means smelly monkey :biggrin:

Confuseous

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I find 'geow tor" a little insulting.

Loosely translating it, "geow" means "dig" and "tor" means "m&d"? I dunno how this come about but rather rude lah.

"Huan Nah" not so bad. Based on what is being shared by the bruuders here it roughly means "original native".

This "dig m&d" action is related to pigs and the Chinese (in their usual insulting people of other races and nationalities) use it as a euphemism for pigs.

As as we call the mainlanders "Ah Tiong" as in "The Middle", a reference to China as the Middle Kingdom.

fukyuman

Alfrescian
Loyal
As humans we call other people animals. No big deal. Hainanese call the loud-mouths hokkiens '4 legs eight trotters'. Just live with it.

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Why do we call Malays "GEOW-TOR" ?

Geow Tor originated after WW2. "Geow" means strike/dig/hammer in Hokkien, "Tor" means soil. Literally, it means dig soil in Hokkien. Here's one version of how Geow Tor originated. During Japanese occupation, the Japs hired the Malays to dig trenches and holes to bury the executed Chinese. The Chinese who survived always remember this treacherous act and the term Geow Tor was born. It is used to describe the Malays that work for the Japs to dig holes for burying the Chinese.

jiakhongleow

Alfrescian
Loyal
Kekling comes from the sound of the bells worn by Indian girls around their ankles. Indian girls like to wear a string of small bells around their ankles and as they walk the bells make 'kek ling kek ling' sound and you say kek ling kia lie leow.

Literal translation means "dig the earth', maybe bumuiputra? sons of the soil?? or something else. The older ones call them that, , the Indians, "kek leng kwei" ( Indian devil), or the Eurasians, "chow hair" ( Smelly prawns). They must have a reason for that.

Depending on the dialact used; (Cantonese, Mandrin, Hakka...), can be:-
(The following are in Hakka):

*Ma Lai Nin....(Malay people)
*Ma Lai Kui....(Malay devil ...this is no longer offensive...like "red haired devil" to describe Westerners))
*Mu Chuk Nin....People of the Malay genes
*Fhui Kau Nin (Islamic religion people) :*:

HedgeTrader

Alfrescian
Loyal
Geow Tor originated after WW2. "Geow" means strike/dig/hammer in Hokkien, "Tor" means soil. Literally, it means dig soil in Hokkien. Here's one version of how Geow Tor originated. During Japanese occupation, the Japs hired the Malays to dig trenches and holes to bury the executed Chinese. The Chinese who survived always remember this treacherous act and the term Geow Tor was born. It is used to describe the Malays that work for the Japs to dig holes for burying the Chinese.

For both geow tor and huan na, I think only Hokkien and Teochew use it, not Cantonese and other dialects. The version I heard for geow tor is because during colonial times, Hokkiens were two classes, towkay and coolie, mostly trading and transport businesses. Malays were almost all kampong farmers, so geow tor. Huan meant non-Han or non-Tang Chinese in ancient China, but developed to mean not fully civilised in later centuries. Hokkien maybe remember the term well enough to use it even when overseas. In ancient China, Hokkien dialect was at first Nanman when the province was known as Minnan. That's even worse, meaning southern barbarians outright. Hokkien was later promoted to Fan (Huan), then promoted to full Han/Tang Chinese. Teochew was originally part of Hokkien but later for some reason boundary redrawn into Canton, but there's still heavy Hokkien influence.

Last edited: