• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Save money now! SG property will crash 2013/14 say analysts

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Singapore’s Property Market Headed Towards a Perfect Storm?

Gauri Bhatia, On Monday 30 May 2011, 10:39 SGT

When a country registers a 15 percent growth rate, as Singapore did last year, there is bound to be a lot of the feel good factor going around. And Singapore's housing market is cashing in on this big time -- prices have rebounded 50 percent in just two years, according to the Urban Redevelopment Authority, and cooling measures by the government have done little to calm them.

At a recent real estate conference organized by National University of Singapore, which explored the theme "Will the boom never end," Chua Chor Hoon, Head of South East Asia Research at property consultancy DTZ, said the Singapore residential market is not likely to decline much because of strong economic growth, but she also outlined a worst-case scenario, which could unfold as early as 2013-2014. "If all the ingredients come together it will make a perfect storm."

These ingredients include falling demand, more supply and higher interest rates all kicking in together.

Interest rates in Singapore are currently at record lows because lending rates in the city-state track U.S. monetary policy. That's allowed some homebuyers to pay less than one percent in the first year of their loans, says Chua. Most analysts, however, expect interest rates to begin moving higher later this year.

Second, in 2014 an unprecedented number of housing units are expected to enter the market. According to the URA's latest quarterly report, 32,359 units will be completed over 2013 and 2014 that is 85 percent more than the 17,501 units expected over 2011 and 2012.

Add to this the fact that Singapore's price-to-rent ratio has increased from 20 in 2009, during the financial crisis, to 25 currently, according to URA and DTZ research. That means it will take 25 years for a homebuyer to recover, through rents, what he paid for the house. As a result, Chua says, people investing in this market often have a short-term view looking to "flip" the property for capital gains.

Foreign buyers are also helping boost Singapore's property market, especially at the high end. According to DTZ's latest report, foreign buyers of private homes in the first quarter of 2011 touched a record high of 16 percent. But Chua points out that this could drop, if the government further tightens immigration rules.

"Local concerns about high housing prices and the influx of foreigners that were magnified during the recent General Election will be a catalyst for the review of immigration and housing policies, which could dampen demand in the residential market in the coming months, " Chua wrote in a report.

While growth forecasts for Singapore over the next five years at 4-6 percent will support the property market says Chua, one cannot rule out another unforeseen external crisis like the financial meltdown, which could also lead to a market crash. While the bulls might find it hard to believe that something like that can happen again, another speaker at the same conference had this to say: "We always think this time it will be different, but it never is."

This article first appeared on CNBC.com on 29 May 2011.

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Pop!

dubai-property-crash-300x172.jpg

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
if that is true, that will be the best news i ever heard for a long time.

hurray

crash crash crash. wipe out the speculators.

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Housing: If the Minister is worried, should we be, too?
By www.MoneyMatters.sg | Property Blog – Tue, Jun 14, 2011
By Mr. Propwise

400afp_sghousing.jpg

There may be good reason to be cautious about Singapore's property market. (AFP)

In a post titled "My Worries" on his blog "Housing Matters", Minister Khaw Boon Wan expressed his concerns about the current euphoric state of the housing market, and cautioned that "sharp property price increases cannot go on forever." In this article we'll take a look at the reasons for his cautious outlook on the market and consider if it makes sense for us to be worried as well.

Reason #1 — The large supply of units under construction and in the pipeline
"35,000 private units (condos and landed properties) have already been sold, though still in construction, with payments in various stages of completion. But there are 45,000 units in the pipeline, waiting to be built and sold."

Minister Khaw and many property analysts are concerned about the large upcoming supply. DTZ estimates a completion of 32,359 units in 2013-2014 versus the 17,501 units in 2011-2012. If we combine that with weak demand from, say, poor economic growth or higher interest rates, that could be a recipe for disaster.

We know that the upcoming supply is large, but whether prices will fall depends on a key variable that is hard to predict: demand. Credit Suisse thinks that if immigration growth remains at above 70,000 per annum the oversupply can be absorbed by the market without a significant fall in prices. However, immigration policy has become politicised post the recent May election, so it remains to be seen if the government will continue to pursue its pro-immigration policy at the same rate as before.

Reason #2 — The government plans to boost supply even further
On 9 June 2011 the Ministry of National Development announced the 2nd Half 2011 Government Land Sales (GLS) program — an estimated total of 8,115 housing units are on the Confirmed List and 6,080 on the Reserve List, for a potential additional supply of more than 14,000 units. Even if the sites on the Reserve List are not triggered by developer bids, as Minister Khaw says: "Together with committed investments, some 53,000 units will be looking for buyers over the next couple of years or so. That is not a trivial number."

Not to mention that due to widespread anxiety in the public from sharp property price increases, the government is also planning to increase the number of units and speed of construction of HDB flats, which will become a headwind to the mass market private property segment.

Reason #3 — The volatile global situation could impact Singapore
Minister Khaw mentioned the following external situations that worry him:
- The European sovereign debt overhang which will take time to resolve
- The Middle East crisis which could lead to an oil price hike and slowing economic growth

Off the top of my head, I can think of at least two more "black swans" that could cause markets to plunge:
- The end of QE2 (Quantitative Easing Program) in the US in end June and current impasse on the debt ceiling
- Nuclear and tsunami fallout situation in Japan which could cause hiccups in the global supply chain

In the most recent quarter, foreign buyers made up 16 percent of all buyers of private property. Many property investors in Singapore are also looking to rent out their property to foreigners, as the locals usually prefer to buy if they can afford it. In the event of one or more of the above situations deteriorating into a full blow crisis, foreign demand for purchase and rental can disappear suddenly.

But for now the fundamental causes of the rise in the property markets all around Asia — low interest rates and ample liquidity — are still present. Rising inflation makes matters worse as people worry about the falling value of their bank deposits due to negative interest rates, and are desperate to deploy their cash in any asset that they believe will be a hedge against inflation.

Some analysts expect interest rates to start rising towards the end of 2011. Together with falling rental yields as rising prices are not matched by rising rents, this could result in a tenuous situation for overleveraged investors.

So should we be worried?

So if the Minister is worried about the Singapore property market, should we be too? I think we should be more cautious in our property investment decisions for all the reasons mentioned above, and I'll add one more to the list: policy risk.

If Minister Khaw is worried about sharply rising prices, it increases the risk of additional anti-speculation measures coming out, or of the Government boosting supply beyond what the market can absorb. Already last week we've seen the Hong Kong Government raising the minimum down payment requirements for housing.

Property is not only a cyclical sector, but due to its nature there are significant time lags from when a policy is implemented to when we see the effects. These time lags amplify the ups and downs of the cycle as the increased supply that is being built today could get completed at a time when demand has fallen off. It is not easy for anyone to forecast three or four years into the future.

This is not to say that prices WILL go down — demand for Singapore property could unexpectedly increase as well, but my advice to all budding property investors would be to do your sums carefully and not overstretch yourself. The time for greed is fading, and the time for fear is ascending.

Mr. Propwise is the founder of www.Propwise.sg, a Singapore property blog dedicated to helping you understand the real estate market and make better decisions.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I like most people only have 1 place, my home.

Don't really care If property prices crash. Maybe then I'll pay lower property taxes:confused:

Last edited:

ivebert

Alfrescian
Loyal
I like most people only have 1 place, the my home.

Don't really care If property prices crash. Maybe then I'll pay lower property taxes:confused:

Sinkie Local Trashes have 25-30 year loans, you know????

If prices crash, these Sinkies will be finished
Maybe they will commit suicide and reduce their burden on the society

What an orgasmic situation!!! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

ivebert

Alfrescian
Loyal
I like most people only have 1 place, the my home.

If prices crash, these Sinkies will be finished
Maybe they will commit suicide and reduce their burden on the society

What an orgasmic situation!!! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

1sickpuppy II

Alfrescian
Loyal
Should I be worried if both my houses are fully paid and I am renting out and getting passive income to add to my pension to maintain my lifestyle?

GOD IS MY DOG

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Should I be worried if both my houses are fully paid and I am renting out and getting passive income to add to my pension to maintain my lifestyle?

values of both will drop..............rental will plunge even if you can still rent them out...........

BUT WHEN GLOBAL GREAT DEPRESSION 2.0 comes............many many foreigners will have to leave S'pore.........while many locals can't finance their condos any longer..........

can you imagine how much property will plunge ???

this double whammy will see prices plunge by 40-50% if not more............

(o)(o)

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have $350,000 cash in my piggy bank now. And I want to buy a condo. So I wait for the property to crash 2 years from now! Quick crash! quick crash!

Cruxx

Alfrescian
Loyal
If, or rather when Great Depression 2.0 comes, expect Sinkieland to kena jialat jialat. Sinkieland is an export-oriented economy, predicated on prostituting itself to the rest of the world. Anyone here remembers what happened in 2008? Sinkieland became the first Asian country to enter into recession. History would repeat itself in the 4th quarter of 2013. :wink:

Cruxx

Alfrescian
Loyal
And don't bother saving. Invest in inflation instead. Let inflation destroy your debts. :smile:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Many Sporeans are currently having trouble paying their mortgage now, at a time when the gov't is claiming the economy is growing :eek: Debtors can always default & if 66% do that what will the PAP do:confused:

It's time people held the PAP accountable for the expensive housing in Spore:mad:

A collapsing property market might be the correction Spore needs. The younger generation might then be able to afford a roof over their heads. :rolleyes:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Anyone here remembers what happened in 2008? Sinkieland became the first Asian country to enter into recession. History would repeat itself in the 4th quarter of 2013. :wink:

I don't think Spore has really recovered from the recession That's why the PAP decided to hold early elections. Many expect things to get worse :(

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I heard there are a lot of housing agents who are holding on to up to 5/6 newly launched properties. They will be the first to die.

no_faith

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I heard there are a lot of housing agents who are holding on to up to 5/6 newly launched properties. They will be the first to die.
if we can obtain tis pcs of news, the agents can too.
if itz true, we will see how the agents smoke their way when approaching clients.:eek:

saratogas

Alfrescian
Loyal
This erection see many young voters who doesn't own house vote against PAP becos of high prices... Come next GE 2016... Property owners will vote against PAP for causing it to collapse...

It's a democratic society, you can't please everyone...