• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Bangkok floods - damned serious!!! Thailand disappearing....

kopiuncle

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Bangkok's second airport shut down Tuesday as floodwaters advanced into the Thai capital, forcing authorities in "crisis mode" to declare a five-day public holiday in preparation for the deluge.

The cabinet ordered an October 27-31 holiday for Bangkok and 20 other provinces affected by the kingdom's worst flooding in decades, amid warnings a high tide would surge up the capital's main river and escalate the disaster.

"The government has switched to a crisis mode as a massive run-off will arrive in the capital on October 26, coinciding with a high tide on October 28," the Flood Relief Operations Centre (FROC) said in a statement.

In a televised address to the kingdom late Tuesday, Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra gave a stark prediction of the potential impact of the flooding, saying the water was "at full force, which is more than the barriers can hold".

She said it was "highly likely" that all of Bangkok, including the inner zone, would flood, with a "worst case scenario" seeing water levels of up to 1.5 metres in some parts.

Her cabinet decided on the extra-long weekend at a meeting in Don Mueang airport in the city's north, which handles domestic flights and has been doubling as an evacuee shelter and a headquarters for flood relief operations.

But as the waters that have already flooded several northern and eastern districts of Bangkok closed in, airport officials announced the two runways would shut until November 1.

"Because a lot of water is creeping into the northern premises of the airport, it could cause planes to slide on the runways," Airports of Thailand said.

About 100 domestic flights normally operate from the airport each day.

Yingluck, who is facing her first major crisis since coming to power in August, said before the cabinet meeting that the evacuees sheltering there would also have to relocate.

The public holidays are designed to allow Bangkok's 12 million residents to brace for the floods now creeping towards the city centre after swamping other parts of the nation, killing some 360 people and damaging millions of homes.

"The public and private sectors have been urged to allow their flood-hit staff some time off, so that they would have a chance to look after their property and protect their homes," said the FROC statement.

Schools and government offices will be closed, but the central bank said financial markets would not shut down.

Bangkok governor Sukhumbhand Paribatra also made a televised address Tuesday warning residents along the Chao Phraya river in the capital to be on "full alert" after the waterway reached record highs of of 2.30 metres on Monday.

"If the situation continues in these circumstances, the water level this weekend will hit 2.60 metres, while our average flood embankment is 2.50 metres high," he said.

In the city centre, residents were lining up to buy bottled water directly from trucks resupplying shops, after days of panic buying emptied supermarket shelves.

Information about the floods has often been inconsistent, with politically inexperienced Yingluck apparently at odds with Bangkok's local administration, run by a rival party, and rumours of tensions with the army.

A defence official in Washington said the US navy had withdrawn several ships, including an aircraft carrier, sent to help with relief efforts in Thailand after receiving "mixed" messages from the Bangkok government.

"There were two channels (in the Thai government)," the defence official told AFP. "One was saying 'Yes' and one was saying 'No.'"

But Thailand's defence minister, General Yutthasak Sasiprapa, indicated that authorities felt they were able to handle the situation themselves.

"We have not denied their assistance, but we have our own aircraft so we would rather use ours," he told reporters, adding however that he was unclear over the details of the US offer and needed to check with the air force chief.

A spokesman from the US embassy in Bangkok said one ship from the US group had docked in Thailand on October 20 and its helicopters had since been on missions coordinated with the Thai army and other US agencies.

US Defense Secretary Leon Panetta, on a tour of Asia, "is closely monitoring the situation," spokesman George Little said in a statement.

"Thailand is a close ally, and we will continue to work with Thai officials to assess what they may need in the form of assistance from the United States," he added.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
My cousin, her husband and in-laws have already evacuated to Singapore last week as I advised. Forget about sandbags and sealant. Wasting time and money in vain. Fuck the furniture. Let it flood. Later go back after the flood is gone can buy new one. It's a natural disaster. Spending money is a must, but don't waste money.

Khun Ying Pojaman

Alfrescian
Loyal
my cousin, her husband and in-laws have already evacuated to singapore last week as i advised. Forget about sandbags and sealant. Wasting time and money in vain. Fuck the furniture. Let it flood. Later go back after the flood is gone can buy new one. It's a natural disaster. Spending money is a must, but don't waste money.

i thought this was more likely your advice ?

almost every oct/nov season there come flood warnings like that all over thailand. No big deal. Just don't mis-step into an overflowing canal. If you're a tourist, no problem. Your tourguide or hotel staff will help you deal with it smoothly. No tourist ever die or starve in a flood in a thai city. They're used to it and know what to do.

If you're staying there on longer term free and easy run road, do stock up some combat dry ration. Not to say you'll starve but let's say it can spare you some wet inconvenience on the street when the tide is high.

Last edited:

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i thought this was more likely your advice ?

That was then when the situation wasn't looking so serious. I'm no weather forecaster or tidal forecaster. Now the situation has changed, advice has to change. I'm not so stubborn as to insist I was and must be right all along. I admit the previous advice was no longer feasible. I place the interests of the people I advise first and foremost, not my ego. Anyway, there's nothing wrong with changing advice according to changing circumstances.

Khun Ying Pojaman

Alfrescian
Loyal
That was then when the situation wasn't looking so serious. I'm no weather forecaster or tidal forecaster. Now the situation has changed, advice has to change. I'm not so stubborn as to insist I was and must be right all along. I admit the previous advice was no longer feasible. I place the interests of the people I advise first and foremost, not my ego. Anyway, there's nothing wrong with changing advice according to changing circumstances.

The previous situation was serious; it's just that you didn't read the situation correctly.

Cruxx

Alfrescian
Loyal

正所谓识时务者为俊杰

chupacabra

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sinkees are pussies. A little bit of water come crying back to mama papa and lau lee. No brains to survive on their own.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Sinkees are pussies. A little bit of water come crying back to mama papa and lau lee. No brains to survive on their own.

a lot of highly mobile pussies will be traveling to sinkisland during the haitus...for coitus. watch out for the flood of hookers coming into changi.

Alamaking

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
My cousin, her husband and in-laws have already evacuated to Singapore last week as I advised. Forget about sandbags and sealant. Wasting time and money in vain. Fuck the furniture. Let it flood. Later go back after the flood is gone can buy new one. It's a natural disaster. Spending money is a must, but don't waste money.
Ur niece got come or not? Intro me leh.....

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Dear bros.

I apologise if I offend anyone here now. I hate this tread I mean the title of this thread about "Thailand disappearing"

I tell you the truth all brothers, even if fucking Sinkieland disappear, Thailand will still be there. What the fuck is this? Some flooding and one say Thailand is disappearing? Ramsie you can testify this is an annual occurrence right? Yes, its on a larger scale, but to say Thailand is disappearing is uncalled for. Its just a fucking flood yes and people dying yes, its Thais not Sinkies dying. Who has the right to say Thailand is disappearing? What the fuck?

Thais are Brother in Arms. Not like stinkie selfish Sinkies

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

These mist covered mountains, Are a home now for me
But my home is the lowlands, And always will be

Some day you'll return to, Your valleys and your farms
And you'll no longer burn, To be brothers in arms

Through these fields of destruction, Baptisms of fire
I've witnessed your suffering, As the battles raged higher
And though we were hurt so bad, In the fear and alarm
You did not desert me, My brothers in arms

There's so many different worlds, So many different suns
And we have just one world, But we live in different ones