• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

You die, your business

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Woman, 67, found dead in Henderson Road flat; husband taken to hospital unconscious​

yuccmaggotcollage3007.jpg

A neighbour who knocked on the woman’s door, which opened after he pushed on it lightly, said he saw that the flat floor was covered with maggots. PHOTOS: SHIN MIN DAILY NEWS
Christie Chiu

JUL 31, 2023

SINGAPORE – Police are investigating a case of unnatural death at Block 93 Henderson Road.
This follows the discovery of the body of a 67-year-old woman on Saturday. She was found lying motionless in a ninth-floor unit, and pronounced dead at the scene by a Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) paramedic.
The woman’s husband, who is 70, was found unconscious in the flat and taken to Singapore General Hospital.
Speaking to Shin Min Daily News, a neighbour, who gave his name only as Mr Xu, said he noticed an odd smell emanating from the flat for at least a week before the body was discovered.
Unable to bear the odour any more, Mr Xu – who lives in the opposite unit – called the police on Saturday morning.
He also knocked on the woman’s door, which opened after he pushed on it lightly, and he saw that the floor of the flat was covered with maggots.
The police said they were alerted to the incident at 10.17am. SCDF said it received a call for assistance about 20 minutes later.

Mr Xu, a 60-year-old cooking stall assistant, added that the couple would typically keep their front door open, but the door had been shut in the last few days.
Other neighbours that Shin Min spoke to said the couple relied on wheelchairs to get around. They also said the couple would usually leave their flat every morning to eat, but they had not been seen in days.
The police said they do not suspect foul play and investigations are ongoing.

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Man found unconscious in Henderson Road flat with his wife’s body dies in hospital​

PAT1031.JPG

The 70-year-old man was taken to Singapore General Hospital, where he subsequently died, said the police. PHOTO: SHIN MIN DAILY NEWS
byline230623.png

Ian Cheng
Correspondent

JUL 31, 2023

SINGAPORE – A 70-year-old man who was found unconscious on Saturday in a Housing Board flat at Block 93 Henderson Road died a day later.
The man was discovered in a ninth-floor unit on Saturday morning, along with the body of his 67-year-old wife.
He was taken to Singapore General Hospital, where he subsequently died, said the police in response to queries from The Straits Times on Monday.
On Saturday, the police said the wife’s death was classified as a case of unnatural death, but added that they did not suspect foul play.
Investigations are ongoing.
On Sunday night, a reporter from Chinese-language newspaper Shin Min Daily News saw the couple’s family members cleaning up their flat and the corridor.
A neighbour of the couple said the two had a close relationship with their children and grandchildren, who would visit on weekends, with the woman cooking for them on such occasions.

Another neighbour earlier told Shin Min that he had noticed an odd smell emanating from the flat for at least a week before he called the police on Saturday morning.
He had also knocked on the couple’s door – which opened after he pushed on it lightly – and he saw that the floor of the flat was covered with maggots.
According to the neighbour, the couple would typically keep their front door open, but the door had been shut in the last few days.
Other neighbours that Shin Min spoke to said the couple relied on wheelchairs to get around. They also said the couple would usually leave their flat every morning to eat, but they had not been seen in days.

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Unknown woman’s decomposed body found in flat, identified months later by bangle and watch​

afteban1408.jpg

The woman was declared dead at 6.45pm on April 24 in the flat on the fourth storey of Block 48 Teban Gardens Road. PHOTO: SCREENGRAB FROM GOOGLE MAPS
ds15042021_0.png

David Sun
Crime Correspondent

August 14, 2023

SINGAPORE - The elderly woman lived alone in her flat in Teban Gardens, with few to no visits from relatives or friends.
She was single, childless, and her parents were dead.
By the time her decomposed body was found in the kitchen toilet on April 24, her facial features were beyond recognition.
Her hands were so decayed that forensics officers could not lift her fingerprints.
She also had no teeth or dental records.
DNA pulled from her bone marrow proved futile in identifying her as well.
The authorities had tried matching it with her brother’s, but it revealed that they were not biologically related.

He told the police she was adopted.
With all three identification tests failing, the woman was marked simply as “Unknown”.
She was declared dead at 6.45pm on April 24 in the flat on the fourth storey of Block 48 Teban Gardens Road.

But on Monday, almost four months after she was found, “Unknown” was finally identified by the coroner as Madam Tham Yoke Hing, 66.
During the coroner’s inquiry into the case, investigation officer (IO) Benjamin Sim said a neighbour living in the unit directly below Madam Tham had water leakage issues from the ceiling on April 21.
He was unable to contact her to discuss the issues, and so called the Housing Board, who could not reach Madam Tham either.
The HDB contacted her elder brother, who then asked Madam Tham’s niece to check on her at the flat.

When the niece could not get a response after knocking on her door on April 24, she called the police.
The Singapore Civil Defence Force broke the lock at the gate to enter the flat, where they found the body.
IO Sim said there were no signs of forced entry or of a struggle, and the police did not suspect foul play.
He said the authorities had tried to identify the body using fingerprinting, dental records and DNA checks, which were unsuccessful. So, they relied on circumstantial evidence.
Neighbours said Madam Tham did not have relatives or friends visit her often, and she did not like visitors because of the state of her home. No details were provided in court regarding this.
They told the police Madam Tham would go to the market at 9am daily.
But the last time anyone saw her was two to three weeks before her body was found.
IO Sim said neighbours had always seen Madam Tham wearing a jade bangle and a metal watch.
These two items were found on the body, and neighbours recognised them.

State Coroner Adam Nakhoda said on Monday that as the bangle and watch were found on the body, and based on the evidence given by the neighbours, he accepted the body was that of Madam Tham.
Her cause of death was hypertensive heart disease, which was consistent with her known medical history.
The coroner ruled it was a death by natural causes, and extended his condolences to Madam Tham’s family.

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Forum: Too long a wait for SNEC appointment for subsidised patients​

AUG 12, 2023, 5:00 AM SGT

Recently, I called up the Singapore National Eye Centre (SNEC) to make appointments for my elderly parents to have their eyes checked.
My mum has cataracts and suffers from blurred vision, and my dad’s lower eyelid has been swollen for years. They were examined by a doctor at a polyclinic and were referred to the SNEC for further review and treatment.
I was shocked when I was informed by the SNEC that the next available appointment date as a subsidised patient is in September 2024, which is more than a year away. I was told that the long waiting time was due to a shortage of doctors.
The SNEC also said that if I opted for the non-subsidised route, the waiting time is shorter and the earliest date available is in October this year. But if I opted for no subsidy, it would have to be “non-subsidised all the way” and my parents would not be able to switch back to being subsidised patients.
As the waiting time for appointments for subsidised patients is way too long, I had no choice but to go for the non-subsidised route for my parents to get them an appointment as soon as possible.
Such inflexibility has financial implications, as the cost of cataract surgery without the appropriate subsidy is much higher.
I urge the Government to relook the healthcare scheme and subsidies, especially for the elderly, who may not be able to wait long to seek appropriate medical care.

Edwin Goh

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

SKH patient buys Panadol via foodpanda after long wait; hospital says it prioritises emergency cases​

yuelpanadolcollage.png

TikTok user Jombadok, in a video posted last week, claims that he waited for his painkillers for almost two hours before he decided to order them via foodpanda. PHOTOS: SCREENGRAB FROM TIKTOK
elainelee.png

Elaine Lee

Sep 19, 2023

SINGAPORE – Sengkang General Hospital (SKH) says it prioritises patients in emergency cases over the less serious ones, after an inpatient complained on TikTok that he had to buy painkillers via foodpanda after waiting for almost two hours at the hospital for the medicine.
In a Facebook post on Monday, SKH said it was aware of a TikTok video circulating online of a patient ordering Panadol via the food delivery app as a result “of an alleged lack of promptness by the hospital in addressing his needs”.
Addressing the allegation, SKH said it would like to assure the public that the patient’s care team had “rendered the appropriate care” based on his condition.
“SKH is committed to attending to every patient in a timely manner,” it added. “Patients with less acute conditions may sometimes experience longer waiting times compared with those who are being treated for serious urgent and life-threatening emergencies.”
TikTok user Jombadok, in a video posted last week, claims that he waited for his painkillers for almost two hours before he decided to order them via foodpanda. The reason for his hospitalisation is not explained.
“Can you imagine... (I’m) asking for Panadol and I cannot get the medicine from a first-world hospital... it is really ridiculous,” he says in the video.
Filming himself collecting his painkillers from a foodpanda delivery rider at the hospital lobby, he tells the rider, who appears surprised, about his situation. Jombadok does not say how long it took for his delivery to arrive.

He adds that it is his first time warded at SKH and he will be discharging himself from the hospital against medical advice the next day because he is unable to get medication from the hospital.
“No point. I might as well (stay) at home. I have my painkillers at home... (the hospital) is a let-down,” he says in the video.
The Straits Times has reached out to Jombadok and SKH for more information.

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Forum: Seniors living with families disadvantaged during means testing for nursing home subsidies​

SEP 20, 2023

My mum sold her three-room flat years ago to move into my eldest sister’s house to help look after my sister’s children.
Now, my mum has advanced dementia and my sister cannot look after her any more because she herself was recently diagnosed with cancer. She asked a social worker to help admit my mum to a nursing home. To our dismay, my mum was entitled to only 20 per cent subsidy.
The means test took into account the incomes of everyone in the household, including those of my sister’s two children who have just started to work. On the flip side, many of my friends’ parents who live in their own homes can get higher subsidies because there is no income in the household.
Such an approach to determining the amount of subsidy discourages old folk from living with their families. The higher bill is also taxing on young people’s income. After years of looking after her grandchildren, my mother has now become a burden to them.
In cases where a senior has moved into her family’s home, the authorities should look at just the senior’s individual assets to assess how much subsidy that person is entitled to, rather than the incomes of the people living with that person. My mum has no house and no savings.
It is really not easy to look after an advanced-stage dementia patient. I was also shocked to hear that my sister has to wait one or two years before my mum can be admitted to a nursing home.

Shirley Tay Sock Kim

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Forum: Why ask the elderly to do Zoom call when simple call will do?​

OCT 3, 2023

My mother is 81, and recently had to undergo an operation at KK Women’s and Children’s Hospital (KKH).
The hospital set the pre-admission financial counselling as a Zoom call, despite my mother telling the staff that she did not know what Zoom was or how to use it.
A few days before the scheduled Zoom call, she received two SMSes reminding her to join the call at the appointed time, and that a link would be sent to her in a separate SMS.
On the scheduled date, my mother had yet to receive an SMS containing the link, so I called KKH’s hotline to inform the hospital that we did not have access to the call. The hotline agent assured us that she would inform the clinic, which would assist us.
No calls came, and I had to make several calls again through the hospital’s hotline. After more than two hours of calling and waiting, I finally received a call, and the financial counselling was successfully completed over my mobile phone in five minutes.
I understand that Zoom calls can be productive for the young, but there are many seniors who are not tech-savvy, and will need their children or caregivers to take time off and be present to join and help with the Zoom call.
I asked the hospital why it needed to schedule a Zoom call if the counselling could have been done so easily with a phone call. The answer was that the Zoom call was necessary for signatures to be taken. I am not aware of how signatures can be collected via Zoom.

Better judgment should be exercised in the use of technology, and seniors should be offered other options that better meet their ability and needs. Technology should serve the elderly, not inconvenience them.

Ho Cheong Tong

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Man, 64, who lived alone found dead in Henderson Road flat​

A neighbour said that he appeared fine the day before his death.
Matthias Ang |
clock.png
October 09, 2023, 11:30 PM

Cover-image-7.jpg

A 64-year-old man was found dead in his flat on the third floor of Block 92 Henderson Road, Shin Min Daily News reported.

Neighbour: Appeared fine a day before his death​

According to a neighbour who was quoted by Shin Min, the man lived alone and was still seen by her on the evening of Oct. 6.
Adding that his death came as a shock to her, she said, "When I saw him, he looked like he was going out to buy food and he did not appear to have any problems."
She added that although he was not chatty, he would greet his neighbours and had supposedly lived in the flat for 40 years.
However, she pointed out that in recent few months, she could often hear him shouting in the flat for unknown reasons.

No foul play suspected​

The neighbour also claimed to see the elderly man lying on the floor naked when she passed by the unit after the police arrived on Oct. 7.
The police have classified the incident as a case of unnatural death.
The 64-year-old was pronounced dead at scene.
Following preliminary investigations, no foul play is suspected and investigations are ongoing.

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

SCDF officer charged over death of NSF who was allegedly left alone to fight Henderson Road fire​

wgt-slscdf-161023.jpg

Muhammad Kamil Mohamed Yasin was charged with one count of causing grievous hurt by a rash act which endangers life or the personal safety of others. ST PHOTO: KELVIN CHNG
ac_bylineSamuel1.png

Samuel Devaraj

Oct 16, 2023

SINGAPORE – A Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) officer who allegedly left a full-time national serviceman (NSF) to fight an HDB flat fire alone was charged on Monday.
The NSF, Sergeant 1 Edward H. Go, suffocated and died. The officer, Muhammad Kamil Mohamed Yasin, 38, was charged with one count of causing grievous hurt by a rash act which endangers life or the personal safety of others.
He is accused of exiting the fourth-floor unit at Block 91 Henderson Road on Dec 8, 2022, leaving Sgt 1 Go alone in the burning unit and failing to inform anyone about it.
Sgt 1 Go, 19, is the first firefighter to have died during an SCDF firefighting operation.
In a statement on Saturday, the Singapore Police Force said Kamil went against standard procedures by allegedly leaving Sgt 1 Go alone in the unit to fight the blaze without informing anyone.
The autopsy certified that Sgt 1 Go died of suffocation due to a depleted air cylinder. The police said investigations did not find any evidence to suggest Sgt 1 Go’s death was due to equipment failure.
In court on Monday, Kamil’s lawyer, Mr Ashwin Ganapathy, said he would like to interview another officer involved in the case.

District Judge Lorraine Ho said that while he was not allowed to contact prosecution witnesses, he could write in for permission to speak to the officer.
Kamil’s pre-trial conference will take place on Nov 17.
If convicted, he can be jailed for up to four years, fined up to $10,000, or both.

SCDF said on Saturday a second officer had been referred by the police for investigations related to the fire. This officer allegedly failed to adequately ensure the overall safety of the firefighting operation when he subsequently arrived and took over command and control of the incident, said SCDF.
SCDF has, for now, redeployed the officer to a non-supervisory and non-operational post.
A statement from SCDF the day after the incident said Sgt 1 Go’s crew immediately took him out of the Housing Board flat and administered cardiopulmonary resuscitation on him. SCDF paramedics there used an automated external defibrillator on him and took him to Singapore General Hospital. He was pronounced dead in hospital.
yuedwardgocollage1410.jpg

The SCDF officer had allegedly left Sergeant 1 Edward H Go (left) alone in the HDB flat to fight the fire, without informing anyone. PHOTOS: OBITS.SG, SCDF
MORE ON THIS TOPIC
SCDF officer to be charged over death of NSF who was allegedly left alone to fight fire
Family and friends bid farewell to NSF firefighter Edward Go at ceremonial funeral in Mandai
SCDF added then that Sgt 1 Go was certified medically fit before his enlistment and categorised under the physical employment standard (PES) as PES A. Servicemen in this category are considered suitable for front-line operational vocations such as firefighting.
In Parliament in January, Minister of State for Home Affairs Muhammad Faishal Ibrahim said Sgt 1 Go attained a gold standard in his individual physical proficiency test and an A grade in his breathing apparatus proficiency test.
These are tests all NSFs must go through before they can be deployed as firefighters.
He had also fared well in other mandatory course requirements and attended to nearly 60 fire and rescue calls after he was posted to Central Fire Station in May 2022.
Dr Faishal said that on the day of the incident, responding SCDF officers were delayed by 18 minutes, as the fire engine access way leading to the block was obstructed by a tent where a funeral was being held.
The officers had to remove bollards that were padlocked to the ground near the tent to create an access path, he added.
After the incident, SCDF conducted a review of its firefighting procedures, operational safety, equipping and training.
On Saturday, it said it audited more than 260 firefighting operations conducted between January 2021 and December 2022 to assess if they had appropriate command and control. The audit found the operations conducted were competent and safe, but there were occasional individual lapses.

True Believer

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why did the SCDF officer, Muhammad Kamil Mohamed Yasin abandon his subordinate in the midst of fighting the fire? He sounds like a coward with no care or compassion for his fellow firefighters. How did he ever become an officer is beyond me.

Last edited:

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Forum: Caregiving is different for those with fewer means​

NOV 10, 2023

It is heartening to know that more emphasis is given to understanding mental health issues (Parents take on caregiver role after son develops mental health issues, Nov 9). But it was also frustrating for me to read the article.
The caregivers mentioned seem to be fairly well-to-do, and can afford private healthcare for their child.
I am a single mother caring for three children below 16 who all have mental health issues at the moment. Two have been diagnosed with attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) with mood disorders, and the other is now having depression.
Sadly, I do not have the means to afford private healthcare for them and we have been referred to the Child Guidance Clinic at the Institute of Mental Health for the past year.
I find the support from public healthcare limited and there is not much collaboration between the psychiatrist or psychologist and schools and parents.
The waiting time is long and the session is short. I feel that I still need more answers and help after a session, and often leave frustrated.
If the long wait time is because IMH is short-staffed, more can be done to bring in more public healthcare staff.

I have also attended the caregivers-to-caregivers programme for persons caring for those with mental health issues mentioned in the article but again, at the end of the day, I need physical assistance, not just empathy from support groups.
I have written to the authorities for better support in the public healthcare system, especially for mental health issues. There are many more like me who need more help in this area. Right now, it is just draining to anyone looking for help.

Lok Pei Ping

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Woman and baby found dead at foot of Eunos block of flats, neighbours say she mostly kept to herself​

IMG1562.jpg

The police were alerted to the fall at Block 35 Eunos Crescent at about 12.40pm on Nov 5. PHOTO: ST READER
kolette.png

Kolette Lim

NOV 9, 2023

SINGAPORE – A 33-year-old woman and a one-year-old infant were found dead at the foot of a block of Housing Board flats in Eunos on Sunday afternoon.
When contacted, the police said they were alerted to the fall at Block 35 Eunos Crescent at about 12.40pm.
The woman and the baby were found lying motionless and were pronounced dead at the scene, they added.
It is believed that the pair are mother and daughter, reported Chinese-language news outlet Lianhe Zaobao.
A witness told Zaobao he saw that two people had fallen from the building when he left his flat after hearing a loud noise.
The child was wearing a diaper, he added.
Zaobao reported that two blue tents were spotted at the scene.

HZBLOCK051123.jpg

The woman and the baby were found lying motionless and were pronounced dead at the scene. PHOTO: LIANHE ZAOBAO
The police visited a unit on the fourth floor, believed to be where the pair lived, as part of their investigations.
Based on preliminary findings, they do not suspect foul play.
When The Straits Times visited the dead mother and child’s flat on Monday, family members declined to speak to reporters.

Madam Chew, a housewife who lives on the same floor, said the family had moved in about a year ago.
Speaking in Mandarin, she said: “Sometimes when we saw each other in the lift lobby, we would exchange greetings. But she largely kept to herself.
“It’s such a shame, her baby was so cute. She had just started growing her baby teeth.”
2023110648979910img1568.jpg

A bouquet of flowers left at the block by Reverend Lee Tay Lang Shifarong for the woman and infant. ST PHOTO: MARK CHEONG
Neighbours said the woman was often seen walking around the estate, pushing the baby in a pram.
A neighbour who lives in the opposite block and wanted to be known only as Ms Linda said: “It was always just her and the baby in the pram. Sometimes, she would be trying to put her kid to sleep.”
In 2011, a woman and her three-year-old son were found dead in Bedok Reservoir.
The bodies of Madam Tan Sze Sze, 31, and her son Jerald Chin Le Hui were found floating face down after they were reported missing for two days.
Madam Tan was reportedly suffering from depression and fighting with her estranged husband over the custody of their child.
In 2004, a mother and her two daughters were found dead at the foot of Block 53 Chin Swee Road.
Madam Yap Cheng Chui, 34, a housewife, was depressed as she was suffering from cancer. She used red strings to bind her wrist to her daughters, Kathleen, three, and Calista, two, before the trio leapt to their deaths.
  • Additional reporting by Andrew Wong and Joyce Z.K. Lim

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Woman and baby found dead at foot of Ghim Moh HDB block; second such case in a month​

ghimmoh.PNG

The 34-year-old woman and the three-week-old baby were found lying motionless and were pronounced dead at the scene. PHOTO: LIANHE ZAOBAO
Sherlyn Sim

Dec 3, 2023

SINGAPORE – A 34-year-old woman and a three-week-old infant were found dead at the foot of a Housing Board block in Ghim Moh on Dec 3 morning.
When contacted, the police said they were alerted to the incident at Block 29 Ghim Moh Link at about 11.15am.
The woman and the baby were found lying motionless and were pronounced dead at the scene by a Singapore Civil Defence Force paramedic.
According to Chinese-language news outlet Lianhe Zaobao, the pair are mother and son.
This is the second incident involving a double death in a month.
A 33-year-old woman and a one-year-old infant were found dead at the foot of an HDB flat in Eunos on Nov 5.
A witness, who wanted to be known as Mr Chen, said he saw the two bodies while passing by the HDB block, and immediately called the police.

Zaobao reported that two blue tents and several police officers were spotted at the scene.
Several people believed to be relatives of the deceased pair were seated nearby, with some covering their faces and crying, the paper added.
Based on preliminary findings, the police do not suspect foul play. Investigations are ongoing.

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Man found dead in Sengkang flat after neighbour alerted police about pungent smell​

Man found dead in Sengkang flat after neighbour alerted police about pungent smell

A 53-year-old man was found dead in his Sengkang flat on Wednesday (Dec 6).
PHOTO: Shin Min Daily News
Claudia Tan
PUBLISHED ON DECEMBER 07, 2023
By CLAUDIA TAN

Concerned about the stench emanating from her neighbour's flat, a Sengkang resident called the police.
When police officers arrived at the unit at Block 443B Fernvale Road on Wednesday (Dec 6) morning, they discovered that a 53-year-old man had died alone in his home.
According to Shin Min Daily news, about six police officers were at the scene.
The unit was also cordoned off.
The man's neighbour, who called the police, said that he moved into the flat about 11 years ago.
"I noticed a stench last week, but I didn't think it came from a decomposing body. I just thought it was odd that I hadn't seen my neighbour in a while."
The man was often in and out of the hospital, she said.
Although social workers visited his flat to deliver food, she didn't think anything was amiss when he did not come out to collect the food.
"The smell got stronger over time. No one answered when I knocked on his door, so I went to report the matter to the town council.
"They told me to contact the police, and that was how I realised he died in his home several days ago."
The woman recalled that two of the man's relatives visited him many years ago. They gave her their contact information but she lost their numbers after changing her mobile phone.
Responding to AsiaOne's queries, the police confirmed that they received a call for assistance at Block 443 Fernvale Road at about 10.35am on Wednesday.
A 53-year-old man was pronounced dead at the scene.
Based on preliminary investigations, the police do not suspect foul play.
Police investigations are ongoing.

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Elderly penalised for late settlement of medical bills​

Dec 14, 2023

Every three months, I visit Ang Mo Kio Polyclinic to treat my diabetes, high cholesterol and high blood pressure.

Unless full payment of outstanding medical bills is made at the polyclinic, patients will not get to see the doctor.

There are many seniors struggling to cope with the high cost of living. On previous occasions, I was denied medical care until I paid the outstanding amount in full. It is not right to deny medical care to seniors just because they are late with payments.

Raymond Anthony Fernando

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

'They depended on each other': Man allegedly spent 5 days with dead father's body in Hougang flat​

'They depended on each other': Man allegedly spent 5 days with dead father's body in Hougang flat

A man reportedly stayed with his elderly father's body for five days.
PHOTO: Shin Min Daily News
Claudia Tan
PUBLISHED ON DECEMBER 15, 2023

A man reportedly stayed in his flat with the body of his elderly father for about five days after the latter died.
The 81-year-old's body was finally discovered at about 11.15am on Thursday (Dec 14) inside his flat at Block 25 Hougang Ave 3, reported Shin Min Daily News.
A reporter from the Chinese daily who visited the block that day saw police officers stationed outside the unit. They also entered the flat several times while conducting investigations.
Shin Min also spoke to the elderly man's neighbours, one of whom shared that the elderly man's son is autistic. He is estimated to be in his 30s or 40s.
"They have lived here for almost 20 years, and they depended on each other. The elderly man had to take care of his son because he has autism," said the 25-year-old security guard.
She recalled that she last saw the elderly man earlier this month. His son had approached her on Dec 13, but walked away without saying a word.
"He walked up to our unit seemingly to talk to us. I thought it was quite strange as he hasn't spoken to us for more than 10 years. My mother asked if he needed help, but he walked away," the neighbour recounted.
"Now that I think of it, I feel a little sad. Maybe he wanted someone to help his father."

Elderly man was often worried about his son: Neighbour​

Another neighbour, Zheng Qingliang, 71, told Shin Min that he used to chat with the elderly man at the void deck every Sunday.
"I didn't see him last week, and the last time I saw him was two weeks ago. Before the pandemic he used to work part-time, but stopped working after. He also had some problems with his eye."
Zheng also shared that the elderly man often expressed his worries about his son after he passes on. He added that he's never met the elderly man's partner.
"I don't know if his wife is still alive, but father and son have always depended on each other."
According to Zheng, the elderly man's son attends a special needs school in Ang Mo Kio.
Zhang, who lives in the unit next to the elderly man, said both father and son have diabetes. She told Shin Min she hasn't seen the elderly man in four or five days.
Zhang added that she noticed a pungent smell coming from their flat some two days ago.
In response to AsiaOne's queries, the police confirmed that they were alerted to a case of unnatural death on Thursday.
They said that an 81-year-old man was found lying motionless in a residential unit and was pronounced dead at the scene.
Based on preliminary investigations, the police do not suspect foul play. Police investigations are ongoing.