• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

You die, your business

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Forum: Even a court order has not helped to protect us from chain-smoking neighbour​

Feb 11, 2023

A chain-smoking neighbour exposes my family to smoke every single day. The chain smoking starts as early as 4am and ends at midnight.
The exposure to toxic second-hand smoke has greatly affected our health, living and lives. My mother often suffers from coughing and throat irritation, which make it difficult for her to eat as she chokes easily.
Sometimes, the cigarette smell is so overwhelming that we have difficulty breathing. In addition, the smoke pollutes our house and makes it smell like the smoking corner of a coffee shop.
The incessant cigarette smoking indicates addiction. The side effect of nicotine addiction is that the smoker can become easily irritated and hostile when approached for a conversation. He becomes a health threat not only to himself but also to people around him, including innocent neighbours.
We obtained a court order from the Community Disputes Resolution Tribunals in June 2022, but this was not enough to stop the smoking. We then applied for a special direction and are now waiting for a hearing in March.
We urge the court to criminalise the act of chain smoking, which exposes others to ill health effects. Such a step would protect vulnerable people, and create a safer living environment.
The court should order chain smokers to undergo mandatory rehabilitation as a way to stop addictive smoking. They can be taught nicotine replacement therapy by using nicotine patches or nicotine gum. These are tobacco products that do not emit smoke or smell.

A financial penalty is also needed to ensure compliance with the law and to discourage a return to the habit.
Through these measures, I hope that the suffering caused by chain smoking will be reduced.

Chong Ling Eng

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Forum: Getting kids to school shouldn’t be so hard​

Feb 15, 2023

I can empathise with parents facing troubles over transport for their children at St Stephen’s School (School takes action to ease bus woes, Jan 30; Little choice but to rely on school buses, say parents, Feb 6).
I have four children: two in different primary schools, one in pre-school and the youngest is a baby.
My eldest child is in an all-girls school. Seven years ago when our second child was born, my husband and I took pains to buy a flat that was within 1km of an all-boys school for our son, as my husband is not an alumnus of any school in Singapore.
Regrettably, when we attempted to enrol the boy into that school, we were twice unsuccessful with the balloting process, and we had to enrol him in a school 8km away.
To compound matters, we subsequently found that the bus operator with his new school would not pick him up as we were not on the service route.
As for our third child in pre-school, the school bus operator has also stopped services for the past 1½ years, citing profitability issues. So we have had to figure out how to get three children to school on time, at around the same time, without school buses and without breaking the bank.
I had appealed to my MP and to the Ministry of Education for assistance to get my second child into the school that is within walking distance, but I was told this was not possible.

With all this talk of supporting families, it is my hope that the authorities will look into this issue.
Getting a child to school shouldn’t be so difficult. It is unrealistic to expect parents to own a car to ferry their children to and from school, or find people to accompany their children in a taxi or private-hire vehicle every day, twice a day.
There should either be guaranteed school bus services or a guaranteed place in a school that is within 1km of a child’s home.

Vicki Loh Hui-qi

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Woman who stepped into uncovered drain loses claim for more than $60k against town council​

20200402286741975fcbc94a-7040-418f-bae8-267ccf1d9bba_0.jpg

The town council, in defending its case, said Madam Chan Chui Yoke’s fall was the only such accident in the last 20 years. PHOTO: ST FILE
selinalum.png

Selina Lum
Senior Law Correspondent

Feb 21, 2023

SINGAPORE – A 71-year-old woman who sued the Holland-Bukit Panjang Town Council for more than $60,000 after she stepped into an uncovered part of a drain has lost her case after the judge decided it was unlikely for anyone to have fallen.
The town council, in defending its case, said Madam Chan Chui Yoke’s fall was the only such accident in the last 20 years as far as it knew.
In the 2021 incident in Bangkit Road, the drain had been left partially uncovered to facilitate cleaning and to prevent mosquito breeding in accordance with National Environment Agency guidelines, a property manager for the town council testified.
Said District Judge Teo Guan Kee: “Having regard to the limited likelihood of a person falling into the uncovered perimeter drain and suffering a significant injury, and balancing that against the consideration that the perimeter drain was left uncovered for a cogent and supportable reason, consistent with a practice commonly adopted by town councils, I am of the view that the defendant did not fall short of the duty of care which it owed to the plaintiff.”
In the suit, Madam Chan contended that she fell into the drain because the town council’s failure to properly clean the drain made it difficult to differente between the “dirty drain” and drain covers.
It was alleged that the town council negligently caused the accident by failing to cover the drains, failing to clean the drain covers and failing to warn residents or prevent them from crossing the drain.
Madam Chan, then 69, fell into the drain, which is near the block where she lives, on Feb 8, 2021.

She had crossed over the 25cm-wide, 36cm-deep drain from the pedestrian walkway to a turfed area to water some plants.
But as she was crossing back to the walkway, she accidentally stepped into the drain. She hit her face on the pavement and landed on her right hand.
Madam Chan, who was represented by Mr Muhammad Hariz Tahi of Clifford Law, fractured her right middle finger and tore her left Achilles tendon.
A witness who testified for Madam Chan, who has been living there since 1988, said he had seen people crossing over the drain but had not seen anyone fall.
The town council, represented by Ms Grace Tan of WhiteFern, admitted that it owed a duty of care to Madam Chan at the time of the accident, but contended that it did not breach this duty of care.
Ms Tan also highlighted that the drain was not intended as a means of access to the turfed area and that there were pavements and walkways which could have been used instead.
The judge, who issued his judgment, on Feb 17, said that while there was algae on the drain and drain covers, it was not clear that this increased the likelihood of someone stepping into the drain. The fact that there were no warning signs or barricade did not help Madam Chan.
“Put simply, despite the absence of warnings or barricades, no one has been known to suffer the kind of accident which now forms the basis of the plaintiff’s action,” he said.

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Forum: Long wait at polyclinic but still did not get to see doctor​

Mar 14, 2023

I wish to express my concern about the accessibility of public healthcare at polyclinics in Singapore.
Recently, I took my 19-year-old daughter who had a fever of 37.8 deg C to Bukit Batok Polyclinic and was told to queue for a time slot to see the doctor.
But we ended up not getting a time slot because my daughter was not considered a priority case, as she was neither a child nor an elderly person running a high fever.
While I acknowledge the need for prioritisation in a busy healthcare system, I am concerned that this may prevent people from accessing the healthcare they need, particularly for minor illnesses that could escalate into more serious conditions.
For many families, polyclinics may be their only option for healthcare, and not getting treatment could have dire consequences.
In my recent experience, being in the queue for nearly an hour before being told we would not get to see the doctor was frustrating.
Many Singaporeans, like myself, have employee benefits at polyclinics that can help defray the cost of healthcare. Even with the Community Health Assist Scheme benefit, private healthcare costs are still higher than those for public healthcare.

Policies on public healthcare accessibility at polyclinics should be reviewed to ensure that everyone can receive timely and appropriate care.

Patricia Goh

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

56-year-old pronounced dead more than 12 hours after being spotted at hawker centre table​

E7A6BBE5A587E6ADBB20220edited_0.jpg

The police said they were alerted to a case of unnatural death at 861 North Bridge Road at about 8.15pm. PHOTO: SHIN MIN DAILY NEWS READER
yonglixuan.png

Yong Li Xuan

Mar 20, 2023

SINGAPORE – When cleaning supervisor Liu Zhen Guang arrived for work at a hawker centre at 9am on Sunday, he spotted a man who appeared to be sleeping at a table.
But the 66-year-old did not think too much about it. After all, it is common to see people sleeping at the tables at North Bridge Road Market and Food Centre in the afternoon after busier periods, stall holders told Shin Min Daily News.
But at 8pm, Mr Liu called for help when the supposedly sleeping man did not respond when he shook and spoke to him.
The 56-year-old man was pronounced dead more than 12 hours after he was first spotted by Mr Liu.
Several stall owners also said they noticed the man sleeping at the table near a drinks stall and that he was first spotted at the hawker centre at about 3am on Sunday.
One of them, who did not want to be named, told Shin Min he saw a bowl of noodles on the table when he arrived for work in the morning.
At about 8pm, when Mr Liu was about to wash the floors, a diner reminded him to wake the man up.

Mr Liu told Shin Min that he shook the man and spoke to him for about three minutes before realising that the man did not respond.
So he called for help, and was told by the emergency dispatcher to check whether the man was breathing. He was not.
Said Mr Liu: “I feel a bit guilty. If I had tried to wake him earlier, maybe he could have come to and still be alive.”
aihawker2003_0.JPG

According to Shin Min’s observations, the police removed the body only at about 11pm after four hours of investigations. PHOTO: SHIN MIN DAILY NEWS READER
The police and SCDF said they were alerted to the incident at 861 North Bridge Road at about 8.15pm, and a person was pronounced dead at the scene by an SCDF paramedic.
The police removed the body only at about 11pm after four hours of investigations, reported Shin Min.
Based on preliminary investigations, the police said they do not suspect foul play.

gsbslut

Stupidman
Loyal

56-year-old pronounced dead more than 12 hours after being spotted at hawker centre table​

E7A6BBE5A587E6ADBB20220edited_0.jpg

The police said they were alerted to a case of unnatural death at 861 North Bridge Road at about 8.15pm. PHOTO: SHIN MIN DAILY NEWS READER
yonglixuan.png

Yong Li Xuan

Mar 20, 2023

SINGAPORE – When cleaning supervisor Liu Zhen Guang arrived for work at a hawker centre at 9am on Sunday, he spotted a man who appeared to be sleeping at a table.
But the 66-year-old did not think too much about it. After all, it is common to see people sleeping at the tables at North Bridge Road Market and Food Centre in the afternoon after busier periods, stall holders told Shin Min Daily News.
But at 8pm, Mr Liu called for help when the supposedly sleeping man did not respond when he shook and spoke to him.
The 56-year-old man was pronounced dead more than 12 hours after he was first spotted by Mr Liu.
Several stall owners also said they noticed the man sleeping at the table near a drinks stall and that he was first spotted at the hawker centre at about 3am on Sunday.
One of them, who did not want to be named, told Shin Min he saw a bowl of noodles on the table when he arrived for work in the morning.
At about 8pm, when Mr Liu was about to wash the floors, a diner reminded him to wake the man up.

Mr Liu told Shin Min that he shook the man and spoke to him for about three minutes before realising that the man did not respond.
So he called for help, and was told by the emergency dispatcher to check whether the man was breathing. He was not.
Said Mr Liu: “I feel a bit guilty. If I had tried to wake him earlier, maybe he could have come to and still be alive.”
aihawker2003_0.JPG

According to Shin Min’s observations, the police removed the body only at about 11pm after four hours of investigations. PHOTO: SHIN MIN DAILY NEWS READER
The police and SCDF said they were alerted to the incident at 861 North Bridge Road at about 8.15pm, and a person was pronounced dead at the scene by an SCDF paramedic.
The police removed the body only at about 11pm after four hours of investigations, reported Shin Min.
Based on preliminary investigations, the police said they do not suspect foul play.
wow...is it caused by vaccine?

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Elderly woman found dead in Holland Drive flat after neighbour notices foul smell​

unnamed2028229_2.jpg

The woman, a retired teacher who lived alone in the flat, was friendly and had a good relationship with her neighbours. PHOTO: SHIN MIN DAILY NEWS
isabelle%20Byline%20Template.png

Isabelle Liew

MAR 27, 2023

SINGAPORE - An 80-year-old woman’s decomposing body was found in her Housing Board flat on Sunday after a neighbour noticed a foul smell from the unit.
The woman, a retired teacher who lived alone, was friendly and had a good relationship with her neighbours, residents told Chinese-language newspaper Shin Min Daily News.
A spokesman for the police said they were alerted to a case of unnatural death at Block 11 Holland Drive at 1.55pm on Sunday, and the elderly woman was found lying motionless in the unit.
A resident who declined to be named said she returned home to find several police officers outside the woman’s unit. A locksmith opened the door at around 3pm.
“I hadn’t seen her for a week. I thought she was away and didn’t turn on the lights at night,” the resident told Shin Min.
“Everyone called her ‘teacher’, as she used to teach at a nearby primary school. Every evening when she went for dinner, she would stop and chat with us.”
The resident said the woman’s next-door neighbour called the police due to the putrid smell.

The body was removed from the unit at around 5pm.
The resident added that the woman, who was unmarried, once said she was born in 1943.
A 70-year-old resident who wanted to be known only as Mr Hong said the woman had lived there for 40 years and everyone knew her well.
Other residents told Shin Min that the woman used to live with her elder sister until the latter died. According to them, the sister’s children never visited her.
The police said they do not suspect foul play. Investigations are ongoing.

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Open verdict on skeletal remains found in Toa Payoh flat after rent went unpaid for two years​

fhtpy070423_0.jpg

When HDB officers went to the unit at Block 15, Toa Payoh Lorong 7, on June 16, 2022, they found old fliers outside the locked door. PHOTO: SCREENGRAB FROM GOOGLE MAPS
ac_bylineSamuel1.png

Samuel Devaraj

Apr 7, 2023

SINGAPORE - Over two years, officers from the Housing Development Board visited a Toa Payoh flat eight times as rent was unpaid.
When contractors broke open the door on June 16, 2022, after it was decided to repossess the unit, skeletal remains of an unidentifiable person were found.
On Thursday, State Coroner Adam Nakhoda ruled an open verdict in the case. He said that while DNA evidence indicated that the remains likely belonged to Madam Cheng Ah Imm, a 73-year-old woman who had been living in the unit, this could not be determined with certainty.
The court heard that Madam Cheng had lived in the fourth-floor unit at Block 15, Toa Payoh Lorong 7, with one of her brothers until 2016 when he moved to a home.
The last time rent was paid was on March 23, 2020.
Investigation Officer Soon Zhi Yuan testified a neighbour said she had seen an elderly woman at the unit in 2021, but did not know who she was.
When HDB officers went to the unit on June 16, 2022, they found old fliers outside the locked door.

DNA samples obtained from an oxygen mask used by Madam Cheng’s brother was compared to the remains. It showed that the two sets of DNA belonged to siblings.
As the sample was not obtained directly from the brother, it was not enough to prove conclusively that the remains belonged to Madam Cheng, said State Coroner Nakhoda.
The police had ruled out foul play.
In 2020, remains of a woman in her 80s were found at The Shore Residences, a condo in Amber Road near Katong Shopping Centre.
She had not been seen outside her home for months and letters began piling up at her door.
Mr Lim Biow Chuan, who is MP for Mountbatten SMC, was told about the “missing” woman and he notified the police.
In another case, National Environment Agency officers entered a house in Sembawang Hills Estate for a mosquito check in 2006 after complaints from neighbours. The workers found a human skeleton in a toilet.
In September 2015, a contractor hired by the Building and Construction Authority entered the same house to erect a temporary roof after parts of it had collapsed. A worker clearing rubble from a bedroom found another set of bones – a human skull and a thigh bone.
The house belonged to a pair of reclusive sisters who would have been 81 and 68 respectively in 2006. The state coroners in both cases ruled out foul play, and declared an open verdict on the causes of death as these could not be determined.

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Forum: Help tissue paper sellers find other ways to earn a living​

Apr 15, 2023

I’ve been seeing more tissue paper sellers in crowded public places, where they’ve become a nuisance. The public does not need this service, as tissue paper is cheap and readily available.
I gave a few of these sellers $2 each, and started talking to them. One divulged that he was from Malaysia. I spoke to another in Little India, who told me she was from Hougang, but stationed herself in Little India because of the better footfall.
I reported three tissue sellers stationed at the exit of City Hall MRT station. The authorities followed up and said that one of the sellers had a licence.
I hope the authorities will do more to help the less fortunate engage in better activities to earn a living. They can be referred to seniors’ centres or agencies offering simple jobs or free food, or given financial help to eradicate this practice of selling tissues, which is akin to begging.

Henry Ong Kok Seong

Hypocrite-The

Alfrescian
Loyal
Can't claim vehicle repair cost because the other driver did not report the accident?
You die, your business!

Forum: Unsuccessful motor insurance claim because other party did not report accident​

JAN 1, 2022

My car was hit from behind by another car, and the accident was recorded by my in-vehicle camera. I made an accident report and a third-party claim.
Despite having video evidence that the accident had been caused by the other party, my third-party claim was unsuccessful because the other party did not make an accident report.
Even after reminder letters were sent, the other party refused to report the accident. Reminders with no legal consequences seem ineffective.
Engaging a lawyer to sue the other party is an option but this may be more costly than the repair work.
This leaves me with only the option of making a claim on my own insurance. This would affect my insurance premiums and my no-claims discount.
Searching online, I have found many others caught in the same predicament and feeling helpless.
It does not make sense to me that those who cause accidents with no injuries can get away scot-free by not reporting the accident.

The General Insurance Association of Singapore has published a set of guidelines on its website on what should be done in this scenario. However, these have no legal weight.
It is time to fix this motor insurance loophole.

Lim Gee Wee
How come such crimes are not criminal In nature? Mata don't want to work?

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Man found dead in Serangoon flat after neighbours notice strong smell​

2S7A3678_0.JPG

Neighbours had detected a strong smell coming from the Serangoon Avenue 4 flat where the 54-year-old man was found dead. PHOTO: SHIN MIN DAILY NEWS
Chin Hui Shan, Nadine Chua and Rebekah Chia
UPDATED

Apr 18, 2023

SINGAPORE - A 54-year-old man was found dead in a Serangoon flat on Monday evening after neighbours detected a strong smell coming from the unit.
The man was lying motionless and pronounced dead at the scene by a Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) paramedic, said the police, who were alerted at 7.30pm.
Investigations are ongoing, but the police do not suspect foul play.
When The Straits Times arrived outside the ninth-storey flat at 223A Serangoon Avenue 4 on Tuesday afternoon, there was a rancid smell.
Police cordons had been cleared but hair and brown stains, some in the shape of footprints, were seen outside the unit.
2S7A3697_0.JPG

The body being taken away, after the man was found lying motionless and pronounced dead at the scene by an SCDF paramedic on Monday evening. PHOTO: SHIN MIN DAILY NEWS
Madam Yap Mei Yun, 51, who lives three units away from the dead man, said she was shocked when she returned to her flat at 11pm on Monday and saw the area cordoned off by police.
Said Madam Yap: “I was not sure what happened, but I knew it was definitely serious. There was also a strong, lingering smell, so I had to close my door and windows.”

She said the man had lived alone for more than 14 years.
Madam Yap, who is unemployed, added: “He kept to himself, but would smile at neighbours. Late last year, he put his items, like car accessories, dog food and a baby stroller, at the staircase landing of the ninth storey. It was strange as I didn’t think he had a child.”
A retired cleaner, who wanted to be known only as Madam Soh, 71, said the man’s next-door neighbours called the police when they noticed the strong smell.

Residents told ST they believe the man had been hoarding items, and that he rarely had visitors.
Mr Jay Ghalib, 57, who often visits his mother and sister who live on the ninth storey of the block, said: “Four months ago, the deceased placed many of his items inside the water and electrical meters. We found out only when my sister saw cockroaches there.
“My sister called the town council, and the items were cleared within a few days. There were also notices put up to remind residents not to place their items in there as they could be a hazard.”
The retired personal driver said the dead man was soft-spoken and friendly, and would ask about his day when they met in the lift.
Mr Ghalib said: “We are very sad to hear he died. We don’t even know how many days he was gone before he was found.”

ST has contacted Aljunied-Hougang Town Council for more information.
In November 2021, the body of a 72-year-old man was found by police in Towner Road in Whampoa. The following day, relatives of the man were at the unit to clear various items, including discarded boxes, plastic bags stuffed with papers, and furniture.
In 2019, The New Paper reported that a 68-year-old man was found dead in a Bedok North flat after officers from SCDF spent hours in the unit wading through piles of junk to get to his body.
A hydraulic tool had to be used to get into the unit and more than 10 large bins of junk were removed.

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Forum: Spare a thought for the elderly on tray return rule​

June 6, 2023

I read with dismay that an 80-year-old man was one of the first people issued with a warning ticket for not returning his tray after a meal at a hawker centre (At least one written warning issued on first day of stricter enforcement to return trays, June 2).
By inference, when caught the next time, he will be fined.
The National Environment Agency (NEA) has said that “those able to bring the trays and food to the table on their own should likewise be able to return their trays and used crockery”.
What NEA failed to consider is that the elderly would usually sit nearest to the stall they patronise because of their difficulty in balancing a laden tray.
In fact, I have also often seen stallholders take food orders to elderly customers.
Instead of punishing seniors who may have difficulty making their way to a tray return station that could be several metres away, we should take their physical condition into consideration and help them.
Isn’t this the inclusive, kind society we want to encourage?

Margaret Chong

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Forum: Digitalisation push causing seniors to be left out of CC events​

June 22, 2023

Several events organised by Hwi Yoh Community Centre (CC), such as the upcoming Fruits Fiesta on July 9, require scanning a QR code for registration and payment.
When my mother, a 77-year-old socially active senior, asked whether she could register directly with the CC without using the QR code, the answer was a firm no and that she should ask her own children for help.
While I am willing and able to help my mother with the registration, this digital process inconveniences seniors, especially those who are childless or not living with their children.
The QR code registration is a complicated process for many seniors who are not digitally savvy – they may not know how to scan the QR code, log in using their Singpass account at the directed website, and input credit card details for payment.
My mother said that due to the compulsory digital registration, many of her elderly friends exclude themselves from CC activities because they do not want to trouble their children over such trivial tasks.
The unintended social exclusion of these seniors goes against current policy emphasis on ageing-in-place and social connectedness among them.
The push for digitalisation is necessary to ensure Singapore meets its Smart Nation objectives, but it should not come at a cost to senior citizens’ independence and dignity. Some seniors may not want or are unable to bridge the digital knowledge and skill gaps.

A more balanced approach is needed to ensure that non-tech-savvy seniors are not left behind. Alternative non-digital registration methods must be made available to allow them to join in community activities without overcoming an avoidable digital hurdle.

Lim Aik Meng

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Forum: Unsure if circuit breaker in flat meets requirement​

UPDATED

1 HOUR AGO

FacebookTwitter

All homes will be required to have a residual current circuit breaker (RCCB) installed by July 1, 2025, or face a fine (HDB and private homes must have a circuit breaker by July 1, 2025, May 13).
As I am unsure if the circuit breaker in my flat is an RCCB, I wrote to the Energy Market Authority (EMA) and my town council with a photo of my circuit breaker box. EMA has yet to reply to my query, while the assistant property manager from the town council sent a reply repeating what was said in the pamphlet that EMA had sent to households.
Considering the severity of the matter, it is frustrating that there seems to be no other avenue for assistance on this.
Many residents would not know what an RCCB looks like, especially if it is different from the one shown in the pamphlet. Are residents expected to hire an electrician just to check and confirm that the circuit breaker works? That would come at a cost.
While I am in favour of the installation of the RCCB to help prevent electrical faults, the programme’s roll-out could have been done much better.

Alan Kiat-Leng Lee

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Safety lapses led to death of trainer at Police Coast Guard HQ: Coroner​

ac_bylineSamuel1.png

Samuel Devaraj

June 30, 2023

SINGAPORE - Multiple safety lapses led to the death of a Police Coast Guard (PCG) trainer, who fell into the water and was struck by the propeller of a safety craft.
Coroner Christopher Goh said this in his report dated June 21.
Mr Ong Siang Thai was the conducting officer of a dive training session on July 20, 2022, which was held at the PCG’s headquarters at Brani Base.
The incident happened as the 56-year-old was preparing the safety craft and loading diving equipment onto the craft. The trainees were nearby and readying their dive gear.
Mr Ong’s colleague, Mr Melvin Tan, saw the trainer in a half-squat position and cranking the engine of the outboard motor of the safety craft.
This was less than ideal for balance compared to a seated position, said the coroner. But he added that the final position when cranking the engine is up to the person steering the boat.
At some point, there was an over-throttling of the engine, which caused the craft to jerk. Mr Tan saw Mr Ong lose his balance and footage captured by the closed-circuit television (CCTV) system showed him falling backwards into the water.

The footage also showed the craft hitting the wall of a pontoon and circling back towards Mr Ong. He was then seen swimming towards the oncoming craft, which went over him.
The trainees, who were in a nearby hangar, heard the loud revving of the engine and Mr Tan’s shout for help. They rushed out and saw him in the safety craft with a body floating beside it.
Several officers then jumped into the water and found Mr Ong stuck to the boat’s propeller. A knife, which was found on Mr Ong, was used to cut him free.

He was still breathing but had suffered numerous wounds on his body.
The officers pulled Mr Ong out of the water and carried him to the hangar. A medic, who was undergoing a different course nearby, tried to resuscitate him.
There were deep cuts across his mouth that extended to the neck region, and he had multiple cuts across his chest.
At about 11.30am, the police were informed and a Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) ambulance arrived soon after.
By then, Mr Ong was not breathing and no pulse could be detected. His skin was cool to the touch.
At about 11.45am, the SCDF paramedic pronounced him dead.
An autopsy was conducted the next day and the cause of death was certified as haemorrhage from chest and facial injuries with drowning.
Coroner Goh noted that Mr Ong, who was considered a competent and experienced diver, was previously a regular with the Singapore Armed Forces, and had served his entire career with the Naval Diving Unit.
At the time of the incident, he was employed by consultancy services and training firm Citadelle, which was contracted to provide dive training for PCG trainees.
The cororner said no foul play was suspected in Mr Ong’s death, and highlighted that police and Ministry of Manpower investigations concluded that the circumstances that led to it were likely contributed by several safety lapses.
Among other things, Mr Ong had failed to attach a kill cord to himself. According to boating websites, the cord works by deactivating a craft’s engine when the pilot is separated from the boat.
Coroner Goh agreed with the agencies’ findings.
He highlighted that the danger of not attaching the kill cord was more obvious in an enclosed space, where there was a higher likelihood of a craft hitting the person in the water.
He also noted that Mr Ong was not wearing a life jacket at the timie of the incident.
The coroner ruled his death as an unfortunate misadventure.

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Forum: Time to do more to rein in reckless cyclists​

JL120copy.jpg

After finishing lunch at East Coast Lagoon Food Village on Sunday, Ms Jodi Lai and her family made their way home, walking first towards the Singapore Wake Park. But what was a leisurely stroll on a path used by both cyclists and pedestrians ended terribly when a fast-moving bicycle crashed on them photo: Jodi Lai/Facebook

July 3, 2023

I refer to the article “Mum and toddler hurt after cyclist crashes into them at East Coast Park” (June 29). I have written about reckless cyclists and the near-collisions I witnessed there (Accident waiting to happen at East Coast Park, Feb 24, 2021).
The recent accident at East Coast Park is probably only the tip of the iceberg, with countless other incidents going unreported.
The family’s description of what happened is consistent with what I have observed of similar incidents, where some cyclists insist on treating shared paths as their own little race track.
The recent accident has highlighted two issues.
First, there is a lack of accountability on the part of the cyclist. Due to difficulties in licensing and registering bicycles, cyclists are able to get away with bad behaviour and dangerous actions without facing any consequences.
This incident is akin to a hit-and-run accident. In this case, the cyclist hurt two people and gave the family two phone numbers, but is uncontactable.
I would suggest to anyone involved in such incidents to establish the cyclist’s identity against his identity documents, or to at least take photos of the cyclist and bicycle to aid police investigations. This is what motorists would do in a traffic accident.

The second issue is safety. I would suggest that bicycle speed-limit signs be displayed prominently in areas where cyclists share the path with pedestrians. Cycling is allowed on footpaths up to a maximum speed of 10kmh. Although it is hard to gauge a cyclist’s speed, such signs would at least serve as a reference point for pedestrians to confront cyclists who appear to be riding too fast.
I have also often seen cyclists on the road going way too fast for their own good, darting recklessly in between vehicles. Bicycles are smaller, vulnerable and often not so easily visible to motorists, so cyclists’ speed limits should be lowered to safeguard themselves and motorists.
The current measures in place regulating cyclists seem grossly inadequate. It is high time the authorities took more definitive measures.
Kevin Sng

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Forum: Better protection on job security for workers at age 63​

August 12, 2023

I refer to the report on Senior Minister of State for Manpower Koh Poh Koon’s response to a query by Sembawang GRC MP Vikram Nair on the rationale for workers who lose their retrenchment benefits entitlement to be entitled only to Employment Assistance Payment (EAP) when they reach 63 (Employment Assistance Payment should not be compared to retrenchment benefits, Aug 3).
I was previously a senior legal officer with a statutory board that retired me when I reached the statutory retirement age of 63 without offering me the option of re-employment on contract under the Retirement and Re-employment Act 1993.
I was shocked by this decision after working in the organisation for more than 18 years, as I had no reason to believe that I was not eligible to be offered re-employment on contract under the Act. No specific reasons were given, except that no suitable position could be found for me in the organisation, and the ones offered to me were not compatible with my experience and qualifications.
As I was already a senior legal officer at the top end of my pay scale, the EAP cap of $14,750 offered to me, presumably to assist me in finding a new job, is small comfort as my monthly take-home pay was higher.
At 63, it would be difficult for me to secure suitable employment commensurate with my experience and qualifications. I would have been better off being a unionised member under a collective agreement, as the employer would have to compensate me with retrenchment benefits of one month’s pay for every year of service, with a cap. Although I was a general branch member of my union, it could not assist me, nor did it succeed in its appeal to the senior management on my behalf.
Under the Act, I would have been entitled to work until 68 years if the employer had offered me re-employment under contract. Although there is a statutory recourse under the Act against the employer, I am not confident if any appeal would succeed.
I support the call for more protection for workers like me, as there is no job security when the employee reaches the statutory retirement age. The consequence of my retirement is no different from an employee being retrenched or having his services terminated.

Winston Chew Choon Teck

syed putra

Alfrescian
Loyal
Can't afford a $250 ambulance ride?
You die, your business!

Forum: Hefty bill for five-minute ambulance trip within hospital grounds​

Jan 11, 2022

I had five molars extracted at the National Dental Centre Singapore (NDCS) on Dec 29 last year, after which I developed severe reactions, namely high fever, excruciating pain, breathlessness and uncontrollable shivering.
The dental surgery team decided I should be taken by ambulance immediately to Singapore General Hospital's (SGH) accident and emergency (A&E) department for further investigation and treatment.
My daughter and I had to wait about 40 agonising minutes for me to be transported by a private ambulance. The five-minute trip from NDCS to the A&E cost $250.
Was my case not considered an emergency? We were not even consulted on whether we were willing or able to pay for a private ambulance. What if we couldn't afford it?
SGH should be able to manage its own patient conveyance facilities within the hospital instead of using an outside contractor which helps little in patients' comfort and health.

Tan Pin Ho
Outsourcing

syed putra

Alfrescian
Loyal

Forum: Airlines can do more to help when border rules change​

Jan 26, 2022

Travelling during the Covid-19 pandemic is challenging, as one has to grapple with, among other things, documents, insurance and border restrictions.
It does not help when airlines do not address booking issues.
In mid-December, I booked a flight to Western Australia for Feb 5 on Scoot.
However, the state's border restrictions changed recently, closing it off to non-Australians.
I have tried calling and e-mailing Scoot to ask for a refund but its phone line is always busy. I have been on hold for more than an hour, with no success.
I have filled up online forms, but, apart from an automated acknowledgement, there has been no reply to date.
Singapore Airlines has announced that all eligible passengers affected by the new border restrictions can have their tickets refunded if they wish.

I hope Scoot, which operates under the umbrella of Singapore Airlines Group, can uphold the image of the group and improve service standards.

Anita Thaver
I believe in jiu hu, with photo evidence of accident, can claim from the other party.