• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

WP

nato33

Alfrescian
Loyal
You'll realize how focused he is on his grounds and target voters when you realize Joo Chiat is all landed and condo.

He may have made a mistake when he said no upgrading is needed and Charles Chong latched on to that and Shitty Times featured some old folks (probably in Telok Kurau area) that had some problems with drains that had not been upgraded. This could have cost him the 300 + votes that ultimately cost him the elections :-(

quincey_m

Alfrescian
Loyal
Nope, a chapalang merger or coalition is not the way forward. The WP as we know today is so successful as it is because it has resisted the amateurish and short sighted maneuvers of the other political parties - loaning candidates, mass exodus, liberally accepting candidates from mass exoduses. Such refrain is part of WP's squeaky clean and respectable image. Do we seriously want to destroy all of that by srsly inviting the likes of Desmond Lim into the stable?

But yes, I gather all ur concerns abt the lack of progress within the rest of the opposition field. It is a concern, because these parties can literally just stick around with mediocre returns, and in return prevent other parties from expanding into their "territory", case in pt, Lim Bak Chuan who promises that he'll be back, when obviously with the kind of personalities in that party, they are going nowhere.

Even so, political evolution in opposition politics in Singapore has to come naturally, and we as an electorate have to play our part in that process. We need to send a clear signal to parties who CMI that we expect a higher standard of our politicians, and if they do not meet our expectations, they need to bite the dust and disperse into oblivion for the greater good.

dankos

He may have made a mistake when he said no upgrading is needed and Charles Chong latched on to that and Shitty Times featured some old folks (probably in Telok Kurau area) that had some problems with drains that had not been upgraded. This could have cost him the 300 + votes that ultimately cost him the elections :-(

all this while joo chiat under chan soo sen also never bother to do anything with the drains. lazy fuck css. tui.

Last edited:

cheowyonglee

Alfrescian
Loyal
if wp have someone like deng li jun to contest in AMK, hahahaha... our MM Lee will be the first to run road liao!!! LOL...

deng_lijun.jpg

IR123

Alfrescian
Loyal
I'm thinking more on "poaching'' the opposition parties as a whole like RP merge with WP. Not so much about individual members.
Really, it will takes how many more donkey years for any other parties to made any inroad to parliament.

I sincerely hope not. A merger with RP is a death knell to the WP.

Each political party has its own agenda and if elected, will seek to implement its pet theories on running Singapore. One will seek the abolishment of the death penalty, another will seek to entrench gay rights, yet another seek to implement his type of love for Singapore, etc, etc. All playing to the dissatisfaction of the voters against the PAP. The erroneous conclusion is that all the oppositions are the same.

Since their goals are diverse, it is best for them to retain their individual identities. If they lose, they lost and for some, hopefully exit. That is the best for all. Some, like the PAP are graceful and gracious about their defeat. One blamed the voters. Yet another seek to implement their own understanding of the election laws.

Note that from the next election onwards, it will no longer be PAP vs the Opposition but PAP vs WP. The rest are at a distinct disadvantage.

I sincerely hope that the WP will take advantage of their first-mover rights and expand their mindshare, goodwill and demonstrate their ability to manage a GRC so that in the next election, people will not consider the other parties except the WP. There is no need and indeed inadvisable for the WP to share their knowledge with the others. Why dilute your advantage?

Done properly, WP will evolve into an alternative party with no equals and no pretenders. Given their middle-of-the-road manifesto, this is best for Singapore.

IR123

Alfrescian
Loyal
And the WP should consider bringing the Joo Chiat candidate and one of the East Coast candidates into Parliament as NCMPs. They may have no voting power but they will add to the vocal strength of the 6 elected candidates. It will also give them the exposure so that in the next Election, (1) they will have a distinct advantage over any of the oppositions that try to muscle into their territory and (2) their stint in Parliament will manifest in a greater sense of authority when they speak.

Forgoing their rightful places as NCMPs will mean that their position as the de-facto opposition party will be eroded by the vessels that take their places.

More importantly, these vessels may make more noise in Parliament than the WP leading the voters to feel that they make a wrong choice in voting the opposition. Then through no fault of their own, WP is tarred by the actions of the other oppositions.

Besides these WP candidates earned the NCMPs position.

Last edited:

Forvendet

Alfrescian
Loyal

Perhaps so, lacking political experience as first-timer. Politically incorrect comment, I agree, might as well don't say anything about it and talk about other things.

Forvendet

Alfrescian
Loyal
And the WP should consider bringing the Joo Chiat candidate and one of the East Coast candidates into Parliament as NCMPs. They may have no voting power but they will add to the vocal strength of the 6 elected candidates. It will also give them the exposure so that in the next Election, (1) they will have a distinct advantage over any of the oppositions that try to muscle into their territory and (2) their stint in Parliament will manifest in a greater sense of authority when they speak.

Forgoing their rightful places as NCMPs will mean that their position as the de-facto opposition party will be eroded by the vessels that take their places.

Besides these WP candidates earned the NCMPs position.

Many people still think NCMP can't vote in Parliament, just talk only. That's not true. They can vote on most legislative bills. Only three bills excluded, constitution, finance and defence.

dankos

Many people still think NCMP can't vote in Parliament, just talk only. That's not true. They can vote on most legislative bills. Only three bills excluded, constitution, finance and defence.

but cannot even write letter to govern bodies. i mean they can write but govern bodies are specifically told not to respond to NCMP. sylvia lim brought this up during 1 of their rallies.

IR123

Alfrescian
Loyal

My main thought is that the voting is a secondary issue. The primary issue is to entrench their position and to prevent the other opposition from making a circus resulting in loss of confidence in the opposition. The WP can never control the actions of others but they can control their own actions.

8 WP candidates and perhaps one aunty is a good start. Even Nicole Seah looks good but her entry should not be at the expense of the WP. The WP need to give its people the exposure so that come next election, people will remember them.

Forvendet

Alfrescian
Loyal
My main thought is that the voting is a secondary issue. The primary issue is to entrench their position and to prevent the other opposition from making a circus resulting in loss of confidence in the opposition. The WP can never control the actions of others but they can control their own actions.

8 WP candidates and perhaps one aunty is a good start. Even Nicole Seah looks good but her entry should not be at the expense of the WP. The WP need to give its people the exposure so that come next election, people will remember them.

Yes, Sylvia Lim used her five years of NCMP very well and now is MP. So I don't think there's any way WP is going to give up any NCMP entitlement. Nothing wrong with that, they owe nobody anything, it's the result that counts.

The NCMP preceeding Sylvia was Steve Chia, but he didn't, or should I say couldn't capitalize and convert it to MP. I think that reflects a big difference in between NSP and WP party machinery, strategy and efficiency.

Last edited:

IR123

Alfrescian
Loyal
I really look forward to the WP, now having cleared the GRC hurdle, will race towards the finishing line whilst the other oppositions languished behind.

A two-party system will lead to stability, debated decisions and reasoned Parliamentary voting. The quality of their leaders may in time (perhaps within the three elections) lead to ministerial openings and a prime minister alternative. If so, then Singapore will emerge from an effective one-party rule to one in which there is a balance of perspectives.

Having experienced first-hand the PAP's leadership in the past five years, I say that this is definitely the best for Singapore. Not like what one PAP leader said, "Majullah PAP", also not "Majullah WP" but "Majullah Singapura".

IR123

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think that reflects a big difference in between NSP and WP party machinery, strategy and efficiency.

Actually I am a bit sympathetic to GMS' NSP. I would love to see a team comprising him, Nicole, Tony, Hazel and a creditable minority of the likes like Pritnam Singh in the next election.

Forvendet

Alfrescian
Loyal
but cannot even write letter to govern bodies. i mean they can write but govern bodies are specifically told not to respond to NCMP. sylvia lim brought this up during 1 of their rallies.

NCMP or NMP being unelected cannot hold official meeting people session or write official letters on behalf on residents since they're unelected and have no constituency to represent. This I can accept as fair practice. The point Sylvia Lim was trying to make was obviously not about giving NCMP more power, but about voters voting in more opposition MP.

Last edited:

Forvendet

Alfrescian
Loyal
Actually I am a bit sympathetic to GMS' NSP. I would love to see a team comprising him, Nicole, Tony, Hazel and a creditable minority of the likes like Pritnam Singh in the next election.

I think for the preceding weeks run-in to election, most of us were expecting that. I've no idea why he spread them all so thin all cross everywhere and lose everything. :(

Rimururu

Alfrescian
Loyal
WP is on its way to becoming a strong party that slowly, many Singaporeans can accept. We might be reaching a political climate like the US and UK. Two strong parties that people can choose from. If only Chiam had a listening CEC back then, SDP might have become a strong opposition party with credibility.

IR123

Alfrescian
Loyal
If only Chiam had a listening CEC back then, SDP might have become a strong opposition party with credibility.

Ifs and ifs. Hardly worth a thought.

What matters is that today, singapore politics no longer need Chiam.

The landscape is changing and new methodologies are coming forth. Even the PM engages voters online. A laudable effort by him. The WP will evolve to become more relevant and effective. A bit of discernable change here and there, but the effort must have been tremendous for LTK. For that, I respect him in making the effort to evolve his party from the static position of the past.

steffychun

Alfrescian
Loyal
To WP members, I guess it would be good that WP would initial other opposition parties to join its team and formed the sole opposition for the future. This would built it's base and give more focus to form a solid alternative voice. As I don't see the other parties would made any headway anyway.

If that would be possible, then WP would consider modifying it's logo as i find that the hammer is a bit out of fashion...maybe some nice design(still with a hammer) for a change! That's my personal opinion...

NO! No merger with Chee SJ. That guy is a liability. That's why SDP keeps on loosing.

Forvendet

Alfrescian
Loyal
I live in B-TP and voted CST, but the result was within my expectation, somewhere between 40 and 45%. CST would have won B-TP last GE if not for being sabotaged by CSJ and Desmond Lim moronic stunts and mutinies, setting him back about two GEs late before being able to step out to B-TP GRC. It's obvious thatLTK kept the recruitment, personnel management and pace of development in clinical control far better than CST and the result speaks for itself.