• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Workers’ Party hit by latest spate of resignations

leetahbar

Alfrescian
Loyal
Likewise PAP will never allow SDP to die out as well unless its a natural death itself.

SDP is being unceremoniously kept alive to act as living proof of how idiotic and triad-like it can be. it's a bad influence and credit smear to other reliable opp parties.

sinren67

Alfrescian
Loyal
It's okay if Salim does not have paper qualification, but has some zeal and energy to serve. unfortunately he is just as clueless as the other brickbats in WP and apparently he has realized he is just being made use of by the others.

Perhaps Salim left becos he feels that he can't "make it" in WP since he refused to be a Vivian Bala as a Yes man.

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
It's okay if Salim does not have paper qualification, but has some zeal and energy to serve. unfortunately he is just as clueless as the other brickbats in WP and apparently he has realized he is just being made use of by the others.

Sometimes I really wonder why Singaporeans would judge a person by his paper qualification!

What do you need an MP for? To give tuition to your children? To be an estate manager, running the Town Council? To run a country literally? Or to serve the people and become their voice in parliament? How much paper qualifications do you need for a person to serve the people and act as a representative in parliament? To speak out for them?

Do you need paper qualifications more or empathy? Do you need more As in examination or just more sincerity? Do you need to be a high flyer in career but who won't even know or even bothered (because they don't take public transport) about how painful is a 2 cents increase in bus fare affect the poor or just a normal man who can understand how cost of living is squeezing everybody in Singapore?

Give me a break! What you need are people with idealism, vision, passion, sincerity and empathy that could understand the majority's livelihood and problems, VOICE it out in parliament as your representative! Not someone who can have all the paper qualifications in the World but know nuts about the lives of ordinary people!

Goh Meng Seng

OverTheCounter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Likewise PAP will never allow SDP to die out as well unless its a natural death itself.

You think PAP cares about SDP? Nah.....

PAP cares far more about WP. That is why when WP is criticized, PAP HQ will send clones to defend their approved oppo.

Like wat I said before, Low Thia Khiang and Chiam See Tong should be paid ministerial salaries because the work they did to promote SG as a sham democracy is worth billions in fact! Without them, u think PAP can claim such a grandstanding on the international stage?

OverTheCounter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Sometimes I really wonder why Singaporeans would judge a person by his paper qualification!

What do you need an MP for? To give tuition to your children? To be an estate manager, running the Town Council? To run a country literally? Or to serve the people and become their voice in parliament? How much paper qualifications do you need for a person to serve the people and act as a representative in parliament? To speak out for them?

Do you need paper qualifications more or empathy? Do you need more As in examination or just more sincerity? Do you need to be a high flyer in career but who won't even know or even bothered (because they don't take public transport) about how painful is a 2 cents increase in bus fare affect the poor or just a normal man who can understand how cost of living is squeezing everybody in Singapore?

Give me a break! What you need are people with idealism, vision, passion, sincerity and empathy that could understand the majority's livelihood and problems, VOICE it out in parliament as your representative! Not someone who can have all the paper qualifications in the World but know nuts about the lives of ordinary people!

Goh Meng Seng

Read my post carefully. Did I say I disregard Salim becuz he low education? Of course not. I was disappoint that Salim and the other 3 took so long to realize they are better of in other party where their contribution will at least be recognize. People like salim can go any party and easily be a candidate.

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
And...for the record, I was the one who met Salim first prior to his application to become a WP member.

He is a person with great Passion and strong political belief in the CORE values of Democracy. I have never been bothered by his "ITE" background because I see a man with great passion and sincerity in serving the nation.

I have seen more "highly educated political idiots" in my life; people with great paper qualifications but so naive in their political thoughts. Salim, from the start till now, have more political acumen, ideology and passion than many people I have met in my political engagement. I am sure he will make a good People MP.

He may be young but he is one of the BEST Rally Speaker in GE 2006 mainly because he has the political FIRE and Passion in him. Don't underestimate him just by virtue of his lower paper qualification.

Goh Meng Seng

OverTheCounter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Perhaps Salim left becos he feels that he can't "make it" in WP since he refused to be a Vivian Bala as a Yes man.

I dunno whether salim is a yes or no man lah .... but if wat u say, u have to be a yes man to go ahead in WP, then all the more it reinforce my belief WP is approved oppo.

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
Read my post carefully. Did I say I disregard Salim becuz he low education? Of course not. I was disappoint that Salim and the other 3 took so long to realize they are better of in other party where their contribution will at least be recognize. People like salim can go any party and easily be a candidate.

Dear OverTheCounter,

Sorry if I have misunderstood you. Salim is not going to be just any "easy candidate" just because he is a Malay. He will be a great candidate to begin with.

Goh Meng Seng

OverTheCounter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
And...for the record, I was the one who met Salim first prior to his application to become a WP member.

He is a person with great Passion and strong political belief in the CORE values of Democracy. I have never been bothered by his "ITE" background because I see a man with great passion and sincerity in serving the nation.

I have seen more "highly educated political idiots" in my life; people with great paper qualifications but so naive in their political thoughts. Salim, from the start till now, have more political acumen, ideology and passion than many people I have met in my political engagement. I am sure he will make a good People MP.

He may be young but he is one of the BEST Rally Speaker in GE 2006 mainly because he has the political FIRE and Passion in him. Don't underestimate him just by virtue of his lower paper qualification.

Goh Meng Seng

That is good. If wat u assess of Salim is true, then it seem his decision to leave WP is the right one.

cass888

Alfrescian
Loyal
Uneducated firery speakers are the ones most prone to go for easy solutions. Poor people? Give them money. No money? Tax the rich. No more rich? Tax the middle class. The cycle continues.

Thanks, but no thanks.

Goh Meng Seng

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sure, being threatened with contempt of Parliament, ruffling Khaw for his "JB old age home" remark and attacked by 7 PAP MPs over job credits was surely not "passionate" enough, so they opted for a party that raises an issue 2-3 times a year that says little. How "passionate".

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
Sure, being threatened with contempt of Parliament, ruffling Khaw for his "JB old age home" remark and attacked by 7 PAP MPs over job credits was surely not "passionate" enough, so they opted for a party that raises an issue 2-3 times a year that says little. How "passionate".

It really depends on Voters' Mindset on what they deem as "credibility" and "track record".

For incumbents, be it PAP or Opposition, they will always have the advantage because they could have "track record", be it in Town Council management or parliament.

I have asked quite a number of people what are they looking for in a MP, most of them are not too sure after uttering "credibility" and "track record". :wink:

Goh Meng Seng

cleareyes

Alfrescian
Loyal
Uneducated firery speakers are the ones most prone to go for easy solutions. Poor people? Give them money. No money? Tax the rich. No more rich? Tax the middle class. The cycle continues.

Thanks, but no thanks.

This is such a pro-PAP argument.

Watchman

Alfrescian
Loyal
right_bar_q_secession.jpg

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal
It really depends on Voters' Mindset on what they deem as "credibility" and "track record".

For incumbents, be it PAP or Opposition, they will always have the advantage because they could have "track record", be it in Town Council management or parliament.

I have asked quite a number of people what are they looking for in a MP, most of them are not too sure after uttering "credibility" and "track record". :wink:

Goh Meng Seng

Not sure why you replied me because I didn't mention the words "credibility" or "track record".

But addressing your point, I would say I also look for such qualities. "Credibility" is the kind of person the candidate is, ie whether the person sticks to a line or is always waivering and inconsistent. For unelected persons, "track record" can also refer to their career and social contribution track record.

But I agree it is not easy for the average voter to discern if a candidate has them. On top of them, I want to ensure Parliament doesn't only have one party with more than 90%. So I will go for the 2nd "best".